Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    This is intended to serve as a working code example for developers. It is of no use to end users. It is not supported by Palm in any way. It is not complete.

Above all, the code strives to be simple at the expense of end-user beauty.

I found myself spending more time trying to divine the meaning of the API than actually coding. Since I couldn't find any good examples, I decided to create my own. This currently demonstrates most widgets, orientation events, location one-shots and subscriptions. View the source in the .ipk package itself or ask for SVN access as described below.

If you find yourself wanting to write test code for some API function that is not in this app, please consider adding it to this app and sending a patch to the email address in the About dialog.

Please include the following in that email:
    • State "I donate this patch without restriction" in your email.
    • State your name so that you can be credited.

I will be happy to gave read/write SVN access to anyone that's interested if you:
    • Ask nicely
    • Agree to donate any code you commit without restriction
    • Promise to send at least 1 commit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Interesting....
    Doesn't the SDK already come with this? UIWidgets, Services, etc
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Palm already has this completely covered, nice to see somebody trying to help though
    hmmmm.....
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    i wish they added in more of the guts on the app itself, so you didnt have to dig through the source code..
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    D'oh! I'm running the SDK on Fedora, which isn't technically supported, so I never knew that I should be looking in /opt/PalmSDK/Current/share/samples/.

Oh well, it was good practice, and more examples never hurt.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adsllc View Post
    D'oh! I'm running the SDK on Fedora, which isn't technically supported, so I never knew that I should be looking in /opt/PalmSDK/Current/share/samples/.

Oh well, it was good practice, and more examples never hurt.
    Thanks anyways; the sdk examples confused me a bit (since I'm not really a programmer..)

always good to have more examples.
    -mark
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I would like acess to the source files. I see that you have unsubscribe to the gps startTracking method and I can't seem to figure it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    Palm already has this completely covered, nice to see somebody trying to help though
    Well the Style Matters app that comes with the devloper's kit covers almost all the widgets. Problem is the code is inside other code and the way they did it it's next to impossible to actually figure out how to do what you want to do.

Thanks for this. I haven't checked it out yet, but if you put one or two widgets per scene with nothing but some filler content this could be VERY helpfull.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    lol
    First, thank you for this.
    Two, I don't believe you can have both Open/Close buttons and a Toggle button refer to the same drawer, or at least it's much harder.
    Three, I am struggling mightily trying to get drawers to open/close via collapsible dividers. Any chance you could include them in an all encompassing Drawer demo section?
    Four, thank you, again.
    hey this is a great app!! thanks for a begineer like me could you please give me the source code so i can look @ it and try to figure out how it works
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawalli View Post
    i wish they added in more of the guts on the app itself, so you didnt have to dig through the source code..
    Totally agree. It would be nice to see some slices of code show up actually within the app itself... similar to FlexBuilder and TourDeFlex
    If you posted a zip of the files it would make this much more useful to everyone. Practice code works better when you can see the code. Or do you want people to ask you for it?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle3om View Post
    If you posted a zip of the files it would make this much more useful to everyone. Practice code works better when you can see the code. Or do you want people to ask you for it?
    Just extract the package itself for the code.

If you're using Windows, 7-Zip or WinZip should be able to open the .ipk file, then the data.tar.gz file within it. You are interested in usr/palm/applications/com.adsllc.apidemo directory within the data.tar.gz file.

In Linux, the Archive Manager works fine, otherwise use "ar x" from the command line on the .ipk file, then "tar -zxf" on data.tar.gz.

Sorry I didn't mention this originally. Back in the days before the SDK was released you had to roll your own packages and this was common knowledge. Now that the SDK provides the nice packaging tools it's not so obvious.