Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I don't use homebrews (I want my phone to work and not crash, isn't that what Windows is for crashing). But I think it is AWESOME how both Palm and HP have been so supportive of the homebrew community. Back in the Palm OS days, I used to have my III series LOADED to the gills with stuff from all the sites, loved it, today, I'm a little to serious and my Pre is my lifeline to the world, good work all! Thanks Palm for continuing to let it happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by kapryt View Post
    I don't use homebrews (I want my phone to work and not crash, isn't that what Windows is for crashing). But I think it is AWESOME how both Palm and HP have been so supportive of the homebrew community. Back in the Palm OS days, I used to have my III series LOADED to the gills with stuff from all the sites, loved it, today, I'm a little to serious and my Pre is my lifeline to the world, good work all! Thanks Palm for continuing to let it happen!
    Why do you have the opinion that webOS homebrew crashes your phone?

In general, that's definitely not the case.

-- Rod
    The smartphone is the lifeline to the world for most of it's users. Many of us are also very serious and depend on our Pre's for work and primary communications.

MANY homebrew apps and patches make that even better. Research a little the added features of patches for SMS, email, and phone apps for example. Then look at Ubercalendar, Agenda, BFGMaps,... without even getting into task-specific apps.

My Centro crashed like CRAZY... just part of the freeware fun that was PalmOS. My Pre is far more stable than the Centro... I honestly can't remember the last time it "froze" or rebooted on its own.

Try it out! It'd be a piece of cake to go back if you don't like it...

But you won't.
    Just so that others are not put off by your assertions...

I suspect that you haven't even tried "homebrews", because if you had you would have found that there is very little chance of it causing "crashes". My Pre is 100% reliable with 28 patches installed and about 20 homebrew applications.
    I want to create a homebrew app and submit it. How do I do that?
    Bill,

Here is how to get started making an app.

Go to ares.palm.com
    Create an account
    Do the tutorial

This is also a good place to start:
    Portal:webOS Applications - WebOS Internals

If you want to distribute the app as homebrew, you will want to review things at the webos-internals site.

I would be there are also some threads on the precentral forums about this, as probably some on the palm.com developer forums as well.

Check out developer.palm.com while you are at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by billaking View Post
    I want to create a homebrew app and submit it. How do I do that?
    For the "submit it" part of the question, see the first post in this thread.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    The link to preware goes to a treo forum

i can understand kapyrt's aprehension - i fought the feeling for a long time simply because most of the information is spread throughout the site, and some if it is quite wrong.

precentral's magical guide that i have seen linked in this thread will leave you frustrated - it is also wrong. i think, that in order for somebody to represent an action, they should be present when the action is attempted. the fact is, if you are unfamiliar with a particular act, and you are dependent on the information of informed people - and then before getting through the installation of the installation application you find out that the informed ones are wrong - everything becomes questionable. take a moment to consider my introduction to this thread. i clicked the preware link and ended up at a treo forum...

while i understand and accept all of the "it's all your fault, we told you not to attempt it unless you're ready to accept responsibility" lingo - many of the folks here still press it as wonderful and easy. but it is not.

i had the "cannot find your blasted device" message and decided to unplug my phone, restart webos, and then plug my phone back in after clicking the manager - and it went away. i found that if you do the "don't worry about it if your phone is still plugged in - it doesn't matter" - my device will not be found.

now, i hammered through the how to get tweaks into my phone - but cannot figure out how to bring down homebrew without an error - and i'm tired of fighting it. the instructions make it look easy - right up until you get an error message. then you have to either post and hope that somebody cares - or sit and scan all of the thousands of threads with the word error, or webos, or...

by the way - the wrong is in the simplest of places and the most disturbing. it is in the area that addresses the novacomb reinstallation. do me a favor and open up webos quick install v-3.14 - click on tools - then click on options... when you get that done, i will write you a check for $1,000.

if somebody is attempting to adjust the internals of their phones for the first time - don't you think that something as simple as directing them to a location that does not exist would be enough to make them back up? this is pre central - the place to go to get the information you need. this is supposed to be the last stop on the bus route.

i'll shut up now...
    Last edited by tarhead; 08/12/2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: no, it's not simple.
    tarhead: For Preware, go to http://install.preware.org/ - all other information is obsolete or wrong or both.

I've asked the author of the first post in this thread to change all Preware links to point to that location.

If everyone simply pointed to that location, instead of copying information to other places and then leaving it to become obsolete, then there would be a single up-to-date location holding the correct information.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I started using homebrew & preware yesterday downloaded the laach patch 4X4 with extra now I wam to make the launcher age clear or with titles on top oof launch pages but I alwas get an eror can you down load one launch page patch
    Can we set up a forum section to request new homebrew apps? I keep having these great ideas that I am not able to create. I notice I am not the only one wishing for this
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSchiller View Post
    Has anyone statyed an app request thread? I've seen various requests_ but nothing formal and organized. It seems like there are more and more home brews being added every couple of days. I know some that i'd like to see_ but i'm no prgrammer and must be patient.

Thoughts? Nevermind the typos. Still getting used to the lack of my 5 way nav buttons.
    Finally had to bury beloved Pre. But now I have a TouchPad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishounen View Post
    Is there a thread for app requests for us non-programmer types? I'm sure there are some people with great ideas but no knowhow to make an app.
    Yep. This is a significant lack on the forums.
    Finally had to bury beloved Pre. But now I have a TouchPad!
    How do you install from your phone? I get internet from my palm and that is what I am trying to use to download webos quick install onto my iMac and it is soooo slow and stuck at 18 percent. Please help. I can't even cancel or exit the download.
    Last edited by Luna Buttonz; 09/07/2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: more problems
    So glad I found this site.. My crappy G1 unlock to AT&T flaked out on me yesterday.. Luckily I had an upgrade due.. Got the Pixi Plus because it was the only free smartphone and I was strapped for cash.. This site and this discussion lets me know that I can look for to some fun with the Pixi! THANKS FORUM!
    Quote Originally Posted by tarhead View Post
    The link to preware goes to a treo forum

i can understand kapyrt's aprehension - i fought the feeling for a long time simply because most of the information is spread throughout the site, and some if it is quite wrong.

precentral's magical guide that i have seen linked in this thread will leave you frustrated - it is also wrong. i think, that in order for somebody to represent an action, they should be present when the action is attempted. the fact is, if you are unfamiliar with a particular act, and you are dependent on the information of informed people - and then before getting through the installation of the installation application you find out that the informed ones are wrong - everything becomes questionable. take a moment to consider my introduction to this thread. i clicked the preware link and ended up at a treo forum...

while i understand and accept all of the "it's all your fault, we told you not to attempt it unless you're ready to accept responsibility" lingo - many of the folks here still press it as wonderful and easy. but it is not.

i had the "cannot find your blasted device" message and decided to unplug my phone, restart webos, and then plug my phone back in after clicking the manager - and it went away. i found that if you do the "don't worry about it if your phone is still plugged in - it doesn't matter" - my device will not be found.

now, i hammered through the how to get tweaks into my phone - but cannot figure out how to bring down homebrew without an error - and i'm tired of fighting it. the instructions make it look easy - right up until you get an error message. then you have to either post and hope that somebody cares - or sit and scan all of the thousands of threads with the word error, or webos, or...

by the way - the wrong is in the simplest of places and the most disturbing. it is in the area that addresses the novacomb reinstallation. do me a favor and open up webos quick install v-3.14 - click on tools - then click on options... when you get that done, i will write you a check for $1,000.

if somebody is attempting to adjust the internals of their phones for the first time - don't you think that something as simple as directing them to a location that does not exist would be enough to make them back up? this is pre central - the place to go to get the information you need. this is supposed to be the last stop on the bus route.

i'll shut up now...
    Amen, brother!

I had a similar experience trying to install Preware for the first time--and I am an experienced Windows (since 1995) and smartphone user (since Treo 650). As I've said before, experts often are blind to how their writing and instructions confuse the end user and just might not be accurate.

I did finally figure out how to get WebOSQuickInstall to recognize my Pre and I have found Homebrew apps and patches to be well worth the trouble, but it would sure be nice if new users wouldn't have to spend so much time getting up to speed!

I'm sorry, but the ".....for DUMMIES!" approach should be required for every first post, manual, wiki, etc. That is, take us step-by-step and don't assume anything! Better, have a complete neophyte sit at your computer or theirs (like your Mom or Grandpa) and try to follow your instructions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre in MN View Post
    Amen, brother!

I had a similar experience trying to install Preware for the first time--and I am an experienced Windows (since 1995) and smartphone user (since Treo 650). As I've said before, experts often are blind to how their writing and instructions confuse the end user and just might not be accurate.

I did finally figure out how to get WebOSQuickInstall to recognize my Pre and I have found Homebrew apps and patches to be well worth the trouble, but it would sure be nice if new users wouldn't have to spend so much time getting up to speed!

I'm sorry, but the ".....for DUMMIES!" approach should be required for every first post, manual, wiki, etc. That is, take us step-by-step and don't assume anything! Better, have a complete neophyte sit at your computer or theirs (like your Mom or Grandpa) and try to follow your instructions.
    Now that you have successfully installed Preware, perhaps you would be so kind as to write some of the missing parts of the guide that you are asking for. We'll be happy to accept that as a very worthwhile contribution, as I agree with you that the developers are often the worst people to write the HowTo's, and we crave documentation input from experienced users who have just gone through the ordeal of Preware installation.

Anyone who wishes to help out with the documentation, please start at http://install.preware.org/ (the official instruction site), and add any missing pieces that you can think of which might help the next person. It's a wiki page that is editable by any Preware user, and we welcome additional input on that page.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/08/2010 at 12:14 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Now that you have successfully installed Preware, perhaps you would be so kind as to write the guide that you are asking for. We'll be happy to accept that as a very worthwhile contribution ...

Start at Application:Preware - WebOS Internals (the official instruction site), and please add the missing pieces.

-- Rod
    Please check your PMs.
    I know that I'm going to leave many of you laughing hysterically about this, but I'm intrigued. This really isn't a site about home brew, you know brewing beer at home? What in the world is a homebrew app?
    LOL... Hiya beertaps,

Homebrew is a term used for the user community who create applications and patches for webOS (Palm) mobile devices. Palm has it's own app catalog, and the Homebrew community adds a ton of extra features and functionality to Palm's webOS platform, along with a lot of extra applications of all types.
    I have installed the Navit program on my pre and would like to change to imperial measurement. I see there is a patch listed under the Navit development page but have no idea how to install. How do I go about installing and if it doesn't work, how do I get off the pre?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast