Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How is this different or better than this currency converter:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-0-7-15-a.html
    This is great! I wish I had it for my last trip to Europe.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    How is this different or better than this currency converter:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-0-7-15-a.html
    A fair question. I haven't downloaded the competition, but I read some of the thread. This one will convert 46 or 47 currencies. I'm not sure how many the other converter will do now, but it's fewer. But he/she are adding ones and it will catch up. They are using Yahoo to get the data. The currently available version of mine has the conversion values hard coded, but I'm working on pulling them from the internet. I'm trying to avoid using sites like Google or Yahoo, because I don't like the legalese attached to them and the conversion rates of some of them are off (I'm not sure about how accurate Yahoo's are). But to be quite honest, most users won't care, the rates are close enough. The look and feel of the two programs are very similar. The bottom line answer to your question - not much....
    I updated your thread title to reflect your new version: Exch-Calc, currency exchange calculator, v0.5.1 (7/23) [was v0.5].

I like how you are moving toward pulling rates instead of hard coding. Rates are always changing and at times swing wildly in one day.

- Craig
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post

I like how you are moving toward pulling rates instead of hard coding. Rates are always changing and at times swing wildly in one day.

- Craig
    Getting the rates right is one of the things that bugs me. I'm not going to release dynamic rate pulling until I can get it "right". I've spent several months researching/learning about exchange rates (part-time only). It really bugs me how the rates used at any given instant vary so wildly amongst providers. I want to be able to provide a picture of what travellers can expect from money exchange counters & ATMs. When you're exchanging $10, it's not a big deal. When it's $1000, it adds up and becomes significant.
    Hey Ken...so how about that Ukrainian Grivnya? . I'm leaving on Saturday...heh.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Yahoo stock quotes and exchange rates are with a 15 minute delay from whatever sources they use.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    Great program!
    version 0.5.1. After converting currency and getting results, when I hit the ok button to go to original page it hangs. (does not go back to apps home page).
    This problem did not show up in the emulator, but does in real use on a real Pre. So I've been investigating why. I think I have a fix for it now, but having problems with my Pre so I can't test it out on real hardware. I'll put up the fix as soon as I can complete testing.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaK View Post
    Hey Ken...so how about that Ukrainian Grivnya? . I'm leaving on Saturday...heh.
    Missed putting that in the list. It's already in 0.5.1. Updated OP. Enjoy your trip.
    Thanks for the great app. Can you please add the central african CFA franc (XAF) currency? Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    Missed putting that in the list. It's already in 0.5.1. Updated OP. Enjoy your trip.
    Thanks a bunch Ken. Have a great day.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    I really want to down load this app, credit card and counter rates are absolutely critical and this may be the first app I've seen to do that, I'm just bothered by the fact that it doesn't update rates periodically. I'm thinking the update regardless of being off will still be closer than static values. Great app and what the hell I'll go ahead and try it.
  13.    #33  
    I found the problem with the ok button on the results page. At update 1.1 and release of the SDK, Palm altered the defaults and functions of the showAlertDialog function. It was also messing with my HTML (which now by default is not interpreted). I'm about to run through an update of the rates and will post a new version 0.5.2 later tonight. (hopefully)

And I have heard the desire to get automatic rate updates....
  14.    #34  
    The fix & rate update version 0.5.2 is up. Check the first post.
    Updated thread title to:
    Exch-Calc, currency exchange calculator, v0.5.2 (7/29) [was v0.5.1]

Ken, would you update your opening post title when you update the ipk? That way we can see when we need to update the thread title.

By the way, nice work.

- Craig
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Updated thread title to:
    Exch-Calc, currency exchange calculator, v0.5.2 (7/29) [was v0.5.1]

Ken, would you update your opening post title when you update the ipk? That way we can see when we need to update the thread title.

By the way, nice work.

- Craig
    I tried to last night but couldn't find where to do it. So I figured I didn't have the rights to. Looked again after your post, found it at the top of the advanced page.

Thanks for taking care of it Craig.
    Global Posts
    386 Global Posts
    That's what's up! App works great. Where do the rate updates come from?
    I think this will be a great program once a person can update the rates within the program. I'm sure looking forward to that day. Thanks for making such a usefull program.
  19.    #39  
    I apologize to my users, I lost about a week preparing a presentation for the PreDevCamp (Dallas) where I presented. I've just submitted the app to the new homebrew catalog (our moderators will need to approve and move it to the catalog). So if you are considering a download, please go check there for version 0.5.3 which has the latest rates from today (8/12).

Upcoming news is that I think I've figured out a way to update the rates and still be compatible with the licensing structures and limitations of the future... (mysterious huh - think the catalog). So I'm working on that. In the meantime, early adopters get to have their favorite currencies added first so bring 'em on.
  20.    #40  
    The automatic internet updating of rates is completed. I will be posting it to homebrew apps this evening as version 0.6.0. It also includes a number of updates to the functionality that I've been wanting to do and/or folks have asked for.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast