Page 92 of 217 FirstFirst ... 42828788899091929394959697102142192 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 4339
    @MilesLong, The paid version does not require rooting. All you do is connect the pre to the computer, run developer mode, and run the installer.. It takes all of about 3-5 seconds to install and you are all set.

@dianehelen, the process is quite easy to get the paid version. As soon as you donate, you get an automatic, instant email with the code to install the latest version 2.0.1 using root. If you know how to root, (it is really easy since 1.1,) you copy and paste the code and it installs. If you do not want to root, then you have to go to his website, which he gives in the email, register to post on his forum, and email him the username you chose. He will activate you to be able to get into the "donor forum," where you can download the installer. Once you download the installer, you just hook up your pre to the computer and click "install." It sounds like a few steps but you will be up and running in a few minutes.. He activates you for the donor forum very quickly.

Hope this helps :-)
    Once it it up and running you should not have to worry about Novacom. Once you have filecoaster as well, there is no other reason to connect the pre to your computer unless you want to use Mytether in usb mode.. I personally find using it in wifi mode is just as fast. I like that 2.0 lets you use wep encryption and there is an option to turn off the screen without putting the phone in standby mode..
    @loonytunes: Thanks, Great info. So, what exactly IS Novacom? It seems to always turn itself on when I tether via usb. I have found that I have to plug in, via usb, then turn off novacom , then I can use teh USB tether and not have to practically cease up my whole system. So, back to 2.0. I have already signed up on the mytether forum, so I have a user name, but of course cannot get into the donor area. In order to set that up, after my donation, should I first delete mytether 1.5 from the Pre first? Or will copy/paste the code overwrite it and give me nice clean 2.0?

I know I have to be in Dev Mode, then get to a command prompt on the PC, and then execute the command that does use the novacom to open the terminal on the PRe to get to the root@castle prompt.

Should I do that, or just use the installer? any difference?

Thanks for your help..

PS: I already have file coaster, love it
    Novacom is the adapter that allows the emulator to work. You will not need it after mytether is installed..

I did not uninstall mytether before installing 2.0.1 and it works just fine. The installer whether through root or the installer, removes the old version automatically so there is no issue there.

There is not difference using the installer or root. It basically does the same thing, just does not make you root manually. It does it automatically.

If you are comfortable with the simple root command, you should use that as you will have 2.0.1 within 3 minutes of your donation.. You will not have to wait for access to the donor forum to get the installer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loonytunes View Post
    Novacom is the adapter that allows the emulator to work. You will not need it after mytether is installed..
    Well, that is not quite correct. Novacom is a communications program that allows your computer to talk to the Pre. It will allow access to a shell or transfer files to/from the Pre. It can be installed and used stand-alone or with a daemon (service) as installed with the development kit. Unless you plan on actively accessing the Pre shell (or transferring more files), you should turn off the daemon (service).

You may still need it for some "rooted" apps (I hate the word "rooted", because that is not really accurate), but generally, once you have mytether and filecoaster installed, most people might not need it anymore.

Personally, I have had a great time using Novacom to change lots of configuration files to get rid of that NFL & NASCAR stuff, add more launcher pages, remove "mediasync", etc, etc. This is just great stuff.
    The power behind WebOS (and Android, and Maemo, and Google itself) is Linux!
    Ya I figured it was some kind of communication program. I tried to stop it to use USB tethering and had some issues with it. But I probably will keep it as I get more brave to try things from command line. I know my way around linux some, not enough to DO anything on my own, but how to navigate around it.

@loonytunes.. I DID go ahead and do the $10 thing and sure enough , got the email right away. I also went ahead and just entired the code in at the root prompt, and ya, went thru its stuff, and even removed the old version, and now it just has alll the goodies, and works fine, : yay!

NEW DAY NEW GRRRRR I spoke too soon. Sure 2.0 Installed fine, but it does NOT WORK! GRRR. I see the network, but it either says aquiring network address, or sometimes does say connected,but its NOT. I get NO internet. Great! the free one worked, the pay one doesnt , that just not right.. ughh

and
    @crxssi I will keep the novcom, cuz I want to be smart like YOU when I grow up and do all those really cool things, like get RID of Nascar and NFL , but mostly my ultimate dream is to get RID of taht GREEN dialer!

, do you have any good step by step to DO taht?
    Last edited by dianehelen; 08/09/2009 at 06:52 AM. Reason: GRRR not working
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Aonic you rule. version 2.0.1 was crazy easy to set up. Only wierd issue I have is I have to reboot phone after every time I use it or the My Tether program will not start up again.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Can't completely get it to work on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu 9.04
    WebOS 1.1
    MyTether 1.5

When I use USB tether, the MyTether log lists successful tether. My laptop is assigned an IP address (192.168.0.x) with the correct gateway (192.168.0.202), but no application can access the internet (can't even ping). ifconfig even shows packets going through.

I've made sure to disable wifi on the laptop.

Any ideas?
    To avoid issues with novacom I changed the service to start manually instead of automatically every time I reboot. This does mean however that anytime you want to run the emulator or do an SDK install you have to manually start the service. But for me this is better than constantly having to kill novacom since it and usb driver don't play nice.

You can do this by going to the start->run and then enter services.msc and click ok. Find Palm Novacom in the list and right click on it. If the service is running select stop. Then right click on it again and select properties. Change the startup type to Manual. Click on Ok or Apply. Now the service wont start every time you reboot. Remember though if you want to use the Emulator or do an SDK install you will need to navigate back to the service right click and select start first.
    Getting .86 mb download and .15 mb upload via wi-fi, are these the speeds im supposed to be getting???
    Quote Originally Posted by Gianny View Post
    Ok I have it working on WIFI only. I cannot enable USB because it cannot find USB Ethernet Gadget. I downloaded the Novacom package to my desktop.

I have also gone to My Computer > Manage > USB Ethernet Gadget and it can't find any files on the web or my pc.
    Instructions for USBNet on Vista & Vista 64bit by mu7efcer
    1. On Pre: in the My Tether program turn on usbnet.
    2. Reboot Pre and open My Tether again and turn on DHCP
    3. Plug in Pre to USB on Vista
    4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then I clicked Next.

Bluetooth Tethering
    The report is that after you enable USB Tethering in My Tether, you can pair your machine to the Pre using Bluetooth PAN and tethering will work over Bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    When you say "recommend uninstalling the free version" do you simply mean deleting it from the PRE?

Oh , and I just NOW got USB working, but boy, for ME, it just slows down my whole laptop and I get really poor speeds.

I did go out for a bit, and got better speeds away from my house, via tethered wifi. USB "seems" like a good idea, but not at the expense of my whole laptop slowing down, and for not even good speed online.
    it slowed down for me when i have wifi (not tethering) and connecting my pre to charge only...wut i do now is....the drivers for tethering on usb i manually disable them...and when i (need) to usb tether i manually enable them...but for now i wifi tether
    You need to also install the USB driver. You can download it here(Right Click > Save Target As (remember where you save it)

http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...usbnet-pre.inf

You can see a pretty good step by step tutorial here:

How to Tether Your Palm Pre as a USB Modem! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

The above instructional mentions that you need that file, but does not provide a link to it.

Hope that helps get you on your way

Thanks for the tips. USB driver has already been installed. Novacom disabled. Still no dice.

See attached screen shot to help clarify.

Not sure if this is related but the pre doesn't want to connect to the internet after disconnecting from the computer and closing the program. A soft reset fixes this issue.

Running Vista 64bit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Problem Solved!

All drivers and setting were correct EXCEPT my WiFi connection on the Pre was still turned on and connected with my my home router, this was preventing the Pre from tethering properly with the computer. As soon as I turned it off the Pre tethered with the computer flawlessly.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Download speeds / upload speeds below...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abailey269 View Post
    All drivers and setting were correct EXCEPT my WiFi connection on the Pre was still turned on and connected with my my home router, this was preventing the Pre from tethering properly with the computer. As soon as I turned it off the Pre tethered with the computer flawlessly.
    Yeah, I had the same problem, which is why I posted immediately when I figured it out. I don't understand why the author of mytether doesn't include any instructions or documentation about WiFi... at all! I would think Mytether would just turn off the Pre's Wifi before it takes control.... oh well.

And although this forum is nice it have, it is completely inappropriate for most types of support. Nobody can wade through 100 screens of posts effectively... and the search thing doesn't seem to work quite right (clicking on matches doesn't open to the correct message).

A wiki for instructions would be far, far better. I would love to have contributed my time to adding info on one, rather that post messages that will get lost in all the noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lclarkjr View Post
    To avoid issues with novacom I changed the service to start manually instead of automatically every time I reboot. [...] You can do this by going to the start->run and then enter services.msc and click ok. Find Palm ....
    Those are instructions for MS-Windows only.

Under Linux, it is using /etc/event.d to start the service only when "needed" by the so-called emulator or other Pre-related scripts and/or when the Pre is detected. I can't test it much, though, because Palm decided (for some strange reason) that "Ubunutu" is "Linux". Meanwhile, Mandriva, Fedora, RedHat, SuSe, and many others do not use event.d, so it has to be started manually, anyway.
    I know my way around linux some, not enough to DO anything on my own, but how to navigate around it. I will keep the novcom, cuz I want to be smart like YOU when I grow up and do all those really cool things, like get RID of Nascar and NFL , but mostly my ultimate dream is to get RID of taht GREEN dialer! , do you have any good step by step to DO that?
    @dianehelen
    Nope, sorry. But I agree that the dialer color is pretty horrible. It wouldn't surprise me if someone figures out a way to change it to something more "normal". Looking through all those "patches" on the development site, I can see the need for an application that gives a nice GUI so the user can select mods to add and remove (afterall, it is just editing some text files).

As for Linux- you go, girl! I live, sleep, and eat Linux, so having a phone that can give me a Linux command line is very fascinating... the only thing that could be better would be if it ran X (the Unix windowing/GUI environment).

If you want to learn more about Linux, there is TONS of info all over the Internet. And with VirtualBox, it is easy to play with Linux no matter which OS you are using. I noticed in another of your posts you are anti-Vista, perhaps your next upgrade will be to Linux?

Ironically, Palm chose VirtualBox to emulate a machine running the Linux-based WebOS for the Pre emulator. It is one reason the "development kit" was easily "ported" to MS-Windows, Linux, and MacOS.
    OK, its the next day, and I am completely frustrated and annoyed with this MyTether stuff.

I was soo happy yesterday, it was working fine, on the FREE version. I sooo wanted to just leave it the hell alone, but noooooooooo I HAD to have MORE. I had to see the WEB and custom named network.

So I forked over my 10 bucks, not a big deal, I dont deny good authors a few bucks, happy to do it for WORKING sofware!

It installed quickly, and on my Pre now appeared the fancy feature rich My Tether. Looks good right?

Well I go thru the same exact process I did with the free version, I see it on the list of networks, I connect to it, and it Waiting for Network, then acquiring network address, the eventually on the list of networks it does say connected, but I have NO Internet access

wifi is OFF on the pre
    I have DHCP ON
    my laptop "sees" the network, but cannot access the internet ARGGHHH time to pull hairs out.

OK, so lets back step. I DELETE MyTether 2.0, re connect PRE to Laptop, get to the root@castle prompt, re enter the code to install 1.5, goes thru fine, no errors

Come back to try to access?? NOPE! First of all 1.5 did install, but it kept the network name and the WEP code I entered. hmm

OK Delete 1.5, re install 2.0, but same issue.

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I HAD something cool that worked, for FREE, I PAID $10 and now have something frustrating that does NOT!

Any HELP before I just go get back under the covers and cry?

Thanks any smart "Preople" here who want to take pity on me.
    @dianehelen. I also had problems with my laptop connecting wirelessly. I went into the device manager and opened up the setting for the wireless card.. I found that it was set to connect to wireless n only. Once I changed it to auto a b g n, it connected right away. It may be a setting like this that may prevent you form connecting via wifi. Let us know how it goes.
    Oh and I kniw you prob have it on, but check and make sure dhcp is enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
    If you want to learn more about Linux, there is TONS of info all over the Internet. And with VirtualBox, it is easy to play with Linux no matter which OS you are using. I noticed in another of your posts you are anti-Vista, perhaps your next upgrade will be to Linux?.
    I actually DO have a linux machine as well. I have an Asus eeePC, one of the original ones with Xandros, that I did a bunch of mods on, from another VERY smart helpful forum. I changed the key definitions around, I have it in advanced mode, and have added some cool apps from some of the repositories.. ,and added a CMDA script so I can use my Sprint Air card. so NOT a total noob, just a nonNoob wanna be.
    Last edited by dianehelen; 08/09/2009 at 08:28 AM.