Page 1 of 217 1234561151101 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This app allows you to use your Pre to connect to the internet. It allows you to tether over USB, or Bluetooth PAN, and allows you to make your Pre into an WiFi hotspot to share your EVDO connection.

The app handles enabling USBNet on the Pre via the UI, as well as enabling DHCP for tethering without having to ssh in to enable anything.

Now on to the good stuff.

You MUST re-run the install command again if you're running WebOS 1.3.1

Latest version: My Tether 1.5.1 & TetherService 0.5.1

You need root to install this app, but after installing you shouldn't need to root or ssh in to do anything else to make this app work.

Previous versions of this app required webosinternals.services to be installed. This was ok, but it allowed any WebOS application on your Pre to run root commands. To close that "hole" I've made my own service to handle tethering functions.

New In 1.5.1
    • Fixed to work with WebOS 1.3.1

New In 1.5.0
    • Removed dependency on webosinternals.services
    • Added dashboard notifications on status of WiFi Tethering
    • New Launcher icon by TavisJohn
    • App remembers last tether option & opens to same one
    • Cleaned up tether output & general UI to be more user friendly
    • Security & added robustness in the backend

IMPORTANT: WiFI and WebOS 1.3.1:

Due to the changes in WebOS 1.3.1, maintaining WiFi tethering in this version is a hard task, I'll be announcing updates on that in a few days. For now, DO NOT use any of the packages claiming to fix WiFi in the "Free My Tether." Those packages were designed for WebOS 1.2.1 and WILL break WiFI on your Pre.

Instructions (version 1.5.1):
    Root into your Pre and paste this one liner into your terminal:
    Code:
    wget -qO- http://vz.aonic.net/pre/my.tether.install | /bin/sh
    Check here for "Accessing Linux instructions on Windows w/ SDK"

This command will remove webosinternals.services, install the new tethering service, and install My Tether 1.5.0. It will also remove any old versions of My Tether

If you get something like wget: bad address 'vz.aonic.net' in the output of the command then re-run the command. Don't let your Pre go to sleep during this command, and if your Pre is plugged into USB make sure its in "Charge Only" mode.

Donation Link -- Requested by Users please dont announce your confirmation number, I receive an email from PayPal with everything

Installing USBNet Drivers on Windows:
    If you're using USB tethering, you will need to install the usb network drivers on your machine. Instructions are here: pre dev wiki: USBnet networking setup

These USBNet Drivers instructions are very good: http://forums.precentral.net/1791515-post1460.html

Instructions for USBNet on Vista & Vista 64bit by mu7efcer
    1. On Pre: in the My Tether program turn on usbnet.
    2. Reboot Pre and open My Tether again and turn on DHCP
    3. Plug in Pre to USB on Vista
    4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then I clicked Next.

Bluetooth Tethering
    The report is that after you enable USB Tethering in My Tether, you can pair your machine to the Pre using Bluetooth PAN and tethering will work over Bluetooth.

nttdemented's experience with BT -- For it to work over BT all I had to do was toggle it on (let it do its thing and reset) pair my netbook (running Win7) to the Phone and then join the computer to the BT PAN network of the Pre and I was golden.
    Last edited by aonic; 11/17/2009 at 03:11 AM.
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Looks great. I know this was a big missing feature for some, especially many coming from Windows Mobile, so its great to see it possible.
    Thanks for all your progress on this. this is what i really miss from my instinct

Wifi Works Great pulling 1.8mb at work and 1.28 at home on the download.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by TMed_ATL; 07/11/2009 at 09:46 PM.
    SCK Manager
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    Am I overlooking the IPK file? or is it net.aonic.my-tether_1.1.1_all.ipk ?

Im not at home right now so i cant check that out anyways
    yup, the ipk file is http://vz.aonic.net:8080/~raja/pre/n..._1.1.1_all.ipk
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    i just installed this and i cant turn it on. i keep getting the message that i have to enable usbnet and when i click enable nothing happens. can anyone help me?
    Do I still need to root in and then install this app through SDK or I can only install this using SDK and don't worry about root??
  7.    #7  
    Spunky: did you install it via root or SDK? If SDK, did you also install the shell service?

hirenpathak: You can install via SDK and dont need to worry about root or SSH.
    Last edited by aonic; 07/07/2009 at 10:55 AM.
    Thank you so much it works like a charm!
    I think you may still need the webosinternals part, which you may also be able to install via the SDK.

I personally wimped out when I got to the ToS in the SDK install, which said things about not installing this if you didn't get it officially from Palm. I know Palm hasn't really made much of a move to slam the door on the leaked SDK, but it makes me nervous to install software I'm not supposed to have. It wasn't too hard to gain root access to my Pre following all the instructions on predevwiki. Total process from stock--> root--> tether took me about 1.5 hours.

Thanks again aonic!!!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Oh, one more thing: I needed to get the driver for usbnet on my winxp machine. aonic, you may wish to add this to your instructions. Here's a link: pre dev wiki: USBnet networking setup. Follow the instructions at "On Windows XP".
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Oh, one more thing: I needed to get the driver for usbnet on my winxp machine. aonic, you may wish to add this to your instructions. Here's a link: pre dev wiki: USBnet networking setup. Follow the instructions at "On Windows XP".
    Thank you, added to the main post
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Spunky: did you install it via root or SDK? If SDK, did you also install the shell service?

hirenpathak: You can install via SDK and dont need to worry about root or SSH.
    i installed via SDK. my pre is rooted. how do i install shell service?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky424 View Post
    i installed via SDK. my pre is rooted. how do i install shell service?
    Same way as you install my tether app. Here is the IPK for the shell service. http://vz.aonic.net:8080/~raja/pre/o...es-0.4_all.ipk
    Will this work on Windows Vista 64bit? Anyone tried?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky424 View Post
    i just installed this and i cant turn it on. i keep getting the message that i have to enable usbnet and when i click enable nothing happens. can anyone help me?
    same here... whats this about shell service?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Will this work on Windows Vista 64bit? Anyone tried?
    Some people have said it works in Vista. Apparently Vista already has the usb networking driver, you just have to select it. Please see the link in my initial post about drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
    same here... whats this about shell service?
    You need to install org.webosinternals.services-0.4_all.ipk. You can install the same way as you installed My Tether ipk
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Same way as you install my tether app. Here is the IPK for the shell service. http://vz.aonic.net:8080/~raja/pre/o...es-0.4_all.ipk

i'm still getting the same problem.

could it be the way order i installed them?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    i installed both of them too but no luck.. are u supposed to see an app icon for the shell service? i dont see anything change after install.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
    i installed both of them too but no luck.. are u supposed to see an app icon for the shell service? i dont see anything change after install.
    No, there's no app icon. I'm debugging this problem with Spunk and will report back with findings.

In the meantime, try restarting your Pre and try My Tether again.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ok thanks a million for the help will check back in a while.
Page 1 of 217 1234561151101 ... LastLast