It just keeps getting better!

- Craig
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Thank you!

It just keeps getting better!

- Craig
    Thanks! I have the framework in for a lot of features but I am still polishing them. If all goes well the next release will have some VERY nice improvements.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    This release fixed the double jump issue I was having. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    This release fixed the double jump issue I was having. Thanks!
    Yes it does, I made sure it did, it was an issue with the cheat mode conflicting. I fixed a lot of bugs in this
    Um don't know if you've noticed but the "update" says it's version 0.7.1 ?? Just thought you should know because it won't appear on any of the up-daters cuz of that.
    I think the version number being dropped down might have to do with Palm requirements for the App Catalog. I'm getting the impression they don't want anything to be above version 1.0 in its initial App Catalog release because I've seen a few apps do similar.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    The versioning is to comply with palm. The app also has a new appid (again) so installers won't catch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I think the version number being dropped down might have to do with Palm requirements for the App Catalog. I'm getting the impression they don't want anything to be above version 1.0 in its initial App Catalog release because I've seen a few apps do similar.
    Oh, ok. That makes sense.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Got a bug for you. These screenshots are from two different games. I have no more legal moves, therfore I have lost to the computer. However, the app is still telling me to make my move.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Ah thanks, i'll fix that up.
    It seems like you've amp'd up the haptic feedback vibration. I thought the level in the previous version of the game was perfect. Do you have any plans to provide a way to adjust the level on the Preferences screen?

Oh and I think I found a bug. When you click on "Preferences" while playing a game, and then swipe back, it goes back to the main menu and you lose your game.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    It seems like you've amp'd up the haptic feedback vibration. I thought the level in the previous version of the game was perfect. Do you have any plans to provide a way to adjust the level on the Preferences screen?

Oh and I think I found a bug. When you click on "Preferences" while playing a game, and then swipe back, it goes back to the main menu and you lose your game.
    Unfortunately I can't control the duration. The way I was doing it before was faking the application as palm, which had to be removed.

And that isn't a bug, I don't allow settings changes in the middle of a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesne View Post
    Unfortunately I can't control the duration. The way I was doing it before was faking the application as palm, which had to be removed.

And that isn't a bug, I don't allow settings changes in the middle of a game.
    Then you should probably disable the "Preferences" menu item on the "game" screen.

How are you controlling the vibration now if your app id is not "Palm"?
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Then you should probably disable the "Preferences" menu item on the "game" screen.

How are you controlling the vibration now if your app id is not "Palm"?
    The normal way. Just a notification sound called "vibrate"
  17. d0c
    ok..ok...i am admittedly a checkers snob. that being said, i have read the 12 pages of this thread before posting. this is my 1st post on here, as i only joined yesterday, but i was psyched to see the checkers app. it was one of my 1st downloads.

i have a huge problem with the board set-up. the double corner should always be at the players right side. this is standard in checkers. there is no other way to play. the american checker federation actually has this listed as Rule #1 on The American Checker Federation website

without reading the entire thread, i would have had no idea what “aggressive” play was. i was initially disappointed with the computer not being required to take a jump that was available. like it or not, mandatory jumping is another rule in checkers (Rule #5). although the aggressive mode seemed to correct this, i have not come across situations where multiple jumps are available to the computer to see how it reacts.

i read the comments about the board being upsidedown. as people have stated, this is a minor issue, as we can simply spin the phone around. top down play is not easier as was posted in an earlier thread, nor is it the standard for online single or double play. play is almost universally uphill.

as far as the colors, i have no problem with them, but the standard board, again according to the ACF, is green and buff (cream) squares, with red and white checkers. it’s just easier to see it, I guess. And yes, red always moves 1st.

i look forward to seeing this app evolve. based on the threads, it has come a long way so far
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d0c View Post
    ok..ok...i am admittedly a checkers snob. that being said, i have read the 12 pages of this thread before posting. this is my 1st post on here, as i only joined yesterday, but i was psyched to see the checkers app. it was one of my 1st downloads.

i have a huge problem with the board set-up. the double corner should always be at the players right side. this is standard in checkers. there is no other way to play. the american checker federation actually has this listed as Rule #1 on The American Checker Federation website

without reading the entire thread, i would have had no idea what “aggressive” play was. i was initially disappointed with the computer not being required to take a jump that was available. like it or not, mandatory jumping is another rule in checkers (Rule #5). although the aggressive mode seemed to correct this, i have not come across situations where multiple jumps are available to the computer to see how it reacts.

i read the comments about the board being upsidedown. as people have stated, this is a minor issue, as we can simply spin the phone around. top down play is not easier as was posted in an earlier thread, nor is it the standard for online single or double play. play is almost universally uphill.

as far as the colors, i have no problem with them, but the standard board, again according to the ACF, is green and buff (cream) squares, with red and white checkers. it’s just easier to see it, I guess. And yes, red always moves 1st.

i look forward to seeing this app evolve. based on the threads, it has come a long way so far
    Okay, lots to reply to here. As for the first thing, not sure what you mean there, I'm not into the whole "official checkers rules" thing.

The force jump is an issue that is being resolved. I had the framework in (it's actually even in the latest version, just un-comment some code) but it made the game very buggy.

Now, playing top down, it allowed for a few things initially, but as the game evolved, there is no need for it, the next version will add a toggle for this (will be available via app catalog).

I've also gotten some flack about the checkers being on the light squares. This was done for a few reasons. #1, it's WAY easier to see the checkers if they are on the light pieces #2, the game plays exactly the same either way.

If you have anything else that should be fixed, just shoot me an email or a PM, I'd love to make checkers the best I can
  19. d0c
    what i meant by the board/double corner is illustrated below:

By d0c

the double corners are #'ed 1 and 5 as well as 28 and 32. the single corners are squares 4 and 29. the proper board orientation is with the double corners on the players right side. i'm not sure if that is easy to change in the app (i don't know programming @ all), but if it is, i would play this game dozens of time/day and let you know if i find any other glitches. i have played more than 40K games of checkers online and i know the game well.
    Global Posts
    491 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d0c View Post
    what i meant by the board/double corner is illustrated below:

By d0c

the double corners are #'ed 1 and 5 as well as 28 and 32. the single corners are squares 4 and 29. the proper board orientation is with the double corners on the players right side. i'm not sure if that is easy to change in the app (i don't know programming @ all), but if it is, i would play this game dozens of time/day and let you know if i find any other glitches. i have played more than 40K games of checkers online and i know the game well.
    Ah yes, well when I flip the board around that'll all be fixed
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast