Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2328293031323334353637 LastLast
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Everytime I attempt to uninstall ACE it freezes my phone. Please help!
  2.    #642  
    Quote Originally Posted by seaner925 View Post
    I received your private message and will reply to that, but essentially:
    Code:
    # Log in to your Palm Pre as the root  user.
    # Copy and paste the line below and run it when you are root...

wget -qO- http://rickhong.com/autocorrectedit/dist/uninst.php | /bin/sh
    I just purchased ACE and followed the instructions I was emailed to use QuickInstall. I followed all the steps and there appeared to be no problems. I entered a few shortcuts and restarted the phone twice, but none of the shortcuts appear to work. What steps should I take to troubleshoot?

Palm Pre on Sprnt with OS 1.4.1.1
  4.    #644  
    Quote Originally Posted by japepper View Post
    I just purchased ACE and followed the instructions I was emailed to use QuickInstall. I followed all the steps and there appeared to be no problems. I entered a few shortcuts and restarted the phone twice, but none of the shortcuts appear to work. What steps should I take to troubleshoot?

Palm Pre on Sprnt with OS 1.4.1.1
    Hi japepper,

I've emailed you back.
  5. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Although any new entries I create appear to work properly, all the built-in entries and extra 3000 words patch entries no longer seem to be functional. Any ideas?

UPDATE: The ACE file in the USB drive shows only the entries I've put in using ACE. The rest of the built-in and 3000 words patch are absent. I am unable to uninstall the 3000 words patch using Preware or WOSQI (just gives me a message about 44 out of 44 hunks failed), and I am unable to uninstall ACE using WOSQI, since WOSQI does not show ACE as being installed. I re-installed ACE per your instructions in the original email you sent, but it still does not show as installed in WOSQI. HELP!
    Last edited by GHT; 06/07/2010 at 09:49 AM.
  6.    #646  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Although any new entries I create appear to work properly, all the built-in entries and extra 3000 words patch entries no longer seem to be functional. Any ideas?

UPDATE: The ACE file in the USB drive shows only the entries I've put in using ACE. The rest of the built-in and 3000 words patch are absent. I am unable to uninstall the 3000 words patch using Preware or WOSQI (just gives me a message about 44 out of 44 hunks failed), and I am unable to uninstall ACE using WOSQI, since WOSQI does not show ACE as being installed. I re-installed ACE per your instructions in the original email you sent, but it still does not show as installed in WOSQI. HELP!
    Hey GHT, I'm gonna email you to figure out the history of what went on after we last corresponded. If you attempt to install the 3000 word patch, it will mess with the ACE dictionary. I can get your dictionary + the 3000 word patch dictionary together. I'll just need the two files from you, which you can send me via email.

Anyway, expect an email from me soon. Thanks.
    Just want to say that I purchased ACE about a week ago. I had problems getting it to work, and after I emailed Rick, he worked assiduously over a week to get it functional, exchanging over 20 emails to trace down the problem. If all developers were this good with customer service there would be a lot less frustration out there. Thanks a lot!
  8. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    Hey GHT, I'm gonna email you to figure out the history of what went on after we last corresponded. If you attempt to install the 3000 word patch, it will mess with the ACE dictionary. I can get your dictionary + the 3000 word patch dictionary together. I'll just need the two files from you, which you can send me via email.

Anyway, expect an email from me soon. Thanks.
    Got it fixed (or at least mitigated) somehow. Here's what I did:

1. Tried to uninstall 3000 words patch - no success.
    2. Uninstalled ACE - success, but no autocorrect functions returned to pre-ACE state. (Auto-correct completely non-functional.)
    3. Pulled the Palm auto-correct file using WOSQI - only the 4 words I had changed using ACE were listed.
    4. Ran WebOS Repair Utility - found/fixed some errors in the etc/ directory (can't remember exact path.)
    5. Upon restart, 3000 words patch was no longer shown as installed.
    6. Reinstalled ACE. (Same 4 words were the only auto-correct entries.)
    7. Placed one of the refined auto-correct dictionaries in the ACE directury using USB mode.
    8. Auto-correct functionality restored to working state.

Though I still don't know what caused this error, at least it was fixed without a visit to the doctor.
    Rick,
    I just want to thank you for all the time and effort you put in to solving my similar problem.
    Thinking up acronyms and shortcuts has become a game...so much that at dinner last night my wife asked me me if I could do that some other time. Thank you. Len
    Hey, I have the Pre on Verizon. WebOS 1.4.1.1. I installed ACE Demo through WOSQI and restarted my phone. Then I added "ure" as the shortcut and the full word "you're" as a test and then restarted the phone again. Test...FAIL. I wanted to see how it worked before buying at least.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Nothing's working. Help?
    Last edited by palkag; 06/12/2010 at 10:20 AM.
  11.    #651  
    Quote Originally Posted by palkag View Post
    Hey, I have the Pre on Verizon. WebOS 1.4.1.1. I installed ACE Demo through WOSQI and restarted my phone. Then I added "ure" as the shortcut and the full word "you're" as a test and then restarted the phone again. Test...FAIL. I wanted to see how it worked before buying at least.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Nothing's working. Help?
    Hi palkag,

The demo has issues with certain Pres. I sent you a private message to email me. I hope you're able to read the private message. I'll help out to get you working.

Thanks.
    I have ppp (serial number P7VE017A5AFW) with 1.4.1.1 on Verizon Installed ACE with WOSQI. Appeared to accept installation, and allows me to go through the motions of defining shortcut and replacement. But when I push the activate changes button nothing happens. Uninstalled the 3000 word addendum and ACE (with WOSQI) and then re-installed ACE. Still didn't work and didn't respond when I pushed the Purchas ACE button.
    Last edited by smaust1n; 06/22/2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Provide serial number
    I too am having trouble uninstalling the app. I tried many ways to uninstall it including via preware, but it would just freeze and result me to take my battery out and restart. I don't understand what you mean by logging in to your Palm Pre as the root user as I've never rooted my pre before. Can you please assist me?
    Last edited by bawezy; 06/22/2010 at 07:52 AM.
  14.    #654  
    Hey bawezy and smaust1n,

Let me work with you over email. I've been swamped recently, sorry for the late reply.

Private Message me your email addresses if you hadn't already so I can email you back. Thanks in advance.
    I really miss this feature from my Treo 680, and ACE seems to be the closest equivalent (with UI) available. I'd like to get this, but it looks quite difficult to install/maintain/uninstall/repair. Maybe if the solutions weren't kept private, it would make users more comfortable to take the plunge?

Just a thought. Ciao!
  16.    #656  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    I really miss this feature from my Treo 680, and ACE seems to be the closest equivalent (with UI) available. I'd like to get this, but it looks quite difficult to install/maintain/uninstall/repair. Maybe if the solutions weren't kept private, it would make users more comfortable to take the plunge?

Just a thought. Ciao!
    It isn't difficult to install or use at all. What makes you feel that it is? The demo isn't working on all devices, but there isn't one Pre that I haven't successfully installed the registered version on.
    I had the same problem; copying and pasting the line of code didn't do it for me, but simply selecting the App and clicking Uninstall in the Device Management part of WebOSQuickInstall worked.
    Just installed the full version courtesy of Rick. I'm running ACE with no major problems, but I AM learning the ins and outs of this app. Here's a quick list of observations:

• The first entry I did was not saved in the main dictionary list, but appeared (first line) in the personalEntries.txt file. This was easily remedied via USB and manually editing the dictionary file.

• I copied over (and edited appropriately) my ShortKeys file (ShortKeys Home Page), but erased the multi-line entries – these aren’t supported right? I haven’t tested but I didn’t think so.. It would be great if it were though..

• Added a total of about 100 shortcuts, and they all seem to be working nicely!

• The first time I installed ACE, the AutoCorrectEdit folder didn’t appear even after a full restart. Not until I entered some shortcuts and activated it did that appear.

• I'm thinking once the ACE folder is available, you can also edit the dictionary file with Internalz? Just hit activate again in ACE or do a Luna Restart, right? Update: Internalz can’t read the text-edit-autoreplace file because there is no file extension... I wonder if that can be set somewhere?

• What are the odds that you can include some time/date functions ala ShortKeys (above)? Like you enter “ds” and out comes 7/2/10? Just another thought.

• I have a “Lorem” shortcut that got truncated up to “aliq”.. I'm not sure how many characters that is, but here’s the full text: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non provident, sunt in culpa qui official deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

• You can’t make longer entries by chaining ACE entries like:
    line1|Long Text1 line2
    line2|Long Text2

I was thinking it would come out as “Text1 Long Text2”. It was worth a shot though.. :P

• When bulk-editing, always leave an extra line or two at the end of the file. If not, when you use ACE to add an entry, it will append it to the last entry.
    For example:
    lastentry|Last Entry

If you add a new entry via ACE, it would come out as:
    lastentry|Last Entrynewentry|New Entry

Again, thanks Rick for making shortcut management easy on the Pre!
    I tried the demo version but it didn't work. Based on comments here in the forum I decided to take the chance on getting the paid version.

I "ordered" it about 1800 last night and had an immediate email back from Rick telling me that the info on the paid version would be coming. That arrived about 2230 last night but I didn't get around to installing ACE until this morning.

Installation took only a few minutes and went quite smoothly. I have 25 patches on my Pre including the 3000 word patch.

I'm glad that I took the chance on the paid version since it will be great to create shortcuts/corrections "on the fly" rather than by connecting to my computer.

Thanks for the great and prompt service, Rick!

Tony
    metus delenda est

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom." -- Jumpmaster, Ft. Benning, 1965
  20. 3FC
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    If this was already asked, or stated somewhere else, I'm sorry.. I haven't seen it yet but didn't read all pages either. Will this work on the pixi, or pre only?