Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I have four accounts setup in the checkbook app and after updating to the latest version .142 my main account will not open. It sticks on loading. All other accounts will open fine. Any ideas?
    If you feel that I have given you worthy advice please feel free to show your support. TY

Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post
    Checkbook only stores the information you put into it. The data is dissociative, so account names aren't next to transactions though it isn't too hard to figure out the link. The program does have the option for a pass code to keep snoopers out of the app or even specific accounts.

If someone gets their hands on your device it doesn't matter if it is encrypted to be honest... They'll be able to pull the data out and plug it into their own device and read the data as if it were their own.
    If that data were encrypted with a strong 256 bit cipher, then a strong password would basically make it astronomically impossible to read by a thief. The passcode itself is never stored on the device, but it is impossible to decrypt the data without knowing the passcode, even in raw form. The app (and anything else) has to run the cipher every time it reads the database. The same technique is used in password storing apps like SplashID and KeyRing.

I guess I'm more paranoid about my personal info than others, but cell phones are very susceptible to theft and having that peace of mind would go a long way. I already have the app installed to try it out, but I am really reluctant to start downloading bank account and credit card details into it in unencrypted form.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    If that data were encrypted with a strong 256 bit cipher, then a strong password would basically make it astronomically impossible to read by a thief. The passcode itself is never stored on the device, but it is impossible to decrypt the data without knowing the passcode, even in raw form. The app (and anything else) has to run the cipher every time it reads the database. The same technique is used in password storing apps like SplashID and KeyRing.

I guess I'm more paranoid about my personal info than others, but cell phones are very susceptible to theft and having that peace of mind would go a long way. I already have the app installed to try it out, but I am really reluctant to start downloading bank account and credit card details into it in unencrypted form.
    As of its current state this application DOES NOT store/download/sync the following (UNLESS YOU HAVE MANUALLY ENTERED IT IN THE APPLICATION SOMEWHERE):

YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS, BANK NAMES AND ADDRESS, ACCOUNT NUMBERS, ACTUAL BANK ACCOUNT PASSWORDS

It's a standalone app that lets you LOCALLY keep track of ONLY the information you put into it.

If future updates allow it to sync with online accounts then, yes, it will need encryption. Currently, all some data thief can do is look at my DB file and say, "This guy only has $105 in an account nicknamed primary checking." Ant that's it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    As of its current state this application DOES NOT store/download/sync the following (UNLESS YOU HAVE MANUALLY ENTERED IT IN THE APPLICATION SOMEWHERE):

YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS, BANK NAMES AND ADDRESS, ACCOUNT NUMBERS, ACTUAL BANK ACCOUNT PASSWORDS

It's a standalone app that lets you LOCALLY keep track of ONLY the information you put into it.

If future updates allow it to sync with online accounts then, yes, it will need encryption. Currently, all some data thief can do is look at my DB file and say, "This guy only has $105 in an account nicknamed primary checking." Ant that's it!
    Even so, simple transaction information combined with other personally identifying information on the device is plenty for criminals to use to commit identity theft. For example, often when credit card fraud is detected, banks will most often try to verify transaction information to validate the owner before lifting an account freeze. It does help that actual account numbers aren't stored, but I still think that in this day and age, you'd have to be living under a rock to not appreciate the need for as much information security as possible. I think it is an important feature request.
  5.    #625  

I'll look into it. Palm has very strict guidelines on encryption. I am working to keep it as secure as I can though. I'll work to add more security to it.

The primary issue with it is that the data is stored in a SQLite DB. If you have a reader you can open it. I cannot encrypt that. As of now I also am unable to create files on the Pre so I cannot set up my own DB system.
    Last edited by ryltar; 11/09/2009 at 06:02 PM.
  6.    #626  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    I have four accounts setup in the checkbook app and after updating to the latest version .142 my main account will not open. It sticks on loading. All other accounts will open fine. Any ideas?
    Try to update again. .143 should remove that issue. If you don't see it now, check back in 30 minutes.
  7.    #627  

To follow up on this, webOS has blowfish system to encrypt or decrypt the data. I can look into adding encryption into the system.

The one problem I do see with the is that if someone steals your phone and really wants to get at the data, the can 'root' the Pre fairly easily. This will allow them to go into the Pre and find any app or data they want. If they have the source of Checkbook (all webOS applications are simply html, css and javascript), all they would have to do is change it so that a password is no longer required. This would allow the thief to see all your data as there is no longer any password security and the app is open.

This scenario cannot be prevented because the app files themselves are not encrypted and cannot be locked down or encrypted in any way at this time. They can be obfuscated, but there are plenty of tools online that will undo that.

I'm not saying encryption is a bad idea, just that anything that is done can be broken. I'll look into adding it to Checkbook to mask what I can which would include but not be limited to account names and notes and transaction descriptions, amounts, dates and notes.
    I'll look into it. Palm has very strict guidelines on encryption. I am working to keep it as secure as I can though. I'll work to add more security to it.

The primary issue with it is that the data is stored in a SQLite DB. If you have a reader you can open it. I cannot encrypt that. As of now I also am unable to create files on the Pre so I cannot set up my own DB system.
    Actually what I was suggesting was more along the lines of encrypting the data before it is written to the SQLite DB. I'm not that familiar with the Mojo API, but how I would do it is have create a wrapper function on top of the function that inserts into the SQLite DB and encrypt each field individually using the given passphrase and a 256 bit cipher. That way, what is actually stored in the DB is gibberish unless the attacker is able to figure out the passphrase, which itself is never stored anywhere (and it wouldn't matter even if they got hold of the DB files themselves, all they would get is gibberish). They could change the app to not require the password, but it still wouldn't matter because the data itself must be decrypted to be read. The idea is to scramble everything instead of simply installing a door lock that can be broken. If as you said the Mojo API already has built in encryption functions then that would make things a lot easier.

I'm not familiar with Palm's own guidelines on encryption though, and I agree you should definitely take those into consideration. Again, great work on the app -- it really does look well done.
  9.    #629  
    Actually what I was suggesting was more along the lines of encrypting the data before it is written to the SQLite DB. I'm not that familiar with the Mojo API, but how I would do it is have create a wrapper function on top of the function that inserts into the SQLite DB and encrypt each field individually using the given passphrase and a 256 bit cipher. That way, what is actually stored in the DB is gibberish unless the attacker is able to figure out the passphrase, which itself is never stored anywhere (and it wouldn't matter even if they got hold of the DB files themselves, all they would get is gibberish). They could change the app to not require the password, but it still wouldn't matter because the data itself must be decrypted to be read. The idea is to scramble everything instead of simply installing a door lock that can be broken. If as you said the Mojo API already has built in encryption functions then that would make things a lot easier.

I'm not familiar with Palm's own guidelines on encryption though, and I agree you should definitely take those into consideration. Again, great work on the app -- it really does look well done.
    That is the plan. I just have to figure out now where to store items separately to make it more difficult to decrypt the information.
    The new version is so much faster! Thanks
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  11.    #631  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The new version is so much faster! Thanks
    Thanks, I reduced my personal load time by 1500% so it was definitely worth it to get that speed added in.
    Ryltar,

The icons of my accounts are not correct. They are all icons for checking accounts. Its been like that for a while. I thought its something you are still working on but i saw on the homebrew page that there are icons for credit cards, savings, etc.

I looked at each account in the preference page and all accounts hav e the checking icon next to them.
  13.    #633  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    Ryltar,

The icons of my accounts are not correct. They are all icons for checking accounts. Its been like that for a while. I thought its something you are still working on but i saw on the homebrew page that there are icons for credit cards, savings, etc.

I looked at each account in the preference page and all accounts hav e the checking icon next to them.
    Every account can be put in a different category in the latest versions. Each category can have an icon set to it. You can set the category for an account in the add or edit account page.

You can create, edit, or delete accounts as well. To access this ability, go into the Preferences Screen. At the bottom of this screen, there is a button that says something like Account Categories or Edit Account Categories (sorry, don't have my Pre near me... working on a paper for class). Here you can customize your categories including the names or the icons of them.

Sorry that wasn't clear in the FAQ page under the help menu. I'll make sure I clear that up.
    thanks man! you're always quick to reply! greatly appreciate that!

Still awaiting for your to put it on the catalog so i can give you some compensation for your work!
  15.    #635  
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    thanks man! you're always quick to reply! greatly appreciate that!

Still awaiting for your to put it on the catalog so i can give you some compensation for your work!
    Glad to have helped. Checkbook should be in the App Catalog soon. I am working with Palm at this time.
    Wow. Just... wow. I can't believe how fast the last update is! That was the last thing that would sometimes drive me a little crazy. Amazing app, and amazing effort. I'll be one of the first in line to get this from the app catalog!!
    Ryltar just wanted to say I greatly enjoy the new feature where you can click on the amount on top of each account to see cleread amounts and such but my question is if its possible to do the same on the main screen and if you select to display clreared transactions only that it changes all of the amounts on the main screen for all accounts to show cleared instead of total amounts. This is a feature that SplashMoney had and it was great. Thanks in advance.
  18.    #638  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    Ryltar just wanted to say I greatly enjoy the new feature where you can click on the amount on top of each account to see cleared amounts and such but my question is if its possible to do the same on the main screen and if you select to display cleared transactions only that it changes all of the amounts on the main screen for all accounts to show cleared instead of total amounts. This is a feature that SplashMoney had and it was great. Thanks in advance.
    I can look into that. It probably wouldn't be too difficult. Should the view change permanently (ie you'll have the change them via the transaction screen to show something different for each account) for all accounts or should it just be as long as you are on that screen?
    I can look into that. It probably wouldn't be too difficult. Should the view change permanently (ie you'll have the change them via the transaction screen to show something different for each account) for all accounts or should it just be as long as you are on that screen?
    No just like you have it on the individual screens like if you select cleared transactions it just displays all accounts with only cleared trasactions and the total on top adds up only clreared. Its not a permanant thing but only to see all your cleared stuff quickly. Thanks in advance for looging into this.
  20.    #640  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    No just like you have it on the individual screens like if you select cleared transactions it just displays all accounts with only cleared transactions and the total on top adds up only cleared. Its not a permanent thing but only to see all your cleared stuff quickly. Thanks in advance for looking into this.
    Okay, can do that. I'll have it implemented in the next version.

Lets have a vote for the next major feature. I'm working on all three but I want to see what interests you guys the most.
    1. Encryption
    2. Recurring Transactions
    3. Running Balance