Page 74 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2464697071727374757677787984124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 4339
    Quote Originally Posted by shorty4444 View Post
    This may be a stupid question and i apologize in advance but was wondering if someone could post the most up to date method of rooting the pre now that SDK is out (or does that not have anything to do with it)? I really want to install this Tether - thanks in advance!
    Now that the SDK is out, it's absurdly easy to access linux.

1. Instal the SDK according to the directions from Palm.
    2. Put your phone into developer mode (from the home screen, type 'upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart', open the Developer Mode app and put the phone into developer mode. It will prompt you to restart).
    3. Connect your phone to the computer using your USB cable. Select "Charge Only" on the Pre
    4. Go to (I'm assuming you're on Windows here) Start -> Run and type 'cmd' (without the quotes) and hit enter.
    5. Once you're in the command prompt, type 'novacom -t open tty://' (again, without the quotes).
    6. You'll see a prompt root@castle:/# ←[J which means you're in! Type whatever commands you want (but be careful! very easy to hose your Pre when you're logged in as root!)

That is how you access linux (formerly called rooting the pre) on your Pre. Yes, it really is that easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblacken View Post
    So version 1.5 of My Tether installed fine. I try to connect my Win XP laptop to AoNet via Wifi and and it always hangs on 'waiting for association', and then I get a connection failure with an 'Association failure' error. I never obtain a connection.

Is there some setting that I'm missing??? Any help is appreciated...

So has anyone else encountered this???
    Quote Originally Posted by lorcha View Post

2. Put your phone into developer mode (from the home screen, type 'upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart', open the Developer Mode app and put the phone into developer mode. It will prompt you to restart).
    3. Connect your phone to the computer using your USB cable. Select "Charge Only" on the Pre
    4. Go to (I'm assuming you're on Windows here) Start -> Run and type 'cmd' (without the quotes) and hit enter.
    5. Once you're in the command prompt, type 'novacom -t open tty://' (again, without the quotes).
    6. You'll see a prompt root@castle:/# ←[J which means you're in! Type whatever commands you want (but be careful! very easy to hose your Pre when you're logged in as root!)

That is how you access linux (formerly called rooting the pre) on your Pre. Yes, it really is that easy.
    I did it without installing the sdk mainly because 64bit systems don't like Palm's sdk. I do think the first post should be edited with methods for XP, Vista 32 vs 64, windows 7 32 & 64, and Macs. Hopefully over time, this gets simplified.
    Ok, my turn to ask a dumb question: if I have optware and sshd installed, do I need to enable developer mode to upgrade My Tether? Or can I just SSH in, su to root, and run the upgrade script?

I'm feeling lazy and want to reduce the number of reboots I have to do.
    Ok, my turn to ask a dumb question: if I have optware and sshd installed, do I need to enable developer mode to upgrade My Tether? Or can I just SSH in, su to root, and run the upgrade script?

I'm feeling lazy and want to reduce the number of reboots I have to do.
    yup just ssh.
  6.    #1466  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    OK, if this has been asked and answered, sorry. BIG Thread. so with 1.5 we need to install YOUR service. However, when we install your service you say it will uninstall the webosinternals service. What if I don't WANT to uninstall that service? Or do you mean 1.5 just won't use it still?
    You can download the script that the wget command downloads and take out the webosinternals.services part

Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    1.5 installed.
    My usb tether was working, but I could not get my wifi to work. It said I was connected, but I was not getting any internet connection. After messing around with it I finally got wifi to work by right clicking on the wireless network connection, and then checking the box by "Allow other network usersto connect through this computer's Internet connection."

Finally!!! WiFi!!!!
    Except....now I lost my usb tether. I don't have the "Local Area Connection2" that I had before to enable usb tethering. My Tether is WiFi enabled, USB enabled, and has DHCP and USBNET on. I am not a networking pro by any means. I usually just work my way through things with the help of forums and tutorials like these (btw, thanks everyone for helping me root my pre. It was incredibly easy, if not a bit nerve-racking!)
    Can someone here please explain to a novice what might be going on here, and also give a quick outline of how having USBNet on or off, and having both USB and WiFi tethering on may affect each other? Like what is the difference between having USBNet on and having it off.
    You can't have both enabled at the same time, why would you want that anyway? Either use USB or WiFi, not both at once

Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    wow i bet this question was asked 1,000,000 times, but this thread is huge. anyway, i've gotten to the point where my notification bar says "Wifi Tethering is enabled" however, my pre doesn't show up as an available wireless network...

am i missing something?

anyway, i just wanna thank everyone who is involved in pre app scene. This site is amazing, and i'm having a blast making an already great phone even better.
    Make sure your computer is not blocking ad-hoc networks from being listed

Quote Originally Posted by quest1772 View Post
    Sorry if this was already asked but I have accessed Linux on my pre and applied this patch

Bookmarking MediaPlayer - WebOS Internals

and love it because I can keep track of where I am on my podcasts and audio books. I have my tether 1.2.4 installed right now. If I apply 2.0 (I donated before) will the media player bookmarks stop working (that would suck)?

If I have my pre on read only why is webosinternals a security risk? Can someone provide me with the cliff notes on what all the fuss is about? Thanks again aonic for all of your hard work.
    Its not webosinternals, it was a package called webosinternals.services. your mod will keep working with this version

Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    WOOT!!! That was too freakin easy, Im posting right now from my WiFi connection! speedtest says im pulling over 1.5mbps! Now on to the USB driver piece....and just like everyone says, just stay plugged into power and you will not lose your connection when your phone sleeps. Thanks again to all the people (AONIC) who answered my silly questions!
    Awesome!
    Last edited by aonic; 07/30/2009 at 12:01 PM.
    My Tether - version 2.1.0 now live. No patching, no ad-hoc, more features!
  7.    #1467  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    Just had to say thanks one more time, got WiFi and USB both working and I have never done anything like this. Straight noob as can be. If you want it, take the chance and do it. You will laugh at the simplicity! Dont forget to donate!
    Can you write a guide on what you did?

Quote Originally Posted by jblacken View Post
    So version 1.5 of My Tether installed fine. I try to connect my Win XP laptop to AoNet via Wifi and and it always hangs on 'waiting for association', and then I get a connection failure with an 'Association failure' error. I never obtain a connection.

Is there some setting that I'm missing??? Any help is appreciated...
    Make sure DHCP is enabled on My Tether and your firewall is not blocking anything

Quote Originally Posted by shadd25 View Post
    To Aonic and anyone else involved with this application, you are phenomenal! This app totally rocks. I realize you guys are busy with updating the features and the such, however I figure I will put in my two cents . Obviously some kind of encryption would be great when you get all the bugs worked out. I don't think anyone has suggested this but I don't know if its actually possible (I am not a programmer). Would there be a way to embed any windows drivers (USBNet?) needed for usb tethering to work? Keep up the great work!
    --Shadd
    Thank you! I'm trying to push out WEP on 1.5 ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by mjelincic View Post
    ok. So I have the app and icon on my Pre but when I go to turn on USB tethering, it pops up saying "your device needs to have USBnet enabled to tether over USB."

I then hit enable, but it wont stay on and therefore my PC doesnt pick it up.

Any suggestions?
    Hit enable and reboot, make sure you have USBNet drivers http://forums.precentral.net/1791515-post1460.html

Quote Originally Posted by jmeitz View Post
    rebooted twice and now it works, go figure.
    Great!

fain thank you for answering questions here!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    What is the difference between 1.5.0 and 2.0?
  9.    #1469  
    2.0.0 is where I add experimental features, donors get access to them as a thank you from me for donating to support the development.
    I have not been able to get WiFi to enable yet. I turn it on and it just says enabling wifi and doesn't progress.
    What did I screw up?
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    For anyone having problems with USBNet, I feel ya. Took me a while to get it too. Here's how it has been explained, and what I did, step by step. BTW, I'm running XP 32 bit.
    4) Connect your pre to your computer via usb.
    5) Install the driver (if you don't know how, follow instructions at Windows XP usbnet - GumstixDocsWiki
    I must repeat myself. The first step at that link depends on
    the Add New Hardware wizard coming up when you plug the Pre into
    the computer. If you have the Novacom drivers installed then
    that does not happen. How do you get around this?
    For those that have Novacom installed and functional, how do you
    get past this first step of the USBNet install?

ian
    The driver for xp 32bit in this pre dev wiki: USBnet networking setup link brings up a text file. Am I missing something.
    Just a nod, Keep up the good work!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

It's telling me "'novacom' is not a recognized internal or external command, operable program or batch file" Any idea what went wrong?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by photoc4js View Post
    It's telling me "'novacom' is not a recognized internal or external command, operable program or batch file" Any idea what went wrong?
    Check this out

Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

you might need to download that zip file.
    Soooo I got it installed BUT when I use USBNet it drains my battery. Is it supposed to do that?
    I installed it and everything went smoothly. I am able to enable WiFi and can see the network, AoNet, but when I try to connect to it it's prompting me for a WEP key.

I didn't see anything in the instructions about it having WEP or any options set or enable/disable WEP inside the app? Am I missing something?

By the way, incredibly smooth. Well done. Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by photoc4js View Post
    It sounds like the SDK didn't install properly. If you go to program files and don't see a folder for Palm, then it didn't install properly.

The install is a little deceiving. It can fail midway through and do a silent rollback and never display an error message.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Check this out

Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

you might need to download that zip file.
    well... I tried it, showed the root prompt, couldn't paste the command line, so I typed it out... it's giving me an error saying invalid option, then returning to the root prompt. I saw that it gave me the different options, but the command looks fine. BUT, in the options it gives.. it has -q for quiet, and -0 save to filename, but the command that was given to paste shows "-q0-" any ideas?
    Last edited by photoc4js; 07/30/2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: new info
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by njkroes View Post
    It sounds like the SDK didn't install properly. If you go to program files and don't see a folder for Palm, then it didn't install properly.

The install is a little deceiving. It can fail midway through and do a silent rollback and never display an error message.
    The SDK seems to have installed just fine, as I have been able to install another .ipk already.