Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
  1.    #201  
    Quote Originally Posted by rhong View Post
    Gonna work on the ipk installation before I add any more functionality updates.

First things first though, I gotta set up the purchase link. Otherwise it will expire and people won't be able to make mods to their dictionaries through the app (or USB drive).
    Ok, purchase link is up for those who are interested in registering their demo.
    Is it in Preware now?
    ru gonna submit this as soon as u finish the ipk file so i can install thru Preware and if not then dont worry when i get home ill install it via quick install

EDIT: by the way how does this work exactly....ive installed the app but has never worked for me....so when u open the app u add/modify what u want it to do (e.g) fyi= for your information....do u have to reboot everytime u add things so it adds it to the library or w.e?
  4.    #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    ru gonna submit this as soon as u finish the ipk file so i can install thru Preware and if not then dont worry when i get home ill install it via quick install

EDIT: by the way how does this work exactly....ive installed the app but has never worked for me....so when u open the app u add/modify what u want it to do (e.g) fyi= for your information....do u have to reboot everytime u add things so it adds it to the library or w.e?
    Hi maxima2k53, thanks for your purchase. I'm going to have to see how I will handle the registered ipk installs. I'll work with you on installation issues via email if you run into trouble. Then we can post what we learned here, so as to not clutter up this thread. Looks like most people haven't had installation issues (except with the currently unsupported ipk install).

You open the app, make modifications (by modifying / deleting / adding entries) to the autocorrect dictionary, then choose the "Activate Changes" menu to do a ~45 second reboot (Note: Rebooting quits all applications. Some save data, some don't.)

Once your Pre returns from the reboot, you should be able to write emails and notes, and use the shortcuts/corrections you just added to the dictionary. A shortcut, for example, is setting up "eml" to be corrected to "email" so that when typing "eml<space>", it replaces it with "email<space>".

You can add as many entries as you want, then reboot. All added/modified/deleted entries become active after the reboot.

Alternatively, if you have a ton to add, modify the AutoCorrectEdit/text-edit-autoreplace file when plugging in your Pre in USB Drive mode. Make sure you follow the proper formatting...
    [single-word shortcut]|[replacement word or phrase]
    The single word shortcut cannot have spaces, commas, periods, or other special characters, like: ;:/()?!\
    The replacement word or phrase can have spaces, commas, periods and the special characters.
    Put the pipe (|) character (shift \ key above the enter key on a standard keyboard) as the delimiter between the shortcut and replacement.
    Hi maxima2k53, thanks for your purchase. I'm going to have to see how I will handle the registered ipk installs. I'll work with you on installation issues via email if you run into trouble. Then we can post what we learned here, so as to not clutter up this thread. Looks like most people haven't had installation issues (except with the currently unsupported ipk install).

You open the app, make modifications (by modifying / deleting / adding entries) to the autocorrect dictionary, then choose the "Activate Changes" menu to do a ~45 second reboot (Note: Rebooting quits all applications. Some save data, some don't.)

Once your Pre returns from the reboot, you should be able to write emails and notes, and use the shortcuts/corrections you just added to the dictionary. A shortcut, for example, is setting up "eml" to be corrected to "email" so that when typing "eml<space>", it replaces it with "email<space>".

You can add as many entries as you want, then reboot. All added/modified/deleted entries become active after the reboot.

Alternatively, if you have a ton to add, modify the AutoCorrectEdit/text-edit-autoreplace file when plugging in your Pre in USB Drive mode. Make sure you follow the proper formatting...
    [single-word shortcut]|[replacement word or phrase]
    The single word shortcut cannot have spaces, commas, periods, or other special characters, like: ;:/()?!\
    The replacement word or phrase can have spaces, commas, periods and the special characters.
    Put the pipe (|) character (shift \ key above the enter key on a standard keyboard) as the delimiter between the shortcut and replacement.
    thank you so much for ur reply...will you let me know through here when the ipk file is ready or by email?
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    thank you so much for ur reply...will you let me know through here when the ipk file is ready or by email?
    I'll inform folks here when the ipk install is ready. I'll contact you by email, and perhaps a few other users by email too to help test the ipk install.
  7.    #207  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Is it in Preware now?
    Sorry TreoRock, not on Preware yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_moist View Post
    I guess this won't apply now that it seems an ipkg is out for this but I've used this app and it is wonderful for adding words on the go but if I'm in the need of adding a lot of words, I've just been navigating to /etc/palm//etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/ and copying the text-edit-autoreplace to /media/internal and then unplugging and replugging the USB cable in, selecting "USB Drive" and editing the file in Wordpad, saving it, and then copying it back to /etc/palm//etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/. Still need to reboot though which sucks.
    How are you accessing this folder? When I plug in as Just Charge, it does not let me access the drive. When I plug in as USB, that folder structure is not there.... Sorry for the non-programmer question.
  9.    #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by long_tall_texan View Post
    How are you accessing this folder? When I plug in as Just Charge, it does not let me access the drive. When I plug in as USB, that folder structure is not there.... Sorry for the non-programmer question.
    No need to be overly technical in the thread, this is the support thread after all. Do you have AutoCorrect Edit 1.0.5 installed? If so, at installation time, this folder would have been created. See the first post in this thread for installation instructions.
  10.    #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by long_tall_texan View Post
    Sorry, I think you're talking about the /etc/palm/autoreplace/en_us/ directory that mr_moist referenced. It's only accessible in unix, after you root into the device. Installing AutoCorrect Edit 1.0.5 gives you access via the USB drive in the AutoCorrectEdit directory.
    So in order to install, from root@castle, via terminal, & wired connection, all we do is copy and paste that one line in the first box on post 1? the one that starts with "wget"? The whole line? Regardless how were accesing root?

Then if wewant to purchase, is there additional steps? I was waiting on ipk, but I'm tired of waiting, I want this so much. Thanks for any info. Yes , I've read the thread, just want to make absolutely sure I understand.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    is it possible to have double space insert a period followed by a space like a blackberry? that one autocorrect would save a load of time.
    I can't wait for the Preware version of autocorrect. My Treo used to have something like this and I loved it.
    I've just noticed that this application use the deprecated proof-of-concept org.webosinternals.services command line access service, which is a *HUGE* security vulnerability (which is why it was quickly withdrawn from distribution, and has now been completely removed from the history of the git repository, which will intentionally break the installation instructions on the first page of this thread).

Using this deprecated, removed-from-distribution, service opens up your Pre to the very real possibility of a rogue webOS application accessing any information that is stored anywhere on your Pre (e.g. your online bank account username and password) and sending that information to someone who wants to steal your identity and all your money.

Anyone who has installed this application using the instructions in the first post of this thread must do the following to be safe:

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    ipkg remove org.webosinternals.services
    reboot
    The author of this application needs to write a custom service which *only* does the minimum required to support this application, rather than using a deprecated, removed-from-distribution, unrestricted command line service which opens up your Pre to attack from hackers.

I'm happy to work with the author to achieve this if they so desire.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I've just noticed that this application use the deprecated proof-of-concept org.webosinternals.services command line access service, which is a *HUGE* security vulnerability (which is why it was quickly withdrawn from distribution, and has now been completely removed from the history of the git repository, which will intentionally break the installation instructions on the first page of this thread).

Using this deprecated, removed-from-distribution, service opens up your Pre to the very real possibility of a rogue webOS application accessing any information that is stored anywhere on your Pre (e.g. your online bank account username and password) and sending that information to someone who wants to steal your identity and all your money.

Anyone who has installed this application using the instructions in the first post of this thread must do the following to be safe:

Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    ipkg remove org.webosinternals.services
    reboot
    The author of this application needs to write a custom service which *only* does the minimum required to support this application, rather than using a deprecated, removed-from-distribution, unrestricted command line service which opens up your Pre to attack from hackers.

I'm happy to work with the author to achieve this if they so desire.

-- Rod
    I to contacted rhong about the service privately. He is indeed a nice guy so I am sure when he gets a chance he will find a way to creat his own service.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    I to contacted rhong about the service privately. He is indeed a nice guy so I am sure when he gets a chance he will find a way to creat his own service.
    Indeed, there has been no malicious use of this service by any existing homebrew author on this site, and I certainly did not intend to imply that rhong was doing anything malicious. My assumption is that he copied that weird git-history URL from one of the other applications that fell into the same trap, without knowing the implications of doing so.

However, to ensure that users are aware of the security status of their Pre, the issue needs to be made public.

Update: rhong has contacted me in private, and I've offered to help him create a custom service that does not have any known security problems.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 09/03/2009 at 07:29 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17.    #217  
    Wow, I was all caught up on this thread, my wife comes out from foot surgery, and I'm behind again. (Everything went well with her surgery, btw, and she will be recovering in the next few weeks. Bone surgery takes time to heal. In the meantime, the 3 kids are all mine to care for, hehe.)

Thanks rwhitby and jack87 for your support and offering me your help and services. This is the reason I love this PreCentral community and use it for the distribution of my app. I do indeed use the deprecated webosinternals services for modification of the autoreplace file. This was the only method I knew of for modification of the autoreplace file. I have received several offers for help in making a custom service for this app, and am working on this right now. Like I mentioned a week ago when releasing the 1.0.5 demo, Jason Robitaille was kind enough to assist me with the service and I'm already in progress with this and the ipk.

With the removal of the webosinternals service, AutoCorrect Edit will not function, so I'll have to stop distributing this at this time. I'll remove the installation instructions until the service and ipk are ready.

I'd like to publicly state that I do not use the service in any malicious way whatsoever, and do understand and agree that its use is not secure and could be exploited for malicious purposes.

Looks like the next version of AutoCorrect Edit will be using a service, and, most likely, an ipk. I'll post my progress here. Thanks, as always, for everyone's support.
    Wow, I was all caught up on this thread, my wife comes out from foot surgery, and I'm behind again. (Everything went well with her surgery, btw, and she will be recovering in the next few weeks. Bone surgery takes time to heal. In the meantime, the 3 kids are all mine to care for, hehe.)

Thanks rwhitby and jack87 for your support and offering me your help and services. This is the reason I love this PreCentral community and use it for the distribution of my app. I do indeed use the deprecated webosinternals services for modification of the autoreplace file. This was the only method I knew of for modification of the autoreplace file. I have received several offers for help in making a custom service for this app, and am working on this right now. Like I mentioned a week ago when releasing the 1.0.5 demo, Jason Robitaille was kind enough to assist me with the service and I'm already in progress with this and the ipk.

With the removal of the webosinternals service, AutoCorrect Edit will not function, so I'll have to stop distributing this at this time. I'll remove the installation instructions until the service and ipk are ready.

I'd like to publicly state that I do not use the service in any malicious way whatsoever, and do understand and agree that its use is not secure and could be exploited for malicious purposes.

Looks like the next version of AutoCorrect Edit will be using a service, and, most likely, an ipk. I'll post my progress here. Thanks, as always, for everyone's support.
    i cant w8 to use ur program!
    After removing org.webosinternals.services, will anyother homebrew's not work? I'd imagine that no other homebrew's would be affected as that would pose a similar threat, correct?

Edit: and how can we back up our 'word list' before removing the app completely?
    Okay, I've been thinking it and now I'm going to say it. It's totally selfish, but I'm so glad that I got this app in before it was taken down.

I know Rick and everyone will do a marvelous job on getting it back to us, but in the meantime, this app rocks and I'm glad I don't have to do without it.