Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    very nice app! thank you!
    I just discovered this app, but it's on my Pre now. I'm going to play with it on my run this evening.

Greg
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    I think the way to deal with this is to throw away distances obtained when the speed is less than some value - say 0.1 mph. That should eliminate false increases in distance.
    I had this in my last version, but as you probably remeber the distance wasn't working. I noticed the wandering when I was stopped a light today as well, so maybe i'll try to add it back in.

Tonight (after I finish my biology homework, of course) I will release a new version with distance on the main screen, and provisions to throw out some distance data like intron suggested above.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrawford View Post
    I would suggest you look into how the screen lock handles the turning off the screen. Maybe your app could change the value when starting up and change it back to the default set in the screen settings when shutting down?

/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.screenlock/app/controllers/securityconfig-assistant.jsjsjs

is the file on the device.

I thought about this when I had to put the modification in place to not turn off the screen so that my ssh connection would not be closed.
    is it possible to modify this file without having your phone rooted/hacked in some way? I know it must be possible to keep the screen on because the sprint navigation does it.
    Last edited by kmax12; 07/21/2009 at 08:06 PM.
    I haven't checked the most recent version. Will install shortly and check it on a run tonight. 2 things that I noticed. My readings were as follows:

10:55 minute walk time
    21:26 pace (min/mi)
    2.80 speed (mph)
    .72576 distance traveled (miles)

It appears that you're calculating the pace based on the speed, but when I've watched the speed, it seems to be all over the place, so if I slow down for a second, I'm up to a 50 minute mile.

It would seem better to calculate the pace, based off the current time divided by the distance would give you the current pace. In the example above, it would be roughly a 15 minute mile.

Also, because of the bounciness of the gps reads, it would seem to make more sense to do a running average. Say of the last 3 or 4 speeds, rather than just the most recent one.

BTW, thanks for the awesome app!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aolbites View Post
    I haven't checked the most recent version. Will install shortly and check it on a run tonight. 2 things that I noticed. My readings were as follows:

10:55 minute walk time
    21:26 pace (min/mi)
    2.80 speed (mph)
    .72576 distance traveled (miles)

It appears that you're calculating the pace based on the speed, but when I've watched the speed, it seems to be all over the place, so if I slow down for a second, I'm up to a 50 minute mile.

It would seem better to calculate the pace, based off the current time divided by the distance would give you the current pace. In the example above, it would be roughly a 15 minute mile.

Also, because of the bounciness of the gps reads, it would seem to make more sense to do a running average. Say of the last 3 or 4 speeds, rather than just the most recent one.
    !
    thanks for the feedback. I am going to have to do a major overhaul of how I calculate things soon and the point you make are all things I am considering.

One thing that I wonder about is how the gps is determining the speed and why is that different than the speed I get from distance divided by time. Which do people think is more accurate/should be used in the app?

Also, I would love to pair up with someone on the forum that has graphic experience so that I can make this a first-class app. please PM me is you're interested.
    i downloaded 0.3.0 2 seconds ago, and now its 0.4.0!? updating now. i only walked around my apartment with it. so farl ooks good! going to try and use it for mountain biking
    Quote Originally Posted by kmax12 View Post
    thanks for the feedback. I am going to have to do a major overhaul of how I calculate things soon and the point you make are all things I am considering.

One thing that I wonder about is how the gps is determining the speed and why is that different than the speed I get from distance divided by time. Which do people think is more accurate/should be used in the app?

Also, I would love to pair up with someone on the forum that has graphic experience so that I can make this a first-class app. please PM me is you're interested.
    I believe the GPS is getting speed from the current point and the last point. Taking this speed and dividing it into an hour would give you a second by second pace. However the other way would give you an averaged pace, so if you ran for 15 minutes with a pace of 6 minutes/mile, and then started walking, it wouldn't change the pace to 15 minutes/mile, but would average the 2, giving you your actual overall pace.

I'm familiar with graphics and playing around with them. What were you looking for? (as long as it's not programming, I'm SO dumb when it comes to programming)
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Excellent work! I'm so excited about this that I spent some time working on a way to mount my Pre on my bike.

I just installed 0.4 and I plan on using it tonight on my way to work. We'll see if it agrees with my bikes computer, I hope so!

Any thoughts on how to get the plotted points to work with google maps?
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aolbites View Post
    I believe the GPS is getting speed from the current point and the last point. Taking this speed and dividing it into an hour would give you a second by second pace. However the other way would give you an averaged pace, so if you ran for 15 minutes with a pace of 6 minutes/mile, and then started walking, it wouldn't change the pace to 15 minutes/mile, but would average the 2, giving you your actual overall pace.
    that would make sense but if that was the case my speeds should be agreeing. However i guess if the gps is calculating the distance differently then I am it would account for the disparity. THere is a more accurate way to calculate the distance -- one that accounts for the earth not being a perfect sphere -- that could be used instead. I just hesitate to you that because the math is CRAZY and I worry it might slow the program if the equation is being run so many times.

I'm familiar with graphics and playing around with them. What were you looking for? (as long as it's not programming, I'm SO dumb when it comes to programming)
    Just a design for a screen. Hat would include background images, button images, etc. I'd like to keep a lot of palm sdk stuff but adding in some prettiness of my own couldn't hurt. If you're still interested pm and maybe we hammer our some detail over gtalk, aim, or facebook chat. This applies to anyone with interest in doing graphics.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clerick44 View Post
    Excellent work! I'm so excited about this that I spent some time working on a way to mount my Pre on my bike.

I just installed 0.4 and I plan on using it tonight on my way to work. We'll see if it agrees with my bikes computer, I hope so!
    me too! can't wait to hear back. It would be nice if you could report back about average speed vs. instantaneous speed and which seems more accurate (since htey are being calculated using to different methods)

Any thoughts on how to get the plotted points to work with google maps?
    Yeah. I am trying to figure out how to use the built in google maps but can't figure out how to. The other option is to use the google maps api and import it in to my app but then the program becomes customizing it for the mobile (ie multitouch, larger buttons, etc)

Any input/thoughts from the community would be nice.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    First off let me say that the progress on this app has been great. Especially in the past 48 hours. Keep it up please!

Here's what I found tonight:
    *stat updates seem to lag a bit too much. I'd be stopped and it might take as much as six seconds to drop down to zero.
    * speed jumps a lot. Not sure how it's calculated but with an accuracy under 15' it would bounce +/- 4mph @ 19mph and, the margin of error seems to grow with speed.
    * calculated distance was .2 miles low. However the screen did black out once so, maybe it stopped updating?

Like was mentioned before, maybe it would be better to take an average over a number of points but, have it stop once the speed nears 0. I wonder if .25mph is still too high. I'd be happy to help with any formula building.
    I don't know if the application already can do this... but if not, it would be a great addition:

when the will pre come out in more countries it would be useful to be able to select, that the distance and the calculations based on the distance could be changed to kilometer instead of miles.
    Tested it out tonight, and was told that I walked .92 miles. Now I know my area, and 50 minutes of walking rarely amounts to .92 so I double checked the path I took against Google Earth, and the path should've measured somewhere around 2.86 miles. I'm not sure if this might be a factor of the "not counting distance if under a certain speed" thing. But just thought I'd letcha know.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I was playing with it on the way home and noticed that sitting still the speed would still jump in multiples of .56 mph (accuracy @ 9.1 feet). Seemed like an odd number, does anyone know where its coming from?

Also, does the speed depend on only the change in horizontal position or does it use horizontal AND vertical? In theory, a person driving at 75mph through the mountains will be moving at a slower horizontal speed. A bit of trig would be involved to add the horizontal and vertical components into a single "speed" vector.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clerick44 View Post
    Like was mentioned before, maybe it would be better to take an average over a number of points but, have it stop once the speed nears 0. I wonder if .25mph is still too high. I'd be happy to help with any formula building.

I would love to talk to you about formula building. PM and we can exchange aim, gtalk, or facebook chat contact info. Same goes for anyone that wants to help with formula buildings.
    kmax, if I were to run around a football field, and I went from one corner to the to the other (diagonal corner) ... Is Pretracker estimating my distance from 1st point to 2nd point (as in a diagonal line across the field) or is it estimating my distance by actually tracking each step and giving the actual distance around half of the field?
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
    kmax, if I were to run around a football field, and I went from one corner to the to the other (diagonal corner) ... Is Pretracker estimating my distance from 1st point to 2nd point (as in a diagonal line across the field) or is it estimating my distance by actually tracking each step and giving the actual distance around half of the field?

The distance is added every time the coordinate change and when the speed is above .75 mph. that means the program is measuring the around the football field and not the diagonal. This is why it is important that you have a gps connection that is refreshing frequently.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    nice, I can't send PM so, I'll ask my questions here.

1) Is the speed coming from the Pre's GPS directly or, are you using a formula to find it? If so, could you share or PM your formula?

2) I'm curious how you're buffering the data so it isn't "spazzing out." I make no promises but if i can be of any help in this project I'd gladly help out!

feel free to PM me, I think that that would allow me to PM back.
    kmax12,
    Job well done I run and i also love little gadgets(gadgetman). So thanks. Installed a couple of days ago. worked great. I even took in my car and it matched perfectly with my speedometer.(Don't try this at home)he he. Then went and ran a 6.5 minute mile for four miles. Not bad for being out for a few months!
    Issues(sorry really like app though)
    1. Alittle slow to start
    2. Screen turns off unless you continuously move it(as you know, but app seemed to keep running. Unless... I was just quick enough on the draw for it not to completely turn off.
    Great app looking forward to updates!
    Last edited by daba; 07/22/2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: edit grammar kinda didnt make sense
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast