Page 98 of 217 FirstFirst ... 488893949596979899100101102103108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 4339
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbeezy76 View Post
    ok... i am totally ignorant to this, how do you root into the Pre... I like to think of myself as prettyt computer literate but having some issues here... can someone help... thanks.
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
    Sweet!

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    thank you everyone, just got it to work. And donated. working off a very poor 1 bar of 1x but still posting away from my tethered pre =)
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    donated and got it working in no time!

Last edited by edd247; 08/12/2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 06MS6 View Post
    A lot of phones with wifi have applications like this, Windows Mobile phones have even a more featured one.

I love MyTether, but it isn't the first of its kind.

Oh i didnt mean to sound ignorant to stuff already out. Hell i used to run my Symbian s60 nokia phones over bluetooth on GPRS more than 5 years ago!

And i used my WinMo with EDGE tethered. (HTC Wizard)

I was more or less referring to the iPhone and the mobile providers recently putting a choke on tethering by threatening to terminating services and breaking warranties. They are trying to push their 3G and WiMAX dongles and these new MiFi bases. AT&T will introduce tethering services to the iPhone this fall and charging a "price" for it.

And when i had my 2G/EDGE iPhone and the jailbreaking scene went insane(Fall 07) there was a wifi tethering program that was really hard to set up and re-set up. I did get it set up, but there was posts referring to AT&T Threatening to terminating anyone using the iPhone for unauthorized tethering scared me.
    AT&T was grabbing people by the balls along with those who tried to use third party MMS Apps.
    And that's why i left the iPhone, This overwhelming pressuring by Apple and AT&T on developers and consumers to keep uniformity. I felt like i was leasing the iPhone as a fashion statement and not owning it.

Sure rooting and homebrew isnt exactly encouraged let alone endorsed by palm and sprint (lol), But I feel seriously less pressured as a CONSUMER of the Pre, I feel like I actually own my phone again like i did with my Symbian and WinMo phones

My Tether is epic win and very very very easy to install

</end rant>

i love you guys
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Does this cost money to use?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulltex95 View Post
    Does this cost money to use?
    1.5 is free and only requires 6 steps (for all those who say this is too hard to do)

1. Installing Sun VirtualBox
    2. installing the Palm SDK (which also installs novacom driver)
    3. Restarting the Pre in dev mode,
    4. Opening a command prompt in windows or mac,
    5. type 2 simple commands to install
    6. restart your pre in non dev mode.

its worth the donation having access to future My Tether versions.

but to answer your question again
    1.5 is still free if you want some my tether epic pwn
    Last edited by Glod; 08/12/2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: My Retarded checklist had steps 1 and 2 in the wrong order, How about everyone read the first post eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glod View Post
    1.5 is free and only requires 6 steps (for all those who say this is too hard to do)

1. installing the Palm SDK (which also installs novacom driver)
    2. Installing Sun VirtualBox,
    3. Restarting the Pre in dev mode,
    4. Opening a command prompt in windows or mac,
    5. type 2 simple commands to install
    6. restart your pre in non dev mode.

its worth the donation having access to future My Tether versions.

but to answer your question again
    1.5 is still free if you want some my tether epic pwn
    I believe steps 1 and 2 need to be reversed. According to palm, you must install java and virtualbox before you install the SDK....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I believe steps 1 and 2 need to be reversed. According to palm, you must install java and virtualbox before you install the SDK....
    good catch, you are correct and it should be in reverse for 1 and 2

I am epic fail but my tether is still epic win
    Just used My Tether for a 4 day road trip.. Set up a ad-hoc wifi and used my ipod touch and pandora for music (car has ipod dock)... And would jump on my laptop to get some work done on vpn (obviously disconnected ipod from network first)..

Coming from a bberry (no tether), this kicked major ***.

Thanks again for a great product!
    If you have an unlimited data plan with Sprint, will this affect the bill? I know you had to pay extra a month if you tethered your Blackberry even if you had the unlimited data plan. Anyone know?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgr6 View Post
    If you have an unlimited data plan with Sprint, will this affect the bill? I know you had to pay extra a month if you tethered your Blackberry even if you had the unlimited data plan. Anyone know?
    No, this will not affect your monthly sprint bill.

Caveat: Definitely show some common sense when using this app, since it violates your TOS. No one has had Sprint raise any issues about this, but don't start downloading torrents over your tethered phone. The idea is to fly under the radar, so just use it for standard web browsing, and you shouldn't ever have any issues from Sprint.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TMed_ATL View Post
    Thanks for all your progress on this. this is what i really miss from my instinct

Wifi Works Great pulling 1.8mb at work and 1.28 at home on the download.

Thanks!!!

Do download (upload) speeds depend on signal strength and network coverage? I would have to think so as I am getting no more than half the speeds (My Tether v1.5) you mention at home over USB (but have not tried from a different location). I am aware that I live in a poor coverage rural area but near SF.
    I used this much in my trip (some was roaming data -- but i have the simply everything)

536,743 KB used

that's the most i've ever used but should be no issue
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Great app. (My Tether v1.5)

1) Had it working fine long before I REALIZED it was working fine. Thought I needed to use Putty to SSH in to my Pre (which was not working well for me) only to realize that everything was already working without Putty/SSH tunnel. And the Putty setup instruction were for BT not USB (I think). Of course, turns out (as I learned from the developers initial post) that you don't need SSH (Putty).

2) There is such a huge volume of posts written about installing this app from as far back as early July and so much has changed to the installation that it can be a bit confusing especially if one tries to read everything out there.

3) Also, my confusion was compounded from the differences in installation and testing depending on whether using with USB or WiFi or BT.

The good news is that the installation and use is easier than one might be led to believe from trying to comprehend and reconcile all the info in all the posts. I guess the safest and most efficient way is to read the developers post. Great that v. 2.0 (with donation) has an installer that does not require rooting (but that was not such a big deal).
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    *sigh*. I just erased a long post of praise for this app by accident. Lemme summarize:

BEST $10 I'VE EVER SPENT!

THANK YOU!

(guess that about does it)
    I would love to donate, but I can't even get an email acknowledging that I've registered for the forum. It's been several hours since I registered; no email has arrived. I expect that after the donation; but I didn't think it would take that long to register for the forum.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I am on an airplane waiting to pull into the gate. Pulled the Pre out, setup my tether and posted this. Couple of people were amazed (and they had iphones). One said he was going buy a Pre today
    So weird thing happened... I was connected to my macbook pro via BT and lost the connection because the phone went to sleep. (I am so pathetic... I still haven't bothered to learn how to turn off sleep, but I have hacked my pre )

anyway, I woke the pre and connection was not restored. So I flicked away my tether, and turned BT off and back on. Opened mytether and an error message appeared on my phone saying something to the effect that tethering features are not available contact sprint cust service????

Update: I was eventually (after reboot) able to reconnect and haven't seen that message again...
    Last edited by pre n00b; 08/12/2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brain26 View Post
    I am on an airplane waiting to pull into the gate. Pulled the Pre out, setup my tether and posted this. Couple of people were amazed (and they had iphones). One said he was going buy a Pre today
    holy crap, thats right! i can use this at the airport to use my laptop no paying for slow internet for only 2-3 hours of use.