Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 732
  1. #541  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    Thanks Shadowcat.

    Glad it wasn't just me screwing something up! :-)

    Looking forward to this working too. More so because I'm tired of correcting what the stock autocorrect file thinks are mistakes. Ugh, what a pia.
    Do you have an AutoCorrect Edit folder on your USB drive? If you only have the demo version, you might not. I'm not sure if my folder was reinstalled before or after I re-installed my paid version of the app. If you do have it, you can manually edit the text-edit-autoreplace file that's in that folder and remove the entries that are bugging you, as well as add new ones that you'd like to have. As I mentioned, it's still much easier to edit a file that's located on the USB drive than it is to edit a file located in the core of the operating system.

    If you don't have an ACE folder on your USB drive, then your Pre is still using the original text-edit-autoreplace file for your autocorrects, located in /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/. If you're interested, I could give you instructions on a way to edit this file using WebOS Quick Install. While it's definitely much easier to edit a file on your USB drive, it's not really all that hard to do the same thing using WOSQI - it's just a few more steps. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until Rick figures out what broke with the new update. Once he gets it fixed, I highly recommend that you shell out the 5 bucks, if you haven't already. My ACE was broken for only 2 days and I just about lost my little mind without it. ;-)

    PS - In case anyone gets the impression that ACE is now working properly for me, let me just reiterate: I still can't add/change autocorrects using ACE; however, ACE has redirected my autocorrect file to the one located on my USB drive, and I have been manually editing it there.
  2. TheMacs's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    #542  
    I do not have an AutoCorrectEdit folder in either location.

    I agree - I get majorly annoyed with some of the 'corrections' (and I miss a lot of the additions I had with TextPlus).

    Would welcome the instuctions on manually editing the file via WOSQI.

    If ACE works as good for me as it seems to for others, I'll quickly buy the full version once Rick gets it going.
  3.    #543  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I get the same thing. I did not have it loaded prior to 1.3.5.
    I think my demo ipk may be having issues with the new OS. I have a new demo ipk I can send those of you having trouble. If I can have it tested enough, I'll release it. Please PM me. Thanks.
  4.    #544  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Do new entries obey grammar rules? For example if I set 'y' to mean 'yes' will it always force lower case 'yes' or will it dynamically change to 'Yes' if preceded by a full stop (or period as you guys across the pond like to call them)?
    If you set up 'y' to autocorrect to 'yes' and 'n' to autocorrect to 'no' (everything in lower case), then...
    'y' will autocorrect to 'yes'
    'Y' will autocorrect to 'Yes'
    'n' will autocorrect to 'no'
    'N' will autocorrect to 'No'
    (that's using any of the word delimiters, like space, period, comma, exclamation, question mark, etc.
    Eg. 'Y.' will autocorrect to 'Yes.'
    'n!' will autocorrect to 'No!'
  5. #545  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    I do not have an AutoCorrectEdit folder in either location.

    I agree - I get majorly annoyed with some of the 'corrections' (and I miss a lot of the additions I had with TextPlus).

    Would welcome the instuctions on manually editing the file via WOSQI.

    If ACE works as good for me as it seems to for others, I'll quickly buy the full version once Rick gets it going.
    Ok, here goes:

    1. Connect your Pre to your computer, choose Just Charge, then run WebOS Quick Install.
    2. In the menu bar, choose Tools | Receive File.
    3. In the box that opens, type "/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/text-edit-autoreplace" (without the quotes!) for File, use the file picker (the button with ... on it) to choose a location on your computer where you want to copy that file to (I usually just use my desktop), then click Get From Device!
    4. Use your favorite text editor to open text-edit-autoreplace from wherever it is that you saved it. (Note: MS Word isn't really the best program for this - it tends to do funky things to the file. I use TextPad, but WordPad or even Notepad are good.)
    5. Make whatever changes you want to the file and save it. (It would probably be a good idea to make a backup of the original before you make changes, though.)
    6. Go back to Quick Install, and in the menu bar, choose Tools | Send File.
    7. Use the file picker to select your modified file, and in the destination folder, type "/etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/" (again, without the quotes) [Please note: this is different than what you typed before! You are picking a folder this time, not a specific file.]
    8. Click Send to Device!
    9. Do a luna restart on your phone.


    That's it! If you have any problems or questions, let me know.
  6. TheMacs's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    #546  
    Thanks a bunch Shadowcat. I'll probably be able to give it a try at home later tonight. Seems pretty straightforward. If I get jammed up, I'll post up or PM you.

    In the meantime, I volunteered to test Rick's latest demo version too.
  7. TheMacs's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    #547  
    Shadowcats instructions work to a tee.

    I found Notepad to be nearly impossible to use. WordPad was fine. (I don't have TextPad.)

    Look forward to ACE.
  8. #548  
    i just paid for this app. how do i activate or download the full version??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  9.    #549  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i just paid for this app. how do i activate or download the full version??
    I've emailed you back. Thanks for your purchase. I'll be generating your AutoCorrect Edit distribution soon.
  10. #550  
    thanks alot!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  11.    #551  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    thanks alot!
    Let me know how the install goes. Thanks.
  12. #552  
    I keep forgetting to mention that everything is once again working perfectly with my ACE. I don't know if it was necessary, but I uninstalled everything related to ACE, including the ACE folder located in my USB drive (after backing it up, of course), and I used the Repair Utility to put the stock autoreplace file back in the /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/ folder. Then I rebooted and reinstalled using the download instructions that Rick sent to me when I first purchased. I copied over my backup copy of text-edit-autoreplace to my USB drive and activated my changes and now it's all working without a hitch. I'm sure a lot of that wasn't necessary, but I'm a neat freak, so I'm constantly cleaning up my file system unnecessarily.

    Rick, thanks again for a fantastic program!
  13. #553  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I keep forgetting to mention that everything is once again working perfectly with my ACE. I don't know if it was necessary, but I uninstalled everything related to ACE, including the ACE folder located in my USB drive (after backing it up, of course), and I used the Repair Utility to put the stock autoreplace file back in the /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/ folder. Then I rebooted and reinstalled using the download instructions that Rick sent to me when I first purchased. I copied over my backup copy of text-edit-autoreplace to my USB drive and activated my changes and now it's all working without a hitch. I'm sure a lot of that wasn't necessary, but I'm a neat freak, so I'm constantly cleaning up my file system unnecessarily.

    Rick, thanks again for a fantastic program!
    Where can I find said repair utility? Or where can I get an copy of the original Autocorrect file? Mine has been pretty goofy since I installed the autocorrect terms from Google patch, and uninstalling the patch hasn't fixed everything.

    So I guess my question is: how can I revert back to the original AC info?
    Last edited by magicjj; 01/27/2010 at 09:22 AM.
  14. #554  
    Quote Originally Posted by magicjj View Post
    Where can I find said repair utility? Or where can I get an copy of the original Autocorrect file? Mine has been pretty goofy since I installed the autocorrect terms from Google patch, and uninstalling the patch hasn't fixed everything.

    So I guess my question is: how can I revert back to the original AC info?
    WebOS Repair Utility basically scans the entire operating system on your Pre and compares it to the original operating system files. If it finds a difference, it'll replace the modified file with the original. If you have files that you have patched, the repair utility recognizes that and ignores them, unless you choose "Override Compatibility" in the Options menu. As it scans, you can choose to manually select what files you want to be replaced, or just have it replace everything that it finds. The latter option can be a little risky, simply because, while it does a really great job ignoring patched files, every now and then, it will try to replace a file that you don't want replaced. To use it, follow the link I provided and follow all the instructions in the first post in that thread.

    The repair utility is great, but if all you're wanting to do is replace one file, it'd be easier to use WebOS Quick Install to send the file right where you need it. All the original, stock files can be unpacked from the WebOS Doctor that you can download from Palm's website, but I'm attaching the original text-edit-autoreplace file that you need. It wouldn't let me attach a file with no extension, so I had to add a .txt to the end of it. When you download it, just rename the file, and remove the .txt from the end. If you can't see the extension, you need to go the folder options (in XP, that's in the Tools menu) and in the view tab, turn off "hide extensions for known file types". In the instructions that I typed up earlier in this thread, start with step 6 to send the original file to your Pre.

    Good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files
  15. #555  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I'm attaching the original text-edit-autoreplace file that you need. It wouldn't let me attach a file with no extension, so I had to add a .txt to the end of it. When you download it, just rename the file, and remove the .txt from the end. If you can't see the extension, you need to go the folder options (in XP, that's in the Tools menu) and in the view tab, turn off "hide extensions for known file types". In the instructions that I typed up earlier in this thread, start with step 6 to send the original file to your Pre.

    Good luck!
    Thanks!! Everything looks good now. Tell you what those Google Autoreplace words are enough to drive somebody crazy. They work on Google because Google uses intelligent algorithms that detect context clues, throwing in the top 3,000 words to just swap out all the time DOESN'T work.

    I purchased ACE and just got it installed with my fresh dictionary. Thanks for everything, definitely satisfied with my purchase!

    Kudos to great homebrew developers!!
  16. #556  
    So I just installed the app to my phone & I figured $5 for this app to be able to change words to my liking? Cool, so I donated & everything. I launch the app and it opens fine. I make my edits & I see I have to "activate" them. So I click to activate them, then I click ok & nothing happens. Nothing restarts, nothing closes, it just sits there. So I figured, okay I'll do a Luna Reset... Nothing. Finally I figure, maybe it was a hard reset. So I completely shut down & power up my phone. Still didn't work. So now I'm wondering if I did something wrong. I'm running webOS 1.3.5.1 so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Can someone tell me what I should do? Thanks!!
  17. #557  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    So I just installed the app to my phone & I figured $5 for this app to be able to change words to my liking? Cool, so I donated & everything. I launch the app and it opens fine. I make my edits & I see I have to "activate" them. So I click to activate them, then I click ok & nothing happens. Nothing restarts, nothing closes, it just sits there. So I figured, okay I'll do a Luna Reset... Nothing. Finally I figure, maybe it was a hard reset. So I completely shut down & power up my phone. Still didn't work. So now I'm wondering if I did something wrong. I'm running webOS 1.3.5.1 so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Can someone tell me what I should do? Thanks!!
    Are you still running the demo version or did you receive an e-mail from Rick with download instructions for the paid version? You should be able to tell because when you run the app, if it's the demo version, the title at the top will say AutoCorrect Edit Demo. If you're still using the demo version, then that's likely your problem. As Rick said in this post, his demo ipk is having problems with the latest update. Since you say you've paid, if you haven't received an e-mail from Rick, you might want to check your spam filter and then e-mail him directly. If you did receive an e-mail, I would uninstall the demo version before following his instructions. I know I had exactly the issues that you're describing until I uninstalled the demo and reinstalled my paid version. Make sure you use WebOS Quick Install to uninstall the demo. As stated in the first post in this thread: "Using the on-device Pre interface (orange key + app click or (Software) Preferences App) for uninstallation will leave latent custom service files behind which may affect installation of the registered version in the future." Hell, even if it says you're using the paid version, you might try uninstalling with WOSQI anyway and then reinstalling, especially if you ever used the orange key+tap to delete a prior version of ACE.

    Let us know how it goes. Trust me, once you get it working, it's life changing. Check out this thread for many shortcuts you may never have thought of. Some of the shortcuts drop a two letter word to a single letter, which may seem kind of silly, but when you text or e-mail a lot, every letter that you don't have to type adds up to the ability to type that much faster. I copied pretty much the entire list, minus a couple of things I'll never use, and I add new shortcuts almost daily.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 01/29/2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Added WOSQI caveat
  18. #558  
    So do you actually need AutoCorrect Edit?
  19.    #559  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    So I just installed the app to my phone & I figured $5 for this app to be able to change words to my liking? Cool, so I donated & everything. I launch the app and it opens fine. I make my edits & I see I have to "activate" them. So I click to activate them, then I click ok & nothing happens. Nothing restarts, nothing closes, it just sits there. So I figured, okay I'll do a Luna Reset... Nothing. Finally I figure, maybe it was a hard reset. So I completely shut down & power up my phone. Still didn't work. So now I'm wondering if I did something wrong. I'm running webOS 1.3.5.1 so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Can someone tell me what I should do? Thanks!!
    Hey Prince Basil, if you click on ok when it asks if it's ok to restart and it doesn't restart, then there's an installation issue. If that isn't working, it won't save the entries to your dictionary file either.

    Did you email me that you were having issues? So far, I believe I resolved any issues that registered users were having. Please respond back to the email I sent to your PayPal account.

    Shadowcat is right in that your app should no longer show Demo at the top of the screen if you have the registered version installed. Also, if you go to the "About AutoCorrect Edit" menu, the pop-up should show your name in it.
  20. #560  
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskooler81 View Post
    So do you actually need AutoCorrect Edit?
    I suppose you don't need AutoCorrect Edit - you can certainly make changes to your autoreplace file without it - but without ACE, you'll need to connect your Pre to a computer in order to make those changes. ACE makes the whole process so much more convenient and easy, not to mention being able to make changes on the fly whenever you run across something you want to shortcut. Or delete a shortcut that bugs the crap out of you. Personally, that's something I'm willing to pay $5 for. But then again, I tried out the demo for 5 days before buying. When my time ran out on the demo, I realized how quickly I had come to rely on my shortcuts. $5 seemed a small price to pay to get them back. If Rick's got the issues with the demo version worked out, you should definitely try it out and see for yourself.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions