Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenPreed View Post
    Remove the : after palm-install
    Im not following. The command I typed was 'palm-install' with no ':'

The error message added a ':' but that is all.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Im not following. The command I typed was 'palm-install' with no ':'

The error message added a ':' but that is all.
    haha... oops, misread that.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    Heres a way to automate this with... automator.

First run Automator. Then add "Run shell script" action.
    Change "Pass input" to "As Arguments"

Enter the following into the box where it has the default "cat" command:
    Code:
    /opt/PalmSDK/0.1/bin/palm-install -d usb "$*"
    Thats basically it for a Finder plugin. Go to the File menu, Save as Plugin, Write up a description. I used "Install to Palm Pre"

Then just control-click or right mouse click your .ipk files and select the automator plugin to install them. It should also work if you select more than one file.

Thanks for this. I have never used automator but I will now.
    Batch install with this script does not seem to work.
    Last edited by mlevi98; 07/22/2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added info
    -installed Vbox
    -installed mac SDK
    -plugged Pre in with 'just charge'
    -enabled dev mode
    -entered terminal:
    Code:
    bryan-harigs-macbook-pro:~ bryanharig$ palm-install /Users/bryanharig/Downloads/de.umass.translate_1.1_all.ipk 
    -bash: palm-install: command not found
    Any ideas?
    This happened to me once. Just reinstall the SDK and it should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenPreed View Post
    I was able to load a few Homebrews last night but it was at 1 am. So decided work was better and wanted to get home today and load the other ones I wanted.

Now it loads on the sdk and not on my phone.

When I close the sdk (because it was open last night) it tells me the device is not found. Any ideas?
    I think it changed the default location to the Emulator try:

Code:
    palm-install -d usb
    Then drag and drop the app. The "-d usb" just tell the terminal to use the USB device rather than the TCP (emulator)
    Last edited by TheInvsbleMan; 07/23/2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Clarity.
    I put the pre in developer mode and restart the phone. plug the usb cable in and select just charge. Nothing happen the novacom software never install. Any idea what might be the problem. I tired restarting the phone, hard reset it, and also reinstalled the sdk
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    No way to do this on 10.3.9? I'm using an old G4 while my other machine is down...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevins2000 View Post
    I put the pre in developer mode and restart the phone. plug the usb cable in and select just charge. Nothing happen the novacom software never install. Any idea what might be the problem. I tired restarting the phone, hard reset it, and also reinstalled the sdk
    I had the same issue. Open up Terminal and enter:
    palm-install -d usb -l

You should then get a list of apps on your pre.
    then enter:
    palm-install ~/projects/packages/com.example.app_1.0_all.ipk

Let me know how it goes
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvsbleMan View Post
    This happened to me once. Just reinstall the SDK and it should work fine.

Didnt help. After reinstalling I tried 'palm-install' with the emulator both open and closed and got the same result I posted above.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlevi98 View Post
    I had the same issue. Open up Terminal and enter:
    palm-install -d usb -l

You should then get a list of apps on your pre.
    then enter:
    palm-install ~/projects/packages/com.example.app_1.0_all.ipk

Let me know how it goes
    I tried using terminal and when I type palm-install I got a list of apps, but when I did the second step it said connection refused
    I never had any novacom software install when I did mine either, I think that is a windows thing. Try typing "novaterm" without the quotes into the terminal while your Pre is attached with the Emulator closed. It should log you into your Pre as root. Just see if it does that to see if you can even get into your Pre. If not you may have other issues. Let me know what happens and I'll see if I can troubleshoot from there.

I tried using terminal and when I type palm-install I got a list of apps, but when I did the second step it said connection refused
    Well the fact that the list of apps came up tells me you have the SDK installed correctly and it is seeing your Pre, it is just odd that installing an app isn't working. Try doing what I said above with novaterm to see if you can even get into your Pre.

Didnt help. After reinstalling I tried 'palm-install' with the emulator both open and closed and got the same result I posted above.
    Hmm... I really don't know what to tell you. I had this issue and all I did was reinstall the SDK. Take my Pre out of dev mode and put it back into it and it worked. I think it may have just been some sort of bug.

I have written up a FULL guide on how to install app on the Pre using Mac at the following link: Palm Pre Forum - How to install Homebrew apps on your Pre. (without rooting). Check that out just to be clear. This write up was just a rough draft I did as I referenced the windows method. The method at that link is specifically for Mac.

Let me know how it goes.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Related question:
    Can this palm-install/automator method be used to transfer files without having to put the pre into "USB" mode
    Ok, how do you go about root access with a Mac, I've done it with my PC, but not sure how to do it with the Pre... For example, getting to the "Rootcastle" command

With the PC I know you do the Noavacom, and then Putty, but not sure what to do with the Mac.... Thanks.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Simple. Plug in your Pre open terminal. Type Novaterm. You're in! Of course your Pre needs to be in dev mode and you need to have the SDK installed.
    what if you are not running Mac OS 10.5, i have 10.4... do i have any options... currently i am using my brothers computer because he has a windows machine.. i would really like to be able to use my own computer. any help will be greatly appreciated =]
    Yes, I am a total noob. Just followed the instructions and received
    connection refused
    tried to do sudo palm-install and also got connection refused.

Any ideas? I really appreciate the help.
    Thanks

Oh, also tried to type novaterm in the terminal (correct?) and no go.
    yes pre in dev mode, yes SDK installed, yes USB just charge

Thanks!
    Last edited by preternatural; 07/24/2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: forgot
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I am also a total noob.

I am getting a prompt for a password when I type sudo palm-install.... but I cant figure out which password it needs.

Is it for my palm profile?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    OK, I finally figured it out. Maybe I just needed tiny, baby steps. For anyone else who might, this is what I had to do:
    I installed vbox
    I installed Mac SDK- it never told me the destination on my mac
    Since I kept getting connection refused or not found, and novaterm did nothing in terminal I searched for novacom on my mac. Also when i tried to open the emulator, it said that novacom was not running.
    Found a novacomd terminal and double clicked it. This seemed to allow the emulator to run, but couldn't open new terminal to use palm commands.
    Closed novacomd, opened terminal, opened novacomd and viola! palm commands ran, my device was connected! Yipee!

Seems like a pain in the arse to do everytime, but I am loving these homebrew apps!
    Thanks to all you for your hard work!

Sorry if this is a "NO DUH" post, but I guess I need the basics.
    Last edited by preternatural; 07/25/2009 at 12:23 PM.
    I am also a total noob.

I am getting a prompt for a password when I type sudo palm-install.... but I cant figure out which password it needs.

Is it for my palm profile?

Any help would be much appreciated

That's what I used. It will let you know if it is the wrong password.
    Thanks!! This helped a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by preternatural View Post
    OK, I finally figured it out. Maybe I just needed tiny, baby steps. For anyone else who might, this is what I had to do:
    I installed vbox
    I installed Mac SDK- it never told me the destination on my mac
    Since I kept getting connection refused or not found, and novaterm did nothing in terminal I searched for novacom on my mac. Also when i tried to open the emulator, it said that novacom was not running.
    Found a novacomd terminal and double clicked it. This seemed to allow the emulator to run, but couldn't open new terminal to use palm commands.
    Closed novacomd, opened terminal, opened novacomd and viola! palm commands ran, my device was connected! Yipee!

Seems like a pain in the arse to do everytime, but I am loving these homebrew apps!
    Thanks to all you for your hard work!

Sorry if this is a "NO DUH" post, but I guess I need the basics.
    I had the exact same problem... but now when I want to install a app I have to open

Code:
    /opt/nova/bin/novacmd
    then I have to open a new terminal window and I can use the palm-install, etc...

Is there a way to get novacmd running at boot without having terminal running?

Here are some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jp89hornet; 07/26/2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Add Pics
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast