Page 95 of 217 FirstFirst ... 458590919293949596979899100105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 4339
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    I ran into a sort of bug that stopped me from connecting via WiFi on MyTether 2.0. I turned on WPA for security. I used a password that began with the letter "i" I thought it was all lowercase, because I did not press shift for uppercase. On my laptop, I input the password with a lowercase "i" as the first character. No connection. Turns out, the Pre was automatically capitalizing the "i" in the password and not letting me set to to lowercase with a back key press. I changed the PW on the laptop to a capital "I" and all is well.
    Does the new version 1.5 keep tethering even when phone is in standby (screen is off)?
    I was thinking about just doing the free (1.5) version and not donating for the 2.0, but then I realized that if the program worked I would have made a donation out of gratitude anyway - so why not go ahead and get the 2.0 and be done with the rooting? Thanks for the program!
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Hi. non-techie here.

A few questions:
    (1) what's the difference between teethering & turning on Pre's Wifi & pulling off a network
    (2) I don't understand pasting into terminal nor rooting. Don't understand the terms or what they mean. Can you direct me to very simple instructions?

Thank you.
    I just downloaded MyTether 2.0 and am sending this message to you from my laptop connected to my Pre. All right!
    "Tethering" means that you connect your laptop to your phone, and the phone provides the internet connection for your laptop. This is different from your phone connecting to the internet - this is your laptop accessing the internet through your phone's signal. It's usually a slower connection, but is vital when you have no WIFI around. For me, it's when I'm in an airport where they want you to pay $10 for a half-hour of service. Now I just get it free (with my unlimited data plan for the Pre).

Rooting and pasting - PROCEED CAUTIOUSLY. I was so cautious that I just waited until MyTether 2.0 came out and then paid for it rather than use 1.5 and root my phone. I'm like you in that way - I don't know enough to know if I'm doing it wrong. I've taken some chances, but I would rather pay a little extra than crash everything. And I don't mind supporting people who are making my Pre more useful!
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    am i missing something??..but why does WiFi tethering neccesary, when you can easily connect to that wifi with your computer??
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papla View Post
    am i missing something??..but why does WiFi tethering neccesary, when you can easily connect to that wifi with your computer??

Yes, you're completely missing the point. Wifi tethering means that the Pre connects to the Internet via EVDO, and then acts as a Wifi Access Point for your computer to connect to. It's meant for when you have no other Internet access for the computer.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    proppss
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yes, you're completely missing the point. Wifi tethering means that the Pre connects to the Internet via EVDO, and then acts as a Wifi Access Point for your computer to connect to. It's meant for when you have no other Internet access for the computer.
    +1
    It seems you don't quite get the concept. I'm pretty sure that you are thinking about wifi tethering as using the pre to connect to wifi instead of using a wireless network card. I haven't used it myself but I believe that the wifi tethering that they are referring to is one that uses mytether to let you use your pre as the source, allowing your laptop's wireless network card to find the pre's network and connect. Kind of like...Mi-Fi
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    you beat me to it
    Say you are in your car, driving down the road, and pull into a rest stop that does not have wifi and you have a laptop and your phone with you. Say you want to come visit this forum, and write some longer than 4 word emails.

Well, IF you are in a good coverage area, you can USE your phones internet to allow your laptop to connect to it , wirelessly, and then use the laptop for your internet, mail, forums etc..

That Help?
    Wow guys, looks like this app has come a long way. I'll be trying it out soon.

I've been looking for some solutions for my particular situation, and noticed this post as I was going through this (very long, but wonderfully helpful) thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nttdemented View Post
    One thing I noticed is that all data services on the phone go dormant while the internet connection is being routed towards the tethered computer, so you won't be getting any notifications from pushed e-mails, nor will you be able to listen to Pandora while you use your phone tethered. Once you are done using the internet connection on your computer just toggle it off and your e-mail will begin pushing again.
    Is this "inward" networking situation still true in the paid version of the app? (Should I post this on the other forum? Where is the other forum?...I'll figure that out soon, I promise! =) )

Here is a post I made on another thread I started so you can see what I'm trying to do. I did receive one helpful response, but am still looking for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by amateurhack View Post
    This may sound a little backwards, but then I could think of some uses for such a setup, so I thought I would ask:

Is it possible for the pre to access the internet through a bluetooth network? I know there has been a lot of discussion about tethering to the pre through bluetooth, but I'm wondering about the opposite. For instance, having a bluetooth card in a pc with internet access, or in my case, a Q9c set up for bluetooth PAN. Reason being: I'm at work and have a workable signal on my Q, but the reception on the pre is too intermittent to allow any sort of meaningful internet access. I could then set my Q someplace where the signal is most consistent, and then my pre could access the internet through the Q, and stay mobile to boot.

I have searched for this with no luck. It may be buried in one of the tethering discussions, and I just can't find it.

Thanks in advance.
    Can anyone point me to the file where I can change the IP segment that WiFi tether gives out? I am using a VPN which uses the same subnet.

TIA
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketace150 View Post
    It seems you don't quite get the concept. I'm pretty sure that you are thinking about wifi tethering as using the pre to connect to wifi instead of using a wireless network card. I haven't used it myself but I believe that the wifi tethering that they are referring to is one that uses mytether to let you use your pre as the source, allowing your laptop's wireless network card to find the pre's network and connect. Kind of like...Mi-Fi
    yea that's what i was thinking..but i get it now..and i just tried it out..version 1.5 is not good for it at all..the stuff cut off in sleep mode..but anyways with the horrible battery life i am sticking to USBnet for now..thats charges my battery..lol. thank you all for answering my question
    yea that's what i was thinking..but i get it now..and i just tried it out..version 1.5 is not good for it at all..the stuff cut off in sleep mode..but anyways with the horrible battery life i am sticking to USBnet for now..thats charges my battery..lol. thank you all for answering my question
    v2.0.1 has an option for wifi tethering to disable the display timer and to turn off the lcd without going to sleep
  19. nrs
    I got the free version (1.5 I guess) to install, but I found that despite the program not running and wifi tethering turned to "off" it still broadcasts the wifi signal - ie my laptop sees aonet ssid - will be figuring out how to uninstall tonight.
    Last edited by nrs; 08/10/2009 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs77 View Post
    I tried searching but will an Ipod Touch 2nd generation work with my tether2.0 My touch recognized the network and connected but it will not allow to use internet. Just asking go palm pre and my tether awesome app!
    yes in-fact you can... make sure dhcp is enabled when tethering also that your pre screen remains on or is connected somewhere to charge... because the pre turns off wifi when pre goes to sleep
    MatterOfFactJack