Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    cool app! thanks for the help!!
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Nicely done. Just waiting for pesos.
    If he would follow my suggestions above the Exchange Rates Table for American Dollar, U.S.A. chart supports Pesos!
    49 conversions in total.

Seriously just trying to help man. ii

One chart to rule them all!

Maybe I will make my own anyway. I need a project to learn this stuff on. ii
    I just did not want to replicate the same program. I have programmed in C and C++ (Also Cobol and Fortran) and some scripting languages but I need to learn Javascript and all the WebOS stuff. My time is limited.
    Last edited by Paladin; 07/23/2009 at 09:29 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  4.    #24  
    Yahoo has obviously all currencies, too, it's just a matter of implementing it into the application. I wont use the source you suggested since I'm not keen on doing screen scraping. Also, Yahoo provides a free API, instead of your source (they do charge for data feeds: Developers Information for x-rates.com and as I said before I won't do screen scraping, especially not on a mobile device (bandwidth)).
    Since the new 1.1 SDK is apparently incompatible with the current Pre firmware I'll release the new version as soon as the 1.1 update gets out.
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    Yahoo has obviously all currencies, too, it's just a matter of implementing it into the application. I wont use the source you suggested since I'm not keen on doing screen scraping. Also, Yahoo provides a free API, instead of your source (they do charge for data feeds: Developers Information for x-rates.com and as I said before I won't do screen scraping, especially not on a mobile device (bandwidth)).
    Since the new 1.1 SDK is apparently incompatible with the current Pre firmware I'll release the new version as soon as the 1.1 update gets out.

Hey I understand but screen scraping is not a bad thing! It is downloading data, no different than any other source. Most programs that are front ends are scraped.

Scraping is no different that visiting the site through the web browser. Actually scraping can take less bandwidth.

Also my point was you only need to scrape one small table to convert everything. The bandwidth would be very minimal.

I was not suggesting scraping a ton of data (tables) for each country or anything, that is not needed!

Either way, good job on what you are doing man. I was just trying to help. As I said I may do my own just for fun but I won't release it ii

I will shut up now <GRIN> ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 07/23/2009 at 09:53 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Thanks. Nice and useful app.
  7.    #27  
    I've updated the app, new currencies are in, needs webOS 1.1 to work. have fun

@Paladin: screen scraping is different in these ways:
    - you have to check with the website's conditions if usage of the data is allowed or not, on your site it seems it's not.
    - you have to parse html (nasty, especially with JSJSJS )
    - bandwith is probably much higher that with yahoo, but that will probably even out, as more exchange rates you request from yahoo (http overhead, nasty again )
    thanks for the suggestion, though.
    Last edited by roar; 07/24/2009 at 03:20 AM.
    Could you please add the Nigerian Naira (NGN)? That would instantly make this a must-have application for me.
    converting from us dollars to polish zloty doesnt work
  10.    #30  
    Thanks, just updated the app to 0.2.1: Polish Zloty now works (used the wrong - the old one - currency code, duh) and added NGN.

edit: also includes the ability to clear the rates data via shaking the phone (I hope it works, haven't tested that)
    Last edited by roar; 07/25/2009 at 09:43 AM.
    Thanks for the app, just wondering why don't you have more currencies?
    Can you add all avail on yahoo?
    Thanks.
  12.    #32  
    Because I'm lazy I have to go look up the currency code and the flag for every currency I add (
    The next major update will include more currencies.
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    It gets the rates from Yahoo, as stated in the little text at the bottom
    roar,

This makes 6 great apps when you count in Garfield and Dilbert from earlier.

I can't wait to see what you do next.

- Craig
    I'm going to Japan so this is perfect!

I'll keep my phone with me, though on airplane mode since I don't want to be charged some astronomical amount because of my push email. So I'll have wi-fi.

I just disabled wifi and turned on airplane mode and the app seems to work. Does it just remember the last exchange rate from Yahoo? So I know I can carry my phone around and figure out how much I'm paying for goods with the quickness.
    If you could UAE and Maldives currency, that would be fantastic Thanks for the great work so far!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    no dice on the shaking to clear, roar
  17.    #37  
    If your clear the cached rates (by shaking or by using the menu) it doesn't give any visual feedback yet :-/
    Janni, please add Ringgit Malaysia, Danke
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Great App! When possible, could you add Colombian Pesos?

Thanks!
    John
    Update thread title to:
    Currency Converter v0.2.1 (7/25)

- Craig
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast