Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This post is old. Check this article out for the simplified version!

http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

All Credit goes to TheInvsbleMan from the Original thread found here (the first post is where you can find the referenced Steps 1&2):
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/ho...r-1-0-4-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvsbleMan View Post
    Got this working on Mac. Follow step 1&2 on the original instructions. But instead of downloading the Windows SDK download the Mac one. Do a Google search you will find it. After that follow these directions:

Step 3
    Download the App you want.

Open terminal (Applications>utilities>terminal
    type:

Code:
    palm-install
    put a space after palm install then drag and drop your .ipk onto terminal.

Should look like this:

Press enter and it should look like this:

I blanked out all the numbers in that image I wasn't sure if they were identifying in any way. (Not like Palm doesn't already know who I am haha)

That's it!
    Last edited by Darth Pooh; 08/09/2009 at 12:42 PM.
    Just an FYI, it's Mac.
  3.    #3  
    Fanboy

I did it in caps fo dramatic effect...
    Haha, nahh not a fanboy if I were I would be rocking an iPhone

Just being into technology Mac = an amazing computer
    whereas
    MAC = Media Access Control
  5.    #5  
    Ok ok ok... Ill change it. I liked you so much better when the Palm Police were after you
    All right. Good stuff. Lol Palm Police? I guess you could call them that.
    Wow that was super easy. Thanks

To recap, I installed Virtual box, I installed the SDK from palm, i enabled developer mode on the pre, plugged in the pre 'just charge' and then followed your palm-install drag/drop method.
  8.    #8  
    Find the old threads about Merlin... He will tell you all about them knocking on his door (literally) over a beta device from Craig's list...
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I went to Palm's site and downloaded the official OS X version of their SDK. Any idea why Palm recommends (has a link to) Virtual Box 2.2.4 when there is Virtual Box 3.0.2 available? Would running 3.0.2 cause any problems? Thanks!
  10.    #10  
    I am going to make an assumption that it has to do with when they first built the SDK a year or more back... The version of VBVBVB $was$ $the$ $one$ $available$.

In order to avoid conflict with a newer vm protocol, they just continued using the one they knew worked. I've used the latest on my MBP with no issues but they know how to support problems with 2.2.4.

All speculation... But sounds reasonable to me.
    Heres a way to automate this with... automator.

First run Automator. Then add "Run shell script" action.
    Change "Pass input" to "As Arguments"

Enter the following into the box where it has the default "cat" command:
    Code:
    /opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install -d usb "$*"
    Thats basically it for a Finder plugin. Go to the File menu, Save as Plugin, Write up a description. I used "Install to Palm Pre"

Then just control-click or right mouse click your .ipk files and select the automator plugin to install them. It should also work if you select more than one file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm so glad to see this.. I haven't been able to load up apps from my mac, had to use my PC to get the apps on, this is great.. Thanks again...

One question, if I wana remove an app, besides the Orange and Delete, how do you go about deleting it from root ? Thanks
    Last edited by Bigchris; 07/19/2009 at 12:36 AM.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchris View Post
    I'm so glad to see this.. I haven't been able to load up apps from my mac, had to use my PC to get the apps on, this is great.. Thanks again...

One question, if I wana remove an app, besides the Orange and Delete, how do you go about deleting it from root ? Thanks
    This is from: palm-install --help:
    Code:
    # Install package
    palm-install ~/projects/packages/com.example.app_1.0_all.ipk

# Remove application
    palm-install -r com.example.app

# List applications on default device
    palm-install -l

# List applications on usb-connected device
    palm-install -d usb -l

# List applications on emulator
    palm-install -d tcp -l
    When I drag and drop, the terminal says "permission denied". Any reason why?
    Hmmm are you running as an administrator? If not it may not allow you to run the palm-install command.

try

sudo palm-install

then drag and drop it... it will prompt for your password type it in and it should work.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    I went to Palm's site and downloaded the official OS X version of their SDK. Any idea why Palm recommends (has a link to) Virtual Box 2.2.4 when there is Virtual Box 3.0.2 available? Would running 3.0.2 cause any problems? Thanks!
    I've installed the OS X sdk on 2 computers, one with VBVBVB $2$.$2$.$4$ $then$ $upgraded$ $to$ $3$.$0$.$2$, $and$ $one$ $with$ $3$.$0$.$2$ $to$ $start$. $Both$ $worked$ $flawlessly$ $for$ $me$!

On another note, I've got a question for you mac sdk users: every time I plug my Pre into a USB port, the novacomd process proceeds to occupy 100% of one of my cores. I have to manually kill it every time. Does this happen for any of you? Any ideas on how to turn it off?
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I'm a new Mac convert. Can I tell you how awesome this is!! It's SO much easier than Windows, I LOVE it!
    -installed Vbox
    -installed mac SDK
    -plugged Pre in with 'just charge'
    -enabled dev mode
    -entered terminal:
    Code:
    bryan-harigs-macbook-pro:~ bryanharig$ palm-install /Users/bryanharig/Downloads/de.umass.translate_1.1_all.ipk 
    -bash: palm-install: command not found
    Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Remove the : after palm-install
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I was able to load a few Homebrews last night but it was at 1 am. So decided work was better and wanted to get home today and load the other ones I wanted.

Now it loads on the sdk and not on my phone.

When I close the sdk (because it was open last night) it tells me the device is not found. Any ideas?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast