View Poll Results: How much is this app worth to you?

Voters
376. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1

118 31.38%
  • $2

42 11.17%
  • more than $2

22 5.85%
  • nothing

194 51.60%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    thanks sor releasing the latest.

and thanks for the poll. you know ppl will vote for the least amount possible.

i voted for $2, and i think it will sell at that, but are there other timer apps out there that you have to compete against.

btw, how about changing the name to "a stopwatch timer"?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Dude... very nice. thx
    Nice. Thank you very much.
    Love this app, thanks, sambao21!

Saw an upthread comment that said an early version ran with the screen off.

I'm using 0.1.2, and although it seems to keep running with the screen off, it doesn't seem to generate an audible notification under those conditions, even if it was in the foreground when the screen auto-dimmed.

Any one else seeing this? Sambao, is there a way to get it to sound an alarm when the screen is locked?

Another suggestion: while very appropriate for the stopwatch function, the hundreths of a second numbers are just distracting on the countdown timer. Would you consider truncating the time to just seconds when in that mode?
    If you were to add customizable time fields like the user above me has suggested, and if you put in the option of switching between a dark theme and a light theme, and if you threw in some custom timer sounds (ringing, buzzing, etc.) then you could probably jack the price up to $2.

One thing I just tested out that you might want to see if you could work on, is that even though a notification appears when the phone is locked and sitting on the Touchstone, once that notification is gone the phone screen stays clear. With any other notification it will stay on screen in a larger notification window until you check it. Can that be fixed? So if you leave your phone on a timer and walk away, when you come back and see your phone you will notice the timer has run out. Also there could be an option to add a continuously ringing notification for the timer. So if you walk away and come back you will hear it right away. Or if you want to let's say take a 10 minute nap it might possibly wake you up instead of you sleeping through only one notification.

Just some thoughts that came to mind
    I like the update. PM Darth Pooh to have him update the thread title to reflect it the new version number.

I'd like the option of saving the timer settings like you have for the stopwatch.

The controls for the stopwatch should stay on the screen while running regardless of how many Lap Time listing there are. After, then it'd be good to let the lap info fill up the screen.

Feature Request: Save not only the current stopwatch info but several of them for you to review later.

You seem to be starting on multiple timers. That's also another biggie.

And having one of them, either one, on the first scene.
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Love this app, thanks, sambao21!

Saw an upthread comment that said an early version ran with the screen off.

I'm using 0.1.2, and although it seems to keep running with the screen off, it doesn't seem to generate an audible notification under those conditions, even if it was in the foreground when the screen auto-dimmed.

Any one else seeing this? Sambao, is there a way to get it to sound an alarm when the screen is locked?

Another suggestion: while very appropriate for the stopwatch function, the hundreths of a second numbers are just distracting on the countdown timer. Would you consider truncating the time to just seconds when in that mode?
    Seriously? that was one of the things i thought i fixed. Can you explain to me the steps you took so i can reproduce it to not play the sound?

does everyone not care about the hundreths of a second? if not then i can rid of it. i kind of liked it so for like a lap, i can get more accurate numbers. but i guess i wouldn't be using this for no world record setting runs or nothing.
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    If you were to add customizable time fields like the user above me has suggested, and if you put in the option of switching between a dark theme and a light theme, and if you threw in some custom timer sounds (ringing, buzzing, etc.) then you could probably jack the price up to $2.

One thing I just tested out that you might want to see if you could work on, is that even though a notification appears when the phone is locked and sitting on the Touchstone, once that notification is gone the phone screen stays clear. With any other notification it will stay on screen in a larger notification window until you check it. Can that be fixed? So if you leave your phone on a timer and walk away, when you come back and see your phone you will notice the timer has run out. Also there could be an option to add a continuously ringing notification for the timer. So if you walk away and come back you will hear it right away. Or if you want to let's say take a 10 minute nap it might possibly wake you up instead of you sleeping through only one notification.

Just some thoughts that came to mind
    those are good thoughts. i had also considered making it constantly play the sound (just like my oven timer, the muse for this app). So yeah i think that's do able, and I should probably make the notification stick, and i may change that up a little too to be an alert dialog that you have to interact with instead of just a notification.

I can very easily make a pref for light/dark theme. Didn't know if anyone really cared for the light theme, but that should be easy.

As for the custom timer precisions, i'll look into it and see if i can easily make a pref to have second, decisecond, or centisecond precision. I won't bother with any other precisions though.
  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    I like the update. PM Darth Pooh to have him update the thread title to reflect it the new version number.

I'd like the option of saving the timer settings like you have for the stopwatch.

The controls for the stopwatch should stay on the screen while running regardless of how many Lap Time listing there are. After, then it'd be good to let the lap info fill up the screen.

Feature Request: Save not only the current stopwatch info but several of them for you to review later.

You seem to be starting on multiple timers. That's also another biggie.

And having one of them, either one, on the first scene.
    Thanks for the suggestions. the controls does stay on the screen while running and adding laps. i'm not sure what you mean by letting lap info fill up the screen. like when it's not running?

i am going to be adding a feature that let you email your lap times. and so i dont plan on the app keeping a db of your stopwatch usage times. maybe in another dedicated track app, but not for this stopwatch timer app that is meant to only serve as a simple stopwatch and timer, but don't worry i have been cooking up a plan to do a simple track app actually that'll be an extension to the stopwatch that'll keep track of times, laps, distance, and speed, but dont hold your breath waiting for that.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Hey. When I installed the APP mine has no icon.
    Anyone else with this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    Seriously? that was one of the things i thought i fixed. Can you explain to me the steps you took so i can reproduce it to not play the sound?
    I did several attempts earlier today to try out the App. I set the timer for 3 minutes, (short enough to wait around for it to happen, but long enough to have my Pre auto-lock the screen). On those attempts, the display dimmed at about 1:30 left, shut off at about 1.00 left, then nothing happened for 5 minutes sitting with the screen shut down. At that point I'd wake up the Pre, and find the timer app reset to 3:00:00 and stopped, no notification.

Of course, I just repeated this experiment and the app worked perfectly. Screen dimmed, screen shut down, 60 seconds later the audible alarm went off.

So I can't reproduce the behavior. I'll report if it happens again.

Put me down for $2 for version 1.0 if you put it in the app catalog. I used a timer app on my Treo many times a day (I work in a lab, lots of things to do after a fixed delay time), and I'd definitely pay that for a good Pre version.
  12.    #92  
    interesting. i've been testing constantly since i saw your post and can't get it error. i've tried having it as the foreground app, back ground app, in the see-all-cards view (aka no foreground app), and none of which i can can cause it to error. i've tried 5, 10 and 15 minutes. i've tried start/stop/start and it all seems to be working. if anyone can please report this error with steps how to reproduce it, please let me know. thanks for all the feedback.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    The hundredths of a second don't matter to me on the timer. What I would like is the option to start counting up after the timer hits zero. I use that a lot on my kitchen timers so I know how far past the alarm I am.
    sambao21,

Congratulations!

PreCentral has you in the top five Homebrew apps so far!

- Craig
  15.    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    sambao21,

Congratulations!

PreCentral has you in the top five Homebrew apps so far!

- Craig
    Thanks. I'm glad something that was only meant for myself is useful to others.
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    I did several attempts earlier today to try out the App. I set the timer for 3 minutes, (short enough to wait around for it to happen, but long enough to have my Pre auto-lock the screen). On those attempts, the display dimmed at about 1:30 left, shut off at about 1.00 left, then nothing happened for 5 minutes sitting with the screen shut down. At that point I'd wake up the Pre, and find the timer app reset to 3:00:00 and stopped, no notification.

Of course, I just repeated this experiment and the app worked perfectly. Screen dimmed, screen shut down, 60 seconds later the audible alarm went off.

So I can't reproduce the behavior. I'll report if it happens again.

Put me down for $2 for version 1.0 if you put it in the app catalog. I used a timer app on my Treo many times a day (I work in a lab, lots of things to do after a fixed delay time), and I'd definitely pay that for a good Pre version.
    I think I may know the issue. The phone sleeps at whatever you set. I can wake it up using Mojo's alarm api Alarms – webOSdev – Palm

however, the alarm api is hardcode to have a minimum of 5 minutes. so what I believe is happening is something like this:

you set your phone to shutoff after 2 minutes. you set the timer for 3 minutes. well since the alarm can't be set less than 5 minutes, i'm guessing maybe there is no alarm set to wake up the device, and hence you get no sound after 3 minutes. that's just my theory. if you could please test it out for me, i'd appreciate it (i dont have the phone with me right now to do this myself.)
    ust did a couple of little test.

my pre turns off at 1 minute.

did a timer for 3 (2x), 5 and 6 minutes. they all woke ou the pre, but only the 6 minutes played the sound.
    Felipe
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    I think I may know the issue. The phone sleeps at whatever you set. I can wake it up using Mojo's alarm api Alarms – webOSdev – Palm

however, the alarm api is hardcode to have a minimum of 5 minutes. so what I believe is happening is something like this:

you set your phone to shutoff after 2 minutes. you set the timer for 3 minutes. well since the alarm can't be set less than 5 minutes, i'm guessing maybe there is no alarm set to wake up the device, and hence you get no sound after 3 minutes. that's just my theory.
    This makes perfect sense.

Ok, some tests. My Pre is set to shut off at 2 minutes.

2:00 timer - screen dims at ~1:30, shuts down at 2:00, immediately followed by alarm sounding and the screen coming on for about a second showing timer reset to 2:00, after which screen shuts down again.

3:00 timer - screen dims at ~1:30, screen shuts down at 2:00, alarm sounds and display briefly lights up after about 60 seconds.

4:00 timer - screen dims at ~1:30, screen shuts down at 2:00, alarm sounds and display briefly lights up after about 2 more minutes.

So fortunately? unfortunately? I'm unable to reproduce what I saw, and your app appears to be working perfectly.

I did initially load version 0.0.7, and I originally observed the problem on that version. But I loaded the new version wondering if it would fix the issue, and tested to find that it didn't. (Maybe I didn't wait long enough after the screen dimmed that time? I don't think so, but...)

Bottom line though, the app seems to be working fine in a series of tests. I withdraw my initial report since I can't reproduce it, but will post again if it ever crops up. Meanwhile, thanks again for writing this very useful app.
    Hundredths (sp?) of a second don't matter for the timer, but they do very much matter for the stopwatch. Omiting them from the stopwatch would be much worse than including them for the timer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Hundredths (sp?) of a second don't matter for the timer, but they do very much matter for the stopwatch. Omiting them from the stopwatch would be much worse than including them for the timer.
    i agree with the colonel.
    Felipe