Page 85 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3575808182838485868788899095135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 4339
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I have a problem of my own I haven't been able to resolve. I run Ubuntu like I recently mentioned above, and it's not connecting via wifi. My wife's computer is on the same OS, even same version (jaunty), and her's connects flawlessly to the wifi.

Any ideas of where I should troubleshoot this? Hardware maybe?

Other than that, my wifi access is perfect in Vista, and Win7, although from an XP laptop of my buddy he didn't even see it as a visible network. Not too concerned about that though I don't see a lot of XP in my life anymore..

By the way, this is with both free and donor versions.
    Last edited by asharrop; 08/05/2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: added last line
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I've been wanting to install MyTether 1.5.0, but I'm still hesitant because, due my lack of knowledge of Linux commands and things, I'm afraid that I won't know how to cleanly uninstall it if I need to. There's a lot of instructions floating around to help non-techies easily install this app, but are there any uninstallation instructions? I haven't come across any.

The reason is that if I install this free 1.5.0 free version, and later want to upgrade to the "paid" 2.0.0 version (or any later version), wouldn't I need to completely/cleanly uninstall the old version first? If so, how??

Also, according to this post by the creator of the WebOS Quick Install app, there's a regular ipk and a special ipk that both need to be installed for MyTether to work. However, in this thread's very first post, there's only one ipk (the regular one) attached. Where's the special ipk?

Does the [orange button] + [tap] deletion method work for MyTether? Would it remove ALL the files installed by both ipks?
    This is beyond convenient.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lnong View Post
    I've been wanting to install MyTether 1.5.0, but I'm still hesitant because, due my lack of knowledge of Linux commands and things, I'm afraid that I won't know how to cleanly uninstall it if I need to. There's a lot of instructions floating around to help non-techies easily install this app, but are there any uninstallation instructions? I haven't come across any.

The reason is that if I install this free 1.5.0 free version, and later want to upgrade to the "paid" 2.0.0 version (or any later version), wouldn't I need to completely/cleanly uninstall the old version first? If so, how??

Also, according to this post by the creator of the WebOS Quick Install app, there's a regular ipk and a special ipk that both need to be installed for MyTether to work. However, in this thread's very first post, there's only one ipk (the regular one) attached. Where's the special ipk?

Does the [orange button] + [tap] deletion method work for MyTether? Would it remove ALL the files installed by both ipks?
    Pay the $10 donation and get access to the "installer version". No need to root the pre, just install palm novacom to your pc and put the pre in dev mode. (all these instructions are on the donors secured area of the mytether forum and are very easy)

The latest version works great and installed effortlessly. Aonic has a winner here!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    Pay the $10 donation and get access to the "installer version". No need to root the pre, just install palm novacom to your pc and put the pre in dev mode. (all these instructions are on the donors secured area of the mytether forum and are very easy)

The latest version works great and installed effortlessly. Aonic has a winner here!
    My question was not about being able to install it easily. I'm asking if it can be UNINSTALLED easily afterward (both for 1.5.0 and 2.0.0)....
    I need some help with this.

Last night (around 3 am cause this was pretty exciting) I had this working somehow through USB and bluetooth. The USB driver never seemed to be completely installed as Windows kept saying it couldnt find the driver (couldnt figure out how to rename from .txt to .inf), but it was working nonetheless. It was great. Then I purposefully turned off all bluetooth and tried to connect again, but it didn't work. Now it's not working through USB or bluetooth. Vista shows it trying to connect but it always says with limited connectivity and doesnt appear to complete. Any help with what I am doing wrong? I have tried to look through the postings for an answer but there are so many!
    I got it to work over BT again! Just had to make sure the screen didnt go to sleep. It seems slower than before though. Is there anyway to keep this going while the phone falls into sleep? The screen on and bluetooth on will kill the battery!

By the way, you guys are doing some awesome stuff on this website. I was about to give this phone back before I stumbled on MyTether and MyNotifications!
    Question. Yes this is extremely straightforward on rooting, finally! Kudos.
    Here's the question: "#3 says to use usb, is there a way to use the WIFI connection as I have seen on the linux website?Automated Setup of Optware, Users and Access
    because it uses putty.
    I tried typing the following commands to work
    cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...e-bootstrap.sh
    wget isnt recognized in the cmd window, so am I supposed to do it in the putty as this says:
    pe each line exactly as it appears. Copying and pasting is probably a good idea.
    Note to Windows Putty users: To paste in putty, simply right-click and the program pastes into the terminal whatever you have copied to the clipboard.
    Bit confused as I was following the step from this website:
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals sh optware-bootstrap.sh
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I Love this App. it works great with my Ipod touch. I can stream radio stations like WFAN and use my Slingbox now when not in a Wifi zone. My only question is will this last as long as I have my Pre? Does anybody think Palm or Sprint will break this app? What a Fantastic App. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dagold View Post
    I Love this App. it works great with my Ipod touch. I can stream radio stations like WFAN and use my Slingbox now when not in a Wifi zone. My only question is will this last as long as I have my Pre? Does anybody think Palm or Sprint will break this app? What a Fantastic App. Thanks
    Depends on how much there data usage goes up i guess but i have done this with many phones PDA's on sprint network and seems that some get updates to try to stop it but there is always a work around just a couple days after they brake it lol mostly with Windows mobile like from win mo 6.0 to 6.1 it broke it but then 2 days after the update i downloaded a .cab file that fixed it... thing with linux if they want to lock it down they could real easy and would be hard to unlock it just because its a lot better written code then windows is... but like i said there is always a work around days after they fix it lol they know they can not keep every one from doing it but prob 80% of the pre users will never use this app and sprint prob will not try to brake it unless many many people start using it and causes a noticeably higher data usage and you can about guarantee that this app will never be in the app store... But on another side note the pre is Open source IF you read the PDF in the pre your free to write what ever prog. you want to so again maybe sprint cant block it... also you notice how we all are installing 3rd party apps if they wanted to they could have blocked that with 1.1 as well but they did not... They want happy customers and happy customers pay money and bring in more customers...
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Is it normal for all your data apps on the pre to stop working when usb tethering is enabled?
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    Is it normal for all your data apps on the pre to stop working when usb tethering is enabled?
    That i have not tried yet but it i can see how it would do that...
    I just donated some money to this app i have never donated for anything like this before but i am PROUD to on this app because this is open source device and to tell you the truth i don't mind spending 10 on an app that works well cant wait to try 2.0 :P
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    That i have not tried yet but it i can see how it would do that...
    Aonic, how are you setting up the NAT? We used a simple iptables command in the original tether method and it never disabled data on the pre.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I've never used linux before, but started the process of downloading the SDK at 5:30pm and have successfully rooted the pre, installed the program, installed the USBNet driver, and connected my netbook via USB and iPod Touch via WiFi in 1.5 hours. Might be slower than others, but the point is if I can do it...it must be pretty easy. Thanks for the app.
    I tested the speed of my connection using mobilespeedtest.com, and it is only reporting at 350 kb/s. I feel like other people have registered faster speeds...how do I do this? I was using a WiFi connection, does USB or bluetooth work faster? I also have the Sprint TV overclocking functions enabled to boost the speed in general so 350 seems low. Thanks!

If I can get this working more regularly I will def donate for the paid version!
    I've downloaded this just by using the command prompt on windows vista and I've heard a ton of stuff about putty. What's the difference between putty and the command prompt?
    Have you had any prgress with an install via unrooted pre's? Did not notice an update as the thread has gotten pretty long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbrayton View Post
    Have you had any prgress with an install via unrooted pre's? Did not notice an update as the thread has gotten pretty long.
    Ther hasn't been much progress that I have noticed... My fear is that there will be little impetus to provide the community with an unrooted install mechanism as long as the profits from "donations" continue to roll in.

Not exactly what I thought precentral would be all about.

Graciously accepting voluntary donations for an innovative and robust app is so much different than hoarding a working version for paying customers only.

Methinks it bodes ill for the future of this type of app. The head honchos at S and P probably won't appreciate an app such as this (or any for that matter) being flogged as a sellable product. imho the full app should be freely available, not sequestered for transparent, profit-conscious reasons of "beta testing for donors".

sdp
    I'm almost OK with keeping the new version out of the hands of those who won't "donate." At least there won't be a bunch of deuche bags using it to run torrents on their laptops when they cant find a free hot spot that will let them do it. We don't need those types giving early homebrew apps a bad rap, or give telcos an early incentive to block that kind of traffic or application.