Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    PreTracker is a program that uses the gps to track your position during a run, hike, bike, or drive. It uses your GPS coordinates and creates statistics for you. It is currently in development, but I wanted to get it out to the public for testing and feedback. I recommend using a gps fix versus a cell tower fix for accuracy.

I have thought about this a lot and have decided to stop pursuing development of PreTracker. I am willing to give the code I have so far to anyone. At this point I dont have plans to continue development, but it is possible I will at a later date.

Download the latest version from the Homebrew Apps Gallery: PREtracker

Bulletin Board:
    •I would love to pair up with someone on the forum that has graphic experience so that I can make this a first-class app. please PM me is you're interested.
    • I am having troubles keeping the gps running when the screen times out. How do I A)keep GPS going with screen off or B) keep screen on?
    • Math wizzes out there could help me with formulas. I wanna try to do a faux compass that would allow you to set a location ( i.e where you parked your car) and could redirect you back to the location. It would have to make the assumption that you are holding your pre in the direction you are walking and would have to use the last two points to figure out what direction you are moving.
    • I could use some help with the Google Maps api so I can figure out how to overlay a the path the person has just run.

UPDATE: PREtracker0.5 available below
    changes:
    1. Pause and Reset buttons added (they should work in this version)
    2. App finds satellites then waits for you to click the start button to begin timing.
    3. bug fixes

UPDATE: PREtracker0.4 available below
    changes:
    1. Distance is only added when speed is above .75 mph (same goes for pace calculations
    2. Average speed added. However, this is calculated off the distance and the current speed is a number obtained from the gps. Because of this these to values won't necessarily correspond. If they do that is a GOOD SIGN. To BE FIXED

UPDATE: PREtracker0.3 available below
    changes:
    1. Distance addition (I changed the code around a little but not sure if it is actually fixed, please report back)
    2. Big clock, pace, and speed
    3. removed loading bar to save space
    4. Bug fixes

UPDATE: PREtracker0.2 available below
    Fixes:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by intron
    However - what seems to be happening is that when you hit the button to show 'statistics', whatever comes up that first instant is what stays. So, walking in my yard it showed 1.68mph and then never changed. Driving in my car it showed 62mph and never changed. The only way I can get new data is to close the card and open it again.
    updating location/speed/etc issue FIXED

It is not final yet, but I would like to get some usage and performance feedback. I hope to release this in the app catalog at some point(it will be free)

can't wait for feeback...

Some questions I have...
    How do I A)keep GPS going with screen off or B) keep screen on?
    How do require a GPS fix and not just cell tower?
    Are the numbers for speed,distance travelled, altide, etc accurate?
    How does it work after running for awhile?
    Any feature requests?
    Any app name suggestions?
    Any other comments?

KNOWN ERRORS:
    Stop button doesn't actually stop tracking
    GPS stops on screen timeout

todo:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EBPMAN
    I have some suggested enhancements.

1. Ability to set a lap. For example, it could be set to one mile. So when the lap is reached provide audio feedback in the form of a message such as "Mile Reached" It would be even better to allow the user to add any sound of their choice.
    2. Save the runs to a log for future reference. Allow the saved runs to be mapped to google maps
    3. Ability to set a virtual partner. Set a pace and track how your pace is in comparison to your partner.
    4. Ability to view your path on stored map. Once you have completed a run and stored it on the device, give the user the ability to bring up the last run. With that a map of the run. This would be displayed on the device and show exactly where you are and how much is left of your run.
    5. Dim the screen during the run. Screen would come back one the screen is tapped
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pimp Lucious

6. I would give the option to disable the accelerometer screen orientation.
    7. I would like to see the pace and distance traveled on the screen even when statistics are hid.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hotrock85

8. make it customizable. I rather have the speed and pace on top and leave coordinates along with the tracking and stop buttons at the bottom. and also what stats are visible. I really am not concerned about seeing the accuraccy and how many times refreshed on the home screen
    9. PREtracker 0.4.0, formerly PRErun 0.3(7/19)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kmax12; 08/20/2009 at 11:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Whooo, cant wait to try out!
    www.MTFX.tv
    -Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    haha, I just realized it says run tracker in the photos. I took them before I came up with the name PRErun.
    This is wonderful. I gave up sanoodi on my blackberry curve when I moved to the Pre. I run daily around my neighborhood, making numerous street and elevation changes. I'll start trying it out first thing in the morning and provide plenty of feedback.
    very nice, thanks for your efforts on webos bro!
    SCK Manager
    I noticed in one of the screen caps that there is a button call show map. Does this app interface with google maps or is there another set of maps that this apps use? Also, this app seems to apply to a lot of other sports, like biking and hiking. So, you might want to think about renaming the app to give it a broader appeal. If you go live with this app in the Palm app store, appealing to a wider customer base only serves to bring in more $$$. Can't wait to give this a try on my biking route.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cloak.n.dagger View Post
    I noticed in one of the screen caps that there is a button call show map. Does this app interface with google maps or is there another set of maps that this apps use? Also, this app seems to apply to a lot of other sports, like biking and hiking. So, you might want to think about renaming the app to give it a broader appeal. If you go live with this app in the Palm app store, appealing to a wider customer base only serves to bring in more $$$. Can't wait to give this a try on my biking route.
    Agreed, if it track location data at all speeds (Running,biking,driving) I would name it PreTrack or PreTrace.
    www.MTFX.tv
    -Touchpad owner
    I'll try this in the morning as well and report back...Thanks for this one!
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    i will try this in the morning and give my feedback
    Great app - great idea.

Are you familiar with imapmy for iphone?

iMapMy

Check it out - they have imapmyrun, imapmyride, imapmygirlfriend .. whatever.

Its a well developed application that might give you some ideas.

I will test this out and compare it to my car GPS to see what I come up with.

Few good things and a few bad things.

Sustainments

1. nice addition of google maps
    2. Found the satellites within 3 seconds
    3. Lat, long, alt, all correct!

Room for improvement
    1. Speed/ pace/ and distance did not work at all for me. Tried walk slowly and briskly. I ran for about a a tenth of a mile. Also rode the motorcycle from 5mph to 20mph for a mile. Kept moving the screen so it wouldnt time out. these stats never read anything more then "0, Get Moving!, and 0"

2. GPS only seems to work when going slower than 2mph.

3. make it customizable. I rather have the speed and pace on top and leave coordinates along with the tracking and stop buttons at the bottom. and also what stats are visible. I really am not concerned about seeing the accuraccy and how many times refreshed on the home screen

I love the idea for the app. Once it is fully functional I will use it on my runs for the army. I like the name "PreSpeed" but PreTrack works also. In a final release would like to have audible alerts for the speed and pace; ie say i want to run for 2 miles at 8-9mph. could be audible alerts letting you know how far you have ran, how much farther left to go at different increments, voice or sound letting you know you are going too slow or too fast.

something that probably needs to be an app of its own but maybe someway get a compass application implemented since you are already using gps. Maybe you have certain place to run or bike too and need to know which direction to go. would have an arrow pointing u in the right direction. It might be helpful. While running I do geocaching (geocaching.com) so would come in handy.

I believe this app and the AHS(active Home Screen) are going to be my most used homebrew apps. I do Love the AHS

I will continuing testing out this app to see if i can get the distance, pace, and speed to work

I have a few ideas of APPs i would like/need to have. Is there a thread to go to so i can let any devs know my ideas and see if they want to develope it?
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    Overall, however, I don't think the pre's gps is accurate enough for an app like this.

I don't agree at all. It is as accurate as any GPS receiver without WAAS correction. . It gets within +/- 30 feet
    I am sitting in my living room and it is getting a fix in the front yard.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    another good program you might want to look at for ideas is another iphone app called "Itreadmill: Ultra Pedometer w/ Pocketstep"

It has the chiming for when you hit certain distances which I like.
    It saves a history. Allows you to keep track of what you do each day.
    It would be nice to have in pocket and track when running or just how much you walk throughout a day even with the screen black. would kill the battery life but i charge my phone at work and at home so wouldnt be a problem.
    It also calculates calories burned.

One thing your app does that this one doesnt is that you show the grid coordinates which i like. seriously take a look at this app and steal some ideas
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I'll have to try this out, thanks for your contribution to the homebrew list!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I am very excited to see where this app goes
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrock85 View Post
    Few good things and a few bad things.

Room for improvement
    1. Speed/ pace/ and distance did not work at all for me. Tried walk slowly and briskly. I ran for about a a tenth of a mile. Also rode the motorcycle from 5mph to 20mph for a mile. Kept moving the screen so it wouldnt time out. these stats never read anything more then "0, Get Moving!, and 0"

2. GPS only seems to work when going slower than 2mph.

3. make it customizable. I rather have the speed and pace on top and leave coordinates along with the tracking and stop buttons at the bottom. and also what stats are visible. I really am not concerned about seeing the accuraccy and how many times refreshed on the home screen
    thanks for the feedback!

I noticed the problems with the speed and pace right before I released the app but I thought it was my GPS acting up cause they worked before. Since they worked before, I might just have to revert to a older version.

The ordering of the list is entirely possible. there are APIs for a shiftable list(like playlist in the music app). I thought about adding it in but it seemed really difficulty

I have a few ideas of APPs i would like/need to have. Is there a thread to go to so i can let any devs know my ideas and see if they want to develope it?
    PM me with them and I might look into them. I am a highschool student and summer school is over in a week, so I'll have a lot of free time.
    Suh-weeet!! This is such a great concept, I will be putting this to use as soon as I can get over my ankle sprain (soccer). Will get back to ya for sure as I have a route I always travel in which I know the distances perfectly. Will let you know how it does. Thanks for the work!
    Good work...but u got typos in the third image!

All Satallites Aquired: This should read as -

All Satellites Acquired

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knickrox13 View Post
    Good work...but u got typos in the third image!

All Satallites Aquired: This should read as -

All Satellites Acquired

thanx, eye suhk @ speling nd teh prohgram i uz dozn't hve speell chek.

all seriousness, thanks for paying close attention.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrock85 View Post
    Of course. If you did not catch this by then: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...them-here.html

Try adding all your thoughts there.
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast