Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Was just playing this with my wife on her Touch, and came home and saw this on the forum! Thanks, Oil!
  2.    #22  
    Should have the drag-n-drop wysiwyg puzzle designer finished relatively soon, so people can easily create and submit puzzles designs that everyone will be able to play.

All thats really left to do with it is to implement a way to play-test the designed puzzle (the designer beating their creation will be a requirement for submission,) and synergy email hotness to send me the puzzle for inclusion in the app.

I've attached some screenshots of its in-progress awesomeness as it is now before I hit the sack.

(Side note: I'm saddened by the lack of built-in dark styles for the dialogs. Why palm, why? )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by oil; 07/15/2009 at 02:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    Should have the drag-n-drop wysiwyg puzzle designer finished relatively soon, so people can easily create and submit puzzles designs that everyone will be able to play.
    Awesome, really looking forward to it! Relatively soon as in next hour or two, or expect tomorrow morning/evening? (Need to know whether to stay up or not!) haha

Great work, thanks!
    Wow Oil... that is amazing looking!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnLBurger View Post
    Relatively soon as in next hour or two, or expect tomorrow morning/evening? (Need to know whether to stay up or not!) haha
    I hope you didn't stay up too late waiting...

But, barring any unforeseen complications with whats left to do, I should be able to finish it up this evening after work.
    Take a look at pyTraffic ( http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Al...ers/pytraffic/ ). It claims to have over 19,000 puzzles (I haven't worked out exactly how many yet), and the source code has a doc file explains how to read the binary format of the puzzle source file (also included in the source).
  7.    #27  
    I could certainly attempt to load in all their puzzles... (though 19,000 seems like overkill) But where is the fun in that? I didn't start writing this app to basically copy/paste from someone else. For me, I get more enjoyment out of writing the code, releasing it, and receiving feedback then I do in actually playing it.

This way I get to create an awesome puzzle designer, which allows the members of the community who want to contributing to do so, and in the process, make it more enjoyable for those who simply want to try and solve the puzzles. It's a win-win-win situation.
    I cant see the link to the ipk. Can you post it in the thread somewhere we can see it?
  9.    #29  
    Yeah, I was in the process of updating my first post with the new version. 0.6.0 is there now, and ready for download.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the puzzles you guys make with the designer!
    Great app, one of the best ones in homebrew!
    Wow!! Excellent idea to make an actual puzzle designer in the app as well.

+1 as usual, oil.

Just curious, do you have secret access to the actual, legit SDK to be able to do all this stuff?
  12.    #32  
    LOL, No. I wish.

Then I would be able to find out how to make the auto-email message multi-line...
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I was workin on a puzzle and made a mistake, how do you delete a block or undo a change?
  14.    #34  
    To undo a 'change' simply move the block back to where it was before.

To delete, hold the orange button and tap the block you wish to delete.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    One way to really future-proof this-- allow people to save puzzles to a web server, then you can download new ones at random when you have a network connection. So you might have 10 puzzles on your phone at any time, but you can request updates on demand. Then people wouldn't have to update the app to get new stuff.

If you already have a puzzle creator, you're probably 80% of the way there.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    One way to really future-proof this-- allow people to save puzzles to a web server, then you can download new ones at random when you have a network connection. So you might have 10 puzzles on your phone at any time, but you can request updates on demand. Then people wouldn't have to update the app to get new stuff.

If you already have a puzzle creator, you're probably 80% of the way there.
    Thats a pretty good idea. And wouldn't be difficult at all. In fact, I probably should have done it in the first place instead of having it email me the design... But ah well.

The only problems I could foresee is that then the it would be dependent my server to be up and running and functional (and, it's not on the best hardware right now, it's already having trouble with the xboxlive friends app.) Any problems, and nobody would be able to get more puzzles. And you wouldn't be able to access more of them without a connection (no reception in a subway, airplane mode, etc.)

And if I ever get accepted into palms developer network, and the ability to put it in the app catalog, updates with more puzzles wont be any problem.
    I love this game. i want more levels
  18.    #38  
    I've already had 3 puzzles submitted since I released the new version. Once I get some more I'll stick em in and release an update.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    And you wouldn't be able to access more of them without a connection (no reception in a subway, airplane mode, etc.)
    That was the caching idea-- ideally, any time I ran the app and there was a network connection, it would download *all* the new puzzles onto the phone for me. I'd never be out of date.

One possible way around this-- create "collections" of puzzles on the server, with a limit of X puzzles.

The user picks what collection of puzzles they want to work on, and all those will be downloaded to the phone. If there are new puzzles added to a collection, they automatically get the update.

You could also track when a user has solved all the puzzles in a collection on their phone, and move to the next collection for them, rather than having the user manually pick from a collection.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Thanks for this... I'm hooked!
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast