Page 62 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12525758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1348
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post
    Heh, the android app is progressing. I'm going to start a local beta in the next week or so (so I can actually play with the app on a device). I'm working as fast as I can and have the time/brain to work on it.

I also don't have a mailing list or anything set up but I'll post updates on my twitter account (@glitchtech) at the very least.
    Thanks!!! I'll try to be patient!
    I had to replace my Pre (stupid hardware problems...), but saw this coming so I exported the checkbook data to google docs. (it was easy, nice!). On the new phone, I imported just fine (again, easy, thanks!), but there is a small problem with some custom categories I'd created. The imported transactions are still correctly categorized, but they don't seem to be available for new transactions. After a little more fiddling, it looks like the custom categories will be defaulted correctly, they just don't appear in the list to select manually.
    It isn't that much work to re-add them, but it seems like enough information is there that they could be added automatically.
    Thanks again for a great app!
    I'm reading your changelog to try and get a sense of this app, but I have a question that if anyone using this app could answer for me. (this thread it 62 pages long, I'm sorry but I'm don't want to weed through that)

importing/exporting data is my main concern. What does this mean is it "direct connect" (OFX is it call?) In other words once set up can I click a button and have my latest financial information dl from my bank right into this app, or does that mean to a spreadsheet on my main pc and does it support any kind of "online banking". (where I don't have to enter the information manually)

For budgeting does it have a place to enter recurring bills and reminders when they come up, or do most people use a calendar app for that?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this, I didn't want to bug the developer with these questions since I see so many using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyjesuspatrick View Post
    I had to replace my Pre (stupid hardware problems...), but saw this coming so I exported the checkbook data to google docs. (it was easy, nice!). On the new phone, I imported just fine (again, easy, thanks!), but there is a small problem with some custom categories I'd created. The imported transactions are still correctly categorized, but they don't seem to be available for new transactions. After a little more fiddling, it looks like the custom categories will be defaulted correctly, they just don't appear in the list to select manually.
    It isn't that much work to re-add them, but it seems like enough information is there that they could be added automatically.
    If you try save Restore it restores everything properly.
  5.    #1225  
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyjesuspatrick View Post
    I'll look into a check for that. Shouldn't be too difficult to determine if a category isn't in the app & is in the proper format. I think I already do that for account categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Safira View Post
    I'm reading your changelog to try and get a sense of this app, but I have a question that if anyone using this app could answer for me. (this thread it 62 pages long, I'm sorry but I'm don't want to weed through that)

importing/exporting data is my main concern. What does this mean is it "direct connect" (OFX is it call?) In other words once set up can I click a button and have my latest financial information dl from my bank right into this app, or does that mean to a spreadsheet on my main pc and does it support any kind of "online banking". (where I don't have to enter the information manually)

For budgeting does it have a place to enter recurring bills and reminders when they come up, or do most people use a calendar app for that?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this, I didn't want to bug the developer with these questions since I see so many using it.
    Feel free to bug me. I'm always happy to help

As to your main concerns:

Checkbook cannot talk directly to your financial institution at this time. To be perfectly honest, they don't want to because I am too small and therefore would be a security risk. I perfectly understand their reasoning, though it be frustrating. I am looking into secure work arounds, but that is taking time mainly due to the previously stated reason.

Checkbook currently doesn't have any recurring systems, though I am working on getting recurring transactions finished off. They are almost out of alpha! Other recurring notifications are not in the design spec at this time, though I do have an idea for a related/interconnect app that will take care of stuff like recurring bills. Checkbook will automatically insert entries into your calendar so you can either look into the app or your calendar to see when automatic transactions are coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post
    As to your main concerns:

Checkbook cannot talk directly to your financial institution at this time. To be perfectly honest, they don't want to because I am too small and therefore would be a security risk. I perfectly understand their reasoning, though it be frustrating. I am looking into secure work arounds, but that is taking time mainly due to the previously stated reason.
    So then I give up, what's the point? I bought this app so that I didn't have to track my accounts manually...if this app simply reflects data that I input then it's really nothing more than a glorified abacus.

I can understand the security reasons why the app doesn't have real-time data but it's essentially worthless without it.

Oh well, I'm bummed that it's not the killer app that I thought it was.
    Last edited by foosball; 07/23/2010 at 12:06 AM.
    Hello ryltar,

Just want to say, I love Checkbook. I have quit using my checkbook ledger and my ledger I use for bills and just use this and backup to docs to go. Everything is great!

I do have one request tho. Sometimes I want to find a specific transaction and think it would be nice to be able to search for a keyword and sort the specific transactions out. I know I can sort alphabetically, but I still have to scroll through a lot of data. So for example lets say I just want to pull up "Sirius Radio" and nothing else I could do it.

Just a small thing, but I would enjoy the addition. Keep up the good work. Love the app.

Oh and I see you are working on an Android Checkbook app? I don't plan on leaving WebOS, but if I did I would go to Android. So just curious, will the data transfer between the WebOS and Android Checkbook app? So if I switched to Android I could pull all my data in?
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 07/23/2010 at 01:01 AM.
    @foosball I think your criticism is a little harsh given that you could have looked to see if the app did what you require prior to buying it. Checkbook is far from worthless, especially given the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    @foosball I think your criticism is a little harsh given that you could have looked to see if the app did what you require prior to buying it. Checkbook is far from worthless, especially given the price.
    I'd have to agree with you.

I wish I could rate the user rating for this app instead of the app itself. Whoever is giving a manual entry checkbook app on a mobile device 4 or 5 stars is nuts!
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foosball View Post

I wish I could rate the user rating for this app instead of the app itself. Whoever is giving a manual entry checkbook app on a mobile device 4 or 5 stars is nuts!
    *shrug* A manual entry checkbook app is exactly what it says that it is in the description, exactly what the free beta did, and exactly what I paid for. If it were a perfect example of a manual entry checkbook app, I'd give it 5 stars.

I haven't, because it's missing some rather vital things such as search.

Hope the author hasn't got too distracted by Android... ;-)
    I have been manually entering transactions on apps like this since Palm OS days. No problem to me. Banks are always late to post recent transactions anyway.
  12.    #1232  
    So then I give up, what's the point? I bought this app so that I didn't have to track my accounts manually...if this app simply reflects data that I input then it's really nothing more than a glorified abacus.

I can understand the security reasons why the app doesn't have real-time data but it's essentially worthless without it.

Oh well, I'm bummed that it's not the killer app that I thought it was.
    Sorry to disappoint. I am working to figure something out for auto-syncing but for the price it doesn't seem half bad. I could charge 60$ a year or spam you with adds like some financial applications do in order to make enough to cover the fees some banks charge for access. If I can negotiate something with banking institutions I might have to do that, though I'd love to give the feature away from free

Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    Hello ryltar,

Just want to say, I love Checkbook. I have quit using my checkbook ledger and my ledger I use for bills and just use this and backup to docs to go. Everything is great!

I do have one request tho. Sometimes I want to find a specific transaction and think it would be nice to be able to search for a keyword and sort the specific transactions out. I know I can sort alphabetically, but I still have to scroll through a lot of data. So for example lets say I just want to pull up "Sirius Radio" and nothing else I could do it.

Just a small thing, but I would enjoy the addition. Keep up the good work. Love the app.

Oh and I see you are working on an Android Checkbook app? I don't plan on leaving WebOS, but if I did I would go to Android. So just curious, will the data transfer between the WebOS and Android Checkbook app? So if I switched to Android I could pull all my data in?
    I am working on a search feature for the next release. It is coming along.

And yes, Checkbook for Android (or what ever it ends up being called) will have the ability to import records from Checkbook webOS. I have plans and the basic work for an automated backup system that would allow multiple devices to work off the same data set.

Personally I like entering the information manually. Then I can compare it against the bank records to see if everything matches up. Ideally, I would like to have the banking sync system (if I can ever do it) create a separate group of records that you could reconcile against your entered information. It would automatically match up certain items if possible (based on name and price). If it automatically matched them, it would mark the transaction as Cleared and maybe add a note of what the bank calls that transaction.

The only free service I know of that does sync with your accounts is Mint.com. They had a load of VC cash at first and also now have the backing of intuit. Unfortunately I have neither. I'd love to be able to work with them since they already have a large user base and the technology to talk to the banks, but no reply from my requests I have sent their way.

Manual Entry Checkbook app is exactly what I want, and it is a 4-5 start app. I enter exactly what I want and and it is up to date. If it were connected to my bank it would not be is accurate as banks take awhile for transactions to go through. I can also enter stuff in advance. And it would be difficult to make this work with all banks. My bank has a mobile site, so doing actual transactions on it is easy already. So get over it foosball.

To the author keep doing what you are doing. It is great. Looking forward to the search feature! I have to agree with you, I would rather manually enter my transactions also. I know what I enter is correct and then can compare to the bank. If you made a system like you said that did both then cleared when they matched that might be neat. Anyhow keep up the great work. My most used application on my Pre.
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 07/24/2010 at 12:29 AM.
    Another request:

Would it be possible to have a Bills feature? The user could add all monthly/quarterly/Yearly/Etc. bills or expenses into a list and when that bill is paid the user would just "check" off that bill as paid and it would repopulate its self for the next billing cycle? It would make a great way to keep track of bills paid and upcoming.

So lets say I have a utility bill due quarterly and it is due in July I would "check" as paid in July and it would repopulate as due again in October, etc.

I was playing with Wanderlife Budget for WebOS and it is a nice program, but more complicated than what I want. With that you need to enter amounts for transactions and etc.each month, I just want to be able to check a bill off as paid and be able to look and see if I paid it or when it is coming due.

I know your a busy person with WebOS and Android. But just throwing out ideas that as a customer I think would be beneficial.
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 07/24/2010 at 10:24 PM.
  15.    #1235  
    Another request:

Would it be possible to have a Bills feature? The user could add all monthly/quarterly/Yearly/Etc. bills or expenses into a list and when that bill is paid the user would just "check" off that bill as paid and it would repopulate its self for the next billing cycle? It would make a great way to keep track of bills paid and upcoming.

So lets say I have a utility bill due quarterly and it is due in July I would "check" as paid in July and it would repopulate as due again in October, etc.

I was playing with Wanderlife Budget for WebOS and it is a nice program, but more complicated than what I want. With that you need to enter amounts for transactions and etc.each month, I just want to be able to check a bill off as paid and be able to look and see if I paid it or when it is coming due.

I know your a busy person with WebOS and Android. But just throwing out ideas that as a customer I think would be beneficial.
    I'm still working on recurring transactions but I will look into a bills system after that. Don't worry, recurring transactions will be done soon.
    Like how we ask for stuff like you can snap your fingers and it will be done? LOL Keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Thanks for the update ryltar (Beta 0.8.728). However the transfer function seems to be broken. No transfer transactions are recorded when entered.
  18.    #1238  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Thanks for the update ryltar (Beta 0.8.728). However the transfer function seems to be broken. No transfer transactions are recorded when entered.
    Yah... I found that out too and just released a fix for it. I didn't pass in a variable when I needed to on the new transaction item so it was getting annoyed and not playing nice with the database.

Like how we ask for stuff like you can snap your fingers and it will be done? LOL Keep up the good work.
    Heh, someday I will be at that point of coding enlightenment but not yet.
    Hey hey. Any news on the app for Android? How did the local beta go? I absolutely loved this app but moved to Android. There is no app that even come close that's on the market. Can't wait to see something come through.
  20.    #1240  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinatwell View Post
    Hey hey. Any news on the app for Android? How did the local beta go? I absolutely loved this app but moved to Android. There is no app that even come close that's on the market. Can't wait to see something come through.
    It is coming. I think I will be sending it to the Android Market next week. Dunno how long it takes for something to be available to the public or anything like that...