Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I am requesting a Mint app! Anybody who can create the frontend for this will get a large donation from me! Free Personal Finance Software, Budget Software, Online Money Management and Budget Planner | Mint.com
  2.    #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by 17outs View Post
    I am requesting a Mint app! Anybody who can create the frontend for this will get a large donation from me! Free Personal Finance Software, Budget Software, Online Money Management and Budget Planner | Mint.com
    While that is interesting, I think the best place to request it would be on Mint's website. I use their software as well and like the interface. I would like it if I could integrate some aspects of their web-application into this Pre app, but I haven't heard back from them about it.
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Hi,

I have been a longtime user of a checkbook app on my previous palm phones and it has come to be my most valued app - therefore, I was elated to find it come out in the Homebrew list. However, I think there are some inherent things wrong with it that is preventing it from being functional to me. Unless I am missing something, I have found the following to be a major problem:

-I think the way it is presenting the cleared vs. posted balances is incorrect. One of my most important things to do in the checkbook when comparing it to my account online is to be able to get a picture for the 'cleared' balance, vs. the posted balance. This is important so I don't overdraw my account. For instance, if my account is zero and I deposit 100 dollars and it clears on that day, my cleared and posted account balance is 100. But then, if on the next day I write a check for 5 dollars and it doesn't clear, my cleared balance is still 100, and my book keeping posted balance is 95. The checkbook app would show my cleared balance as negative 5. Maybe I haven't quite figured it out, and if not can you please tell me how to set it up to achieve my goal?

-Also, this app should be able to schedule monthly transactions, I did not see that in there.

I appreciate your help in this area.

Thanks,
    C
  4.    #204  
    This is currently a bug. Cleared transactions will not be added into the system unless you change the related setting in preferences. This is fixed in the version I am currently working on, though that version is not ready for release because I broke something else >.<

Also I am working on recurring transactions, it is just taking a bit of time to finish since my courses for the fall semester are beginning soon.
  5. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Ryltar, after tweaking the settings I think the app is perfect for my needs except for one annoyance. I've got my transactions set to sort with the newest on top and every time I open an account I have to pull the transactions down because some are hidden at the top. Other than that, I love this app.
  6.    #206  
    Thanks for that note bbr, I forgot to change that when I added in the new settings. I'll make a note to fix that when I get time to work on the application.
  7. bbr
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    No problem. Keep up the good work, this is by far my favorite app that I've downloaded.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    This app has never worked for me, I've downloaded it on 3 different occasions.

Whenever I make an account and try to go into it to start adding transactions, the action buttons at the bottom of the screen disappear as soon as they hit the screen.

Am I really the only one with this problem?
  9.    #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    This app has never worked for me, I've downloaded it on 3 different occasions.

Whenever I make an account and try to go into it to start adding transactions, the action buttons at the bottom of the screen disappear as soon as they hit the screen.

Am I really the only one with this problem?
    Are you turning the "Account Locked" feature on? This will not allow you to enter transactions into the account and sounds exactly like what you are describing.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post
    Are you turning the "Account Locked" feature on? This will not allow you to enter transactions into the account and sounds exactly like what you are describing.

Yup.

I was just a bit confused because I thought that "Lock account" would turn on pin entry for that account (not completely lock the account from edit)

But now I realize that pin entry is only on application start-up. Is there a way to add pin entry to other scenes?
    This is by far the most useful application out for use on the Pre. I used SplashMoney on the old 680 but they told me there wasn't enough of a user base to quantify making an app for the WebOS.

And here we have an excellent application that even in it's infancy makes SplashMoney seem like messing with MSMoney1998.

Over all the application is spot on. There are a few features that I'd like to see but most, if not all, have been mentioned (Recurring transactions, cleared vs true balance, and a bills function)

On the cleared vs available balance thing, the simple way around that would be have a balance column and allow the list to be sorted by cleared>date...what ever is in the balance column is your cleared and the top balance is the available.

On the bills portion just a simple list of the bills that are paid each month. When setting a bill up you set an amount (Or varying), a date and a frequency. Then as you pay them have a little paid selector much like the cleared selector in the checkbook transactions page.
    Great app! one feature request is a budget feature... with categories for expenses.
    Hey also another recomendation would to just have bothe the leared balance and total balance always display on top next to each other or something like that would be cool
    I love this app. Do you think you will be able to export to csv in later versions?
    Quote Originally Posted by ryltar View Post
    Right now the DB is stored in /media/internal/.app-storage/checkbook I believe. /media/internal is the folder you see when you connect your Pre to a computer in Media Mode. Look in the .app-storage folder for something with Checkbook in the name and open that folder. In that folder, there will be a .db file. You can copy this to your computer to back up your data for now.

I'm currently working on an update that will allow you to import or export a spreadsheet file from Google Documents. This should keep your data pretty secure, but you can delete files after you send them to the Pre or after you copy them to your hard drive.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Can i restore my database from that file if i reinstall this app?
  16.    #216  
    You can. Just replace the .db file after you reinstall the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Ryltar, after tweaking the settings I think the app is perfect for my needs except for one annoyance. I've got my transactions set to sort with the newest on top and every time I open an account I have to pull the transactions down because some are hidden at the top. Other than that, I love this app.
    Had same issue, just change the settings to oldest first, and you will be working downwards instead of upwards, but the newest transactions will display immediately, upon acct opening
  18.    #218  
    Checkbook v0.6.0: [08/16/2009]
    Change Log
    • Fixed cleared transactions
      • Cleared transactions are always added to the total balance
      • Option changed so you can add in uncleared transactions
    • Hidden account changes
      • Hidden accounts can now be hidden, masked, or shown (set in preferences)
      • Hidden accounts do not add up to the total balance
      • You can interact with hidden accounts normally
    • Locked account
      • Cannot add or edit transactions in a locked account
      • Can transfer funds from another account to a locked account

Download the latest version from the Homebrew Apps Gallery: Checkbook

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a small update, I am working on getting the recurring transactions and import/export up and running. Those will be in the next major updates.
    Last edited by ryltar; 08/16/2009 at 09:38 PM.
    For some reason I'm not able to download the update using filecoaster it just keeps sitting and downloading forever.
  20.    #220  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    For some reason I'm not able to download the update using filecoaster it just keeps sitting and downloading forever.
    Same here, not sure why. But I can download it from the link just fine to my PC. Filecoaster must be having some issue with it...