Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay, I've been thinking it and now I'm going to say it. It's totally selfish, but I'm so glad that I got this app in before it was taken down.

I know Rick and everyone will do a marvelous job on getting it back to us, but in the meantime, this app rocks and I'm glad I don't have to do without it.
    Sfh ind.(would read: selfish indeed), if I had Autocorrect Edit. Bt I dnt, so I jst look lk a jckas tt cnt spell.
    Okay, I've been thinking it and now I'm going to say it. It's totally selfish, but I'm so glad that I got this app in before it was taken down.
    Thanks for letting us know that you rock! while we suck because we don't have it yet.
    Originally posted by Originally Posted by rhong:
    Alternatively, if you have a ton to add, modify the AutoCorrectEdit/text-edit-autoreplace file when plugging in your Pre in USB Drive mode. Make sure you follow the proper formatting...
    [single-word shortcut]|[replacement word or phrase]
    The single word shortcut cannot have spaces, commas, periods, or other special characters, like: ;:/()?!\
    The replacement word or phrase can have spaces, commas, periods and the special characters.
    Put the pipe (|) character (shift \ key above the enter key on a standard keyboard) as the delimiter between the shortcut and replacement.
    Question? After you put in the replacement word, what do before you enter the next short cut (i.e. press enter, space, etc)?
    enter, just like they are in the file, line by line.

rhong, am I missing the removal instructions?
    Originally posted by hmagoo

enter, just like they are in the file, line by line.
    Thanks hmagoo. There's was a new folder called personal entries and I tried to enter them there by mistake.
  6.    #226  
    Thanks hmagoo. There's was a new folder called personal entries and I tried to enter them there by mistake.
    The Personal Entries folder and the file within will be used in the future. It saves entries made through the AutoCorrect Edit application.

This will be useful in the future when you load in your own dictionary (once that feature is implemented) and then you want to apply your own additions on top of the dictionary. It is also useful for when Palm updates the OS on the phone and overwrites the autoreplace dictionary.

For now, we can just restore from backup to get our entries back, but this feature (once implemented) will allow us to keep all of Palm's additions as well as our own.

Note that if you add many entries to the autoreplace file in the AutoCorrectEdit folder (on the USB drive) and don't add them to the personal entries file as well, the app won't be able to restore those manually added entries.
  7.    #227  
    Any AutCorrect Edit users out there running the leaked 1.2 WebOS out there?
    Hey rhong...so ur gonna email us when the ipkg is ready right?
  9.    #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    Hey rhong...so ur gonna email us when the ipkg is ready right?
    I'll email you and others who have purchased. As for others reading this, I'll post here. I can email them too if people want to PM me their email address. It isn't ready today. Developers need a labor day off too.
    Superstardjal & TreoRock: you guys are too funny. It looks like Rick will have the ipk ready for others soon; but until then, it's all about me (ha, ha).

For anyone using the usb method for text entry, can you tell me what you're using (notepad, wordpad, notepad++, etc) and how you're getting the changes to activate?

I don't have a need to enter a lot of words, but I'd still like to figure out this new option.
  11.    #231  
    Superstardjal & TreoRock: you guys are too funny. It looks like Rick will have the ipk ready for others soon; but until then, it's all about me (ha, ha).

For anyone using the usb method for text entry, can you tell me what you're using (notepad, wordpad, notepad++, etc) and how you're getting the changes to activate?

I don't have a need to enter a lot of words, but I'd still like to figure out this new option.
    On the PC, if you use a program called TextPad, the files display one entry per line, so you can just press Enter to separate each entry. The same goes for WordPad on the PC (Start->All Programs->Accessories->WordPad).

If you us TextPad on the PC, there's a binary character (that shows up as a rectangle) between each entry. You can copy and paste this character to separate out entries (or just use WordPad).

I'll post separately when I check it out on the Mac.

In a future app update, I can create a menu item entry to convert the file to use DOS line-endings / Unix line-endings so that it's happy on both platforms.
    Originally posted by Rhong:
    . . .On the PC, if you use a program called TextPad, the files display one entry per line, so you can just press Enter to separate each entry. The same goes for WordPad on the PC (Start->All Programs->Accessories->WordPad).

If you us TextPad on the PC, there's a binary character (that shows up as a rectangle) between each entry. You can copy and paste this character to separate out entries (or just use WordPad). . .
    Okay, I fire up my wordpad and add new Short cuts, via usb to text-edit-autoreplace. The I add them to the text file in mystuff. Save both files and then reboot my Pre.

I've tried opening AutoCorrectEdit and clicking add entries, I've tried rebooting, I've tried clicking backup and then rebooting. I seem to be missing a step, because the entries aren't taking unless I add them via the app.
  13.    #233  
    Okay, I fire up my wordpad and add new Short cuts, via usb to text-edit-autoreplace. The I add them to the text file in mystuff. Save both files and then reboot my Pre.

I've tried opening AutoCorrectEdit and clicking add entries, I've tried rebooting, I've tried clicking backup and then rebooting. I seem to be missing a step, because the entries aren't taking unless I add them via the app.
    bdhu2001, I know what's going on. I'm contacting you and other registered users to get this fixed. It's only occurring in the registered users distribution. Thanks for being persistent regarding this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    bdhu2001, I know what's going on. I'm contacting you and other registered users to get this fixed. It's only occurring in the registered users distribution. Thanks for being persistent regarding this.
    Cool. Thanks so much for working me through it. I love the app as is, but I always one to try out the new stuff you add.
    Thanks for the patch Rick. The best Pre app just got sweeter. That's right, usb word entry for us newbies. I love this app!!!
    i really wanna use this soooo bad
    how do we remove the initial app as it was installed via your original post, which has been deleted.
    Hey rhong...when ru gonna be done with the ipk that will work via webOS quick install or preware?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    I know of one bug to fix. I'll see if my beta testers find it. There are plenty of enhancements that can still be made. I have yet to make an ipk, but can distribute via other means until then.
    If you are willing to send me a copy, I am happy to use it and give you feedback. That said, I'm a tek-dolt and am not even sure what it means to root it (install via webos quick install in developer mode?). So I'm also fine waiting till it's ready for wider distribution.
    The Device Management tool in WebOS Quick Install shows that I have version 0.0.2 of ACE Installer on my phone, and "About AutoCorrect Edit" on the Pre shows version 1.0.0. At this point, I don't remember how I installed these versions (I think it was through Quick Install). In any case, do I need to uninstall these to plug the security hole mentioned earlier? I got rid of command-line access on my phone in favor of Preware and Quick Install, so I'm not sure how I'd do it if I need to ssh in.