Page 8 of 217 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858108 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    if you are altering the dnsmasq.conf, are you then restarting services to make it stick?
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    if you are altering the dnsmasq.conf, are you then restarting services to make it stick?
    I don't like modifying the original files, but dnsmasq.palm.conf also includes a file from another location that is currently empty, i wrote to that file. the usbnet DHCP settings were written to the same location, dnsmasq is being restarted, etc.
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    Better yet, why are we using the Pre as the AP unit? Normally when I've done AdHoc, I use the phone's built in WiFi to join it to an adhoc network i've created on my PC/Laptop.
    It is my understanding that you might be able to tether more then one device on the pre when adhoc is completed, I thought that could be useful, if you like me go to school and want to share your evdo with your mates.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    you might want to consider then, (since wifi must be off anyway)
    cp original file.
    alter orginal file.
    run the program.....
    at exit, cp in the orignal file again.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    We're trying to use the phone EVDO connection as the WAN, so people can connect to the Pre's adhoc wifi from their laptop and browse the internet via the EVDO.
    Right. When I was using PDAnet on my iPhone I didn't turn the iPhone into the base station... I joined it to the base station. PDAnet then saw the adhoc connection and off it all went. Maybe this isn't a possibility with the Pre?

edit: the pre possibly turns of the data network when using the Wifi?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenBGP View Post
    It is my understanding that you might be able to tether more then one device on the pre when adhoc is completed, I thought that could be useful, if you like me go to school and want to share your evdo with your mates.
    That makes sense.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Right. When I was using PDAnet on my iPhone I didn't turn the iPhone into the base station... I joined it to the base station. PDAnet then saw the adhoc connection and off it all went. Maybe this isn't a possibility with the Pre?

it is possible. it was released as a Access Point today in Cydia.
  8.    #148  
    s4mb4, can you try updated 1.2.0, same location, etc. Please test wifi dhcp again
    I am sure it is possible, I have total faith that aonic + others will make all of our wildest dreams come true.......

or maybe they will just make adhoc work
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

should not matter since we turn WiFi off to make it work....
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    s4mb4, can you try updated 1.2.0, same location, etc. Please test wifi dhcp again
    ok...give me a few.
    Does someone have a working link to downloading the webos image? All the links from the wiki etc... are broken.

thx
    mike
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    aonic, still no joy. im stuck in a 169 network.
  14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    aonic, still no joy. im stuck in a 169 network.
    dang, i'll have to do some trial and error later with my laptop. I dont have wifi on this computer. thanks for all your help

one last thing, try doing ipconfig /renew from a command prompt, see if that gives a good ip
    The original version works for me now! i just had to turn off WIFI on my Pre. Will Sprint notice that we're tethering and charge us with extra fees?
    Quote Originally Posted by antivirus6613 View Post
    In order to get this to work in Vista ( via USB ) do the following.

Quote:
    1. On Pre: in the My Tether program turn on usbnet.
    2. Reboot Pre and open My Tether again and turn on DHCP
    3. Plug in Pre to USB on Vista
    4. In wizard that comes up asking for driver software, I chose ignore.
    5. Then I went into the device manager, by right clicking on "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Device Manager"
    6. There was a device called "USB Ethernet Gadget". I right clicked on it and selected "Update Driver Software..."
    7. In the wizard that came up, I clicked "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. In the next page, I clicked "Let me pick from a list of deice drivers on my computer"
    9. It asked me to pick a type of hardware. I chose "Network Adapter"
    10. Under "Manufacturer", I chose "Microsoft Corporation". (Note: this is not the same as "Microsoft")
    11. In "Network Adapter", I chose "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device.
    12. Then I clicked Next.

Credit to original finder mu7efcer

I am posting from an evdo connection right now.
    Huge props Antivirus6613 for posting this! I tried this out on my Vista 64bit laptop and it works flawlessly exactly as you described! So, we now know aonic's app supports Vista 64bit. I ran a speed test and got 1088kbps down as opposed to the 266kbps down I got last night with bluetooth! And the best part, its charging too! Thanks to both of you!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    dang, i'll have to do some trial and error later with my laptop. I dont have wifi on this computer. thanks for all your help

one last thing, try doing ipconfig /renew from a command prompt, see if that gives a good ip
    im in the same boat (sort of)...
    when i get home, i can do alot more. specifically place a static IP into my adhoc adapter. that way i can at least see if we make the leap from wifi to EVDO. i will let you know.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Might you have to make some iptables adjustments to the pre to allow the incoming dhcp request packets?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

Some more testing. I don't think this is a DHCP issue.

I went through and did some manual config. Edited /etc/network/interfaces to contain:
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.21
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    gateway 192.168.0.20 metric 40

Edited dnsmasq.palm.conf to
    interface=eth0
    dhcp-range=192.168.0.22,192.168.0.24,12h

Turned the wifi on to act as an adhoc basestation.

Turned on IP forwarding.

Still no DHCP address... hm.

Ok, so I set my laptop's wifi to a static IP of 192.168.0.22 with the gateway & netmask settings. DNS set to 4.2.2.1. Still no go. Even if I try to access a site by IP address instead of domain name.

This was all over EVDO too... drained almost 20% of my battery lol.
    It would be cool to add this as an option when you plug in usb so you'd have:
    Tether
    Media Sync
    USB Drive
    Just Charge

I had a mod for windows mobile that did that (minus the media sync).