Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 145459606162636465666768 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1348
Like Tree1Likes
    ryltar I downloaded the latest beta update and the backswipe to save doesn't work. I imported my files from my exported Checkbook and when I try to modify a transaction it just sits there. Even hitting the done button does nothing. The cursur just sits blinking in the description field.

I deleted and reinstalled beta app and started with a new account and new transaction and the done/save feature doesn't work, I can cancel the transaction but there is no way to save one.
    Last edited by mamouton; 09/25/2010 at 11:51 PM.
    The same here, with a new Account!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I also just found out about this rather showstopping bug
    But I'm sure a fix will be here soon.
    Last edited by spud101; 09/26/2010 at 06:00 PM.
  4.    #1264  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    ryltar I downloaded the latest beta update and the backswipe to save doesn't work. I imported my files from my exported Checkbook and when I try to modify a transaction it just sits there. Even hitting the done button does nothing. The cursur just sits blinking in the description field.

I deleted and reinstalled beta app and started with a new account and new transaction and the done/save feature doesn't work, I can cancel the transaction but there is no way to save one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Wilde View Post
    The same here, with a new Account!
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    I also just found out about this rather showstopping bug
    But I'm sure a fix will be here soon.
    An update to the beta has been submitted. It should fix the issues pointed out. It will be available within the next two hours.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Great!! And the account overview updates correctly too again. Thx!!
    Any new news or expected release time on the Android version?
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I need a "Checkbook for Dummies". I'm a launch-day pre and installed this HBapp back in Oct or Nov '09. I messed with it a bit and gave up. After reading all the great reviews I tried it again a couple times and just didn't "get it". Now I'm determined to get some tracking of my finances. I've been wanting to post my questions but have been searching through 1200 posts and it wasn't until #1226-1233 that I realized I'm not totally missing something - it IS a manual checkbook. So now I know what to ask:

I've exported csv transactions from my bank online, edited/cut/pasted the info in excel with the recommended column format, and cut and pasted into Google docs, AND imported into checkbook app. Good so far. Now my question - I'm trying to figure out how to use the financial reports. This is the part I'm really hoping will show me some useful data once I get properly setup. I'm guessing I need to assign categories to every single transaction and I really don't want to do this on the phone so I'm looking for some tips. How are you all doing it? Can it be done in Excel/Google? How? And lastly, any other tips on using the budget feature?

I'm sorry if this info is included in the online tutorial but I that site is blocked by my work server and I'm here 16 hours a day (but that's a whole other story).

Thanks!
    Handspring Visor --> Palm T300 --> Treo 650 --> Launchday Pre
  8.    #1268  
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Great!! And the account overview updates correctly too again. Thx!!
    Good, that was annoying me.

Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    Any new news or expected release time on the Android version?
    Working on it. Hoping to make a release next weekend as long as my profs aren't evil and give me a ton of homework.

Quote Originally Posted by bbkat View Post
    Hi all,

I need a "Checkbook for Dummies". I'm a launch-day pre and installed this HBapp back in Oct or Nov '09. I messed with it a bit and gave up. [...] Can it be done in Excel/Google? How? And lastly, any other tips on using the budget feature?

I'm sorry if this info is included in the online tutorial but I that site is blocked by my work server and I'm here 16 hours a day (but that's a whole other story).

Thanks!
    You can view an example spreadsheet at https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...RdVpKTlE&hl=en

It should tell you what you need to know for modifying the information yourself via Google Docs or Excel. If you have any other questions, post here or email me @ glitchtechscience@gmail.com

I try to answer questions as soon as I get them, but sometimes classwork or programming prevents me from doing so.

Also you should be able to access the guide for Checkbook inside of the app via the App Menu (tap upper left). Then goto Help then Tutorial.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I plan on making the move from webOS to Android (Epic) this weekend. Would be great if the Checkbook app beta was available. Let us know if you need some testers :-) I'm sure there several here willing to test including myself.
  10.    #1270  
    Quote Originally Posted by fareal View Post
    I plan on making the move from webOS to Android (Epic) this weekend. Would be great if the Checkbook app beta was available. Let us know if you need some testers :-) I'm sure there several here willing to test including myself.
    I am sure there are many who would like to. Currently I am doing all the testing locally so that if someone has a bug show up, I can actually dig into their phone and see what went wrong. Makes it so much easier then the standard bug report I get
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    I've gotten my data categorized enough to run reports now, but here's a bug I couldn't find discussed yet - the report end dates. When I run a financial report, it gives the current month (Oct) as Oct 1 - Oct 31. But when I use the arrows to see other periods, the date ranges are all from the 1st to the 1st. Sept 1 - Oct 1. And when I page forward to Oct again, it shows Oct 1 - Nov 1.

Anyone else getting this? I'm using Beta v0.8.731

Thanks!
  12.    #1272  
    it is a known bug. I just have to rewrite the functions for the pager a bit and give it a bit better logic than +/- one month.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    Thanks for the quick responses. Now that I've put many hours into getting my activity into the proper spreadsheet format, I can see the benefits of this app & will gladly donate!
    Given yesterday's announcement of the (potential) discontinuation of Classic, I'm surprised no one else beat me to this.... but given that I'll be losing access to Pocket Quicken for my mobile transaction entry (and syncing back to desktop Quicken), I will need to find an alternative.

I've downloaded Checkbook beta and quite honestly, it looks like it would be everything I need in a mobile transaction tracking app (primarily ATM transfers from bank accounts to Wallet and then spending from the wallet in 10-15 categories of things i spend cash on...).

However, I'm just not ready to give up the power and conveniences of the full desktop Quicken app and features such as automated downloading of credit card and banking transactions.... Plus, I have two separate sets of mobile transactions to deal with - my own and my wifes... Pocket Q handled this very well. So, I'm wondering if there's any way to get from a google docs spreadsheet backup into a file format which would be transferable into quicken? If so, then I could easily replicate the key account structures and categories in Checkbook to match quicken... and do incremental updates into quicken every 2-4 weeks just like I do today. Obviously, my alternative is to manually re-enter the mobile transactions from the Google Docs sheet to desktop Quicken, but that would likely get to be a PITA.

Are there others out there who are using full Quicken in combination with Checkbook? (full or beta -- I'm happy to buy the app)
  15.    #1275  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Given yesterday's announcement of the (potential) discontinuation of Classic, I'm surprised no one else beat me to this.... but given that I'll be losing access to Pocket Quicken for my mobile transaction entry (and syncing back to desktop Quicken), I will need to find an alternative.
    [...]
    Are there others out there who are using full Quicken in combination with Checkbook? (full or beta -- I'm happy to buy the app)
    While I don't have personal experience with what you ask, I can say that I am working on setting up a new importer/exporter that will work with Quicken or any other system that uses the OFX specification (Open Financial Exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Habious View Post
    I've run into a glitch lately...the checkbook app doesn't seem to want to display the latest entries. I get "..." for the last 4 or 5 entries (number seems to vary). Clicking on any of these entries does NOT bring up the entry. The balance seems to reflect them, I just can view/edit them.

If I create a new entry, when the app returns to the register view, the "hidden" entries appear.

Also, if I re-sort the entries alphabetically, then re-sort them back to chronolgically, they're back.

Is this a glitch in the app? In my data file?

Any thoughts on how I can fix this? It's not horrible, just annoying.

I've attached a screen shot to show you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post
    This is a known big in the live version of Checkbook. I think I have it fixed in the latest beta, but that has other bugs at this time that I am stamping out.
    ryltar,

It's been a couple of months on this bug. Any idea when we're going to see an updated release to resolve it?

It's gotten to the point now where the app opens up to my checking account...and NO transactions are visible. Every visible transaction line is blank. I have to "resort" them to get the transactions to be visible...and then scroll down (it seems to stop at like the 2nd or 3rd to the bottom transaction).
    Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post
    While I don't have personal experience with what you ask, I can say that I am working on setting up a new importer/exporter that will work with Quicken or any other system that uses the OFX specification (Open Financial Exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).
    Thanks for the quick reply. Please let me know if you'd like an Alpha tester to help test the Quicken Import (and possibly help you write up some documentation on getting Quicken import up and running.)
    UGH!!! Looks like Quicken might not actually import OFX files... they have their own proprietary version so that they can extort $ from financial institutions. I'll keep looking into this....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QFX_(file_format)
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I too have been using Pocket Quicken for many years, all the way back to my PalmIIIxe. Has it been that long. I am also discouraged about the news about Classic and WebOS2.0, since one main reason for moving to the Pre was for Pocket Quicken and being able to synch it to my desktop.
    I have downloaded Checkbook a few different times and find that it is a pretty nice program. But I too still would like some way to synch it to my computers Quicken program.
    If I can help, let me know.

Tim
    Last edited by TimBoch; 10/26/2010 at 05:26 PM.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    In case anyone is interested, I have been able to find a commercial program (Excel Add In actually) that will convert any spreadsheet from Excel into a QIF file that Quicken 2010 will import.... I had to make a few minor changes to the excel file once I downloaded from Google Docs...

• Had to change 3 of "Checkbook Beta's" spreadsheet header fields ("description" --> "Name", "note" --> "memo", and "gtCat" --> "Category"
    • I also had to change the category field entry for transactions which are account-to-account transfers (for a Checking to Wallet txfr for example -- the Category in the Wallet file has to be changed from "Uncategorized|Other" --> [Checking] (use whatever you have called your checking account in quicken...
    • Using this approach, the account-to-account transfers need to be imported just once and they appear in both relevant accounts in quicken.

Since I only use the mobile transaction entry for wallet spending and ATM withdrawals, it'll be a little bit of work every few weeks, but for my purposes and biweekly import schedule, this will probably work...

I'll be happy to try out the OFX export when it's ready, but I have my doubts about whether or not the OFX approach will work given Quicken's limitations and restrictions on those files -- I wish I could leave Quicken, but for now, I'm kind of locked in.

The Excel-to-QIF converter add-in can be downloaded here: Import from Excel to Quicken or MS Money

For now, I'm about to begin my own beta test of using Checkbook and this process. Ryltar -- thanks for creating this app -- it appears to be very well designed and full-featured. I'll certainly support you by buying the full version once I prove to myself that it will work. To be honest - I'll be glad to be rid of Classic once and for all in advance of the upgrade to WebOS 2.0

Of course, if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.