Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    1.1 user here.

Hadn't installed prior to 1.1, ssh'd in installed via wget/tar

Program runs, reports that its added/removing, after several reboots, no actual changes are made

D;
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    1.1 user here.

Hadn't installed prior to 1.1, ssh'd in installed via wget/tar

Program runs, reports that its added/removing, after several reboots, no actual changes are made

D;
    If someone is willing to work with me over the phone tomorrow, please PM me and we'll get in contact. Thanks all for your patience.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled... Tried a few different things... Magic combo is downloading, untaring, REBOOT. Then start adding words, reboot, and then its all good... Just takes a reboot after install... Perhaaps the files permissions aren't changed till after that first reboot?
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by FuManChuu View Post
    Uninstalled and reinstalled... Tried a few different things... Magic combo is downloading, untaring, REBOOT. Then start adding words, reboot, and then its all good... Just takes a reboot after install... Perhaaps the files permissions aren't changed till after that first reboot?
    Thanks FuManChuu. I've clarified that in the instructions. Not sure if this fixes it for everyone, as some users have reported rebooting several times.

The app doesn't change the permissions on the autoreplacement dictionary file. But the app also may not have been granted the rights to write to the root-owned dictionary file until after the reboot you (and others) are suggesting. Thanks again.
    Last edited by rhong; 07/29/2009 at 07:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I installed via usb and putty. I have rebooted several times and it still doesn't work for me. I will try to uninstall and reinstall once you post directions on uninstalling, forgive my ignorance but I am a full fledged beginner when it comes to this rooting stuff, however I was able to get the tether app on my phone and it works fine.
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by jth6570 View Post
    I installed via usb and putty. I have rebooted several times and it still doesn't work for me. I will try to uninstall and reinstall once you post directions on uninstalling, forgive my ignorance but I am a full fledged beginner when it comes to this rooting stuff, however I was able to get the tether app on my phone and it works fine.
    Thanks for your help in this. I posted the uninstallation instructions within the first post last night.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    this looks really good, but im not really trying to root my phone, maybe down the road
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Nice to see another app that requires rooting, even 'though I haven't done that yet.
    Its simple to do it, once you get it done you will recommend to others as well
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  9.    #89  
    So I've heard of installation issues, since that is one of the reasons why we have this support thread, but have people had successful installs? I'd like to hear from those who have successfully installed to, so I know that my instructions are at least working for the majority of users.

I'd also love to hear about feature requests and other comments as well.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    So I've heard of installation issues, since that is one of the reasons why we have this support thread, but have people had successful installs? I'd like to hear from those who have successfully installed to, so I know that my instructions are at least working for the majority of users.

I'd also love to hear about feature requests and other comments as well.

Thanks.
    rhong--

Will uninstall tonight after work and reinstall exactly as your instructions say. Will postback my results!
    Just installed you updated version NO PROBLEMS. I think the problem is ether they are typing it in wrong, copy-pasting it with out the last bit, or not rebooting.

EDIT: For those who want to install via the on board terminal replace the download URL with http://rennat.webs.com/AutoCorrectEdit-1.0.0.tar.gz and that should make it work. I don't know what was wrong with rhong's but that should work. (rhong you may want to put this in the first post)
    Last edited by Rennat; 07/29/2009 at 01:00 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    Just installed you updated version NO PROBLEMS. I think the problem is ether they are typing it in wrong, copy-pasting it with out the last bit, or not rebooting.

EDIT: For those who want to install via the on board terminal replace the download URL with http://rennat.webs.com/AutoCorrectEdit-1.0.0.tar.gz and that should make it work. I don't know what was wrong with rhong's but that should work. (rhong you may want to put this in the first post)
    Hey Rennat, are you talking about those attempting to install via the Pre terminal application? Is it the length of the URL that is affecting the download?
    If you install it into /usr/palm/applications, it has the access to edit the autoreplace file in /etc. No special sym linking or ownership changes required.
    Still a no go but I am able to delete the file. I have a couple of questions. I am also logging on the Pre via PUTTY via WIFI and not USB. Does something else have to change then? Do you still have to do "sudo su -" at the start to get to root? This is what I have been doing then copy and pasting the script from the second half.
    If you install it into /usr/palm/applications, it has the access to edit the autoreplace file in /etc. No special sym linking or ownership changes required.
    Ok, for those who have Pres where AutoCorrect Edit is not working, did you install via ssh into your Pre, or did you set up developer mode and use a USB cable? Thanks.
    Missed your post the first time. I am ssh via Putty and WIFI.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I just got off the phone with rhong and he has the problem fixed for those of you that can't get autocorrect to work, he will be posting the new install scrip later tonight. He used me as a guinnea pig and it worked great for me!
    I just got off the phone with rhong and he has the problem fixed for those of you that can't get autocorrect to work, he will be posting the new install scrip later tonight. He used me as a guinnea pig and it worked great for me!
    Great to hear!!
  17.    #97  
    Ok, updated instructions posted.

Craftsman, please try it out and let us know how it works out.
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Would love to be able to do this, but I'm not quite ready to root my phone. Thank you so much for putting in the time to do this. Maybe Palm will take the hint!
    Nope gave it a try and no change. When you say reboot will does a reset (power button down and slient on off 3 time) do it. Do I need to do something different.

The new files did install.
  20.    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Nope gave it a try and no change. When you say reboot will does a reset (power button down and slient on off 3 time) do it. Do I need to do something different.

The new files did install.
    Two restarts are needed. One after install. Then add entries in the application. Reboot after adding entries to make the shortcuts active and usable.
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast