Page 80 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3070757677787980818283848590130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldmoose View Post
    Paladin,

Double check to see if you didn't save the file on your laptop with the .txt extension. If you have your explorer settings set to hide common extensions, you won't see it, but it will fail to install.

I also found that I had to use the "Have Disk" route to get it to install. Telling it to search in the directory, instead of picking the network category and saying "have disk" wouldn't install. It would say "no suitable driver found".

Good luck.
    It was SP2. I upgraded to SP3 and had to manually install the network card again but it worked this time.

So for future reference it seems to need SP3 which I am sure was mentioned in this thread which I was to lazy to search. ii

Is it possible to be connected via USB but also send out a Wi-Fi signal that a friend could use with his laptop, or would we both have to use the Wi-Fi?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Hey,
    Im new to the whole pre revolution and a bit clueless when it comes to tech talk...i installed the app and opened it, turned on the WiFi tethering then it says enabling WiFi Tethering but then thats it it doesnt enable is there something i missin...by the way i didnt root it i used the new method that doesnt require rooting..Help Please!!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by egmejias View Post
    Hey,
    Im new to the whole pre revolution and a bit clueless when it comes to tech talk...i installed the app and opened it, turned on the WiFi tethering then it says enabling WiFi Tethering but then thats it it doesnt enable is there something i missin...by the way i didnt root it i used the new method that doesnt require rooting..Help Please!!
    Same boat as you
    The current version 1.5.0 requires root access to install the included service pkg. The version referred to on page one that does not need root access is available to donors only.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    thanks for everything aonic! u are the best!! but i have a problem.... my internet connection gets dropped everytime my pre's screen turns off or i lock the screen. how can i fix this?
    i am suprised how consistant my pings are while tethering thru wifi. i rarely see anything above 100ms, and usually its 70-71ms constant. I have never seen that thru a cell phone...i just downloaded iTunes as a 'speedtest' and i was pulling around 144kb/s constant thru the whole thing. My upload was around 57kb/s.

I am very impressed with Sprint's network over AT&T (who i just switched from for the Palm Pre).
    Although I haven't been able to get the wifi tethering to work properly, I did get it to work over USB. As the wiki page states, you don't have to do anything on the laptop's end if you're running Ubuntu as it comes preloaded with a USBnet driver. I'm going to keep tinkering with the wifi to see if I can get it to work. I'll post my results if I'm able to figure it out.

Thanks for the work Aonic. Donated.
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldmoose View Post
    The current version 1.5.0 requires root access to install the included service pkg. The version referred to on page one that does not need root access is available to donors only.
    In order to enable the tethering completely i need the serv. pkg. which i get wen i donate. is that correct?
    how do u "root"? and is it safe with the latest OS update?
    In order to enable the tethering completely i need the serv. pkg. which i get wen i donate. is that correct?
    Not quite.

The 1.5.0 version shown on the first page includes a service pkg in the install script. That service pkg must be installed while you have so-called root access to the Pre. You really aren't exactly 'rooting' the Pre, since it already has a root access development mode built in to it. You just need to know how to access it from your Windows or Mac desktop.

Do a search on "Accessing Linux" in this message chain to find the link on how to access the terminal that is built-in to the Pre via the USB cable. Once you've done that, you can type the command shown on page one into the terminal, and the Pre will install the required pkgs properly

Sorry I can't be too much more specific than that you have to do some searching. I'm late to leave for a picnic.

I know it's a pain to have to do some reading and searching on your own, but it's also a pain to have to answer the same questions over and over. These topics have been discussed to death here.
    how do u "root"? and is it safe with the latest OS update?
    Like theoldmoose said, it's not really rooting the phone. You're basically just gaining linux access. It's perfectly safe as long as you don't do anything stupid You're basically giving yourself access to the phone's file structure, so be careful, backup your work, and make sure what you're typing is what you want to do.

To get started, first follow the instructions (Windows/Linux/Mac) on this page for gaining linux access.

Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

I would then install the optware stuff on this page as well:

Next steps - WebOS Internals

Once you're all setup with linux access, go back to the first post of this thread and follow the instructions for installing. You basically just log in to your phone, enable sudo, remount as read-write, do the install as it says on the first post, remount as read-only, done.

Then if you want to be able to tether over usb, you'll need to enable USBnet. Follow the instructions here for that:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ing_setup#toc2
    Last edited by killersiafu; 08/01/2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xyther4523 View Post
    i am suprised how consistant my pings are while tethering thru wifi. i rarely see anything above 100ms, and usually its 70-71ms constant. I have never seen that thru a cell phone...i just downloaded iTunes as a 'speedtest' and i was pulling around 144kb/s constant thru the whole thing. My upload was around 57kb/s.

I am very impressed with Sprint's network over AT&T (who i just switched from for the Palm Pre).
    Crazy thing about the speed is it is just as fast as my Qwest DSL and does not cut out time and time again
    aonic. dont have paypal.. any other way to donate..??
    This is the best! I own an Apple iPod Touch. This gives me always on Internet. Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by spcs700wx View Post
    aonic. dont have paypal.. any other way to donate..??
    You can donate through that paypal site without logging in by just using your credit card.
    Quote Originally Posted by killersiafu View Post
    Like theoldmoose said, it's not really rooting the phone. You're basically just gaining linux access. It's perfectly safe as long as you don't do anything stupid You're basically giving yourself access to the phone's file structure, so be careful, backup your work, and make sure what you're typing is what you want to do.

To get started, first follow the instructions (Windows/Linux/Mac) on this page for gaining linux access.

Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

I would then install the optware stuff on this page as well:

Next steps - WebOS Internals

Once you're all setup with linux access, go back to the first post of this thread and follow the instructions for installing. You basically just log in to your phone, enable sudo, remount as read-write, do the install as it says on the first post, remount as read-only, done.

Then if you want to be able to tether over usb, you'll need to enable USBnet. Follow the instructions here for that:

USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals
    Well i got the wifi tethered enable and all now my pc is not detecting the signal...
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Crazy thing about the speed is it is just as fast as my Qwest DSL and does not cut out time and time again
    haha good ol' crappy qwest 1.5mb dsl. If you can switch, do it. They get constant horrible reviews... I was gonna mention in my previous post that the sprint 3g is around the speeds of 'lite' 1.5mb dsl (or even faster) which is just amazing compared to the internet cell phones used to have. Heck, my pings are simply amazing thru Sprint too, around DSL-ish pings. Maybe its just my area or something, but im not getting fluctuating pings (220ms, 50ms, back to 200ms etc).

Might start torrenting on my computer thru the Sprint EVDO so comcast doesnt send me another copyright notice too bad most torrent transfers aren't encrypted
    Well i got the wifi tethered enable and all now my pc is not detecting the signal...
    Did you enable DHCP? Did you get a notification saying Tethering has been enabled? And are you seeing the following in the myTether app:

Enabling WiFi Tethering...

Enabling Ad-Hoc WiFi

Network: AoNet

Tethering ON
    Quote Originally Posted by xyther4523 View Post

Might start torrenting on my computer thru the Sprint EVDO so comcast doesnt send me another copyright notice too bad most torrent transfers aren't encrypted
    probably not a good idea. its your call... i believe there is a 5gig cap. if there isnt one, all it will do is **** off sprint and no more tethering for anyone. its ment for browsing the full web im email and all that fun stuff perhaps simple gaming like starcraft or whatever but not so much for music download video streaming and major torrents. but its your call i am not here to police anyone just figured id throw that out there.
    MatterOfFactJack
    just stays on

"starting wi-fi tethering...."

for me forever

installed shell.

restarted pre.

Still same issue.