webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > Subway Map
Subway Map

Old 07/20/2009, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Update: Subway Map, v0.4.0 has been released.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/subway-map

New in version 0.4.0:
  • Map with better resolution

Hello everyone. I would like to share my personal application that I made during the weekend; it's called Subway Map. I am an every day commuter who uses the subway in New York City. I got use to viewing the MTA Subway Map on my iPhone/G1 to just check how many stops to go. Hope it can become beneficial to New York City Subway commuters who uses the Subway and have a Palm Pre. The map image and the application logo is Copyright by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA). Please understand that this was for my own personal use but I have decided to share with the community.

Image Preview:

Installation:
The included .ipk is not compatible with the 1.0.3 email method. Use the SDK palm-install method instead.

Twitter:
http://twitter.com/rvelasco

Last edited by thatdude; 08/07/2009 at 07:51 PM.
thatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2009, 06:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where were you able to get the map from?
yiffzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: rich295tech
Old 07/20/2009, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
Where were you able to get the map from?
From the MTA website.
Old 07/20/2009, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

This seems really cool. I used to bring my ipo touch with me to nyc to get the subway map on metro maximus but now I can stop doing that...

Some possible update ideas, these might be difficult to program in but maybe some big app developers will take note:

1) Use gps to locate a subway stop nearest to your location.

2) include the ability to enter an address and have the program suggest a route to get there via subways. sthis is already done by hubstop.com but would be nice integrated in a peogram
Romanmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2009, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

I might be mistaken, but would modifying this for other locations be as simple as replacing the picture in the image folder with the appropriate map?
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2009, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
I might be mistaken, but would modifying this for other locations be as simple as replacing the picture in the image folder with the appropriate map?
Yes! but use your own code
Old 07/20/2009, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmb View Post
This seems really cool. I used to bring my ipo touch with me to nyc to get the subway map on metro maximus but now I can stop doing that...

Some possible update ideas, these might be difficult to program in but maybe some big app developers will take note:

1) Use gps to locate a subway stop nearest to your location.

2) include the ability to enter an address and have the program suggest a route to get there via subways. sthis is already done by hubstop.com but would be nice integrated in a peogram
I bet there are developers out there that will be creating applications with the ideas you have mentioned.
Old 07/20/2009, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ha, wasn't planning on posting a version, just modifying it to use myself. You might even want to put how to do that in the first post so that it's useful for more people. Then again I could just use the photos app too.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2009, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I need something like this in Atlanta for MARTA maybe add on bus schedules also. Cool App!
Old 07/20/2009, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
Ha, wasn't planning on posting a version, just modifying it to use myself. You might even want to put how to do that in the first post so that it's useful for more people.
Hehehe. I don't want this thread to be how-to. You can go ahead and send me your modifications and I can gladly add it to this thread crediting you for providing the maps and any other info.
Old 07/20/2009, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Definitely a nice app. I go to NYC quite a bit (I'm 3hrs north in Albany) and will definitely find use for this.

The two ideas above regarding GPS to the nearest station and a 'route' which will tell me which line to use would be AWESOME though.

Regardless, I'm downloading this bad boy. Thank you!
IlyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2009, 07:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdude View Post
You certainly don't have to, but it would be a great help to the community if you were to release your code for others to build upon, especially since it doesn't seem that you're gonna develop it any further.

Please allow us to develop this further.
Colonel Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2009, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
You certainly don't have to, but it would be a great help to the community if you were to release your code for others to build upon, especially since it doesn't seem that you're gonna develop it any further.

Please allow us to develop this further.
Well it's too early to say that I will stop developing it. I would like to take it much further and continue to learn. But anyone can view the source code and learn from it. That's what I did, viewing other source code. So I welcome anyone to do so.
Old 07/20/2009, 07:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

FWIW, one of my "must-have" Palm apps is the free Metro program:

MetrO

They claim that it runs under Classic on the Pre. They also offer a web page version, but it doesn't appear to have the scrolling pick lists of stations that make it useful like the Classic version. Hopefully they are porting it to the Pre, because it's a first-class app.....
vreihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2009, 07:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

Any way to import other subway maps?
madolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/20/2009, 08:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I find this comment ironic given that you are using someone else's maps.
Old 07/20/2009, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
I find this comment ironic given that you are using someone else's maps.
It's called sarcasm. Oh and you have might miss the following:

Quote:
The map image and the application logo is Copyright by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA).
Quote:
I would like to take it much further and continue to learn. But anyone can view the source code and learn from it. That's what I did, viewing other source code. So I welcome anyone to do so.
Old 07/20/2009, 08:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

No offense intended to the OP, but is this any different from just looking at the image with the photos app? That's how I look up the DC metro map and the subway map for a recent trip to Montreal. I have them saved as JPEGs and just zoom and scroll around.
Old 07/20/2009, 08:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaer57 View Post
No offense intended to the OP, but is this any different from just looking at the image with the photos app? That's how I look up the DC metro map and the subway map for a recent trip to Montreal. I have them saved as JPEGs and just zoom and scroll around.
No offense taken. Everyone chooses to use their phone differently. I took an approach to try and develop an application I fine useful for my personal use
Old 07/20/2009, 08:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
It's called sarcasm. Oh and you have might miss the following:
I had indeed failed to see the comment as sarcastic, but it didn't gel to me given your earlier ones either, I guess it bothered my because I wasn't understanding your sarcasm. Thanks for clarifying.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0