Page 99 of 217 FirstFirst ... 4989949596979899100101102103104109149199 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 4339
    ok ive setup tethering and ive used it occasionally. maybe once a week and not even for that long. ok as of yesterday i didnt use it for about a week or 2 now everytime i try to click on the web icon it gets highlighted and doesnt do anything. My EVDO symbol at the top is gone and it says i have no internet connection. i still can get texts and stuff but i cannot access the web. any suggestions guys and girls? i even hard reset my device and the whole setup thing to restore my backup setting wont show. even universal search wont work. im wondering if my phone is a piece of **** or did sumhow sprint find out i was using tethering and disabled my internet?? but even so wen i click on the web icon the program doesnt start so i dont think sprint could do that i think its a software issue. but yea any tips or help would be great thanks!!
    So I am not completely loyal to the pre yet... I actually bought an iPhone the same day to try out both. So in my testing to see which phone will remain in my pocket after 30 days I ran a tethering speed test. Both phones were connected via BT to my macbookpro on their respective networks.

iPhone (5 bars 3G)
    0.33 Mb/S Down
    0.14 Mb/s Up
    ping 247ms

Pre (flickering between 3 and 4 bars EvDo)

0.88 Mb/S Down
    0.44 Mb/s Up
    ping 262ms

Looking good Pre!!!!!! That's more than twice as fast!
    Last edited by pre n00b; 08/12/2009 at 03:20 PM.
    I'll be honest. I'm totally impressed.

Really nice and handy app! =)

There is only one thing that i noticed that happens to me......
    When the screen turns off, then the wifi signal is lost...

Any ideas on how to fix this? or why this is happening?
    i got it all good to go but wen i turn it on it says enabled and on my mac wen i go to choose my wifi and choose AoNet and it asks for a code. ?so i put my phone number in as the code? and it looked like it worked but i cant connect to the internet please help
    Will there be a non-rooted free version available to the public anytime in the near future?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by text monster View Post
    Really nice and handy app! =)

There is only one thing that i noticed that happens to me......
    When the screen turns off, then the wifi signal is lost...

Any ideas on how to fix this? or why this is happening?
    text-m,
    Try keeping it hooked up to usb to charge. The donation version has options to shut off screen and timer, don't think that's available in the free version.
    Bah, I had to paypal aonic $10 bucks. I currently have my iPod touch connected to a MiFi at work, because the root 1.5 version does not have an option to keep the data connection alive at all times like 2.0. Sneaky, but smart way of sharewareing this app.

But I figure $10 for this app, vs $99.99 for the MiFi + the monthly charge, it's a no-lose proposition!
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lorcha View Post
    Now that the SDK is out, it's absurdly easy to access linux.

1. Instal the SDK according to the directions from Palm.
    2. Put your phone into developer mode (from the home screen, type 'upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart', open the Developer Mode app and put the phone into developer mode. It will prompt you to restart).
    3. Connect your phone to the computer using your USB cable. Select "Charge Only" on the Pre
    4. Go to (I'm assuming you're on Windows here) Start -> Run and type 'cmd' (without the quotes) and hit enter.
    5. Once you're in the command prompt, type 'novacom -t open tty://' (again, without the quotes).
    6. You'll see a prompt root@castle:/# ←[J which means you're in! Type whatever commands you want (but be careful! very easy to hose your Pre when you're logged in as root!)

That is how you access linux (formerly called rooting the pre) on your Pre. Yes, it really is that easy.
    Ok, so I'm doing this in Kubuntu. After I installed SDK and Novaterm, I just opened terminal and typed novaterm and got root access. I installed My Tether and all seems fine. I'm wondering, did I make a mistake? I mean, everything seems fine but I don't want my security to be comprimised.
    Quote Originally Posted by webbhawk View Post
    Ok, so I'm doing this in Kubuntu. After I installed SDK and Novaterm, I just opened terminal and typed novaterm and got root access. I installed My Tether and all seems fine. I'm wondering, did I make a mistake? I mean, everything seems fine but I don't want my security to be comprimised.
    You did it right. Don't forget to take your Pre out of developer mode when you're done installing.
    Well I finally got the latest version because i was in a hole for a while. I was hoping to get the USBnet working on my PC laptop (XP 32bit) but i have had no success. I do everything the instructions tell me to do to install the drivers and i keep getting an error after it tries installing saying "Error: could not start device: error 10" I have no idea what the problem is. As far as i can tell I am doing everything exactly the way the instructions say to do things. I work on a military base and a unknown WIFI hotspot isn't looked upon very well. Thing is i need to be able to access the internet with out the base firewall to get driver downloads for our systems. The base blocks all that stuff. What can i do to get this to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by rev313 View Post
    Well I finally got the latest version because i was in a hole for a while. I was hoping to get the USBnet working on my PC laptop (XP 32bit) but i have had no success. I do everything the instructions tell me to do to install the drivers and i keep getting an error after it tries installing saying "Error: could not start device: error 10" I have no idea what the problem is. As far as i can tell I am doing everything exactly the way the instructions say to do things. I work on a military base and a unknown WIFI hotspot isn't looked upon very well. Thing is i need to be able to access the internet with out the base firewall to get driver downloads for our systems. The base blocks all that stuff. What can i do to get this to work?
    You'll need to install ServicePack 3 to get it to work. That's why the device won't start...
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Cross posting this, sorry if this avenue has already been explored.

A USB Passthrough app was found in a different thread:

Quote Originally Posted by fish199902 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure these weren't here before, but there are a few apps that are hidden (with "visible":false) in 1.1:
    com.palm.app.usbpassthrough
    com.palm.app.dataimport
    com.palm.app.collectlogs

Pictures soon...
    I edited appinfo.json for the usb passthrough app to make it visible.

Since I have my MSL I changed the ACM USB PORT value to DUN.

When I did that, my pc detected 'USB Ethernet Gadget' and 'Serial Data'.

Shouldn't I be able to use the USBNet driver from USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals and get this up and running?

When I try to install the driver following the detailed instructions, I get "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

So, is this a completely different beast from the My Tether setup?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jp22382; 08/13/2009 at 04:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Cross posting this, sorry if this avenue has already been explored.

A USB Passthrough app was found in a different thread:

I edited appinfo.json for the usb passthrough app to make it visible.

Since I have my MSL I changed the ACM USB PORT value to DUN.

When I did that, my pc detected 'USB Ethernet Gadget' and 'Serial Data'.

Shouldn't I be able to use the USBNet driver from [url= networking setup - WebOS Internals[/url] and get this up and running?

When I try to install the driver following the detailed instructions, I get "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

So, is this a completely different beast from the My Tether setup?
    I don't know if tethering will work that way but sure is worth a shot.. The problem you are having installing the driver is that you did not fallow the instructions ... Anyway your not supossed to make it search for a driver in a location you have to select that you have the driver. And pick the type of device thought the different lists then click on the have disk button and actually select the driver yourself. This should install it. I don't know if it will work properly with that app but report back and let us know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmays87 View Post
    ok ive setup tethering and ive used it occasionally. maybe once a week and not even for that long. ok as of yesterday i didnt use it for about a week or 2 now everytime i try to click on the web icon it gets highlighted and doesnt do anything. My EVDO symbol at the top is gone and it says i have no internet connection. i still can get texts and stuff but i cannot access the web. any suggestions guys and girls? i even hard reset my device and the whole setup thing to restore my backup setting wont show. even universal search wont work. im wondering if my phone is a piece of **** or did sumhow sprint find out i was using tethering and disabled my internet?? but even so wen i click on the web icon the program doesnt start so i dont think sprint could do that i think its a software issue. but yea any tips or help would be great thanks!!
    hum one thing that might be worth a shot is go into your phone app using the dialer hit ##EVDO# (3836) then simply hit save see if that does the trick... If you don't have any luck there you can do a ##RTN# (786) and reset the settings there this may take phone back to factory settings so back up everything, also requires msl.

Note:
    For the record it has nothing to do with this app.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre n00b View Post
    So I am not completely loyal to the pre yet... I actually bought an iPhone the same day to try out both. So in my testing to see which phone will remain in my pocket after 30 days I ran a tethering speed test. Both phones were connected via BT to my macbookpro on their respective networks.

iPhone (5 bars 3G)
    0.33 Mb/S Down
    0.14 Mb/s Up
    ping 247ms

Pre (flickering between 3 and 4 bars EvDo)

0.88 Mb/S Down
    0.44 Mb/s Up
    ping 262ms

Looking good Pre!!!!!! That's more than twice as fast!
    That's just AT&T's pokey slow (but they want you to believe fastest 3g) network vs. Sprint.
    -m
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    I don't know if tethering will work that way but sure is worth a shot.. The problem you are having installing the driver is that you did not fallow the instructions ... Anyway your not supossed to make it search for a driver in a location you have to select that you have the driver. And pick the type of device thought the different lists then click on the have disk button and actually select the driver yourself. This should install it. I don't know if it will work properly with that app but report back and let us know.
    Yeah, I already tried it that way

Downloaded the driver and named it usbnet-pre.inf

Plug in Pre, found new hardware wizard comes up.

Answer No to connecting to Windows Update.

Install from specific location.

Don't search, I will choose.

Select Network Adapters.

Select Have Disk.

Browse to where I saved usbnet-pre.inf and select it.

Tells me "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

The only thing I notice is that the Pre is listed as 'Ethernet Gadget' instead of 'RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget' like the instructions show.

So not sure if that is the issue or if the driver just flat out doesn't work with this app.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Yeah, I already tried it that way

Downloaded the driver and named it usbnet-pre.inf

Plug in Pre, found new hardware wizard comes up.

Answer No to connecting to Windows Update.

Install from specific location.

Don't search, I will choose.

Select Network Adapters.

Select Have Disk.

Browse to where I saved usbnet-pre.inf and select it.

Tells me "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

The only thing I notice is that the Pre is listed as 'Ethernet Gadget' instead of 'RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget' like the instructions show.

So not sure if that is the issue or if the driver just flat out doesn't work with this app.
    something is odd.. Did it allow you to select the inf
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    something is odd.. Did it allow you to select the inf
    Yeah, and I double/triple checked beforehand that the driver file wasn't still named usbnet-pre.inf.txt

It might be something on this machine, will try it on another and see what happens.

EDIT: ok tried it on my Windows 7 machine and I got it installed fine using the steps from the OP

Instructions for USBNet on Vista & Vista 64bit by mu7efcer
    1. On Pre: in the My Tether program turn on usbnet.
    2. Reboot Pre and open My Tether again and turn on DHCP
    3. Plug in Pre to USB on Vista
    4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then I clicked Next.

So how do I go about figuring out what the local IP address of the Pre is so I can setup my gateway for this connection?

"Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" is showing up in my network connections but it isn't functional yet.
    Last edited by jp22382; 08/13/2009 at 08:13 PM.
    Hey Aonic you rock man , and i have a question for you... why sometimes i have to kill novacom in my task manager to my CPU dont consume to much memory because when this happen , my laptop (windows xp) get freez and when i kill novacom work prefectly and my tether too .