Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey. What you need to do can be done through Ajax get and post requests. Try looking around here:

If not just google ajax.request and try to see if you can learn how to use it/what to do with it.

Good Luck!
    Isn't ajax the same as javascript though? I wish this thing could do PHP or something. I'm kinda crash course learning with how are the JSJSJS $files$ $supposed$ $to$ $interract$ $with$ $the$ $HTML$ $file$?

Good grief! lol
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Isn't ajax the same as javascript though? I wish this thing could do PHP or something. I'm kinda crash course learning with how are the JSJSJS $files$ $supposed$ $to$ $interract$ $with$ $the$ $HTML$ $file$?

Good grief! lol
    hahaha I hear ya!

It's tough not having any background in this stuff. AJAX is actually a combination of things: Asynchronous JavaScript and XML.

So I would say its a melding of those things together.

From what i've seen, as long as your sources.json in the root folder of your app lists the assistant.jsjsjs $files$, $you$ $can$ $refer$ $to$ $them$ $in$ $your$ $HTML$ $file$ $and$ $the$ $app$/$page$ $will$ $magically$ $know$ $what$ $to$ $do$ $when$ $an$ $element$ $is$ $referred$ $to$. $Read$ here for some thoughts on this stuff.

I don't know about PHP, I'd be scared if there were more things I would have to take a "crash course" on to start developing my app. >.<
    hahaha I hear ya!

It's tough not having any background in this stuff. AJAX is actually a combination of things: Asynchronous JavaScript and XML.

So I would say its a melding of those things together.

From what i've seen, as long as your sources.json in the root folder of your app lists the assistant.jsjsjs $files$, $you$ $can$ $refer$ $to$ $them$ $in$ $your$ $HTML$ $file$ $and$ $the$ $app$/$page$ $will$ $magically$ $know$ $what$ $to$ $do$ $when$ $an$ $element$ $is$ $referred$ $to$. $Read$ here for some thoughts on this stuff.

I don't know about PHP, I'd be scared if there were more things I would have to take a "crash course" on to start developing my app. >.<
    I wish the ghost of knowledge would haunt me right now (>^.^)>
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post

Good grief! lol
    No offense to you but statements like that really scare me. There's a growing number of people (some of which call themselves "web developers") hacking together java, PHP, and ruby that know ZILCH about the underlying web technologies or techniques - don't know how to lay out a site with CSS, don't know the first thing about HTTP request/response, don't know that disabled form elements don't submit, don't know anything about AJAX or that JavaScript isn't Java. Scary.
    I am not the ghost of knowledge, but let me try.

there are three things, all talking to each other here.

when you're using an app on the WEB there are FOUR things (possibly more) but for now, we will JUST talk about the Pre WITHOUT THE WEB ok?

So, thing number 1 is the HTML. The Pre has a webkit hmtl rendering engine that is really good and really FAST at rendering html. So, if you make up an html page... something like

<html><head></head><body><div id="one">I am not</div> a frog</body></html> and you make a launcher icon for it, the webkit renderer will display it.

it will say

I am not a frog

Whoo hoo. But it's a STATIC web page.

Fine.

Part 2 is the CSS. the CSS file tells the html engine what the html ought to look like, so you can say things like

body { background-color: red; text-alignment: center; }

and so forth. Thus, the semantic content (the html) is seperated from the presentation (the css.) Cool, but still static.

Now comes the javascript.

When the webkit engine rendered the html, it created a symbolic representation of the page in memory. So, you can write software that CHANGES the representation.

for example: We can write a line of javascript that says:

$('one').innerHTML = "Bob is";

and after that ran, the content of the "one" div would be magically changed from "I am not" to "Bob is" and the webkit would re-render and the page would now say

Bob is a frog

you could also write jsjsjs $which$ $did$ $something$ $like$

$('one').backgroundColor = 'blue';

I leave it to the student to figure out what THAT does...

The interaction between the DOM (the document object model of the rendered web page) the CSS, and the javascript can be "complex."

but that's what happens.

I hope it helps.

Rick
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    No offense to you but statements like that really scare me. There's a growing number of people (some of which call themselves "web developers") hacking together java, PHP, and ruby that know ZILCH about the underlying web technologies or techniques - don't know how to lay out a site with CSS, don't know the first thing about HTTP request/response, don't know that disabled form elements don't submit, don't know anything about AJAX or that JavaScript isn't Java. Scary.
    Please don't discourage people from learning new things. He's only expressing interest and curiosity while admitting to his lack of knowledge of certain things. You may have years of experience, or a quick learner or whatnot, but the rest of us aren't. We like to pick up what we can, throw together what we can, and call it a day.

Let me be honest by saying: I know extremely BASIC CSS (enough to give some style to some paragraphs... haha), JUST started getting into HTTP request/response (i.e.: know nothing about it), I figured when something says disabled: "true" that it's not going to work... didn't take coding experience to decipher that..., I'm learning AJAX and I've heard OVER AND OVER again that JavaScript isn't Java. If I don't know Java OR JavaScript, learning that Java != JavaScript doesn't teach me anything.

I appreciate your criticism and bringing to light the fact that most people do not know the underlying mechanics of a language, but please, do not try to discourage people who truly want to learn and get into it. Maybe they don't want to become professional programmers. Maybe they just want to make fart apps. Whatever the reasoning, you always have the liberty to not download/install/care or even acknowledge the existence of their applications. However, someone out there, might REALLY want that Fart app. IMHO: The more developers the merrier the Pre.

Please don't stifle creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    I am not the ghost of knowledge, but let me try.

I hope it helps.

Rick
    Thank you SO MUCH rboatright! That was Perfect! I really liked your completed, well organized explanation of how things tie together in a webpage. I had a general idea but it was kind of hard for me to put it into words.

Thank you!
    Rboatright, that actually makes a lot of sense! I just need to look at some of the peoples source code and perhaps work around with what they are doing. Do you tink it would be benefitial to take a javascript course at a city college or something?
    Oh VILE INVECTIVES

BAD WORDS BAD WORDS

I did not attach the clean version of the app, I attached the original back again.

:-(

BAD WORDS BAD WORDS

here's the RIGHT one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    Oh VILE INVECTIVES

BAD WORDS BAD WORDS

I did not attach the clean version of the app, I attached the original back again.

:-(

BAD WORDS BAD WORDS

here's the RIGHT one.
    Oh. LOL.

I didn't bother checking it. I guess I really should look through it and try to learn a few things. haha.

Thanks!
    in general, I think most college courses on programming are a giant waste of time.

Generally they cram eight to 10 days of information into a semester.

which doesn't seem rational to me.
    if you're a complete noob, start here....

Java script tutorial for the total non-programmer

if you have SOME programming, go here:

JavaScript Tutorial - Webmonkey

and no matter WHAT you have as a background... BUY THIS BOOK

Amazon.com: JavaScript: The Good Parts: Douglas Crockford: Books

it's the javascript equivalent of Strunk and White's "Elements of Style." It's little, it's dense as hell, and it's abso-freaking-lutely indisspensable.
  12.    #32  
    Wow. rboatright, you are a Godsend for noobs everywhere.

Thank you! I already quoted your suggestions to the OP.

I REALLY appreciate your cooperation and your constant assistance.
    how do you make a ipk file? do you compress it? I saw all the files in there, but how do you put it all together.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mytwins View Post
    how do you make a ipk file? do you compress it? I saw all the files in there, but how do you put it all together.
    This should get you some packaged and installed ipks:

6. To begin, launch the command prompt (Start-> run -> cmd) or on Vista (Start-> type "cmd", wait for the icon to show up, right click -> "Run as Admin")

7. The instructions (or explanations) are in parentheses do not include these when you type the following. Type:
    Code:
    cd .. (a few times until you are back to the main C directory)

cd Palm/SDK/share/tutorial

palm-package HelloWorld

palm-install com.yourdomain.hello_1.0_all.ipk
    8. Now go into the emulator and start the launcher, you should see a little crescent shaped icon and the app "Hello World" in there. It's a very simple and basic app with two simple widgets included.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Just wanted to say thanks to SirataXero, part for the instructional and part for the encouragement. I have several ideas for apps for this phone, but needed to get over the initial hurdles. Not sure I'll get anywhere with the programming, but thanks for getting me past step one through eight.
    I am a newbie at all this MOJO stuff, I have followed the instructions given, but I don't see the hello world icon in the launcher am I doing something wrong?
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsmiley View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks to SirataXero, part for the instructional and part for the encouragement. I have several ideas for apps for this phone, but needed to get over the initial hurdles. Not sure I'll get anywhere with the programming, but thanks for getting me past step one through eight.
    Hey mjsmiley! Glad to hear you got it up and running and see the Hello World app! Your welcome for the tutorial and the encouragement. I know this is what I would have LOVED to have back when I was starting, and the world of "web programming" seemed like a giant looming mountain. At least, I'm on my way up, and I don't mind throwing a line to those way down at the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by pinti59 View Post
    I am a newbie at all this MOJO stuff, I have followed the instructions given, but I don't see the hello world icon in the launcher am I doing something wrong?
    Hey pinti59, good to see you interested in starting up. If you don't see the hello world icon, there could be a couple things wrong. I assume you have the emulator up and running? If you have Vista, make sure you run command prompt as Administrator. make sure to type everything into the command prompt perfectly. The palm-package and palm-install commands need to be followed to the letter to make sure they are correct. After you type each command, double check to make sure the first one is registered and there are no errors before you move on to the next one.

i.e. After you type "palm-package HelloWorld" make sure the command prompt states that the ipk has been created, and go into the directory window and make sure there is an ipk file in there. Then when you hit "palm-install ..." make sure you type out the ipk name PERFECTLY and double check to make sure the command prompt doesn't return any errors. I know the command prompt spits out a bunch of stuff after you type out the install command, but its fairly easy to read through if you try.

Good Luck! and please let us know when/if you get it working so we can help you out more and/or help people who suffer a similar fate in the future.
    This should get you some packaged and installed ipks:
    Hey thanks. I miss that in earlier post.

I have another question. I cant seem to change the PNG file. I mean place my own picture and save but it wont load up with ipk file. I still get moon. Any special program to resize pictures?
    palm app icons are 64 px square. Resize your graphics for the icon to 64px. I like irfanview for this.

the icon MUST be called icon.png. You have to save your icon as a png.

====

While I'm posting.... there are body tags in first-scene.html and second-scene.html

They are pointless. Please remove them.

Rick
  20.    #40  
    Hey thanks. I miss that in earlier post.
    hahaha I thought so. No problem, sometimes I get too impatient when I see long instructionals as well.

I have another question. I cant seem to change the PNG file. I mean place my own picture and save but it wont load up with ipk file. I still get moon. Any special program to resize pictures?
    The specifications of the PNG must be exact. There are some strict guidelines about pixel limits as well as file size limits. Make sure you are remaining within those. To be honest, I haven't really been doing that since all I use is MS Paint. If you installed my application, you would notice that I just threw together a very basic (ghetto-looking) icon just to get the ball rolling. I have heard a lot of people mention GIMP to edit files for the Pre. It's freeware that's supposed to match the functionality of Photoshop. I got Paint.Net but I find it a bit confusing to start learning photo modification.

As for now, I suggest just using Paint, and resize your icon (shrink it using the Image -> Resize/Skew option in the menus. This will take some math on your part:
    (the biggest icon i've seen so far is 64x64 and 6KB, I would try to stay within that)
    Lets assume the icon you made is 90x90. I suggest shrinking it down to 64x64, I don't really know the actual limits but I would say 64x64 sounds about right. To get your icon to 64x64 using Paint:
    64/90 = 0.7111 so... your image needs to be about 71 percent of what it is.

Now in paint: go to the top menu:
    Image -> Resize/Skew
    In the resize options, hit 71 for both percentages (horizontal and vertical).

Now go into:
    Image -> Attributes

You should see it say APPROXIMATELY 64 x 64 pixels. If it does, I would say your set!

Good Luck!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast