Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
  1.    #121  
    Hey kmax,

your best bet would be a database. Try SQLite. Cookies are generally meant to be very tiny and to only store/restore preferences or little things here and there. It wouldn't be standard procedure to use cookies for heavy lifting. Also, I read in the documentation that they generally have a small size limit, so it might really be practical for you. Also, having a bunch cookies doesn't sound very practical either. Try databases, as you can add on to them and access them/delete info you want at any point and it's just one big file of values. That may be your best solution.

Good Luck!
    Do you know of some way that I can take information from a web site (or any file hosted on the internet) and display and format it inside an app (instead of in web view) on the Pre how I like? I assume it would have something to do with <div> tags and CSS, but I don't know the actual code if I wanted to get it into list form...

Aaron
    Last edited by giftedmunchkin; 08/01/2009 at 08:33 AM.
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by giftedmunchkin View Post
    Do you know of some way that I can take information from a web site (or any file hosted on the internet) and display and format it inside an app (instead of in web view) on the Pre how I like? I assume it would have something to do with <div> tags and CSS, but I don't know the actual code if I wanted to get it into list form...

Aaron
    Hey Aaron,

What you asked is kind of a multi-step process. Your first question has to do with extracting information from a website. There's multiple ways to do this. The easiest way to do it is get a specific API key from the website, ask them for specific information, and get it back in a known format that is easy to work with. However, I have never done this. I've heard it makes life easier and things go a lot more smoothly, but I'm not too sure. The other ways that I have done are, make an Ajax call and pull in the entire webpage. You can learn how to do an Ajax call by reading some documentation here. From there you can specify the parts you want and the parts you don't want. To extract the parts you want you can use either DOM parsing (which you can learn about here) or simple string parsing, which you can find here.

The second part of your question has to do with the list widget. The list widget is explained pretty well on the two pages of the palm WebOS Dev documentation. You can find those two pages here and here.

I've listed a lot of documentation which you will have to read and cover. There will be a lot of questions that come up. Don't hesitate to ask. I would prefer you try to do as much of it yourself so you can actually learn how to do it. If you get stuck, try it for a couple of hours, maybe a day or two, and then ask for help.

Good Luck!
    [QUOTE=SirataXero;1797478]Hey Aaron,

What you asked is kind of a multi-step process. Your first question has to do with extracting information from a website. There's multiple ways to do this. The easiest way to do it is get a specific API key from the website, ask them for specific information, and get it back in a known format that is easy to work with. However, I have never done this. I've heard it makes life easier and things go a lot more smoothly, but I'm not too sure. The other ways that I have done are, make an Ajax call and pull in the entire webpage. You can learn how to do an Ajax call by reading some documentation [URL=" From there you can specify the parts you want and the parts you don't want. To extract the parts you want you can use either DOM parsing (which you can learn about [URL=" or simple string parsing, which you can find [URL="

The second part of your question has to do with the list widget. The list widget is explained pretty well on the two pages of the palm WebOS Dev documentation. You can find those two pages [URL=" and [URL="

I've listed a lot of documentation which you will have to read and cover. There will be a lot of questions that come up. Don't hesitate to ask. I would prefer you try to do as much of it yourself so you can actually learn how to do it. If you get stuck, try it for a couple of hours, maybe a day or two, and then ask for help.

Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Fantastic! Thanks for the help, this thread has been incredible. I'll toy with what you gave me for a little while, and see what I can get from it.

Thanks again!

Aaron
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    is there any way to move uiwidgets app in eclipse and make it open cuz im having trouble the cmd line way, i can get hello world to package just fine but not any of the others it says "this is not a valid app".

please help
  6.    #126  
    Well, before you do anything, check to make sure you're in the right directory. Other than that, do this:

Open up File Explorer and go to Palm/SDK/bin. Keep it open, and open another Explorer and go into the folder (sampleapps?) with UIWidgets inside. Drag the UIWidgets folder onto the palm-package.bat file. It should package it and spit out an ipk file in the same directory as the UIWidgets folder. You can then drag the ipk file into palm-install.bat.

This SHOULD work for you...

If not, copy and paste the UIWidgets folder into the Eclipse workspace. Do that first, if its already in the work space, do this:

(Well... I have Aptana... but since it's practically the same thing... I assume something similar would work for you: )

(this is assuming you have the Mojo add-on installed)

File -> Import -> Other -> Existing Folder as New App -> then just browse through the directory, find it, and import it.

If it comes up as just a project folder (without the little phone icon) it's a little bit trickier. What you have to do is change the name of the UIWidgets folder (to UIWidgets1, for example). Then start a new project (File-> New -> Mojo Application). Name it UIWidgets. Then go into your directory and just replace each one of the files in the new folder (UIWidgets) with the original Palm one (UIWidgets1).

Hope that made sense...

Good Luck!
    I am just trying to post more.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567