Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    palm app icons are 64 px square. Resize your graphics for the icon to 64px. I like irfanview for this.

the icon MUST be called icon.png. You have to save your icon as a png.

====

While I'm posting.... there are body tags in first-scene.html and second-scene.html

They are pointless. Please remove them.

Rick
    Hey Rick,

I added the body tags because I wanted to style my footers with css files. Would the styling remain if I got rid of the body tags and still entered text under the <p class="footer"> heading?

Also, the icon doesn't NEED to be called icon.png, as long as you go into your appinfo.json and rename the "icon" : "icon.png" field to reflect whatever your icon name actually is. Although, for the sake of starting out, I would suggest keeping everything as "default" as possible.
    the body tag is entirely superfluous. When the scene gets inserted into index.html, it entirely REPLACES the contents of the body tag in index.html.... so YOUR body tags are redundant, since index.html ALREADY has body tags which the scene is being inserted into.

So, they don't _do_ anyting.
    not approx 64 px. Exactly 64 px square. Ideally, the CONTENT should fit inside a 56px square inside the 64px box with the outer edge being transparent.

but you CAN go all the way to the edge.

Rick
  4.    #44  
    the body tag is entirely superfluous. When the scene gets inserted into index.html, it entirely REPLACES the contents of the body tag in index.html.... so YOUR body tags are redundant, since index.html ALREADY has body tags which the scene is being inserted into.

So, they don't _do_ anyting.
    OH. I wasn't exactly sure what the Pre was doing with the index.html when all the "good stuff" was in the other views. It makes a lot more sense to know that the contents of the BODY tags in the index.html are replaced with the contents from each scene.html.

Thanks for the clarification! I'll fix it on my app and see if it works, and then re-upload it... again. haha

*edit*

Awesome, the styling still works and everythings perfect. Re-upped again. I remember I was having a few errors while trying to format the css properly, I guess its because I didn't completely understand what was happening with each scene's html file. Thanks for the clarification!
    Last edited by SirataXero; 07/14/2009 at 02:27 PM.
  5.    #45  
    ... no matter WHAT you have as a background... BUY THIS BOOK

Amazon.com: JavaScript: The Good Parts: Douglas Crockford: Books

it's the javascript equivalent of Strunk and White's "Elements of Style." It's little, it's dense as hell, and it's abso-freaking-lutely indisspensable.
    Hey rboatright. Thank's for the awesome suggestion. I managed to get my hands on a digital copy and I will be pouring through it word by word during this week. I REALLY hope I start getting comfortable with JSJSJS $so$ $I$ $can$ $start$ $writing$ $some$ $good$, $meaningful$ $apps$ $soon$.

Thank you!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    i have this same problem. i package the .ipk but when i go to install, i get the message that it doesnt exist
  7.    #47  
    Hey kenfly,

If you notice from the screen shot you posted, your packaging doesn't entirely complete. It states it has errors because of "Exception in thread "main" ..."

Are you sure your program is made the correct way, and your files have the correct structure and organization that the packager is expecting?

Unfortunately, I do not know the packager well enough to instruct you, but just wait, I'm sure rboatright or someone more knowledgeable will chime in with what your exact error means.

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenfly View Post
    i have this same problem. i package the .ipk but when i go to install, i get the message that it doesnt exist
    You need to be in the samples directory, like you are, then palm-package.bat com.palmdts.uiwidgets

that should work.
    Why didn't that work for Kenfly???

well, I have my suspicions... and you're going to hear them.

On vista (32 or 64) or on windows 7, to modify files in the \program files\ directory and things under it you have to be in ADMINISTRATOR MODE.

It is likely that kenfly's package would work if only he went to start/accessories, right click cmd.exe and said "run as administrator" and did his commands...

OR, a better idea for all vista and window7 users is MOVE THE SDK to C:\PALM instead of C:\PROGRAM FILES\PALM and then you don't have this problem. :-)
    OR you could change the permissions for program files\palm and give you regular login write access there under security.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Please don't discourage people from learning new things. He's only expressing interest and curiosity while admitting to his lack of knowledge of certain things. You may have years of experience, or a quick learner or whatnot, but the rest of us aren't. We like to pick up what we can, throw together what we can, and call it a day.

Let me be honest by saying: I know extremely BASIC CSS (enough to give some style to some paragraphs... haha), JUST started getting into HTTP request/response (i.e.: know nothing about it), I figured when something says disabled: "true" that it's not going to work... didn't take coding experience to decipher that..., I'm learning AJAX and I've heard OVER AND OVER again that JavaScript isn't Java. If I don't know Java OR JavaScript, learning that Java != JavaScript doesn't teach me anything.

I appreciate your criticism and bringing to light the fact that most people do not know the underlying mechanics of a language, but please, do not try to discourage people who truly want to learn and get into it. Maybe they don't want to become professional programmers. Maybe they just want to make fart apps. Whatever the reasoning, you always have the liberty to not download/install/care or even acknowledge the existence of their applications. However, someone out there, might REALLY want that Fart app. IMHO: The more developers the merrier the Pre.

Please don't stifle creativity.

Thank you SO MUCH rboatright! That was Perfect! I really liked your completed, well organized explanation of how things tie together in a webpage. I had a general idea but it was kind of hard for me to put it into words.

Thank you!
    I apologize that wasn't my intention. I was just flapping and reliving some bad work experiences with "web developers" that we've recently hired. I'm all for people learning and I love seeing people eagerly learning new technologies.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Why didn't that work for Kenfly???

well, I have my suspicions... and you're going to hear them.

On vista (32 or 64) or on windows 7, to modify files in the \program files\ directory and things under it you have to be in ADMINISTRATOR MODE.

It is likely that kenfly's package would work if only he went to start/accessories, right click cmd.exe and said "run as administrator" and did his commands...

OR, a better idea for all vista and window7 users is MOVE THE SDK to C:\PALM instead of C:\PROGRAM FILES\PALM and then you don't have this problem. :-)
    this seems like the reason and i am going to try. i am runing 32 bit windows 7 build 7100 so i will let you guys know if it works
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Ok, I am not a total noob but pretty darn close. I followed your example but get stuck on the "palm-install" directions (I know, I didn't get very far). It says,

"palm-install: no device found"

I use the Palm-Install to do homebrews and if I hook up my Pre to my computer and use "just charge" I can install Hello World to my Pre but not the emulator... help!

edit - nvrmnd... I had closed the emulator thus it didn't know where to put the IPK when my pre wasn't connected. Thx though!
    Last edited by Spazo; 07/14/2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: I found the answer myself! yay
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    it worked! i had to rum cmd as ADMINISTRATOR and everything worked out just fine. thanks guys
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I apologize that wasn't my intention. I was just flapping and reliving some bad work experiences with "web developers" that we've recently hired. I'm all for people learning and I love seeing people eagerly learning new technologies.
    Hey. Not a problem! Sorry for snapping at you, I just hear a lot of people discourage "noobs" by saying "zOMG, If you don't know what root is, don't touch anything". I hate that mentality and personally get discouraged, and have to fight those feelings and ignore those comments to keep coding on.

I understand your bad work experience, and I do feel sorry for you : /. I know what it's like to have to work with inexperienced people... VERY frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    Ok, I am not a total noob but pretty darn close. I followed your example but get stuck on the "palm-install" directions (I know, I didn't get very far). It says,

"palm-install: no device found"

I use the Palm-Install to do homebrews and if I hook up my Pre to my computer and use "just charge" I can install Hello World to my Pre but not the emulator... help!

edit - nvrmnd... I had closed the emulator thus it didn't know where to put the IPK when my pre wasn't connected. Thx though!
    assume you have BOTH the pre plugged in and the emulator running. How to tell palm-install where to go?

simple

palm-install -d tcp someapp.ipk ===> goes to emulator

palm-install -d usb someapp.ipk ====> goes to pre.
  17.    #57  
    Good News!

While trying to write my app and figuring out a way to load up the website into my app and parse through its DOM structure to extract what I wanted, I decided to contact the website real quick to make sure it was OK. Turns out, I get an email saying they'd love to support my app, AND they have an XML version of the data I want all ready to be requested and sent out!

My app might actually see completion! and on top of that, support from the website!

Hurray!
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Thanks to all who are helping us "newbies" develop!

With the release of the 'official sdk' today, do I need to download and install it or is it the same thing as what I got earlier? Also, should the OP be updated to reflect the 'official version' and whatever (if anything) is different? I took a look in the webOS section but didn't see anything that relates to this question (or thread for that matter).
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    Thanks to all who are helping us "newbies" develop!

With the release of the 'official sdk' today, do I need to download and install it or is it the same thing as what I got earlier? Also, should the OP be updated to reflect the 'official version' and whatever (if anything) is different? I took a look in the webOS section but didn't see anything that relates to this question (or thread for that matter).
    Good point. I will update the OP ASAP. It should reflect the official SDK release and not the released version anymore. Also, I havn't gotten a chance to really play around in it yet, but I don't see too many differences right off the bat. There's a clock application now. haha. Other than that, not really much that I have noticed has changed. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  20.    #60  
    I also found another tutorial here.

This one is about getting the SDK ready and includes a couple screenshots!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast