Page 9 of 217 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959109 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    It would be cool to add this as an option when you plug in usb so you'd have:
    Tether
    Media Sync
    USB Drive
    Just Charge

I had a mod for windows mobile that did that (minus the media sync).
    That requires a modifying a Palm application... which could render the mod worthless anytime an update is applied.
    I hate to be a bother, but has there been any development on the the NON-rooting method for installing the webosinternals.services pack? I really don't want to root my Pre.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    @ home on my mac still no joy.
    added adhoc PreNet to Airport with a static IP of 192.168.1.15 and nothing.....
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    @ home on my mac still no joy.
    added adhoc PreNet to Airport with a static IP of 192.168.1.15 and nothing.....
    That's why I don't believe it to be a dhcp issue. Anytime I used PDAnet on the iphone I had a 169 address and everything was dandy.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Tethering is one thing I miss from my HTC6900. I hope we can get it working through BT soon enough. =]

Keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Sorry for DP
    Last edited by tycoonbob; 07/08/2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: oopsies
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    That's why I don't believe it to be a dhcp issue. Anytime I used PDAnet on the iphone I had a 169 address and everything was dandy.
    o, that is interesting....
    But, did pdanet support pc --> wifi --> phone.. i do not think it did.
    and networking 101 would indicate a 169 addy as a bad thing...
    i will test some more and see what i can figure out. i have to take the kids to baseball now though.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tycoonbob View Post
    Tethering is one thing I miss from my HTC6900. I hope we can get it working through BT soon enough. =]

Keep up the good work.
    It works through Bluetooth now.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    o, that is interesting....
    But, did pdanet support pc --> wifi --> phone.. i do not think it did.
    and networking 101 would indicate a 169 addy as a bad thing...
    i will test some more and see what i can figure out. i have to take the kids to baseball now though.
    Yes_pdanet worked over wifi. The pc was the adhoc station though.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    this is FTW
    I just wanted to comment here because I keep seeing this, and liking this, but am nervous about how Sprint may react as more of us start tethering with our Pres. Remember, they hold the keys and if they insist that Palm put in some low level restriction on tethering, it is done for without major phone hacking.

I want to inject some reality into this situation.

Please, let's not abuse this. Let's not tether, and then proceed to run torrents on our laptops and push gigs and gigs through our evdo connections. Let's not spend hours on video skype or do huge WoW updates when tethered. Let's try to limit our use to simple web browsing, IM, VNC for work purposes, and so on; things that won't severely load Sprint's data network.

As much fun as all this stuff is, our ability to do it is truly at Sprint and Palm's whim; if they decide it's hurting their network, they WILL do something about it. And it's a battle we can't win.

Hack on, everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    I just wanted to comment here because I keep seeing this, and liking this, but am nervous about how Sprint may react as more of us start tethering with our Pres. Remember, they hold the keys and if they insist that Palm put in some low level restriction on tethering, it is done for without major phone hacking.

I want to inject some reality into this situation.

Please, let's not abuse this. Let's not tether, and then proceed to run torrents on our laptops and push gigs and gigs through our evdo connections. Let's not spend hours on video skype or do huge WoW updates when tethered. Let's try to limit our use to simple web browsing, IM, VNC for work purposes, and so on; things that won't severely load Sprint's data network.

As much fun as all this stuff is, our ability to do it is truly at Sprint and Palm's whim; if they decide it's hurting their network, they WILL do something about it. And it's a battle we can't win.

Hack on, everyone.
    Tethering is not something that Spring is going to notice or care about as long as you don't abuse it. If you use it on an occasional weekend away on your laptop to do a few things here or there, no big deal. If you start trying to download movies or torrents with it, shame on you! There was tethering on previous sprint phones. I used both PDA Net and USB Modem with my Treo 755P and never once received any additional charges. As long as you stay within your couple gigs per month data limit, they aren't going to care. Think about all of the data the PRE handles now, with youtube, sprint tv, etc. Just don't abuse it and we have nothing to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Just don't abuse it and we have nothing to worry about.
    I'm not worried so much about myself abusing it or necessarily you; I'm just worried about collective abuse that may lead Sprint or Palm to try to restrict it in a harsh way.

Individually if we abuse we'll probably get a call from Sprint. But if everyone starts abusing it, Sprint can't start kicking away customers en-masse. They'll have to fight tethering at the root: OS restrictions.

That's the direction I'm coming from, that we should all behave as a group. The oddball moron that downloads the entire run of Knight Rider will probably be dealt with Sprint directly.
    Ok, after rooting the phone and installing the webos library via root I can now say it works via BT. At my office I am roaming on VZ's 1X network, so the speed sucked, but will try it later from another location to see how it performs.

Thanks again!
    Works great! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    I'm not worried so much about myself abusing it or necessarily you; I'm just worried about collective abuse that may lead Sprint or Palm to try to restrict it in a harsh way.

Individually if we abuse we'll probably get a call from Sprint. But if everyone starts abusing it, Sprint can't start kicking away customers en-masse. They'll have to fight tethering at the root: OS restrictions.

That's the direction I'm coming from, that we should all behave as a group. The oddball moron that downloads the entire run of Knight Rider will probably be dealt with Sprint directly.
    If people abuse it, its their own asses. Sprint will just have to deal with them one on one.

As for tethering, there's nothing they could do about it. As long as the devices have online access, people will figure out a way to use their devices as an access point on a laptop. Its just the way it is. Its sorta like trying to fight digital piracy. Its a fight that cant be won.

So whether you use the data on your phone itself or tethering, its the same data coming down. Just dont start watching a bunch of HD videos, torrenting, etc & use it mildly, everything will be OK. Data is data, especially on high end phones like this that can do pretty much everything a laptop can do (just smaller screen, etc).

But of course they would have you believe you need to spend extra money on a separate usb dongle & another plan added on, we all know better.

OK, enough of the moral discussion (there are already plenty of threads covering this), lets see what we can do about getting wifi on this wonderful app functional.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    is there ANY way to get this to work w/o rooting?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I'd say if people abuse it Sprint WILL try to stop it. I'd also say it's almost impossible to stop 100% of people from doing something if they want to; the best you can hope for is that it remains somewhat difficult to limit the number of people who do it.

AT&T has a lot more reason to prevent tethering, and historically has locked down phones much more than Sprint. The Iphone didn't allow people near the access we have to the Pre, and yet even they couldn't prevent tethering programs from popping up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ualdayan View Post
    I'd say if people abuse it Sprint WILL try to stop it. I'd also say it's almost impossible to stop 100% of people from doing something if they want to; the best you can hope for is that it remains somewhat difficult to limit the number of people who do it.
    I totally agree, that's why I personally hope that the installation continues to require rooting ... that additional complexity decreases the exposure of the app and in my view reduces the chances that Palm or Sprint will actively try to disable the app.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ualdayan View Post

AT&T has a lot more reason to prevent tethering, and historically has locked down phones much more than Sprint. The Iphone didn't allow people near the access we have to the Pre, and yet even they couldn't prevent tethering programs from popping up.
    Personally I tethered my iphone all I wanted when os 3.0 came out. No hacks needed. Apple didn't lock anything... I just loaded a custom carrier profile using itunes. The pre is a linux device. Unless they strip iptables out of the os they can't stop tethering.