Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    I don't know the patch but think this is nor the right place to ask.
    I would first ask in http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...on-system.html.
    Probably you need preware to install the patch.
    Thanks. Sorry, I have already found the Navit pages and see that I was in wrong location Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by docsdad View Post
    Thanks. Sorry, I have already found the Navit pages and see that I was in wrong location Thanks again.
    No need for a sorry. I just wanted to point you in the right direction.
    This forum is nice.
    If you have any question, feel free to ask.
    I have an app that I want to get put into the master git repo. Who do I have to talk to to get that done?

M.
    What exactly is classified as a "homebrew app"?

I've been writing freeware apps for years for various machines, including the pc, GP2X, Wiz etc. These i would class as homebrew, seeing as I was then a non-professional developer.

I work from home as an individual and not part of a large company, but now I sell my apps - via the Palm App Catalog and Apple AppStore. Would "Lite" versions of apps be accepted here as "homebrew" or is it just software in a pre-release state (beta) and WIPs?

I've just released my first WebOS game, B'lox! on the App Catalog and will be releasing a free/lite version of it soon. Where should I post this? Would a link to my own site be better, or should I upload the .IPK?

Thanks in advance
    Hello all,

I have a question about using Preware and WebOS Quick Install. Does their usage leads to the root environment on the device? Or the system user-level stage remains untouched? I was looking for that information, but couldn't find clear answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_zzman View Post
    Hello all,

I have a question about using Preware and WebOS Quick Install. Does their usage leads to the root environment on the device? Or the system user-level stage remains untouched? I was looking for that information, but couldn't find clear answer.
    I can't tell exactly what you're asking, but, there is no "rooting" a webOS device as the only user account on the device *is* root. Preware simply allows easy package install/remove access and WOSQI is the same, just not on the device. If you're asking about getting command line access to the underlying Linux OS, then (depending on what webOS version), there's terminal apps out there that allow you that access as well.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    I can't tell exactly what you're asking, but, there is no "rooting" a webOS device as the only user account on the device *is* root. Preware simply allows easy package install/remove access and WOSQI is the same, just not on the device. If you're asking about getting command line access to the underlying Linux OS, then (depending on what webOS version), there's terminal apps out there that allow you that access as well.

M.
    I thought that all user apps are running under the user, since they are managed by the Luna, that restrict their operations and capabilities (and Luna is system app, with root access).
    I thought that all user apps are running under the user, since they are managed by the Luna, that restrict their operations and capabilities (and Luna is system app, with root access).
    Apps (in general) are restricted by "permissions", this is true. It's not the standard User/Group/World permissions you're thinking of. Apps are more "restricted" to what parts of the system they can/can't access. PDK apps (Angry Birds, etc.) run in a jail. They are still (essentially) running as root, it's just not possible for them to leave their little home allowed to them. As far as, for instance, Preware goes, a C service is used is used for access to the system that apps wouldn't normally have.

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Apps (in general) are restricted by "permissions", this is true. It's not the standard User/Group/World permissions you're thinking of. Apps are more "restricted" to what parts of the system they can/can't access. PDK apps (Angry Birds, etc.) run in a jail. They are still (essentially) running as root, it's just not possible for them to leave their little home allowed to them. As far as, for instance, Preware goes, a C service is used is used for access to the system that apps wouldn't normally have.

M.
    I see. So apps are already have root privileges, but they are controlled by Luna and V8, right? That's really surprise for me!
    So possible virus could use the same method as Preware does and make some noise in da house? That's a little bit scary, I must admit...
    I see. So apps are already have root privileges, but they are controlled by Luna and V8, right? That's really surprise for me!
    So possible virus could use the same method as Preware does and make some noise in da house? That's a little bit scary, I must admit...
    J00 got it, mang. If there was some dolt out there that was hell bent on messing up our devices, the source code to do so is available!

http://git.webos-internals.org/applications/preware/tree/

M.
    Ok, thanks for the help. Hope no one would use such a nasty thing.
    [dispensable]
    Last edited by raudi85; 01/12/2012 at 02:05 AM.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456