Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39
  1. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
       #1  
    This application was ported from freely-available code available at www .javascriptsource.com (The JavaScript Source), and was originally written by Mike McGrath (mike_mcgrath-at-lineone.net), home.clara.net/mikem .

    Free Blackjack icon provided by www .artpoker.net (ArtPoker).

    Ported to the Palm Pre and WebOS by vreihen, and released into the public domain just like the original base code that was used.

    Original author and porting individual not responsible for any damages caused by using this program. Please don't Play and Drive!

    I had posted a quick & dirty version of this into another section of this forum a few days ago, in response to an inquiry from someone about how long it would take to port freely-available JavaScript apps like this one. Since then, I Mojo-ized it for easier use on a handheld phone, and cleaned up the code so that it's more in line with how Palm apparently wants packages laid out.

    The only improvement that I have planned is to add an "about" screen to the app pull-down menu, crediting the original sources of the application code and icon file.

    It should be noted that Sprint won't sell me a Pre to test this on, so I'd appreciate it if someone could post here if it works properly on actual phone hardware. The package doesn't contain binaries or anything that's likely to brick a phone, and I don't anticipate any problems since it runs fine on virtual hardware.

    The original source wasn't the fanciest game out there, but it does play Blackjack. If someone else wants to add pictures of cards and display both players' hands, feel free to build on this head-start.....
    Attached Files Attached Files
  2. #2  
    Love it!

    Thank you. We will test it.

    Oh course the first thing we will ask for is images of the cards...

    - Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 07/15/2009 at 08:38 PM.
  3. texasjack's Avatar
    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    #3  
    Anyone tried it and so can it be removed?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by texasjack View Post
    Anyone tried it and so can it be removed?
    Yes and yes.

    - Craig
  5. #5  
    Thanks will kill a good 15-20 minutes on it tonight
    SCK Manager
  6. #6  
    Great use of code from others, I might try to do the same!
  7. majikTib's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    #7  
    Awesome! Even tho it's a basic GUI, it's enough to keep me busy!

    Thanks

  8. #8  
    Haha I love the version number: 0.2.21 very nice touch. Am downloading right now.
  9. redskyy's Avatar
    Posts
    92 Posts
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    #9  
    It's a good and functional port so far. I would love to see someone build upon it with some spruced up graphics and such.
  10. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    Haha I love the version number: 0.2.21 very nice touch.
    I'm glad that someone noticed! The icon that I found is named 21.png. Early in the port, I needed to put a version number into appinfo.json. I initially put in 0.2, closed my editor window, and the "21" from the icon file's name on the screen grabbed my attention. At that point, I decided that every version number had to be a .21 of some sort.....
  11. #11  
    this app definitely needs to be made multiplayer! it would be killer to search (the net) for an open table, and start playing against others...
  12. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by redskyy View Post
    It's a good and functional port so far. I would love to see someone build upon it with some spruced up graphics and such.
    I would like to see it have the dealer and a few computer-driven players in addition to the human player. Lay out their cards graphically in rows on the screen so that you can see them, like they supposedly do in a real casino. If someone else wants to follow up with it, the Solitaire app here probably has usable card images in the proper Pre size if that programmer's license allows using them in another app.

    As I posted in the announcement post at the top, this port started out as research for an answer to a question here:

    http--forums.precentral.net/web-os-development/192295-questions-about-future-apps-homebrew-paypal-donate-option.html

    Once I had it running quick & dirty, I went back to make it look like a proper Mojo application. My goal was simply to figure out Palm's proper way of doing things in their UI. After I got the Mojo buttons and stuff working, I thought that it came out good enough to share as a Homebrew app.

    My intention has never been to become a game programmer. I was just using this borrowed code to learn Mojo, in anticipation of developing an automotive-type application to make the Pre replace an app that I haven't been able to use since my ancient Palm M-105.....
  13. #13  
    Awesome!
  14. #14  
    Looks good... but desperately needs some graphics.
  15. synplex's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #15  
    So are there card graphics for this game or is it just text??

    Thx
    www.MTFX.tv
    -Touchpad owner
  16. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by synplex View Post
    So are there card graphics for this game or is it just text??
    JUST TEXT?!?!? Thousands of years ago, our ancestors scratched pictures of things (graphics) on the walls of caves. Then, written languages (text) came along, which is the basis of our modern civilization. Now, thanks to Xerox PARC, Apple, and Microsoft, computers are pushing us all backwards thousands of years into communicating via pictures again! There's nothing wrong with text...unless you live in a cave.

    Seriously though, it's just text. Someone was even kind enough to post a screen capture above. The original free JavaScript source at the heart of this application was not modified, and it did not come with any type of card graphics. If you would like to see these features, feel free to add them yourself. That's the heart and soul of open-source software.

    Is anyone around here old enough to remember the *classic* computer game called LEM? It was played on computers with not much more processing power than the real lunar lander, and told you how big of a crater you made when you slammed into the surface of the moon. Long story short, in honor of the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11 next week, I think that I'm going to see about getting it running in all it's text glory on the Pre.....
  17. synplex's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    JUST TEXT?!?!? Thousands of years ago, our ancestors scratched pictures of things (graphics) on the walls of caves. Then, written languages (text) came along, which is the basis of our modern civilization. Now, thanks to Xerox PARC, Apple, and Microsoft, computers are pushing us all backwards thousands of years into communicating via pictures again! There's nothing wrong with text...unless you live in a cave.

    Seriously though, it's just text. Someone was even kind enough to post a screen capture above. The original free JavaScript source at the heart of this application was not modified, and it did not come with any type of card graphics. If you would like to see these features, feel free to add them yourself. That's the heart and soul of open-source software.

    Is anyone around here old enough to remember the *classic* computer game called LEM? It was played on computers with not much more processing power than the real lunar lander, and told you how big of a crater you made when you slammed into the surface of the moon. Long story short, in honor of the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11 next week, I think that I'm going to see about getting it running in all it's text glory on the Pre.....
    WOW! Sorry for asking! No I dont live in a cave and yes as a motion Graphic designer, I believe Images are and, always have been, more powerful then words/text.
    So Yes, I would love some images of cards played instead of some "floppy disc 80s" text game.
    I was Just asking since the app is still new, I have no problem waiting.
    But if your just designing a Card game, I thought Maybe, Kinda, Possibly you might want to add the Cards.
    Either way Thanks for port to Pre.
    Last edited by synplex; 07/16/2009 at 09:45 PM.
    www.MTFX.tv
    -Touchpad owner
  18. #18  
    Not exactly what I expected...needs some graphics...
  19. #19  
    1 image = 1000 words... therefore pictuers are 1000x more powerful than words
  20. synplex's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by coojoe1000 View Post
    Not exactly what I expected...needs some graphics...
    Quote Originally Posted by tman9476 View Post
    1 image = 1000 words... therefore pictuers are 1000x more powerful than words


    BAM! Not alone

    Again, Thanks for the app either way. Love to lose time with "card" games.
    www.MTFX.tv
    -Touchpad owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions