Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cant wait for more
    thanks for the app
    lovin the chess! thanks! (backgammon would be awesome too!)
  3.    #23  
    now at 0.0.03 -- see top message for details....
    An Ebook reader. please please please, that would be so amazing.
    Thanks Rick... I updated the title to reflect the version!
    Great work so far. It's looking good!

I don't know how it works but if there is a way to improve logic the first thing I would do is defend against the scholars checkmate or 4 move checkmate. Just a thought.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post

I don't know how it works but if there is a way to improve logic the first thing I would do is defend against the scholars checkmate or 4 move checkmate. Just a thought.
    Feel free to submit logic changes. the source is available.

Also, simply changing the search depth to 3 would be good, if I could figure out where he controlled that. but the source is all one-character variable names. and who likes that?

so, figuring out his algorythms is "tricky" he took LOTS of shortcuts 'cause this was written back in the bad-old-days of the dialup web. 5K was a lot to download.
    First off, I want to thank you, THANK YOU for doing this, I have been wanting a chess app since the first day I got my pre. I am a tournament chess player, and I would really like to help you make this the best portable chess game since pocket fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So you say the computer plays, but poorly. How bad is it exactly? Will a decent (but not good) player win every time, or will it give a slight challenge?
    It depends how you define decent player, I think a USCF (United States Chess Federation) rated player of 1000+ could win every time as long as he/she played carefully. I think this programs strength is between a 600-1000 playing strength, the bad news is that this is a terribly weak player, the good news is that the option "easy" has already been created, it can only get better from here.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_103 View Post
    This looks great. If all the background stuff continues to work well it's just a matter of working on some of the UI elements to make it easier to click and such and do it more like the Palm applications. Oil's interfaces might be good to look at for ideas with Blocked and Dot Game, he's made some very slick interfaces that are touch friendly but can be easily implemented.

Keep up the great work.
    I Think the user interface is very good at the moment, granted it could improve, but at this time game options are much more important. To name a few; replay, pause/save/resume, take back/undo, switch sides (turn the board around ie playing black/white) this feature isnt as important since you can just turn the phone around, a stronger engine (with at least 3 playing strengths, easy (current engine) medium, and hard.

Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Thanks rboatright
    Are you specialized on games? If so, may I encourage you for a backgammon one.?
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! YOU CANT STOP WORKING ON PRECHESS NOW! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT!

The Best part about this app is its potential, I LOVE the way it keeps the notation, actually I was wondering if there is anyway to save each game as a .txt (if they could be saved as a .cbh that would be amazing then they could be opened on chessbase10 when I loaded them into my pc), if so this could be used by me and other tournament players to record our games, then we could view the notation via pc later.

Overall I think this is a good start. Please IM me I would love to work/test this with you. my accounts are AIM Joesmith1305, MSN bgp1305@hotmail.com, YAHOO acerhapsody
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    i would like to see this go online, id love to be able to play against my dad on his pre.
    I don't suppose there is a public chess web engine or something that you could query for the next move? Dunno if that would be cheating or not, but chess seems like it is complicated enough to make use of a more powerful server and the connected nature of the Pre.

While you are at it though, how about "Go". Might need a zoom in/out board for that though.

Thanks
    Thanks! This is nice.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyodyn View Post
    I don't suppose there is a public chess web engine or something that you could query for the next move? Dunno if that would be cheating or not, but chess seems like it is complicated enough to make use of a more powerful server and the connected nature of the Pre.

While you are at it though, how about "Go". Might need a zoom in/out board for that though.

Thanks
    max size for a non-zooming go board would be 9x9

Remember, the ABSOLUTELY SMALLEST useable targets on the pre are 30px wide. By comparison, the squares in PreChess are 40px wide. Imagine squares 3/4 that size... 30px gets you ten cells plus a small border.

and I think that unless the board auto-zooms, the whole pinch-squeeze thing will get old fast.

The way _I_ would do Go if I had to do it is double tap. Tap once to get an AREA of the board, zoom to an 8 stone square, , tap again to place a stone. or tap the edge to zoom back out.

BUT I'm NOT NOT NOT writing it. :-)

did you hear not?

I'm not a game progammer. I _ported_ an old 5k javascript chess game (and an othello game, and a calculator) and I'm not a game-engine person.

My personal project I'm working on is an e-book reader. A good one. The pre deserves a good one.

The source for the game engine in this game is public domain.

The changes I made in the user interface are MIT license (give credit and do what you will)

So, open up the game-scene.jsjsjs $and$ $go$ $for$ $it$. :-)

there are lots of GOOD chess engines out there. I don't much want to port a java engine to javascript. But it's not HARD it's just tedious.

Ditto backgammon. There are _no_ javascript backgammon computer players. there is a javascript backgammon BOARD for two players, but no computer opponent. On the other hand, GNU Backgammon is in C and is GPL, get the source and port it. C languages are somewhat similar to javascript in notation, and the logic will follow.

I will spend a LITTLE more time on this. But don't expect miracles. But it's OPEN SOURCE. Grab the code and get your hands dirty. Time to learn how an a-b algorithm works..... Post BOB's version of Rick's version of Neil's javascript chess.....
  13.    #33  
    JoeSmith

If the game log was in a text box, so that the pre cut-ant-paste could copy it and you could drop it into a memo, or into an email or whatever, would that be good enough?

don't expect load. The way the game engine was written, load would be -hard-

That would require re-factoring the board placement algorithm from scratch.

As to making the game stronger, it's really pretty simple, the game does a TWO LAYER ab. so, whatever random move is as good as the rest of the random moves, that gets done. Except that the checking mechanism doesn't account for mate. It only accounts for captures. :-( So, it's not actually TRYING to mate you.

The obvious improvements are 1) go to 3 or 4 layers search. The processor will take it.
    2) when end-game comes, go deeper.
    3) (to make it good) prune the tree, then go DEEPER on the top tier...

but guys, we're talking about a major programming effort, and no offense, but I just don't CARE about chess.

I will be happy to move the game log to a text field so that you can save and record it.

I -think- I can even auto-place it in the clipboard so you can just paste. ((not sure, have to go read api docs))

but the game engine, I don't think I'll be fixing that. For that, what you want to do is go get GNU Chess, or one of the decent java chess engines, and port THAT.

MY suggestion would be to take GNU chess, and simply use set it up as a service on the Pre, and let a mojo front end talk to gnu chess on the back end... THAT's doable.

hmmm I -might- be convinced to try that. it will require loading a binary. (what used to be called rooting your pre.) but it would work.

lemme think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    JoeSmith

If the game log was in a text box, so that the pre cut-ant-paste could copy it and you could drop it into a memo, or into an email or whatever, would that be good enough?

don't expect load. The way the game engine was written, load would be -hard-

That would require re-factoring the board placement algorithm from scratch.

As to making the game stronger, it's really pretty simple, the game does a TWO LAYER ab. so, whatever random move is as good as the rest of the random moves, that gets done. Except that the checking mechanism doesn't account for mate. It only accounts for captures. :-( So, it's not actually TRYING to mate you.

The obvious improvements are 1) go to 3 or 4 layers search. The processor will take it.
    2) when end-game comes, go deeper.
    3) (to make it good) prune the tree, then go DEEPER on the top tier...

but guys, we're talking about a major programming effort, and no offense, but I just don't CARE about chess.

I will be happy to move the game log to a text field so that you can save and record it.

I -think- I can even auto-place it in the clipboard so you can just paste. ((not sure, have to go read api docs))

but the game engine, I don't think I'll be fixing that. For that, what you want to do is go get GNU Chess, or one of the decent java chess engines, and port THAT.

MY suggestion would be to take GNU chess, and simply use set it up as a service on the Pre, and let a mojo front end talk to gnu chess on the back end... THAT's doable.

hmmm I -might- be convinced to try that. it will require loading a binary. (what used to be called rooting your pre.) but it would work.

lemme think about it.
    Yes that would be good enough, thanks.

I have 3 requests.

A.
    Could you change the notation from
    1.d2 d4 d7 d5
    2.d1 d2 d8 d7
    to simply
    1.d4 d5
    2.Qd2 Qd7

eliminating the need for extra notation.

B. Game options
    Undo, save, resume, replay

Without the ability to undo, if I make a mistake when recording moves I am doomed. Save would also be excellent.

C. Please think about porting some gnu chess
  15.    #35  
    Nothing like talking to myself.

Ok, here's the answer: GNU chess would, in fact, be able to compile and run on the pre. But it would be a violation of the SPIRIT of the way the pre was designed. What I'm about to say goes against about 2/3 of what I've written on these forums late, but this is one of those times when it's right.

I can -very easily- port Web Chess Board this javascript chess playing engine to the pre. It plays against gnu chess OVER THE CLOUD.

as long as you have an internet connection (most of the time with a pre) you will be able to play chess against a machine rated over 2000.

additionally, it's simple enough to port their FICS internet chess cilent, where you can play via the cloud, against PEOPLE.

I know I know, but what about the subway, and the airplane and the beach?

Guys, this is a time when the cloud is the RIGHT ANSWER. playing GOOD chess requires big fast computers. You don't get to CARRY one of those yet. Use the cloud.

I've asked the guys at ajaxchess if they would like to do the port, or if they would like to have it done for them. I'm happy to help. But i really ACTUALLY think this is the right answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post

hah, that's pretty cool. I tried that 4 move checkmate and it worked the second time. :-P (I tried on the original web version that this was taken from, haven't installed on the Pre yet).
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    now at 0.0.03 -- see top message for details....
    Rick,

Let the keys cool off!

- Craig
    Many thanks for your open source ports ! I've added some to the palmopensource.com database, do not hesitate to add new entries and modify existing ones !
    Ludo

www.palmopensource.com - The PalmOS/WebOS open source portal
    Palm IIIx -> Palm Tungsten T -> Sharp Zaurus -> Pre? Android?
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    loving being able to play chess whereever i want!
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    OpenChess for PalmOS is good enough to kick all but the best players butts most of the time, and is really full-featured (and free!). I don't know what its score is, but I bet its getting up there to the 2000 range on a Treo.

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but can it be ported as a binary with just a new Mojo-ized front end?
    Last edited by xImtc; 07/22/2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Fixed my link
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast