Page 53 of 68 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1348
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1041  
    Quote Originally Posted by crm17 View Post
    I updated to webOS 1.4 and installed v0.8.690 (Beta).

I am getting the "Loading item..." for each item that was described earlier for a long time. Actually it looks like it is forever (gave up after 7 minutes) unless I scroll up and then it will quickly finish updating (within 10-20 seconds). When I scroll up I can actually see the entries rapidly appearing. My default view is my main checkbook with hundreds of entries. At first I thought this was just one time bookkeeping. I was sad to see it happens each time I open the app. It looks like a similar issue happens when I backswipe to get from budget back to register. It gives a status box of loading transactions forever. If I backswipe again, app minimizes, then when I maximize it again it shows the register.

I love the budget feature, very cleanly done and very useful. I would suggest a couple buttons to go forward / backward by current period length. So while looking at this month, I hit one button and I am looking at last month start to end. If I was looking at Jan to Mar, hitting backward would show me Oct to Dec.
    I'm not sure what is up with the lists. I cannot replicate this issue either on my device or the emulator unfortunately, but I'll look into it because I use the same architecture all over the app and I've had a couple reports of it now...

I like your suggestion on the buttons. I'll look into it and see what I can do about it.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Oops, I have 691, not 690.
    How can you import a spreadsheet into an EXISTING account?

I started an account with an opening balance at the beginning of the year and am trying to import the spreadsheet of all the transactions from 1/1/10 to now into that account from Google Docs. I have the "account" field in the spreadsheet the same name as the caccount I created in Checkbook, but every time I import the GDocs spreadsheet it imports it into a "Sheet1" account, not into the account I set up in Checkbook. Also, all checks in the spreadsheet are imported as a separate account!

What's up with that?! How do I get my spreadsheet into my existing account?
    Can you merge accounts?
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    Can you merge accounts?
    Maybe you could try to merge them into one spreadsheet? export what you have now, merge, then use that to create a new acct on your phone so you can double check everything. Delete old one, rename new one.

In theory it should work....
    No, because it was ONE spreadsheet (checks and debits) that I imported. It then split up all the debits into one account and EACH CHECK as it's own account. Exporting them all and merging them will do no good because as soon as I import it is going to separate them all again.
    I'm just manually putting all the checks in. Quite the pain, but I guess quicker than figuring out a solution. Not a very elegant importing process, but maybe it's the best that can be done.
    now that you have some in there, could you not export and compare? Maybe its just a character in the wrong place etc.
  9.    #1049  
    How can you import a spreadsheet into an EXISTING account?

I started an account with an opening balance at the beginning of the year and am trying to import the spreadsheet of all the transactions from 1/1/10 to now into that account from Google Docs. I have the "account" field in the spreadsheet the same name as the caccount I created in Checkbook, but every time I import the GDocs spreadsheet it imports it into a "Sheet1" account, not into the account I set up in Checkbook. Also, all checks in the spreadsheet are imported as a separate account!

What's up with that?! How do I get my spreadsheet into my existing account?
    ----------------------
    Can you merge accounts?
    Odd. I'll look into it. It might be a new bug. I personally have had this issue but I'll test for it.

You cannot merge accounts right now, but I can look into it. It might be a useful feature.

No, because it was ONE spreadsheet (checks and debits) that I imported. It then split up all the debits into one account and EACH CHECK as it's own account. Exporting them all and merging them will do no good because as soon as I import it is going to separate them all again.
    ----------------------
    I'm just manually putting all the checks in. Quite the pain, but I guess quicker than figuring out a solution. Not a very elegant importing process, but maybe it's the best that can be done.
    Are they two account with the same or different name headgamer? Do they have the same of different categories? If they have the same name and category then it's a bug and I'll dig and squash it. If not, then it might be user error or it might be a bug but we would be one step further along the path figuring it out.

----------------------
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

Also version update. A few fixes and additions. I tried something so see if it fixes the non-loading lists. If it is not available now, it will be soon.
    Last edited by ryltar; 03/02/2010 at 03:04 PM.
    Ryltar,

My account I had created on the Pre was "Capital City Bank". The spreadsheet had the column headers you mentioned in the program on the import screen (account, accountCAT, date, amount, description, cleared, note). At first I had the "account" column blank because I didn't know what to put there. Imported it and it imported it in Checkbook as a "Sheet1" account (even though I was in my Capital City Bank account when I imported so I thought it would import into it). I also didn't know what to put in the accountCAT column, so I just put the check numbers in there for the items that were checks. It created the Sheet1 account like I said and a different account for each check entered, with the check number as the account name.

So I deleted all that, went back to GDocs, and put "Capital City Bank" in the account column for every item imported. It then imported them all into Checkbook, into a duplicate "Capital City Bank" account. The checks were still each imported as their own accounts.

So what exactly is supposed to go in the accountCAT column? If not check numbers, why isn't there a "check#" column to be imported off the spreadsheet?

Does any of this help? I hope I was specific enough in my description.

What I ended up doing was just importing the "Capital City Bank" account from the spreadsheet, adding the opening balance from the account I had created in Checkbook, and then deleted the one I had made. I am still having to manually enter in all those checks that were imported into their own accounts, though.
    Otherwise, very well done program from what I can tell so far!
  12.    #1052  
    Ryltar,

My account I had created on the Pre was "Capital City Bank". The spreadsheet had the column headers you mentioned in the program on the import screen (account, accountCAT, date, amount, description, cleared, note). At first I had the "account" column blank because I didn't know what to put there. Imported it and it imported it in Checkbook as a "Sheet1" account (even though I was in my Capital City Bank account when I imported so I thought it would import into it). I also didn't know what to put in the accountCAT column, so I just put the check numbers in there for the items that were checks. It created the Sheet1 account like I said and a different account for each check entered, with the check number as the account name.

So I deleted all that, went back to GDocs, and put "Capital City Bank" in the account column for every item imported. It then imported them all into Checkbook, into a duplicate "Capital City Bank" account. The checks were still each imported as their own accounts.

So what exactly is supposed to go in the accountCAT column? If not check numbers, why isn't there a "check#" column to be imported off the spreadsheet?

Does any of this help? I hope I was specific enough in my description.

What I ended up doing was just importing the "Capital City Bank" account from the spreadsheet, adding the opening balance from the account I had created in Checkbook, and then deleted the one I had made. I am still having to manually enter in all those checks that were imported into their own accounts, though.
    Okay. I know what the issue is. The source of it is that I didn't update the import guide at all and it needs to be done. I'll make sure to do that soon. Sorry I didn't answer your post sooner, my chem class has cruddy signal and even worse wireless connectivity. Here is the 30 second rewrite of it

When importing new data into Checkbook, you should use the following column titles. They all do not have to be filled in, but the more data the better: account, accountCat, date, amount, description, cleared, checkNum, note. Capitalization doesn't matter.

Account is the name of your account which you wish to create (or import into) in Checkbook. accountCat is the account category (ie checking or savings). If you are trying to import transactions into an existing account, make sure the account and accountCat columns match those in your copy of Checkbook.

The date field can be any properly formatted date (currently recognized US standards, working to expand this).

The amount field is the amount of the transaction. It will strip anything but numbers and decimals out (again US standards for now, working to expand). If you have more than one decimal place, then the amount may be rendered invalid. I hope to have this and the date fields working with international standards in the near future.

The description field is the title or description of the transaction.

The cleared field is for marking if the transaction is cleared or settled. This will mark the item as cleared if it contains a yes or 1 or pretty much anything besides: 0, no, not, false.

The checkNum contains the check number of the transaction. This can be blank or it can be a number. Make sure the check number category is enabled in your account on Checkbook to view this information after the import.

Lastly the note field contains anything else you wish to record about the transaction. I often use it for writing down what book I bought, how many miles I got on that tank of gas, or what robot parts the transaction was for.

If you have any other questions about the import process, let me know. I'll do my best to help and fix any issues.
    I attempted to do an update when I saw that there was a new version. When this failed, I removed the older version and tried a clean install. In both cases I witnessed the following behavior:

1) Downloading... progress bar seemed to finish ok
    2) Installing... progress bar shown
    3) After a minute a notification stating: Installed: Checkbook Beta
    4) Notification disappears
    5) Installing... progress bar stays up forever (Waited up to 20 minutes).
    6) Close App Catalog card
    7) Checkbook Beta icon shows up in launcher with a blue circle overlay.
    8) Selecting the icon brings up App Catalog\My Applications

Anyone else seeing this behavior?
  14.    #1054  
    Quote Originally Posted by maroy View Post
    I attempted to do an update when I saw that there was a new version. When this failed, I removed the older version and tried a clean install. In both cases I witnessed the following behavior:

1) Downloading... progress bar seemed to finish ok
    2) Installing... progress bar shown
    3) After a minute a notification stating: Installed: Checkbook Beta
    4) Notification disappears
    5) Installing... progress bar stays up forever (Waited up to 20 minutes).
    6) Close App Catalog card
    7) Checkbook Beta icon shows up in launcher with a blue circle overlay.
    8) Selecting the icon brings up App Catalog\My Applications

Anyone else seeing this behavior?
    I had that happen to me as well. I was able to fix it by installing from the PreCentral feed on Preware. This can be done by disabling the app catalog beta and the app catalog beta updates feeds and telling preware to update.

If you aren't using preware, I'm not sure what to do. I've contacted Palm, but I am currently waiting on a response. (I only sent the message yesterday).
  15.    #1055  
    I don't usually do this, but some people are too much. A person reviewing my app today was annoyed that the Beta had more features than the paid version and I was screwing them over. It is hard to believe that some people are such morons, especially when it is said in the title and description of the app that it is Beta, it will have bugs and it will expire in the future. Well Ricky, get a clue. You'll be getting those features soon enough.

See the attached image if you feel like reading the full review.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ryltar; 03/03/2010 at 10:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    ryltar, I don't blame you! I would rather wait for a solid, reliable product, and I thank you.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    About the screenshot, what an ***. Clearly lacks basic understanding. I also doubt that shortcoming is limited to the finer points of application development.

About the loading... - I am now at Beta v0.8.693 and the problem appears to be slightly worse though it is hard to be sure. I seem to have to wrestle more before I can get it to finish and show lines. The scroll up trick does not work as well to kick it. I am not worried or complaining, I know it will get fixed eventually, but as of right now I cannot use the program when I need to quickly enter something. I would be willing to send you my backup of the account if that would help testing. (crm umich edu)

About the budget - Thanks for the backward and forward buttons!! It is a pretty cool feeling to have an idea in the morning that is liked by the developer in the afternoon and available in the app in the evening. Thank you!!!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    About the screenshot, what an ***.
    LOL! Apparently we are in a family friendly forum. I did not type three asterisks.
  19.    #1059  
    About the loading... - I am now at Beta v0.8.693 and the problem appears to be slightly worse though it is hard to be sure. I seem to have to wrestle more before I can get it to finish and show lines. The scroll up trick does not work as well to kick it. I am not worried or complaining, I know it will get fixed eventually, but as of right now I cannot use the program when I need to quickly enter something. I would be willing to send you my backup of the account if that would help testing. (crm umich edu)

About the budget - Thanks for the backward and forward buttons!! It is a pretty cool feeling to have an idea in the morning that is liked by the developer in the afternoon and available in the app in the evening. Thank you!!!
    I'm not sure what is up with the loading of the transactions. Does this issue occur on the Transaction Category Manager screen? It uses the same tech and has a long list by default so it should have the same issues. The data shouldn't be causing this issue. Could it be a conflict with mods maybe? At this point I honestly have no clue. I'll keep digging and trying to replicate it.

You suggestion was a good one, like many others I have gotten. Luckily it was relatively easy to add that feature in and not be cludgy. Now if only it was as easy to add in recurring transactions or auto-backup
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post
    I'm not sure what is up with the loading of the transactions. Does this issue occur on the Transaction Category Manager screen? It uses the same tech and has a long list by default so it should have the same issues. The data shouldn't be causing this issue. Could it be a conflict with mods maybe? At this point I honestly have no clue. I'll keep digging and trying to replicate it.
    Transaction Category Manager, if by that you mean open a transaction and click on category to get pick list, works fast and perfect.

I upgraded to webOS 1.4 specifically to get latest Checkbook that required it. I did EPR (removing all patches) and installed your app before I piled my patches back in and immediately had the problem. Now I have every patch in the universe again so I cannot test clean. But it appears unrelated.