Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mine says "Connection refused". Any clue as to why this might be happening?
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    I have installed VirtualBox and the Mac SDK, and I can open the virtual Pre on my computer. I can also put my Pre in developer mode. I plug my Pre into my computer via USB and put it in just charge. When I enter terminal and type "palm-install" then drag and drop the application and hit enter, it comes back with "palm-install: Connection refused"

I am lost... Please help.
    WOW that was toooooo easy man! Thanks
    Help! I've set everything up to where it should theoretically work, but for some reason the install is not working.

Code:
                       Sam$ palm-install /Users/Sam/Desktop/Palm\ Pre\ Applications/com.example.blackjack_0.2.21_all.ipk 
    connecting to device castle-linux (0FFF391A2DB0E4B9F74D2BEDAD1AAEED7AB6E8DE:usb:55635)
    copying /Users/Sam/Desktop/Palm Pre Applications/com.example.blackjack_0.2.21_all.ipk to /media/internal/developer/com.example.blackjack_0.2.21_all.ipk on device castle-linux (0FFF391A2DB0E4B9F74D2BEDAD1AAEED7AB6E8DE:usb:55635)
    palm-install: file open failed
    I've already successfully installed apps onto my pre, but for some reason now it won't let me install any more apps.

Anyone else having this problem?
    For those of you having "Connection refused" errors, its probably because novacom is not running.

Test if novacom is actually running:
    Code:
    sudo launchctl list | grep novacom
    You should get something like this
    Code:
    53	-	com.palm.novacomd
    If you do not get the above results check Permissions on the Novacom Daemon.
    Code:
    ls -l /Library/LaunchDaemons/
    If your permissions don't match these
    Code:
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  staff  394 Jul  8 13:42 com.palm.novacomd
    Run these commands to fix.
    Code:
    sudo chmod 644 /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.palm.novacomd

sudo /opt/nova/bin/post-install.sh
    You will see an error about "no matching processes". That is normal. Now you need to start novacom with this.

Code:
    sudo launchctl start com.palm.novacomd
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by bitshifter1001; 08/03/2009 at 09:27 AM. Reason: updating instructions
    I want to install homebrew. I have a MAC and I am not a techie. Does someone have the link to Pre SDK for MAC. I want to play like the rest of you. Thanks this forum rocks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mojomaster View Post
    I want to install homebrew. I have a MAC and I am not a techie. Does someone have the link to Pre SDK for MAC. I want to play like the rest of you. Thanks this forum rocks!
    Welcome to webOSdev - Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by bdgdl08 View Post
    I have installed VirtualBox and the Mac SDK, and I can open the virtual Pre on my computer. I can also put my Pre in developer mode. I plug my Pre into my computer via USB and put it in just charge. When I enter terminal and type "palm-install" then drag and drop the application and hit enter, it comes back with "palm-install: Connection refused"

I am lost... Please help.
    You are using palm-install -d usb, right? It's probably trying to connect to the emulator, which may or may not be running.

Everyone:

palm-install -d usb <filename>

Always use the -d usb option.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I have an iMac. 1GHz PowerPC G4. I cannot download Java 1.6 because it requires an Intel iMac. How can I go about getting the homebrew apps? Thanks
    novacom does not show up on my mac?
    Quote Originally Posted by kuckel5 View Post
    novacom does not show up on my mac?
    That's not a question. What kind of Mac do you have, and did you install the SDK and the other prerequisites?

Try novaterm instead.
    Last edited by panda6; 07/30/2009 at 11:33 PM.
    This is great, thanks for the guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    All Credit goes to TheInvsbleMan from the Original thread found here (the first post is where you can find the referenced Steps 1&2):
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/ho...r-1-0-4-a.html
    Help, I just switched to MAC. I have everything downloaded per instructions 1 and 2. How do I open up the terminal so that I can start copying and pasting away? Auugh I feel dumb
    It's in Applications/Utilities. Hit Command+Space and type 'terminal' and it'll show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitshifter1001 View Post
    For those of you having "Connection refused" errors, its probably because novacom is not running.

First Check Permissions on the Novacom Daemon.

If your permissions don't match these
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root staff 394 Jul 8 13:42 com.palm.novacomd

Run these commands to fix.

Hope this helps.
    Okay I think we're getting somewhere:

When I type:
    Code:
    I get:
    Code:
    total 8
    -rw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel  488 Mar 28 00:37 com.palm.novacomd

So I follow as instructed and type:
    Code:
    It seems to work without error,

Then I type:
    Code:
    And get:
    Code:
    No matching processes were found
    rm: /NovacomInstaller.pkg: No such file or directory
    I'M SOOO CLOSE TO NOT HAVING TO OPEN FINDER AND NAVIGATE TO NOVACMD EVERYTIME!
    ----------------------------
    Edit:

I rebooted even though it seemed like it wouldn't work and...

IT WORKS!!!

I suggest everyone who is getting a "connection refused" error like I did... try this!

At least try this code to see if yours doesn't match:

Code:
    THANK YOU bitshifter1001!!!!!!!
    Last edited by jp89hornet; 08/01/2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Working
    to figure out - but got it working like a charm
    quick question i run tiger on my mac, so its before leopard 10.5. is there another way to do the homebrew? help
    Quote Originally Posted by jp89hornet View Post

I rebooted even though it seemed like it wouldn't work and...
    Ah, yes. I forgot to give you the command to actually launch novacom. Rebooting does that as well. For everyone else run this to start novacom:

Code:
    sudo launchctl start com.palm.novacomd
    This should start novacom without having to reboot.

I updated the original instructions above for eveyone else.
    Last edited by bitshifter1001; 08/03/2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added notes
    I am still using my Powerbook G4 1.67, is there a way for me to get homebrew apps on my pre. I would appreciate any input. I was able to get Palm SDK package on my computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by punkdude View Post
    I am still using my Powerbook G4 1.67, is there a way for me to get homebrew apps on my pre. I would appreciate any input. I was able to get Palm SDK package on my computer.
    If you have the SDK installed, what problems are you having?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast