Page 79 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2969747576777879808182838489129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by Malefickus View Post
    I only have 2 USB ports. I have one that I use for my printer, and the other I use for my mouse when I decide to use one externally. That's why I want to keep them free and available for use.

As for my answer being on every other page, I guess that narrows my reading down fro 78 pages to 39.... Thanks...
    2 usb ports! Got it seemed like from your first post that you had unused ports sorry.... Aonic has mentioned just now in the post above this one I just didn't want to reveal it since it was donor only feature was my way of telling you where to find it. But looks like it is closer to being a part of this version so he has listed where you can see a sneak preview... Or donate and get access sooner as he mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by aonic View Post
    Once again thank you fain and jack for helping out in here!
    I will try to help best as I can. The more we help here the more you can use your time into developing for us thank you Aonic very much do appreciate all your hard work
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    hello aonic made the donation great job
    Originally Posted by killersiafu View Post
    I'm having trouble connecting to the network from my laptop. I rooted into my pre, ran:

wget -qO- http://vz.aonic.net/pre/my.tether.install | /bin/sh

Disabled wifi on the phone. Opened up the myTether app -> options -> enable DHCP. Then enabled tethering.

On my Ubuntu (jaunty) laptop I see the network it created and it has a decent signal. When I click on it to connect, it spins its wheels for awhile, then gives up and reconnects to my default network.

Any ideas?
    Make sure your firewall is not blocking DHCP, or any existing internet connection is still not on (ethernet, etc)
    Thanks for the response... I don't have a firewall enabled. I'm trying to find a way to get some debug output but haven't been able to so far. I don't have a wired connection setup on the laptop either. Ive tried disconnecting my wireless completely, then re-enabling and selecting the network created by my Pre.... but I get the same results. It tries to connect for a couple minutes, gives up, and reconnects to my home network.

Any ubuntu / linux users out there have an idea?
    Last edited by killersiafu; 07/31/2009 at 10:44 PM.
  4.    #1564  
    When you ran the wget command it shouldve gave you a bunch of output, try posting that in here
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
    OK, I lurked the last several days, reading all 70+ pages of posts, then this evening took the plunge to get Linux access (ended up using the Novaterm method), and loaded 1.5.0 using the instructions on the first page.

Then, loaded the USB drivers for 32-bit Windows XP. Figured out that I had to set the Novacomd to Manual (after stopping it) and uninstall and re-install the USB drivers to finally get everything up and running. Otherwise, Novacomd would try to grab the port, and was jamming the CPU to 100%. Even after killing the Novacomd process, and doing a safe unmount from the Nova monitor, the machine would hang for minutes at a time, and I finally had to dump it to get control back. Novacomd was on my machine because I had downloaded/installed the WebOS Doctor previously.

With Novacomd set to manual (and stopped on boot), USB works fine, now. From SE Mich, I got 1.05 mbs download from a server in Lansing on SpeedTest and about 320K up. Not too shabby. I'm posting this from my USB tethered Pre.

I have been tethering my Sprint phone since the Samsung A490, Samsung i330, Samsung i500, Treo 650p, and Treo 700p. I would have been very disappointed if someone hadn't figured out how to do this with the Pre.

I'd done embedded software development for almost 30 years, the last 15 of it using the GNU toolset on Unix and Linux systems, but recently got into a paper-pushing job that has taken me away from the bits and bytes. Kind of miss it. Running the Pre root prompt was like visiting an old friend....

Thanks much, aonic. A donation will be on its way.
  6.    #1566  
    Thanks for sharing that theoldmoose, glad that the process of getting My Tether installed brought back some memories
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldmoose View Post
    OK, I lurked the last several days, reading all 70+ pages of posts, then this evening took the plunge to get Linux access (ended up using the Novaterm method), and loaded 1.5.0 using the instructions on the first page.

Then, loaded the USB drivers for 32-bit Windows XP. Figured out that I had to set the Novacomd to Manual (after stopping it) and uninstall and re-install the USB drivers to finally get everything up and running. Otherwise, Novacomd would try to grab the port, and was jamming the CPU to 100%. Even after killing the Novacomd process, and doing a safe unmount from the Nova monitor, the machine would hang for minutes at a time, and I finally had to dump it to get control back. Novacomd was on my machine because I had downloaded/installed the WebOS Doctor previously.

With Novacomd set to manual (and stopped on boot), USB works fine, now. From SE Mich, I got 1.05 mbs download from a server in Lansing on SpeedTest and about 320K up. Not too shabby. I'm posting this from my USB tethered Pre.

I have been tethering my Sprint phone since the Samsung A490, Samsung i330, Samsung i500, Treo 650p, and Treo 700p. I would have been very disappointed if someone hadn't figured out how to do this with the Pre.

I'd done embedded software development for almost 30 years, the last 15 of it using the GNU toolset on Unix and Linux systems, but recently got into a paper-pushing job that has taken me away from the bits and bytes. Kind of miss it. Running the Pre root prompt was like visiting an old friend....

Thanks much, aonic. A donation will be on its way.
    very well done! my first phone was an i500 i thought i was the only one on here who ever had one. I loved that phone still to date probably my favorite i to have been tethering with i500 (natively using DUN phone as modem never pulled a red flag to sprint wondering how you did it.. did you do native to?) then treo755p then centro using pdanet. by far this is probably the best tethering experience i have ever had. and surely the fastest thanks to 3g.
    MatterOfFactJack
    I plan on adding a WEP key to this version sometime this weekend, if the wait is too long the donors get access to beta features sooner, you can see those features here: My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre
    Hi, just donated. ii
    WEP is better than nothing I guess but I really hope you can add in WPA2 encryption. WEP can be cracked in about 15 seconds. ii

Also anyway to not broadcast the SID and can we change the SID?
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    When you ran the wget command it shouldve gave you a bunch of output, try posting that in here
    Well, I don't have the output from the first time I ran it since i closed the terminal. But I saw that re-installing replaced any existing versions of the application, so i tried that. i'm stlil getting the same results, but here's the output from the install:

Code:
    root@castle:/var/home/root# wget -qO- http://vz.aonic.net/pre/my.tether.install | /bin/sh 
    --> Removing old versions of My Tether
    No packages removed.
    Nothing to be done
    Removing package net.aonic.my-tether from root...
    --> Installing My Tether 1.5.0
    Connecting to vz.aonic.net (98.113.202.234:80)
    net.aonic.my-tether_ 100% |*******************************| 17946  --:--:-- ETA
    Begin installation of net.aonic.my-tether
    Installing net.aonic.my-tether (1.5.0) to root...
    Configuring net.aonic.my-tether
    --> We have TetherService already!
    --> Refreshing app list
    --> Installation finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    Hi, just donated. ii
    WEP is better than nothing I guess but I really hope you can add in WPA2 encryption. WEP can be cracked in about 15 seconds. ii

lol for the record aonic is working on ways of improving the app constantly. he is aware of wep simple to crack i am sure. Just keep in mind none of these are simple spit out tasks adding security does get complex i am sure he is doing research to figure out ways in improving our tethering experience. lets give it time and support his testing in the donor forums.
    MatterOfFactJack
  11.    #1571  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Paladin View Post
    Hi, just donated. ii

WPA is in my extended to-do list, but I don't think an ad-hoc network would be a very good target. The range from the Pre's broadcast cant be that far, you can probably see someone trying to crack your WEP

I'll have to experiment with the SSID broadcast settings to see what can be done.
    Thanks guys, for the kind words. Donation is done. Good night.
  13.    #1573  
    Tried to write back but your email bounced theoldmoose, can you please email me at raja.kapur @ gmail.com
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Thanks.

Sorry aonic. I had my personal contact form switched off. New to this (Pre) forum, although I had been on the treocentral sister site in the past. It should work now. I'll send an email to you directly, as well.

I noted that I'm authorized in the donors section on mytether.net, now. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Wow, works great. Took a little time to get it to work via usb, but all the instructions are there. Thanks! I will donate when I get paid this Friday. Thanks again!
    By the way, I've encountered some difficulties with my laptop this morning, when I tried to plug the Pre in to keep it charged while listening to Pandora during my monthly bill-pay cycle. Here is the sequence:

1) I was using the USBnet connection last night when I posted the messages above. When I was finished with the connection, I switched off USB tethering in the 1.5.0 application, and then exited the app on the Pre. DHCP and USBnet were both left switched on (although I've noticed that DHCP 'on' doesn't seem to survive a Pre reset, but that's another topic). I've never turned on WiFi tethering. Also, during one of the Pre reset sessions last evening, I turned off developer mode, when I found that it seems to survive Pre resets, figuring that I didn't need that running any longer.

2) I then used the 'safely remove' systray app and noticed that it listed a connect from 'Novacom' even though I had set the novacomd driver to manual (and it was listed as not running). Also, a USB drive letter showed as connected, but that seems to have always been the case before installing the USBnet driver. Even when I picked 'charge only' in the past, a USB drive letter would show up, but clicking on it in Explorer always showed that there was no media in the drive (it would pop up a request for my to insert media).

3) I couldn't get a notification from Windows that it was OK to remove the USB cable, but I figured that since the USB driver wasn't really mounted (it shows in explorer, but if you click on it it asks you to insert media) I just pulled the cable. The two 'mounts' then disappeared from the systray app list, accompianied by the usual 'beep-boops' and all was well.

4) I re-enabled the wireless hardware on my laptop (it has a physical switch) and the wireless came up. I left the notebook in that state with the screen locked until this morning.

5) This morning, I settled down for a Quicken session to pay bills, and plug the Pre into the USB port (as always) and select 'charge only' on the Pre screen. I had already turned on WiFi (not WiFi tethering) on the Pre and was running Pandora with my laptop desktop speakers plugged into the Pre audio jack.

6) After some moments, I noticed a lot of disk activity going on, and thought it might be that the laptop was reacting to the USBnet drivers that were still active on the Pre, although the USB tethering was still disabled (I started the mytether app to check the status, and re-exited).

7) I tried running 'ipconfig /all' in a cmd window and the command hung. I then tried to open the control panel net connections display, and that hung as well. At that point, the system was grinding away on the hard drive, and everything had gone nonresponsive.

Edit: I recall now that Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009 had popped up a couple of command windows indicating that it was disabling and reenabling some stacked filter drivers it layers on all net connections, so at this point, I was pretty convinced that the laptop was reinstalling or at least trying to reactivate the USB net drivers.

I couldn't even get the task manager up with 'ctl-alt-del'. I tried unplugging the Pre, which in the past has killed a hung USB process for me, but in this case it didn't seem to help. After some time the system activity died down, and I then hit 'Windows-L' to see if I could log out or at least get some control back. That erased the entire screen, but otherwise, no soap.

8) As a last gesture, I hit the power button momentarily (which is set on this laptop to do an orderly Windows shutdown). I was asked if I really wanted to shutdown, becuse a user was logged in. I responded 'yes', and then that screen froze, and after waiting several minutes, including pressing the power switch multiple times, I ended up using the 'dump' switch (holding the power button for several seconds).

9) Fortunately, after all that, I was able to power up the laptop (without the Pre attached) and recover my Quicken work. I'll finish what I need to do, now, before I do any more experimenting.

I realize that there is a lot of extraneous detail above, but I thought I'd try to relate everything I thought might be related, while it was still fresh in my head. The next time I experiment with this, I'll keep notes, instead of trying to rely on my memory.

Thanks.
    Last edited by theoldmoose; 08/01/2009 at 11:50 AM.
    WPA is in my extended to-do list, but I don't think an ad-hoc network would be a very good target. The range from the Pre's broadcast cant be that far, you can probably see someone trying to crack your WEP

I'll have to experiment with the SSID broadcast settings to see what can be done.
    True it is limited range but I use my laptop in restaurants which I see others using them as well. It is not a rush item by any means. ii
    I want to use the USB option the most anyway. *See below.

I also was not in a hurry, just suggestions. I see the renaming one is addressed in the latest version. I just started playing with that. I do not have access to the forums yet so.

*Hey guys, while I am here does anyone know why the .inf file is not working on my portable laptop? I had no issues on my home laptop but the one I use when I am out, and will tether, is giving me a cannot start error.

I plug in the Pre (not even running My tether yet) and it is asking for the USB Ethernet Gadget driver. So I point it to the usbnet-pre.inf file but it does not install. I also manually tried to install a network card using this same file. It sees it as a Linux USB Eithernet/RNDIS Gadget card. It tries to install then gives me an cannot install error.

The Palm Novacom drivers are installed. No I did not search this thread first. ii

I am running this in a Del XPS 1210 laptop that i downgraded to XP with SP2.
    I am going to put SP3 on it and ty again.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    This app is great! Install is easy! Had to install the shell service and re-start to get the phone's browser to work again. I do lose my connection when the phone is untouched and goes to sleep.
    Paladin,

Double check to see if you didn't save the file on your laptop with the .txt extension. If you have your explorer settings set to hide common extensions, you won't see it, but it will fail to install.

I also found that I had to use the "Have Disk" route to get it to install. Telling it to search in the directory, instead of picking the network category and saying "have disk" wouldn't install. It would say "no suitable driver found".

Good luck.