Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #361  
    Going to upload IPK now. It should be available to download shortly. More changes than just a bug fix. The FAQ is very simplistic and will be worked on in future versions when I need some mindless work

Changes
    • Added support page and basic FAQ
    • Increased size of PIN pad buttons
    • Changed PIN input to mask characters instead of showing them
    • Fixed deletion error
    Last edited by ryltar; 09/16/2009 at 10:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ryltar, your the best... quick responses, quick solutions, and quick updates. Keep up the good work. I might just donate again... . I haven't had a chance to DL the update yet... my preware isn't loading and file coaster wont install due to me having too many apps already. haha.
    ryltar thanks a bunch this is awsome.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    by any chance is there a way to have it sync with online accounts? I bank with Chase and I figured it would be nice to self update and see the cleared items all done. Just wondering if that is even possible.
  5.    #365  
    Quote Originally Posted by rub2008 View Post
    by any chance is there a way to have it sync with online accounts? I bank with Chase and I figured it would be nice to self update and see the cleared items all done. Just wondering if that is even possible.
    I hope to have this someday. I don't right now. I really want to have it because it would rock!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post

As to a running balance on each transaction, it would be a little troublesome. I am going to put it on my list on the conditional that I can solve current speed issues and increase them. If I can't then the entire scene would have to reload when you make a change just to update the balance or something.
    Ryltar, you continue to do amazing work on this app. When I moved from Palm Treo my two critical losses were Accounts & Balances (A&B) and Datebk. Your current app is already in constant use and with planned upgrades will be 100% replacement for A&B. Thank you!!!!!

Running balances - This is extremely useful and I could live without it but really miss it. A&B had a tap that switched the view from amount to running balance. And even when amounts where showing, they were black until the underlying running balance went negative and then they were red. This makes it very easy to postpone the date of flexible expenses so that all the critical expenses and already spent money is in the black and covered.

I am a programmer but know nothing about Pre programming so just tossing an idea out: Maintain a running balance amount linked to a particular record (lets call it the "anchor") some number of transactions from the end. Most insertions will be near the end of the list and you will only have to recalc from the anchor forward. Periodically (daily?) move the anchor record forward. If an insertion invalidates your anchor, recalc the whole thing.

Minor quibble - the block of gray on main screen of accounts not in grand total looks really clunky. Ideas: use italic instead? show checkbox that indicates if included in grand total? put not included account names in ()?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I forgot to add that your export and import from Google Spreadsheets is an amazing and brilliant addition.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Sorry to spam, but one more thing.. Right now, without running balances, to reconcile my checkbook I have to uncheck the "Add in Uncleared" and "Add in Future" prefs, then when done I have to recheck them both so that I can watch not to overdraw the account. Also, once you do recurring transactions the need for running balance becomes even greater because of the presence (and I hope display of x number) future recurring transactions.
  9.    #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by crm17 View Post
    Ryltar, you continue to do amazing work on this app. When I moved from Palm Treo my two critical losses were Accounts & Balances (A&B) and Datebk. Your current app is already in constant use and with planned upgrades will be 100% replacement for A&B. Thank you!!!!!

Running balances - This is extremely useful and I could live without it but really miss it. A&B had a tap that switched the view from amount to running balance. And even when amounts where showing, they were black until the underlying running balance went negative and then they were red. This makes it very easy to postpone the date of flexible expenses so that all the critical expenses and already spent money is in the black and covered.

I am a programmer but know nothing about Pre programming so just tossing an idea out: Maintain a running balance amount linked to a particular record (lets call it the "anchor") some number of transactions from the end. Most insertions will be near the end of the list and you will only have to recalc from the anchor forward. Periodically (daily?) move the anchor record forward. If an insertion invalidates your anchor, recalc the whole thing.

Minor quibble - the block of gray on main screen of accounts not in grand total looks really clunky. Ideas: use italic instead? show checkbox that indicates if included in grand total? put not included account names in ()?

Right now, without running balances, to reconcile my checkbook I have to uncheck the "Add in Uncleared" and "Add in Future" prefs, then when done I have to recheck them both so that I can watch not to overdraw the account. Also, once you do recurring transactions the need for running balance becomes even greater because of the presence (and I hope display of x number) future recurring transactions.
    Thanks for all your input. I'm looking this over right now and a lot of it makes sense and is a good idea. I'll work on that way of doing things and see how it works with the speed of the program. If it doesn't hurt it too much, then I will be implementing it as soon as I can.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    A good thing to consider no matter what you do with running balances is allow a tap on the total amount at the top to rotate it through three choices:
    1) Current Balance
    2) Cleared Balance
    3) Future Balance

Another minor quibble, you have lots of room for transaction amounts, might want to bump the font up a size.

As always, thank you for your incredible responsiveness and all your work. Your app tells me I cannot donate till next paycheck but it insists I do so then.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Note that there is no such thing as Future Cleared, so your current 4 state pref with 2 flags is not necessary. But as I suggest, this really should not be a pref, it is used too often.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Date Advance -- I don't know if others find this to be so, but an action I take quite often is to move the date of a transaction forward 2 or 3 days. It takes a lot of work on the Pre in general to do this kind of date "bump". This is more a weakness of the standard date interface on the Pre than your app, but if others find this need as well, it might be worth a little "+" sign or arrow somewhere to advance one day. Palm should really change the standard date picker to allow this. To elaborate a bit, I move things that I cannot afford yet and I also move transactions to the cleared date so my Pre display more closely matches my bank statement to help with reconciling. I also "push along" uncleared transactions.
  13.    #373  
    A good thing to consider no matter what you do with running balances is allow a tap on the total amount at the top to rotate it through three choices:
    1) Current Balance
    2) Cleared Balance
    3) Future Balance

Another minor quibble, you have lots of room for transaction amounts, might want to bump the font up a size.
    I hope to have the multi balances set up to show with a tap soon. It just depends on how soon I can do other things that those depend on.

I don't know if I'll bump up the size of the transaction amounts because at 1,000,000$ level they are just at the edge of their block. I have to use static blocks with the current set up so that the transaction descriptions don't overrun the entire page.

Note that there is no such thing as Future Cleared, so your current 4 state pref with 2 flags is not necessary. But as I suggest, this really should not be a pref, it is used too often.
    I never liked the current set up for transactions. I'm working on figuring this out better.

Date Advance -- I don't know if others find this to be so, but an action I take quite often is to move the date of a transaction forward 2 or 3 days. It takes a lot of work on the Pre in general to do this kind of date "bump". This is more a weakness of the standard date interface on the Pre than your app, but if others find this need as well, it might be worth a little "+" sign or arrow somewhere to advance one day. Palm should really change the standard date picker to allow this. To elaborate a bit, I move things that I cannot afford yet and I also move transactions to the cleared date so my Pre display more closely matches my bank statement to help with reconciling. I also "push along" uncleared transactions.
    I don't like palm's default one either. I am working on transferring a simple calendar JSJSJS $item$ $that$ $I$ $wrote$ $a$ $while$ $ago$ $to$ $work$ $for$ $the$ $Pre$ $in$ $terms$ $of$ $click$-$able$ $areas$ $and$ $whatnot$.
    Last edited by ryltar; 09/16/2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Well, I downloaded the update. It fixed the deletion of 2 transactions, but a new one popped up. I went to my test account. I slid a transaction off the side of the screen to delete it, selected the delete confirmation button. The balance adjusted accordingly, but the transaction list still showed the one I just deleted. If I go back to the accounts list and then back into the test account, the deleted transaction no longer shows up.
  15.    #375  
    I'm aware of this annoyance. I'm working on fixing it. It'll be in an update soon. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow, maybe later... not sure right now.
    Great. Thanks for all the hard work.
    I love it! The ledger style background is inspired. I also like the icon selection for account types. Great update!

Bob
    This is a must have app. Once thing I was wondering is if there is any way to filter by acount type.
    thank you for the continued hard work!!
  20.    #380  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    This is a must have app. Once thing I was wondering is if there is any way to filter by acount type.
    Filter by account type? You mean on the primary screen? There isn't anything like that right now but if you provide the specifics of what you are looking for, I can work on adding it in. If you already have sorry. Just point me to the post... there are a few here.