Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have a dumb question:

palm-install com.yourdomain.hello_1.0_all.ipk

com.yourdomain <-- what is your domain what do i put in there?
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    I have a dumb question:

palm-install com.yourdomain.hello_1.0_all.ipk

com.yourdomain <-- what is your domain what do i put in there?
    haha not a dumb question at all. I was stuck on this myself for a while.

Actually you're not supposed to change that. Yet.

Type it in exactly as it shows you. You get to change that later on in your appinfo.json folder. for now just type in word for word "com.yourdomain.hello..."

It's meant for later on when you are in your appinfo.json file, you can enter in your vendor name, and id and other such things. At which point, the ipk file name will reflect those changes.
    Thank you very much, ok i have one more question i have this Javascript file that make a virtual keyboard, now i am stuck on what to do next, how do i incorperate everything so i can test it on the Emulator? I can email to anyone who wants it.
  4.    #64  
    haha uh oh. This might be a bit more of a complicated question for me to answer. To start out on the emulator, all you should do is, rename the jsjsjs $file$ $as$ &$quot$;$whatever$-$assistant$.$js$&$quot$; $and$ $throw$ $it$ $into$ $the$ $app$/$assistants$ $folder$ $of$ $your$ $application$ ($in$ $this$ $case$ $HelloWorld$).

Open up the sources.json folder in the root folder of your application and include it in the list. You will see the formatting, just follow that but add your file name in it as well.

Package and Install. See what it does!

*edit*

This will include your jsjsjs $file$ $into$ $the$ $app$ $itself$, $but$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $how$ $you$ $would$ $call$ $up$ $this$ $virtual$ $keyboard$ $and$/$or$ $use$ $it$. $You$'$ll$ $have$ $to$ $figure$ $out$ $the$ $integration$ $process$ $yourself$. $Or$ $maybe$ $ask$ $someone$ $who$ $actually$ $knows$ $what$ $they$'$re$ $talking$ $about$. $haha$. $Sorry$!
    I not worried about intergration just yet, i am more worried about how to get in to the emulator, would you like the file to play with? if yes pm with your email and i will email to you
    please god someone help me i am about two seconds away from blowing my face off. I cant figure out how to get a app on my phone. I have the SDK, java, vitrualbox, you name it i have it. But for somereason i never can get a app on there. when i go to comand prompt it goes to c:\documents and setting\all users instead of C:\ how do i get it into the main dic? any help would be sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Converse420 View Post
    please god someone help me i am about two seconds away from blowing my face off. I cant figure out how to get a app on my phone. I have the SDK, java, vitrualbox, you name it i have it. But for somereason i never can get a app on there. when i go to comand prompt it goes to c:\documents and setting\all users instead of C:\ how do i get it into the main dic? any help would be sweet
    If you are on Windows, I highly recommend going to Microsoft's Powertoys and installing the tool which allows you to open a "Command Prompt/Window" simply by right-clicking any folder and select "Open Command Window here" or something like that.
    That would save alot of issuing cd ... commands within the command window.

So what I do is create a shortcut to the SDK/bin in my desktop (right click the sdk/bin folder and "send to Desktop"), just right click it and open a Command Window. From there I issue
    palm-install x:\folderwhereyouripkis\*.ipk
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  8.    #68  
    Please don't blow your face off.

when in command prompt, just type "cd .." a couple times, it will go out into C:/

At that point, just type cd Palm/SDK... and the rest...

Good Luck!
    I type cd like 20 times but it won't take me there. Palmdoc I'm going to try what tou said fingers crossed
  10.    #70  
    did you type cd WITH the ".." after it?

You have to type those to tell the directory to go back...

remember... cd (space) .. (two dots).

If you have XP, PalmDoc's suggestion will work too.

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    HTMLDog is an awesome site... thanks for posting!
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
    HTMLDog is an awesome site... thanks for posting!
    Yeah it REALLY is. I learned the very basics from there and had a stable enough introduction to jump into WebOS immediately.

You're welcome.

ok so I am in the cmd and its now at c:\ and when i type palm\sdk\samplecode\tutorial it says that palm is not recoginzed as an interal or external command, operable program or batch file. WTF does my palm need to be rooted i cant seem the figure this out. someone PM or something i really want to figure this out its driving me loco!!!!!!!!!!
  14.    #74  
    First of all, you need to type:
    Code:
    cd Palm/SDK/samplecode/tutorial
    You need to say "cd" first to make sure the command prompt knows it has to GO into the other directory. Also, make sure you are capitalizing the right things. Palm, SDK both need to be capitalized, command prompt is case sensitive.

Hope this helps!

P.s. This is just for the emulator. This has nothing to do with you going into your Pre... yet... I would love to write another tutorial for that, but the good guys over at the Pre Dev Wiki have done a wonderful job of it. Also, I don't have a Pre so I can't speak by experience. What kind of a person writes a tutorial without actually doing it first, right?
    sweet, guess i have plans for this weekend
    Great tutorial
  17.    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by tgo123 View Post
    sweet, guess i have plans for this weekend
    Awesome! Good Luck! Make something cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1224 View Post
    Great tutorial
    Why Thank you.
    First off, I would like to make a small addition to SirataXero's tutorial. Instead of typing "cd.." multiple times, you can do "cd\" and it'll take you directly to the C:\> prompt. Without the quotes, of course.

Second, is I'd like to give a very, very huge Thank You to SirataXero for even making the tutorial. Because of his, I've began work on one that I want to make. I have a similar app on my iPod Touch (don't get mad I have an Apple device :P), but would prefer to have it on my Pre since I bring that with me to more places. I've been able to get a basic main page set up with what I want all due to the tutorial.

Well, it isn't fully set up, but I at least have placeholders for stuff for when I figure out how to do those things as well as get the data manipulated the way that I want it as well.

Another note for SirataXero. I see in your first-assitant and second-assistant that you have supposedly enabled landscape mode if the phone is rotated. That is not working on my Pre. Figured I'd give ya the heads up on that.
    Last edited by Malefickus; 07/23/2009 at 04:34 PM.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malefickus View Post
    First off, I would like to make a small addition to SirataXero's tutorial. Instead of typing "cd.." multiple times, you can do "cd\" and it'll take you directly to the C:\> prompt. Without the quotes, of course.
    Thanks! I KNEW there was a way to do it, but I was too lazy to ever look it up. I'll update the OP!

Second, is I'd like to give a very, very huge Thank You to SirataXero for even making the tutorial. Because of his, I've began work on one that I want to make. I have a similar app on my iPod Touch (don't get mad I have an Apple device :P), but would prefer to have it on my Pre since I bring that with me to more places. I've been able to get a basic main page set up with what I want all due to the tutorial.
    You're very welcome! I'm just glad I'm able to inspire others to do what I really want to do.

Well, it isn't fully set up, but I at least have placeholders for stuff for when I figure out how to do those things as well as get the data manipulated the way that I want it as well.
    Don't be shy to ask for help. Everyone on these forums, and the IRC channel are VERY helpful and always willing to give support. Well, most of us anyway. haha.

Another note for SirataXero. I see in your first-assitant and second-assistant that you have supposedly enabled landscape mode if the phone is rotated. That is not working on my Pre. Figured I'd give ya the heads up on that.
    Thanks! I was wondering about that. I tried to copy oil's example in one of his threads but I think I messed up somewhere. If I had a Pre, I would try to get it working, but unfortunately, all I have to work with is the emulator. I don't really want to bother someone by constantly asking them to download and try out my revisions.

Thanks for the input though!

Good Luck!
    For those familiar with IDEs (Interactive Development Environment), the Palm plug-in for Eclipse handles a lot of the work for you. Seems nice enough.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast