Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
    Really enjoying this app so far , I got a suggestion and a bug (or I believe its one)

1. Would be nice to be able to save a route and compare it to the last one you ran. I run the same loop in my neighborhood everyday.

2. The show maps button never actually shows anything, not sure if its just a faulty button or if it is a failed install.

_________________________________REVISED_____________________

Just noticed people showing similar stuff about the show maps, hope this gets fixed soon would be an amazing addition to an already wonderful app. Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by STKman; 08/19/2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: didn't read through forum first
    So with kmax12 no longer developing this app, are there any developers willing to take on this app for us runners/non-developers?
    I have emailed kmax12 and he has released the code to me for further development. This app will remain free and I hope to fix some of the bugs, optimize the code, and add features like saving routes.
    The saving routes feature will be a bit harder because you can't just save a file on the pre at this point.
    I have a GIS background, and enjoy running as well so that will be my drive in improving the app.

Wish me luck as it is my first WebOS app.

Thanks,
    -Troy
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    I have emailed kmax12 and he has released the code to me for further development. This app will remain free and I hope to fix some of the bugs, optimize the code, and add features like saving routes.
    The saving routes feature will be a bit harder because you can't just save a file on the pre at this point.
    I have a GIS background, and enjoy running as well so that will be my drive in improving the app.

Wish me luck as it is my first WebOS app.

Thanks,
    -Troy
    That sounds awesome, good luck! Out of curiousity, since it is possible to leave cookies on the Pre, could the routes be saved in the cookies? Just a thought.
    Well the problem with something like cookies is it does not store enough information. I would need to store a string of something like this once every second:

"5,39.551867604255676,-122.71433746814728,124.50,157.48,0,-68.88"

That adds up. Right now I am experimenting with the results from the GPS itself to make sure the data in clean to accurately calculate distance and pace.

I know its probably easy but then i need to figure out how to update the app store page with the new build. Once I get it to be consistent I will release version 0.6

Thanks,
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    Well the problem with something like cookies is it does not store enough information. I would need to store a string of something like this once every second:

"5,39.551867604255676,-122.71433746814728,124.50,157.48,0,-68.88"

That adds up. Right now I am experimenting with the results from the GPS itself to make sure the data in clean to accurately calculate distance and pace.

I know its probably easy but then i need to figure out how to update the app store page with the new build. Once I get it to be consistent I will release version 0.6

Thanks,
    I had a brief conversation with Kmax about some formulas but, that was just before he had phone issues. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Also, it might be worth looking at mapmyride.com. They are offering their API's here MapMyRide.com | MapMyRide.com API
    Since this is your first app, may I suggest instead of trying to fix the big stuff (saving routes), maybe work on some of the simplier things like fixing the pace to simply be time divided by distance.
    Hello troymiller,
    I would also be happy to help with development. I noticed when kmax sent the post saying he was done and was hoping I'd get a chance to look through the code. I have some ideas for algorithms that I wanted to try out. Let me know if you're looking for collaborators.
    Quote Originally Posted by cshrader View Post
    Since this is your first app, may I suggest instead of trying to fix the big stuff (saving routes), maybe work on some of the simplier things like fixing the pace to simply be time divided by distance.
    Its not that simple because there is no distance given from the satellites. I am not new to programming, or javascript for that matter just to WebOS (Like everyone I guess). My main task for now is to "clean" the coordinates to the pace and distance can be calculated accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreen2001
    Hello troymiller,
    I would also be happy to help with development. I noticed when kmax sent the post saying he was done and was hoping I'd get a chance to look through the code. I have some ideas for algorithms that I wanted to try out. Let me know if you're looking for collaborators.
    I think collaboration would be a great thing. Send me a pm and Ill show you the code. So what kind of algorithms where you thinking about?
    I've been looking at the code too and I have some ideas for cleaning it up and adding a few features. Since there are a fair number of people interested in collaborating on development, maybe we should move to an open source project or something? I'm not too familiar with how that works, but would be willing to learn and participate. It probably needs someone to set it up and get it going and I'm not sure I'm able to do that.

I think kmax would be willing to make his code open source - in my conversations with him he expressed his desire that the application remain free. Open sourcing the code could help to ensure that. Plus that way we wouldn't have a bunch of different forked versions from all of our attempts to clean it up...
    Ok, I created a project on code.google.com

pretracker - Project Hosting on Google Code

Join up and we can do our collaboration there. I only uploaded the pertinent files so it is up to you to get them into a project.

************edit
    Ok so this is not how you use google code.
    I am testing a client that will access the google code correctly.

************edit2
    use
    http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets...?pageID=p4wYuA
    with your eclipe client

join the group and we can start collaborating
    Last edited by troymiller; 08/21/2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: new info
    I have updated the code site to my PreTracker 0.6 build. It still needs testing and I can compile a file later.

Thanks,
    Great app, can you add a 6,8, and 12 hour interval. It jumps from once a day to 6 time a day. Also, an option to check between certain hours only would be great. Thanks
    I've created a thread in the webOS development section to discuss changes made to the app as we upload them. Here's the link: http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=1839520.

I've put an initial post there about some changes I just made.

Troymiller, can you download my changes into your 0.6 build as you test it? I'll try and do some testing on the whole build tomorrow as well.
    Can't wait. Thanks for taking up the app, fellas. I'm a willing guinea pig. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bebz View Post
    Great app, can you add a 6,8, and 12 hour interval. It jumps from once a day to 6 time a day. Also, an option to check between certain hours only would be great. Thanks
    I am not sure what you mean here. The GPS is polled about once every second and recorded. You can move alot in 6 hours so i am not sure of the usefulness.

-Troy
    Troy,,,if you need testers count me in. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dmendi View Post
    Troy,,,if you need testers count me in. Thanks
    Sounds good. I am thinking we will have 0.6 out soon. I know the build I have on my phone right now is more stable then the 0.5 release.

Now to figure out how to post the file so it shows up in fileCoaster and the homebrew gallery.
    This is a wonderful application and shows great potential. I'll download the beta's and test it while running or cycling.

The following things may be already fixed in 0.6, but if not you may want to look at that:

- When I was running the total mileage suddenly jumped twice about a mile forward. It may have lost contact to the satellites since I ran through a valley
    - Sometimes when I start it, it doesn't count up the mileage
    - minutes/mile and mph jumps up and down quite a bit even that I'm running a fairly steady pace. Showing there a sliding average may be better than a value calculated out of a few seconds worth of data
    - average speed never gets updated and shows either 0 or NaN
    - Show Map doesn't show a map at all
    - It doesn't show any values if I drive the car. But it's probably not build for speeds over 30 mph and with the car I can use my car GPS, which is definitely build for these speeds and doesn't work at all when running or cycling.

How accurate is the mileage value? As long as it jumps a mile forward at will it's obviously not very accurate, but how accurate is it when it doesn't do this? Adding up the distance between the values received every second may add up quite a large error. So you probably use some more sophisticated algorithm.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast