Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    This is a sweet app! Good Job!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Great app, however I seem to have an intermitent issue. Upon clicking the app button, it often takes quite awhile for the map to load. If I minimize it, it seems to load faster but when I maximize it, it goes back to loading. If I'm on wireless it appears to load quicker but I could be imagining things. Would this be mainly because of internet speed or could this be an application issue
    Hi, Thanks very much... In my new state of residence I am not privy to the consistently beautiful weather I enjoyed before, so this is much appreciated.

Quick question: I can only seem to see the entire US. How do I see my specific region or area? (I didnt see any controls on the app).

Also, is there any chance of integrating NOAA's site feauters of local predictions for this app? NOAA is fantastic and isn't commercial from what I gather.

This is the NOAA local search site:
    NOAA's National Weather Service

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Very cool! I'll be installing this today!
    adsllc,

Will you be posting this to the new Homebrew-apps?

-Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    adsllc,

-Craig
    +1 Would love to see this up there. Would lead to more exposure plus makes it easier to see if you have updated.

Thanks for your hard work!

Chris
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    I am also here to ask if this is going to be added to the FileCoaster list.

It would simply make it easier to track updates, and install the new versions as they come available.

This is a great app, I can't tell you how many times I've been stuck driving in a storm and wanted an animated radar to see how fast it was moving.

Thanks!

PS: Having Weather Underground support would be awesome!
    Have you talked to them about it?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymook View Post
    Great app, however I seem to have an intermitent issue. Upon clicking the app button, it often takes quite awhile for the map to load. If I minimize it, it seems to load faster but when I maximize it, it goes back to loading. If I'm on wireless it appears to load quicker but I could be imagining things. Would this be mainly because of internet speed or could this be an application issue
    The short answer is that it's a big image and takes a while to load if you don't have a really good signal. Minimize/maximizing should make no difference. Just be patient.

I believe there may be a timing issue causing some visual confusion. Here's how the code works:

On startup it displays the spinner right away.
    It begins loading the animated image and uses the "onload" hook to hide the spinner once the animation has loaded.
    Once the animated image has loaded, it loads the still version of the image. The still image displays if there is no activity for a minute or the app is minimized to save battery.

I believe things can get a little confusing if the animated image takes more than a minute to load. The activity timer expires and tries to display the still image, but that hasn't loaded yet either. I have this on my list of things to look into, but since it ultimately works fine if you're patient I haven't gotten to it yet.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperpre View Post
    Quick question: I can only seem to see the entire US. How do I see my specific region or area? (I didnt see any controls on the app).

Also, is there any chance of integrating NOAA's site feauters of local predictions for this app? NOAA is fantastic and isn't commercial from what I gather.

This is the NOAA local search site:
    NOAA's National Weather Service

Thanks again!
    Hit the App Menu in the upper left for regional radars. I didn't want to use overlay controls since they would obscure the image.

NOAA forecast integration could happen, but AccuWeather's app does a decent job already. It would take a great deal of work matching what they have, and I'd rather put that work into completely new features.

Oh, and you're welcome!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenovic View Post
    I am also here to ask if this is going to be added to the FileCoaster list.

PS: Having Weather Underground support would be awesome!
    Have you talked to them about it?
    Addition to the FileCoaster list is pending, it just got missed somewhere along the way.

I have briefly looked at integrating wunderground's stuff (I'm a big fan of their site, by the way!). It looks like a lot of work to do it right, and I assume they may release their own app at some point. I'm also more focused on developing stuff that's completely new to webOS. It may happen at some point, but I'm aiming for bigger targets in the short term. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Any estimate of when individual NEXRADs will be an option (like KFFC for me)
    Thanks for the App. This will come in Handy. More than likely use it in the Backcountry activities..

Paul (Shou)
    A BAD DAY SKIING AND ROCK CLIMBING IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK
    Thanks for the great app, I use it every day.

I installed 0.0.2 several weeks ago via the rooting method. Now I want to update to 0.1.0. I see that WxRad is in fileCoaster now -- when I try to install it, it appears to install, but it doesn't actually overwrite the 0.0.2 version. I have tried rebooting and it didn't update.

Do I have to manually uninstall the 0.0.2 version via rooting first before I can use fileCoaster to install 0.1.0? If so can you provide instructions on how to uninstall?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tilted View Post
    Thanks for the great app, I use it every day.

I installed 0.0.2 several weeks ago via the rooting method. Now I want to update to 0.1.0. I see that WxRad is in fileCoaster now -- when I try to install it, it appears to install, but it doesn't actually overwrite the 0.0.2 version. I have tried rebooting and it didn't update.

Do I have to manually uninstall the 0.0.2 version via rooting first before I can use fileCoaster to install 0.1.0? If so can you provide instructions on how to uninstall?
    Generally, you shouldn't have to do anything special - there's nothing special about the package. That said, read on for some hints on how you can brute force it.

I would try removing it by holding down the orange button and tapping it. I would then make sure it was gone from /var/usr/palm/applications/com.adsllc.wxrad/ and /usr/palm/applications/com.adsllc.wxrad/ from a root shell. Then I would run "luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.applicationManager/rescan {}" to refresh the launcher.

After that I would expect FileCoaster to work. Let us know how it works out!
    hello I'm new to the site and need some help. I would like to download this app to my new palm pre but I really don't understand how to get it on my phone? can anyone help? thanks
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcool21 View Post
    hello I'm new to the site and need some help. I would like to download this app to my new palm pre but I really don't understand how to get it on my phone? can anyone help? thanks
    You need to install an installer first.

You probably want to install WebOS Quick Install on your PC first.
    Use that to install FileCoaster on your Pre.
    Then pick "WxRad" from the "Homebrew Apps" section in FileCoaster.

It's a pain at first, but pretty slick once it's all set up.
    Nic work. Is it possible to add location and zooming? That would make it more usable on a local level, Thank you
    LOVE this app! I echo what everyone has said so far....I use radar almost daily for work and the lack of an animated radar sucked. The NOAA radar you use is my perferred radar for my desktop. I'd really like the ability to narrow it down past the regional maps and get the radars by city along with the zoom feature. I'm not sure how much you can mirror compared to their site but anything additional would be great. MY FAVORITE APP!! Thanks
    Updated thread title to remove version information.

Version information is now maintained in the Homebrew Apps Gallery.

Also added a note in the opening post where to get future updates:

Download the latest version from the Hombrew Apps Gallery: WxRad.

- Craig
    A personal comment...

The free Accuweather app was offered as a part of the initial release of the Palm Pre.

A month later, a pilot wrote WxRad that provides key missing features.
    1. WxRad is FULL SCREEN RADAR.
    2. WxRad is ANIMATED RADAR.
    3. WxRad loads fast.

Now another month later, WxRad remains unchallenged as the only Weather Radar with these basic features.

Way to go, adsllc!

- Craig
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast