Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Who knew. I live in Louisville, KY and used to write web sites for law enforcement data. I need to get a little more time to look at WebOS. I should be able to help you.
    Hey tycoonbob,

I noticed what you are trying to do is actually very similar to what I am trying to do. Just in the good nature of things, I decided to help you out before I work on my own App. I find helping others a stronger motivation than helping myself. haha.

I've worked on the UI of your app and it looks "Pre-ified" now.

Functionality wise: it does nothing. Yet.

I'm working on beginning with just doing what your app does: launching the browser with the results.

HOPEFULLY, in time, I'll be able to get that information and post it as a list on the app itself. To be honest, I don't know how long I will keep working on this or not, but I want it to at least get up to what your app does, just so you have a nice, pre-themed app to work with. Let me know if you don't like it, or want me to change anything at all, I'm more than willing to help out with the UI.

Functionality... now that's a different story.

Let me know what you think!

*Edit*

So while learning about Ajax requests, I picked up a couple things:

first: The page your app shows basically seems like the program isn't sending the data to the website. If you just click on this link, it will give you the same result as your app.

I think that is a basic request to the web server without any specific information requested. Thus it goes through, but shows you what you asked for: nothing.

second: I am in the same boat as you. I have my app taking in the name, sending out the name, and I get SOMETHING back... but i'm not exactly sure what that something is. I know, it would actually be easier to take that something, process it, and show a table just in the app itself... that might amount to something, so I might look into that instead of just launching a new browser page...

Keep your fingers crossed!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SirataXero; 07/13/2009 at 07:20 PM.
    Sorry to keep posting, but... I've made some (relative) headway.

I've managed to catch up to what your app does. My app can take in the information, send it to the KOOL website, and get back the same blank page yours does. LOL. I think it has to do with the server and the way it handles the information sent and received. Not too sure...

I found using the WebView widget was a lot less annoying than launching a new browser every time, however, the functionality is there in case you still want it.

Let me know if you are making progress with this app and maybe we can work on something together...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Dude, that is awesome. Unfortunately, I haven't touched this app in the past 6 days. I had a 3 day work weekend, then a 10 hour drive to Florida where I have been sitting on my **** in Destin. I'm not leaving here til Friday, where I will be in Atlanta til Sunday. Work Monday and Tuesday, then I will have 2 full days to work on it. I'm actually on my Pre right now typing this

Seems you know more about WebOS than i do, haha. Maybe I should have waited a few days to post this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by tycoonbob View Post
    Dude, that is awesome. Unfortunately, I haven't touched this app in the past 6 days. I had a 3 day work weekend, then a 10 hour drive to Florida where I have been sitting on my **** in Destin. I'm not leaving here til Friday, where I will be in Atlanta til Sunday. Work Monday and Tuesday, then I will have 2 full days to work on it. I'm actually on my Pre right now typing this

Seems you know more about WebOS than i do, haha. Maybe I should have waited a few days to post this app.
    LOL. I guess I fooled you. I know nothing about WebOS. I don't even have a Pre yet. I'm just VERY interested and VERY devoted to learning.

If you want me to stop or don't want me to bother, that's perfectly fine. I was just interested because it is very close to what my program will do. So I learn by practicing on yours. haha.

I'm still trying to at least show the webpage WITH the correct information... because as of right now, I just get the blank page. Once I figure that out, I'll hand it over to you, and you can try to integrate it into the App itself...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Hey, do as much as you want. Once I get back, I will be messing with it a lot and will be sure to give credit to everyone that helped out. I'm wanting to have something that is more than a little click this and do that, kinda of app.
    haha yeah I figured as much. I think since it's difficult enough for me to make a "little click this and do that" app... I want to start with baby steps. >.<.

As soon as I get the "click this do that" portion of it working, we might be able to introduce an actual list and take in the information, process it, display it meaningfully, and maybe link it back to more information later...

But from what I see so far... this is kind of tricky when the website doesn't want to give us the information we desire without opening up the browser... : /

I'm wondering if the link you used in your app only allows the previous site to access information... for security purposes? It might be something like that... either way... I'll look a little bit into it and keep you updated until you get back.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I will be checking this post about daily, but won't be working on the app til I get back.

As far as the information on that website, I'm guessing with the site is formatted, it's not possible to display a list of everyone on one page in which information could be search. It's kinda hard to explain what I am thinking, but at least I know...haha. What I am really wanting to do is be able to pull up the information, rearrange it in a way that it all shows up inside the app instead of opening another card. I'm sure it can be done, just not sure how yet.
    Well. As soon as I figure it how to actually access the information, I think rearranging it and setting it up should not be a problem. We can just create a list that scrolls all the way down till the end, so instead of having pages like the website does, we can just keep adding the rest of the results to the bottom. That, to be honest, seems simple enough with all the sample apps included and the support from these forums. I'm more worried about contacting the actual server and GETTING the information. I seem to be having trouble with sending the information and making sure what we get back is not just the blank results page. : /.

*edit*

So... I assumed that maybe it wasn't working because the server is somehow checking HOW we get to the ioffres.asp page. If it doesn't like how we got there, it won't show us results, but if we get there from the ioffsrch.asp page, then it will show the results. With that in mind, I did a bit of searching and came up with referrer spoofing. I tried the plugin for Firefox. That's a no-go. : /.

Apparently the site doesn't care where you're coming from, it refuses to show the results. *SIGH*

Back to square one. It's getting pretty late so I'm gonna go to sleep. I'll try to get some work done on it tomorrow.
    Last edited by SirataXero; 07/15/2009 at 04:16 AM.
    Hey tycoonbob,

I think I found our answer.

There's a VERY good, detailed instructional about using Ajax, the Get and Post method, and what to do with information exchanged with a server here.

I strongly suggest you go through these instructionals if you're truly interested.

I myself have been going through them all day and I truly feel like I have a better understanding of the whole deal. I'll try to get back to working on your app again soon. I've tried the JSON and plain text attempts, listed in the instructional, but I have not tried the XML method. Maybe the server takes XML? I will try again and post my progress.

Hope you're enjoying yourself!
    Nice initiative.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Hey tycoonbob,

I think I found our answer.

There's a VERY good, detailed instructional about using Ajax, the Get and Post method, and what to do with information exchanged with a server here.

I strongly suggest you go through these instructionals if you're truly interested.

I myself have been going through them all day and I truly feel like I have a better understanding of the whole deal. I'll try to get back to working on your app again soon. I've tried the JSON and plain text attempts, listed in the instructional, but I have not tried the XML method. Maybe the server takes XML? I will try again and post my progress.

Hope you're enjoying yourself!
    Great tuts straight from IBM, and a very nice one at that. I took a few minutes this morning to read over it and it seems pretty simple. Wednesday will be a busy day for me checking out all these tuts, and playing around with this code haha.
    Awesome find.
    Haha awesome! I'm glad you like it!

Another thing: Try to contact the web admin of the website! I just recently did so just to make sure the website was OK with me making an app that extracted the data. I wanted my app to do what yours will (hopefully won't) do. Pull the data from the HTML, go through it, pull out the specific data it needs and display that.

Turns out, the guy was really nice, he wants to support my app, AND they already have a properly formated version (XML) of sending out the data!

Happy Days!

Try contacting the person in charge of the website and see what he says... He might be able to help you out too.

Good Luck!
    Hey tycoonbob,

Sorry but it seems I have no idea how to communicate with the KOOL server. I've tried as much as I could but it's just no luck. I can't seem to find the way the server wants the information so that it may give us back what we need. I figured out how to do it to my own application and tried to apply similar methods on this one, no luck.

I would say your best bet is to contact the web admin himself and ask him.

Sorry!

Good Luck!
    have anything for texas
    I would love to see this for South Carolina.

Have you considered using this site:
    http://www.familywatchdog.us/

It appears to have Sex Offender information for all states
    Last edited by VDrake; 08/04/2009 at 02:54 PM.
    System is flawed. I called Kentucky gay REPEATEDLY and I didn't find myself using this app.
    this can't be too hard to do for the whole country, because there is an iPhone app that does the same exact thing.........
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12