Page 14 of 68 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    that's what i did and it didnt work
    Yikes. Not good.

Is it possible that the new install used a slightly different file name or directory name?

For example my checkbook database file is named "000000000000002c"
    After looking in my .app-storage folder I see that even though there are separate directories for each program, each database uses a unique name.

I would try deleting the program again.
    Deleting the database in the .app-storage folder
    Reinstalling the program and running it once
    Make note of the name of the new database
    Rename your old database to the same name as the new one
    Overwrite your new database with the renamed old one.

If thats what you did already then my apologies. I'm just trying to help. I would like this to work too.
    Last edited by rc46; 09/02/2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Clarrification
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Yikes. Not good.

Is it possible that the new install used a slightly different file name or directory name?

For example my checkbook database file is named "000000000000002c"
    After looking in my .app-storage folder I see that even though there are separate directories for each program, each database uses a unique name.

I would try deleting the program again.
    Deleting the database in the .app-storage folder
    Reinstalling the program and running it once
    Make note of the name of the new database
    Rename your old database to the same name as the new one
    Overwrite your old database.

If thats what you did already then my apologies. I'm just trying to help. I would like this to work too.
    You're absolutely right! It worked! Thanks man!
  3.    #263  
    Thanks rc46 for helping troubleshoot the issue. I was stuck in class all day and finally got a stable signal.

And just a quick update on the next update: The back end is built, it just needs to be made user friendly
    Hey this app is great! Is there any way to setup a function that shows the balance and then maybe the available balance. For example when you have a cd you have the balance of the cd but there is also an available balance.
    Code:
      G Savings xxxxx 24 MONTH TERM SHARE current $4,737.63 available $1,447.37

How do you delete an account or transcation in an account?
    Last edited by mamouton; 09/03/2009 at 06:13 AM.
    To Delte an account or transaction just swipe it off the screen, just like you would delete an E-mail.
    Ryltar,

My compliments on all of the improvements. I do have some suggestions (these maybe in the works, sorry, I didn't read the whole thread):

When in the individual account screen, would it be possible to toggle back and forth between the cleared balance and the actual balance?

Any way to have a check number field on the transaction screen? (I know its hard to believe, but I still write checks in 2009?

Thanks again for taking your time to develop this app. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate with a full courseload. With your abilities as a developer, you have a solid back up plan in case the whole college thing doesn't work out (TIC)

Bob
  7.    #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Hey this app is great! Is there any way to setup a function that shows the balance and then maybe the available balance. For example when you have a cd you have the balance of the cd but there is also an available balance.
    Code:
      G Savings xxxxx 24 MONTH TERM SHARE current $4,737.63 available $1,447.37
    I sort of understand what you are saying, and that is possible. I would need to know more about how those function exactly. Right now, I am working to make it show easier the difference balances (Actual Balance, Cleared Balance, etc) so that may help.

Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    To Delte an account or transaction just swipe it off the screen, just like you would delete an E-mail.
    Thanks for helping dkotoric1. I should have a basic help screen up and running in this next version I am working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob LeBlah View Post
    When in the individual account screen, would it be possible to toggle back and forth between the cleared balance and the actual balance?
    I do plan to do that (as I just pointed out a few lines earlier in this post). Are there specific balance types you guys want? I currently only have Actual Balance, Cleared Balance, and End Balance (adds in everything in the account) right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob LeBlah View Post
    Any way to have a check number field on the transaction screen? (I know its hard to believe, but I still write checks in 2009?
    Is there a general consensus for a whole new field for this? There is a notes field currently (though it is hard to see; I've changed the transaction entry screen to fix this) and that can hold any text one pleases.

And lastly, just a currently list of changes you can look forward to. These are the completed items, many more are nearly ready and just need some more backend or UI work.

• Progress indicator added to several pages
    • Account type icons
    • Category changes will follow through to accounts
    • Seemed to fix 24 hour bug
    • Auto-scrolling functions better
    • Deleting an account no longer deletes all linked transactions; these become stand alone transactions
    • Able to change the order of account categories (under account preferences)
    • Able to clear transactions by tapping checkbox
    • Able to import finances from Google Spreadsheets
    • Able to delete all transactions in an account (doesn't delete account)
    • Transactions page redesigned
    • Add/Edit account page redesigned
    • Add/Edit transaction page redesigned

The major hold up for this version's release is a major bug. With a sufficient number of records, one gets "RangeError: Script Interrupt, timeout exceeded" so I need to do some recoding to break up a few functions into smaller chunks. This won't take that long to complete and is something I should do anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post
    I sort of understand what you are saying, and that is possible. I would need to know more about how those function exactly. Right now, I am working to make it show easier the difference balances (Actual Balance, Cleared Balance, etc) so that may help.

Thanks for helping dkotoric1. I should have a basic help screen up and running in this next version I am working on.

I do plan to do that (as I just pointed out a few lines earlier in this post). Are there specific balance types you guys want? I currently only have Actual Balance, Cleared Balance, and End Balance (adds in everything in the account) right now.

Is there a general consensus for a whole new field for this? There is a notes field currently (though it is hard to see; I've changed the transaction entry screen to fix this) and that can hold any text one pleases.

And lastly, just a currently list of changes you can look forward to. These are the completed items, many more are nearly ready and just need some more backend or UI work.

• Progress indicator added to several pages
    • Account type icons
    • Category changes will follow through to accounts
    • Seemed to fix 24 hour bug
    • Auto-scrolling functions better
    • Deleting an account no longer deletes all linked transactions; these become stand alone transactions
    • Able to change the order of account categories (under account preferences)
    • Able to clear transactions by tapping checkbox
    • Able to import finances from Google Spreadsheets
    • Able to delete all transactions in an account (doesn't delete account)
    • Transactions page redesigned
    • Add/Edit account page redesigned
    • Add/Edit transaction page redesigned

The major hold up for this version's release is a major bug. With a sufficient number of records, one gets "RangeError: Script Interrupt, timeout exceeded" so I need to do some recoding to break up a few functions into smaller chunks. This won't take that long to complete and is something I should do anyway.
    All sounds good. 2 more questions. Will this be going in the app catalog? And will there be a way to purge after a certain date? Maybe this will help break up and/or integrate into the "chunks" you were looking for.
  9.    #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
    All sounds good. 2 more questions. Will this be going in the app catalog? And will there be a way to purge after a certain date? Maybe this will help break up and/or integrate into the "chunks" you were looking for.
    This will be going into the App Catalog. The only hold up right now is that I want to get Import, Export, and Recurring Transactions ready first (next release). I am not sure when it will go in, but I will release the next version here for mass testing (hopefully you guys don't find any bugs) and if all goes well for about a week or two, I'll submit it to the App Catalog.

I like the purge between dates idea, I'll set that up.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I'm not sure I agree with a new field for check numbers. I wrie checks also_ but not many. So what I do is preface the description with the check number.

1234 - Electric Bill

Will new version have ability to select a default account so the app opens directly to it instead of having to tap one?
    oooh man can't wait for the update, I hope you added some color to the app like maybe green for money for the background color. Seems like allot of these apps just using all the same old thing.
  12.    #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by fareal View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with a new field for check numbers. I wrie checks also_ but not many. So what I do is preface the description with the check number.

1234 - Electric Bill

Will new version have ability to select a default account so the app opens directly to it instead of having to tap one?
    Ideally... I have it on the build list so as long as I can solve the current bug in a short amount of time.

oooh man can't wait for the update, I hope you added some color to the app like maybe green for money for the background color. Seems like allot of these apps just using all the same old thing.
    The icons help a lot to add color to the program and the new transaction scene help make it less boring. I will keep working on the UI and work to make it better.
    That sounds great!

That works for me.

As far as a name, how about "Checkbook Balance" or simply "Balance" or something a little more cheeky: "Show me the Money"...(I know..lame, and probably a little too wordy, but its the best I've got.),

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by jschramm97 View Post
    This is just a suggestion for the intro post, but a thought is to include that:

WebOS 1.1 Users: To export the data from Checkbook set your Pre to USB mode and copy [insert filename(s) here] from /media/internal to your desktop. To restore your data copy files back to /media/internal (i assume this is correct to restore?)

Anyways just a thought.. This app is a life saver!
    I ran webOSDoctor today on mine and then re-installed this app. I had copied everything from my Pre prior to the webosdoctor to save all of my data. Before I ran Checkbook for the first time, I copied over the DB file as stated here, but it came up blank with no accounts. I reconnected as USB drive and found that checkbook had created a new DB file in the folder too. So I deleted the new file and just left the old one. It did it again. I deleted the new file and renamed the old file to the same as the new one and everything came back just fine. Thanks for the note.

Also, mine was located in: usb_drive_letter:\.app-storage\file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.glitchtech.checkbook_0

And great app by the way!
    Any hope for an update for this weekend.
  16.    #276  
    Any hope for an update for this weekend.
    There would be except for a rather large bug that occurs when there are at least 2000 records in an account. It slows down a lot and can time out as well. I am rewriting this a lot better right now and it will be fixed. I would have been able to finish it this weekend but I spent all day today wiring a house with Cat5 cable.

The update will either be out this week or next weekend so long as I don't run into any more major issues.
    This is great...thanks.
    Will you include an option for larger fonts for those who don't see as well.
    Also categories would be great so I know how much I spent on what.

Thanks for the great program, I would pay for it in a heart beat.
  19.    #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by trend709 View Post
    Will you include an option for larger fonts for those who don't see as well.
    Also categories would be great so I know how much I spent on what.

Thanks for the great program, I would pay for it in a heart beat.
    I'll add larger fonts to my potential feature list.

Categories are planned, they are just pending until I get the current release done. They will probably show up after this app goes to the catalog.

In other news, status update: I'm still working out the bug that occurs when you have a ton of records. I could put out a release tomorrow, but I would have to disable import. The release wouldn't have recurring transactions either because this annoying issue is taking up a lot of time.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    ryaltar, if it makes any difference and if they are not necessarily linked, it'd be great if you could get EXPORT added sooner rather thasn later even if IMPORT doesn;'t come at the same time.

Export will provide a back-up function that will give peace of mind before going to WebOS 1.2. There's probably a way to save the DB somewhere, and I think I may have even read something you wrote on that...but export of transactions might also help with othyer things (I'd LOVE to find out I can import straight into my old-beloved MSMoney) Thanks again for my FavAPP.
    Treo 300,600,650,755p and now Pre