Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I ported Paul Griffiths' Video Poker game to the Pre. This app is a work in progress. This is a learning project for me. I plan to develop a custom poker app later this fall once I become proficient in Pre development.

I noticed one bug in the Mr. Griffiths' logic that I will correct in the next few days. The bug is summarized as follows:

You are dealt a open ended straight draw (3 4 5 6 10). You chose to trade the 10 in hopes of getting a 2 or 7. You are dealt another 3 (4, 5 or 6) and the game says you have a straight.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.Attachment 21852

7/21 v0.3 Changes

- Pre Video Poker renamed Draw Poker to properly represent the type of poker play
    - UI changed to incorporate user feedback including dark background and game dialog changes
    - Game is starting to incorporate Mojo instead of just plain HTML and Javascript
    - Winning Hand and About information moved to App Menu
    - Logo changed
    - Card back image changed

The logic flaws in the original game have not been corrected. I will spend time troubleshooting these issues during the next few days. I also hope to improve the UI and overall gameplay.

I will investigate porting the Financial Calculator for those who inquired earlier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fsmith328; 07/21/2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Application update
    It works OK, but why is it VIDEO poker? Good job. Would be nice to see a way to restart mid game tho, or go to the main menu.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Great!

One minor quibble: On the video poker machines I'm familiar with, you select the cards you wish to "hold", and the rest are replaced. In your game, you select the cards you wish to discard.

Nice work!
    nice job works great
    Vis
    Betting doesnt work correctly. I'm getting incorrect amounts for bets.
    I second the "video" comment.

I guess I get that a pair lower than Jacks doesn't get any coin, but to scream that I've "got nothing!" wrong and annyoying.

I found another instance of Straights being less than straight-forward. I had Two Pairs: 9s and Qs, but the game added the 8 I had and called it a straight, paying me $75. I'll post a screenshot later.

Still, good job. I'd like to play against a computer opponent. The "Deal" button also needs to be bigger.
    OMG.... I win "Full house! You win $500,000!" with Bet:10,000!
    Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    I second the "video" comment.

I guess I get that a pair lower than Jacks doesn't get any coin, but to scream that I've "got nothing!" wrong and annyoying.

I found another instance of Straights being less than straight-forward. I had Two Pairs: 9s and Qs, but the game added the 8 I had and called it a straight, paying me $75. I'll post a screenshot later.

Still, good job. I'd like to play against a computer opponent. The "Deal" button also needs to be bigger.
    Same here. No joy for pairs. Unless they are in straights!

Edit: I just read what I wrote and, um... It doesn't quite sound...
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Thank you for bringing the first real poker game to the Pre.

I could not help but notice that Paul Griffins had also done a loan calculator that I really need:

Financial Calculators

- Craig
  10.    #10  
    I hope to correct most of these issues over the weekend. I also agree with the name confusion concerning video poker. Many people think of Texas Hold'em as the only poker game. I will rename the game to Pre Poker or Pre Draw Poker. Expect a bug fix release on Sunday. I will be busy tonight and tomorrow playing live Poker.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Hopefully a more experienced developer will create a real poker game soon.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    How about a SS of it running on the pre?
    Screenshot.
    We finally had some time last night to play Poker.

It is really great!

I was wondering how hard it would be to set the background to a darker green like a poker table to be easier on the eyes.

Also once the bets are placed, it lets you change the bet on screen but the original bet was kept. Could you gray out the bet box or make it read only text once the bids are locked?

- Craig
    No much of a tech guy but I cant download
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Looks Great! Keep it up!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinde View Post
    I could not help but notice that Paul Griffins had also done a loan calculator that I really need:

Financial Calculators
    A loan calculator is on my list of needed apps also. Thanks for the Poker game.
    Nice simple app. I like it. Changing the background to hunter green (like a felt poker table) would be nice.

Its funny that in the last 10 years people have come to think of Texas Holdem as 'poker'. That used to be an oddball variety of poker we would play every now and then when we got bored of 'real' poker. *this* is poker and I thank you for it.

One issue - odd things are coming up as straights:
  18.    #18  
    I know I promised an update today. I am working hard trying to make the game look like a Pre app. I haven't addressed the winning hand logic issue yet. I will deal with that late tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully I will have an update tonight. If not it will be posed early tomorrow evening.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Oh yeah,the game will be renamed Draw Poker
    So, I got a straight in this (A,10,J,Q,K), was dealt it right away, and so I held all my cards. The program then told me I had nothing.
  20.    #20  
    Thanks jhoff80 for example. I am troubleshooting the logic flaws right now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast