Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    is there a limit to the amount of characters and spaces that can be used for a "shortcut?

Well worth the money if its anything like want i used on my BB

Already purchased awaiting #IPK

** And too the negative posters if you don't want to buy it , don't, nobody is forcing you too? and why post that your not buying it are you bored?
    Thanks for your purchase.

I just looked into the shortcut limit and found that there is a 99 character limit. This limit is currently imposed by the HTML GUI. I may be able to get around that, but the OS is imposing a 123 character limit. I manually created a very long string as the replacement text and found that the Pre only auto-replaced the first 123 characters of it.

I'll note down the request to increase the 99 character limit to at least support the 123 character limit in my future enhancements section. Thanks for the suggestion.

The ipks for all registered users should be ready by the morning.
  2.    #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    OK, I might be interested if I knew what in the heck was up. I'm not reading 17 pages trying to find the post that talks about how to get a non demo version. Update the first post with information on how to purchase the app, and maybe I will.
    The first post has a PayPal button with the text "Buy Now" under the section called Purchase:. Click the "Buy Now" button and you'll be sent to PayPal for payment authorization. A registered version is not available for download.

The first post also has instructions on how to use the app, but there are instructions directly on the app screen as well. See the first post for a screenshot of the app.
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    I want to change "?!" and "!?" into "‽", but I can't.
    Yeah, you won't be able to use ? or ! in the shortcut word. There are certain "illegal" characters that are restricted. They are restricted because the WebOS uses them to determine a word delimiter (the beginning/end of the word). The auto-replace function is executed upon typing a delimiter button in a text field. Since a ? and ! are delimiter characters, they can't be used.

I'll try to explain using an example.

Shortcut word: cul
    Replacement Phrase: see you later

When I type the characters: cul[space]
    The space button executes the replacement and the text turns into: see you later[space character after the word later]

When I type the characters: cul!
    The ! button executes the replacement and the text turns into: see you later!

When I type the characters: cul?
    The ? button executes the replacement and the text turns into: see you later?

The space, !, and ? characters are the delimiters that execute the auto-replace functionality, so they can't be used in the shortcut word.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Doh. I hadn't noticed this app was out there until this update. I got very excited at replacing my email address with a shortcut as I read the description. But sadly I can't think of nearly enough shortcuts to justify $5. I am curious what others use it for that make it worth $5. Maybe there are things I am not thinking of that would justify it.
    I use it mainly for shortcuts: w-with; wo-without;t-the; hv-have; hvn-haven't ;cm-call me;ily-I Love you!; gm-Good Morning; lm-Let's meet; rn-Running late be there in 10; min-minutes;2moro-tomorrow; cid-consider it done; omw-On my way . I use over 100 of those. To get a jump start on those you can look up text phases or acronyms in Google.

Aside from that, it's also used for misspelled words or typo. Especially if you notice you have a habit of hitting e instead of the w on your Pre.
    I found it by reading through the thread, but the cost of the app should be listed in the first post - there is only a buy now button - i would think we want to know how much it cost before clicking "Buy Now" - thanks
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
  6.    #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post
    I found it by reading through the thread, but the cost of the app should be listed in the first post - there is only a buy now button - i would think we want to know how much it cost before clicking "Buy Now" - thanks
    Excellent point. Updated. Thanks for your feedback. I'll update the PreCentral Homebrew App Gallery listing too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I use it mainly for shortcuts: w-with; wo-without;t-the; hv-have; hvn-haven't ;cm-call me;ily-I Love you!; gm-Good Morning; lm-Let's meet; rn-Running late be there in 10; min-minutes;2moro-tomorrow; cid-consider it done; omw-On my way . I use over 100 of those. To get a jump start on those you can look up text phases or acronyms in Google.

Aside from that, it's also used for misspelled words or typo. Especially if you notice you have a habit of hitting e instead of the w on your Pre.
    I see. Hmm, I'll have to keep this in mind as I type on the Pre and see if there are many phrases that would be useful to shorten, enough to make it worth $5. I know my tween cousins could certainly use this functionality. They leave out so many letters when typing I can barely understand a word they say. I wish it were $2, I'd pay that just for the email shortcut, but I have some mental block about $5, that is a footlong after all .
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    Excellent point. Updated. Thanks for your feedback. I'll update the PreCentral Homebrew App Gallery listing too.
    You are so incredibly patient. The poster already knew the price. They even mentioned it in their original post that I answered.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    You are so incredibly patient. The poster already knew the price. They even mentioned it in their original post that I answered.
    I only knew the price because I read through pages of replies on this thread. You have never replied to any post I made as that was my very first post, asking for the cost to be included on page 1 ... i think you are maybe mixing up post/people
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
  10.    #350  
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    I entered two new enteries, change "Pre" to "PrPrPr&#$275$;&$quot$; $and$ &$quot$;$tlh$&$quot$; $to$ &$quot$;&#$63716$;&$quot$;.
    Neither of them worked. Am I doing something wrong? There's only two fields to fill, right?
    (And yes, my PrPrPr&#$275$; *$can$* $display$ $that$ $character$ $that$ $you$'$re$ $not$ $able$ $to$ $display$.)
    I can't tell what you're trying to use the tlh shortcut for (the browser is garbling up the character), but for Pre to PrPrPr&#$275$;, $its$ $working$ $for$ $me$.

Nice shortcut suggestion, btw.
    Anybody having problems installing the new registered version?
    Last edited by TreoRock; 10/14/2009 at 09:55 AM.
    Yes. I emailed the developer. Seems to install, but does not appear in Launcher.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I created a shortcut for a password. However, when i try to use it in the password field, it doesn't work. Is this a bug, an unimplemented field, or a limitation?
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaS27 View Post
    First off i thought it was illegal to sell outside of the app store?

Also why would someone buy an app that needs to be used at there own risk? Shouldn't it be donations? No offense...just pointing it out.
    This was my understanding as well. Under the SDK license, I believe you can distribute homebrew apps for free (under the current "loophole" for test, but in December via the officially allowed Palm distribution method), but if you're going to charge you *have* to go through the Palm App Catalog. You can say what you like about whether Palm should be doing this or not, but those are the rules at the current time as I (and others apparently) understand them.

Why should we care? Well, when Palm sends the developer a cease & desist letter and we lose the app (at least any updates) and our $5, we'll probably care. I'm interested in the app, but I won't be buying it until this is straightened out.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I also find that the shortcut is not working in the address line of gmail. Is it b/c I am starting the shortcut with the @ symbol?
    Quote Originally Posted by peng1can View Post
    ...but if you're going to charge you *have* to go through the Palm App Catalog.
    Unfortunately Palm wouldn't admit this app into the App Catalog, nor would Palm admit the majority of mine. Palm app catalog dopesn't support custom services, and likely probably never will (could pose a huge security risk, especially if Palm is attempting to take a less hand-on roll in app admission than Apple).

Advanced homebrew, as many now call it, use custom services. Apps like AutoCorrectEdit, Preware, and Internalz are all such examples. Palm themselves has allowed third party partners to also include custom services; Amazon MP3 and Sprint Navigation wouldn't work without their custom services.

This put us non-partnered, average devs in a very difficult situations: some of us have high quality, very functional apps. That high level of functionality is the same reason why we wouldn't get admitted into the App Catalog.

Advanced homebrew devs still want to distribute their apps, and PreCentral has filled that need, but what if a dev actually wants to get money returned for hard work? Donations don't usually work, and forced donations (donationware) are simply mislabeling the truth of the situation, and creating subconscious goodwill for something that in reality is paid software and should be treated as such.

It's a very difficult situation unfortunately. Personally I hope Palm doesn't send any cease&desist, or alternatively creates some venue for advanced homebrew devs to sell their stuff.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peng1can View Post
    This was my understanding as well. Under the SDK license, I believe you can distribute homebrew apps for free (under the current "loophole" for test, but in December via the officially allowed Palm distribution method), but if you're going to charge you *have* to go through the Palm App Catalog. You can say what you like about whether Palm should be doing this or not, but those are the rules at the current time as I (and others apparently) understand them.
    I was under the impression based on the email I as a registered developer got, that they were changing it and developers could distribute it through any means they wanted including their own online store.

This quoted from one of the emails.
    Promote your free or paid applications on the web for distribution to webOS devices. Apps require self-certification according to Palm’s guidelines but are available to promote freely in any online channel with a unique URL without Palm application review. You can also provide access to other relevant content about your app, including descriptions and reviews. Applications will be distributed to any webOS device using our over-the-air service.
    To enjoy the full capabilities of our program, you can self-certify that your app meets the Palm User Interface Guidelines and Palm Application Content Criteria and receive a unique URL to start promoting the app online within hours. You can use this URL in any of your existing online marketing assets, and you can begin selling these applications immediately, without review by Palm. With this URL, you can create or use existing marketing channels such as your email list, blog, SEOSEOSEO, $and$ $more$. $These$ $links$ $will$ $provide$ $the$ $ability$ $for$ $users$ $to$ $authenticate$ $and$ $instantly$ $receive$ $applications$ $directly$ $to$ $their$ $devices$ $using$ $Palm$$s$ $over$-$the$-$air$ $distribution$ $mechanism$.
    To me this means that developers can sell their applications outside of the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I was under the impression based on the email I as a registered developer got, that they were changing it and developers could distribute it through any means they wanted including their own online store.

To me this means that developers can sell their applications outside of the store.
    That does make sense, though the advanced homebrew app still needs to get accepted by Palm for the dev to get the app link. As I mentioned above, the word I've heard from multiple sources is to not expect to see that anytime time soon.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    That does make sense, though the advanced homebrew app still needs to get accepted by Palm for the dev to get the app link. As I mentioned above, the word I've heard from multiple sources is to not expect to see that anytime time soon.
    someone needs to try. This is a self-certify thing that is rather automated with no human over-site.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I create a poll /thread over in the webos development forum.
    The comments above are all still about what Palm *intends* to do though, correct? As of *today*, it's a violation of the license to sell software outside of the App Catalog. Also, once palm does change the rules, there are hoops you are going to have to jump through. Right before the bolded section in post #357, it says that you must self-certify that you meet the UI & Content Guidelines.

So, as I understand it:
    - NOW, you can distribute what you want, how you want as long as it's labeled as a beta test app.
    - NOW, you can reasonably accept donations to further your work on a popular app.
    - NOW, you CANNOT sell an app outside of the App Catalog.
    - In December, you can do all of the above, plus if you tell Palm that your app meets all of the guidelines for the user interface and content, then you can receive a link that allows you to distribute the app for free or for sale.

It seems unlikely that Palm will officially bless anyone truly selling an app that is side-loaded at any point. Not trying to be a jerk, but especially on a highly-visible site like PreCentral, I think it's important that everyone play by the rules, even as we work to get Palm to change them. If we don't, then we run the risk of drawing ire from Palm's legal dept. and hurting the entire homebrew scene. And really, if you're using the SDK to do any of this development, then you've agreed to play by their rules.