Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    how would I go about styling a button. Say I want to make it green and and little smaller? can someone show me some example CSS?

The other thing I'm trying to figure out and find no reference to is how to halt, or stop execution of the program (i.e. the good ol' exit button?)
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by Converse420 View Post
    we should make a thread that people here (noobs) for the most part cam show their apps in code so otheres can look at the files and see how they did it this would help me a ton
    Well, most of the people who put up homebrews usually include a zip file along with it so you can study their code. If not, just use 7-Zip to unpack it and take a look for yourself! I agree, it definitely helps to look at pre-existing code to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    how would I go about styling a button. Say I want to make it green and and little smaller? can someone show me some example CSS?
    To make the button green, all you have to do is make its class="affirmative". To make it smaller, you'll definitely need CSS. Unfortunately, I have no experience in CSS and I try to avoid it as much as possible. haha. Sorry! You can go to HTMLDog and try to look at some CSS examples in there. I heard modifying Widgets isn't usually the easiest thing to do, and most often does not come off as intended, however, YMMV. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    The other thing I'm trying to figure out and find no reference to is how to halt, or stop execution of the program (i.e. the good ol' exit button?)
    Well, in WebOS's case, you can't really "halt" a program, but you can always hit the Home button, and swipe the card away. That's analogous to closing the program or hitting the exit button. On your keyboard you can hit Delete, Home, or Esc, to back out of a program (into card view) and then just swipe up to close it.

Good Luck!
    I know that this is a ridiculous question with what I assume will be an incredibly obvious answer... but how do you launch the SDK once everything has been installed? I've got the emulator working and I've downloaded the SDK into C:\Palm\SDK as well as all the other requirements installed.

Thanks
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderCup View Post
    I know that this is a ridiculous question with what I assume will be an incredibly obvious answer... but how do you launch the SDK once everything has been installed? I've got the emulator working and I've downloaded the SDK into C:\Palm\SDK as well as all the other requirements installed.

Thanks
    haha, no worries about "ridiculousness" here, this is a noob-friendly thread and any noob bashing will not be tolerated.

As per your request, you say that you have the emulator "working", does this mean everything is downloaded? Or did you launch it and see the WebOS home screen? If you see the screen and you can launch programs and such, then you're done! If you haven't been able to launch it, go into:
    Code:
    Palm/SDK/bin
    In there you should see palm-emulator.bat. (Assuming you are on Vista) right click and "Run as Admin". That should get it started up. Again, assuming you got it all installed properly on Vista.

The emulator is just one part of the SDK. One of the other parts would be the files themselves. You will need an editor to modify the files and package them up as a program. While you can just as easily use Notepad for this purpose, it is suggested you use something a bit more powerful. Palm recommends Aptana or Eclipse, while others suggest modified Notepad programs such as Notepad++, or the modified version of Komodo Edit. Most of these (except Notepad++) come with Mojo (Pre) specific plugins which you can install to make the program work easier with your emulator.

Other parts of the SDK include the packager, installer, launcher and the generator.

The generator creates a basic skeleton application folder directory which you can go in and modify into your application. The packager would then take your directory and turn it into an ipk (file type that the Pre recognizes as a program, almost analogous to an exe for Windows, kind of). The installer then takes this ipk file and installs it into the emulator (or your device). Finally, the launcher launches the program on your device or emulator so it starts up.

There is also an Inspector included which is supposed to check your files to make sure they are correct (or would make sense to the Pre once they are installed). I have never used it so I don't personally know too much about it.

I hope this makes sense and answers your question. Please let me know if this didn't make sense, or if you have more questions.

Good Luck!
    thanks for all the information and the help

I meant that in the folder automatically created on my desktop with the shortcuts to all the files, I could run the emulator and get the pre screen up and running to open programs and such.

When I run the batch file, the cmd window comes up and goes away pretty much instantly... I'm actually running Windows 7, but it should be similar to Vista? Any idea what the problem is?
  6.    #106  
    Wait, I don't quite understand. If you managed to get the emulator up and running, what exactly is your question? haha. The batch file I told you to launch just runs the emulator. I don't remember the folder it created on the desktop, I didn't bother looking at it. All the files you need are in your bin folder anyway. If you have the emulator working, what exactly are you trying to do?
    thanks for all the information and the help

I meant that in the folder automatically created on my desktop with the shortcuts to all the files, I could run the emulator and get the pre screen up and running to open programs and such.

When I run the batch file, the cmd window comes up and goes away pretty much instantly... I'm actually running Windows 7, but it should be similar to Vista? Any idea what the problem is?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Wait, I don't quite understand. If you managed to get the emulator up and running, what exactly is your question? haha. The batch file I told you to launch just runs the emulator. I don't remember the folder it created on the desktop, I didn't bother looking at it. All the files you need are in your bin folder anyway. If you have the emulator working, what exactly are you trying to do?
    Perhaps you (CommanderCup) are thinking that there's some sort of SDK interface or something? The SDK is the coding and really the tutorial and stuff, and more so the new webOSdev website website with their documentation and stuff. So there's not an actual SDK program, if that's what you're getting at..
    well when I try to execute any of the commands in command prompt ie. palm-package, the command isn't recognized

I assume each of those commands corresponds to the batch files with the same name... but I don't know what I'm supposed to do to make them work... I suppose I could just drag the files to the batch files to execute commands?
  9.    #109  
    well when I try to execute any of the commands in command prompt ie. palm-package, the command isn't recognized

I assume each of those commands corresponds to the batch files with the same name... but I don't know what I'm supposed to do to make them work... I suppose I could just drag the files to the batch files to execute commands?
    Yes, you can always drag the files onto the batch file and it should work. However, just make sure the command prompt is directed to the correct directory if you want to use the command prompt directly. i.e.:
    Code:
    cd Palm/SDK/share/samplecode
    Then when you're in there, use the palm-package and palm-install commands.

Also, if you're on Vista, make sure to run the Command Prompt as Admin.

Good Luck!
    OMG you guys, I'm going to go stir crazy! I love learning the sdk and javascript all together, and I thought to myself that I would create an app with each Widget element so I know how to create it and use. Well it's harder then I thought, I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, I even copied & pasted from the WidgetUI app folder into my test applications. NOTHING, I get a completely blank screen
    Hey...hopefully someone here has an answer. I have a very small background in working with html but have been tyring to learn javascript. What I am trying to do it set up a link to open as a new text message with the address already filled in but I cannot get it to work no matter what I do. Here is the script I have running in the header.

Code:
    <script src="/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/mojo.jsjsjs&$quot$; $type$=
    &$quot$;$text$/$javascript$&$quot$; $x$-$mojo$-$version$=&$quot$;$1$&$quot$;&$gt$;
      $function$ $msg$($num$) {
      $this$.$controller$.$serviceRequest$('$palm$://$com$.$palm$.$applicationManager$', {
              $method$:'$launch$',
                $parameters$:{
                    $id$:&$quot$;$com$.$palm$.$app$.$messaging$&$quot$;,
                    $params$:{
                        $composeAddress$: '$num$'

},
            $onSuccess$: $this$.$handleOKResponse$,
            $onFailure$: $this$.$handleErrResponse$
    });}
    &$lt$;/$script$&$gt$;
    down in the body I have tried to call the function with the following...
    onclick="msg('5555555555')"
    Mojo.Event.tap="msg('5555555555')"

in addition to about 100 other things.

The app is running as a simple 1 page index.html. I dont have any stages or assistants but I don't think i need these if the page never changes. The page runs fine otherwise and all other html links work but I cannot get the javascripted links to work. please help...im at the point of giving up.
    I am eager to start learning how to develop through the Hello world app and Palm Emulator.

If I understand correctly I do NOT need my Pre plugged in as this is a tutorial using the Emulator to test the results.. Am I correct?

So I read your tutorial & Palm Webosdev page

I tried entering the initial cd/ command you had posted i finally cd'd CORRECTLY to

C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\share\samplecode\tutorial>

So when I type in the next lines of command i get the following :
    PalmSDK variable Not set..

I can't get the hello world to install in the emulator, due to the fact i can't get past this point

Am I missing something?
    Below is what I have done so far ( notice my directory C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\share\samplecode\tutorial>

C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\share\samplecode\tutorial>palm-package HelloWorld
    PalmSDK variable not set

C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\share\samplecode\tutorial>palm-install com.yourdomain.
    hello_1.0_all.ipk
    PalmSDK variable not set
    Last edited by Addie_Goodvibes; 07/31/2009 at 02:42 AM.
    When i try to "palm-package" my app i get the following message:

"palm-package: invalid value for property "version" in C:\...\com.madeupdaomain.appname\appinfo.json"

do i need to host it in a valid domain? is that what i am missing here? when i ssh into \var\usr\applications\ and paste my app folder there it works just fine and i can use the app on my phone...

but i'd still rather make an .ipk and use that on the emulator rather than copy-pasting app into phone using ssh and winSCP...would save me the pain of having to restart my phone for every small code change i try to implement...(i'm big on trial and error )

anyone have any suggestions/explanations? would greatly appreciate the help

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurab15 View Post
    When i try to "palm-package" my app i get the following message:

"palm-package: invalid value for property "version" in C:\...\com.madeupdaomain.appname\appinfo.json"

do i need to host it in a valid domain? is that what i am missing here? when i ssh into \var\usr\applications\ and paste my app folder there it works just fine and i can use the app on my phone...

but i'd still rather make an .ipk and use that on the emulator rather than copy-pasting app into phone using ssh and winSCP...would save me the pain of having to restart my phone for every small code change i try to implement...(i'm big on trial and error )

anyone have any suggestions/explanations? would greatly appreciate the help

thanks
    what is the line you have set for version...it might not be formatted properly...

"version": "0.0.1",

try that
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    OMG you guys, I'm going to go stir crazy! I love learning the sdk and javascript all together, and I thought to myself that I would create an app with each Widget element so I know how to create it and use. Well it's harder then I thought, I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, I even copied & pasted from the WidgetUI app folder into my test applications. NOTHING, I get a completely blank screen
    Hey groovdafied, the one thing I noticed while adding Widgets and getting the BSOD (blank screen of death) is that you MUST do EVERY single step one at a time. Make sure you are ONLY adding one widget at a time. Add its HTML and make a VERY basic widget (with no special features) and make sure it works. Then slowly, one by one, add each feature into its model/attributes. It may seem like a long and arduous process but once you start getting the hang of widgets, you'll have a much better understanding of how they work, and you'll be VERY efficient with them. I guarantee it!

Quote Originally Posted by whitesmoke View Post
    Code:
    <script src="/usr/palm/frameworks/mojo/mojo.jsjsjs&$quot$; $type$=
    &$quot$;$text$/$javascript$&$quot$; $x$-$mojo$-$version$=&$quot$;$1$&$quot$;&$gt$;
      $function$ $msg$($num$) {
      $this$.$controller$.$serviceRequest$('$palm$://$com$.$palm$.$applicationManager$', {
              $method$:'$launch$',
                $parameters$:{
                    $id$:&$quot$;$com$.$palm$.$app$.$messaging$&$quot$;,
                    $params$:{
                        $composeAddress$: '$num$'

},
            $onSuccess$: $this$.$handleOKResponse$,
            $onFailure$: $this$.$handleErrResponse$
    });}
    &$lt$;/$script$&$gt$;
    down in the body I have tried to call the function with the following...
    onclick="msg('5555555555')"
    Mojo.Event.tap="msg('5555555555')"

in addition to about 100 other things.
    Hey whitesmoke, Let's see if my suggestions help any. I believe the script call to the mojo.jsjsjs $file$ $should$ $be$ $by$ $itself$. $Close$ $it$ $off$ $with$ $a$ &$lt$;/$script$&$gt$; $tag$ $at$ $the$ $end$ $and$ $start$ $a$ $new$ &$lt$;$script$&$gt$; $tag$ $for$ $your$ $JS$ $function$ $again$. ($I$'$m$ $not$ $too$ $sure$ $about$ $HTML$/$JS$ $either$ $to$ $be$ $honest$, $but$ $I$ $think$ $there$ $might$ $be$ $a$ $difference$ $there$). $Also$, $your$ $function$ $might$ $be$ $trying$ $to$ $call$ $the$ $onSuccess$ $and$ $onFailure$ $functions$ $you$ $have$ $listed$ $there$. $Apparently$, $you$ $specified$ $the$ $functions$ $for$ $it$ $to$ $call$, $but$ $those$ $functions$ $don$'$t$ $exist$. $This$ $might$ $also$ $be$ $causing$ $a$ $problem$. $Comment$ $out$, $or$ $get$ $rid$ $of$ $those$ $two$ $lines$ $then$ $try$ $again$. $Lastly$, $when$ $you$ $say$ $onclick$=&$quot$;$msg$('$5555555555$')&$quot$;, $if$ $you$ $include$ $the$ $msg$('$55555555$') $in$ $quotes$, ($To$ $my$ $understanding$, $I$ $could$ $be$ $very$ $wrong$ $on$ $this$), $but$ $if$ $you$ $include$ $it$ $in$ $quotes$, $you$ $are$ $now$ $giving$ $the$ $program$ $a$ $string$ $instead$ $of$ $a$ $function$ $call$. $Get$ $rid$ $of$ $the$ $quotes$ $around$ $that$ $and$ $try$ $again$.

I suggest following my solutions one at a time, if one doesn't work, try the first two together, if they don't work, try all of them, one by one. This way you can single out your problem for future reference.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    If I understand correctly I do NOT need my Pre plugged in as this is a tutorial using the Emulator to test the results.. Am I correct?
    That's right, for this tutorial, all you need is the emulator installed and running.

So I read your tutorial & Palm Webosdev page

I tried entering the initial cd/ command you had posted i finally cd'd CORRECTLY to

C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\share\samplecode\tutorial>
    Sorry! I tried to specify to install directly to the C:/ folder and not the Program Files folder, my mistake.

So when I type in the next lines of command i get the following :
    PalmSDK variable Not set..

I can't get the hello world to install in the emulator, due to the fact i can't get past this point

Am I missing something?
    Below is what I have done so far ( notice my directory C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\share\samplecode\tutorial>
    It shouldn't be a problem. If you are in the tutorial directory, it should work, but try this: Drag the helloworld app folder onto the palm-package.bat file. It should package it automatically. If it does not, I assume there is a problem with your installation and I would suggest installing again. If that works, drag it into the palm-install.bat file. It should open up a command prompt, show some lines, and then the command prompt should disappear. Then you can open the launcher in the emulator and see the HelloWorld app icon in there.

If this does not work, again, there MIGHT be a problem with your installation. Double check and get back to me

Good Luck to all of you!

Let me know if you guys get it working or not.
    thanks for the response...I have already tried all the above unfortunately and still no luck...argh
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post

That's right, for this tutorial, all you need is the emulator installed and running.

Sorry! I tried to specify to install directly to the C:/ folder and not the Program Files folder, my mistake.

It shouldn't be a problem. If you are in the tutorial directory, it should work, but try this: Drag the helloworld app folder onto the palm-package.bat file. It should package it automatically. If it does not, I assume there is a problem with your installation and I would suggest installing again. If that works, drag it into the palm-install.bat file. It should open up a command prompt, show some lines, and then the command prompt should disappear. Then you can open the launcher in the emulator and see the HelloWorld app icon in there.

If this does not work, again, there MIGHT be a problem with your installation. Double check and get back to me

Good Luck to all of you! Let me know if you guys get it working or not.
    Thanks for the Help I will try suggested and get back, would a PM/or Im be ok?
    what is the line you have set for version...it might not be formatted properly...

"version": "0.0.1",

try that
    Thanks!! That seemed to have been the problem...finally i don't have to reboot for everything!!
  19.    #119  
    thanks for the response...I have already tried all the above unfortunately and still no luck...argh
    Hey whitesmoke, oh man that's lame. I'm sorry that stuff didn't work for you. I would STRONGLY suggest following the scenes organization. Even if you only have one page doing one thing. Throw everything into a scene.html file within the view folder, and the scripts into a assistant.jsjsjs $in$ $the$ $assistants$ $folder$. $It$'$ll$ $help$ $in$ $the$ $long$ $run$...

: /

Sorry!

Thanks for the Help I will try suggested and get back, would a PM/or Im be ok?
    Hey, yeah sounds good. PM is fine.

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    does anyone have any advice on what method to use to store data on the phone? I see using cookies in the palm documentation. Is is this the best way to store data? I ask this because I am trying to add user accounts and store tracking session for my app PREtracker. I also am curious about how to structure the cookie. Is it best to have a separate cookie for each session or to add on to a single cookie at the end of a session.

thanks in advance
    kmax
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast