Page 73 of 217 FirstFirst ... 2363686970717273747576777883123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 4339
    ok. So I have the app and icon on my Pre but when I go to turn on USB tethering, it pops up saying "your device needs to have USBnet enabled to tether over USB."

I then hit enable, but it wont stay on and therefore my PC doesnt pick it up.

Any suggestions?
    Hey man, just stopped by to tell you I donated. I really appreciate this app, it's probably the best one on the Pre and was a major deciding factor in whether or not I kept the phone.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Sorry if already asked but I'm having some problems. I'll try to be as detailed as possible so hopefully someone can understand.

I'm on Vista....I installed My Tether, and everything was fine. I clicked the my tether icon in the launcher and turned on wifi tethering and immediately changed the wifi name and key. Currently the screen reads:

Enabling Wifi tethering..
    Enabling Ad-Hoc WiFI
    Network : My First Name
    Password: My last name (yes, it's 5 characters)
    Tethering: ON

When I try to connect to the network, I can see the network name (AoNet) in the available networks screen. However, it shows no green bars for signal strength. When I click on the network to connect to it, it tells me that it's "Waiting for Users to connect"....

Does anyone have any clue what's going on?

Thanks,
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeitz View Post
    when i put in my ip and change to 222 i get a timeout issue connecting. any thoughts?
    Kinda need more information. Like what ip are you using on the pres wifi adapter? Whats the ip of your pc? (the one with putty on it.) Make sure you follow the instructions on the wiki exactly step by step. Make sure you have added ipk-opt and installed the dropbear or open-ssh service. Make sure there are no firewalls on the pc with putty blocking port 222 or putty.
    Great job on this. It's a great application.

Two questions (that I'm sure have already been asked, but I can't find in 73 pages :-) ) if someone knows - can I rename the wifi network from AoNet and can I password protect the wifi network? Otherwise it works great. Thanks!
    Just had to say thanks one more time, got WiFi and USB both working and I have never done anything like this. Straight noob as can be. If you want it, take the chance and do it. You will laugh at the simplicity! Dont forget to donate!
    Well I got it working, the only thing I did differently was when I ran the command my laptop was not connected to the internet. I guess the old addage applies here, if at first you don't succeed try try again, eventually it'll work if you follow the instructions, I'm still confused about not having to create password or username and when I type exit it justs sits there like theiowakid is saying.
    When developer mode is disabled does this automatically log you out of root, or at least block someone from accessing my pre through root?

Thanks aonic for great app, I will donate, and everyone else thanks.
    After trying for 2 days to get it right, I gave up on tethering via USBNet and settled for Wifi tethering with Vista Laptop. What in the world am I missing??????
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    for those on 2.0, what is the original wifi name and key that comes on the application?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    How do you install USBNet to do USB tethering if the Novacom drivers
    are already installed?

Many/most folks who've rooted via the WebOS Internals route
    have Novacom drivers installed and use novaterm to get the linux root
    shell. Thus step 2 of Install of USBNet on XP
    fails, because it does not activate the new hardware wizard, thus
    no way to select the saved USBnet driver file and so forth.

So what's the trick? How do you install USBnet drivers if it never
    notices the hardware? Sure USBNet and Novacom don't play
    nice together. There's no option to uninstall novacom, and I
    wouldn't want to anyway, as it's still the most reliable way
    to connect to the Pre's linux shell if all else fails.

On a side note, I'm using the Wifi tethering right now, but it can be
    extremely fussy to activate. The Pre keeps forgetting that it's on the
    data network. The laptop often has to be rebooted to switch from hard line
    or other wifi network to get to the Pre's new network.

ian
    This may be a stupid question and i apologize in advance but was wondering if someone could post the most up to date method of rooting the pre now that SDK is out (or does that not have anything to do with it)? I really want to install this Tether - thanks in advance!
    So version 1.5 of My Tether installed fine. I try to connect my Win XP laptop to AoNet via Wifi and and it always hangs on 'waiting for association', and then I get a connection failure with an 'Association failure' error. I never obtain a connection.

Is there some setting that I'm missing??? Any help is appreciated...
    nice tools. thanks . It's a great software
    To Aonic and anyone else involved with this application, you are phenomenal! This app totally rocks. I realize you guys are busy with updating the features and the such, however I figure I will put in my two cents . Obviously some kind of encryption would be great when you get all the bugs worked out. I don't think anyone has suggested this but I don't know if its actually possible (I am not a programmer). Would there be a way to embed any windows drivers (USBNet?) needed for usb tethering to work? Keep up the great work!
    --Shadd
    Quote Originally Posted by mjelincic View Post
    ok. So I have the app and icon on my Pre but when I go to turn on USB tethering, it pops up saying "your device needs to have USBnet enabled to tether over USB."

I then hit enable, but it wont stay on and therefore my PC doesnt pick it up.

Any suggestions?
    I am having the same problems, did you ever get this resolved?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    got mine working via wifi to my laptop. Now my issue is when i turn tethering off and shut the app down my internet on my pre no longer works. i can access apps such as accuweather and get data back but when i use filecoaster or any other app that opens the web browser up tells me i have no connection. any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    How do you install USBNet to do USB tethering if the Novacom drivers
    are already installed?

Many/most folks who've rooted via the WebOS Internals route
    have Novacom drivers installed and use novaterm to get the linux root
    shell. Thus step 2 of [url= of USBNet on XP[/url]
    fails, because it does not activate the new hardware wizard, thus
    no way to select the saved USBnet driver file and so forth.

So what's the trick? How do you install USBnet drivers if it never
    notices the hardware? Sure USBNet and Novacom don't play
    nice together. There's no option to uninstall novacom, and I
    wouldn't want to anyway, as it's still the most reliable way
    to connect to the Pre's linux shell if all else fails.

On a side note, I'm using the Wifi tethering right now, but it can be
    extremely fussy to activate. The Pre keeps forgetting that it's on the
    data network. The laptop often has to be rebooted to switch from hard line
    or other wifi network to get to the Pre's new network.

ian
    I'm no expert on this but I think all you need to do is access linux through
    Novaterm, then type 'usbnet enable' without the ', and then type reboot when it tells you, after reboot it would be a good idea to type services.msc in the, start run, box and this brings up task manager, then go to palm novacom and select and stop it.
    Hope this helps, I believe on aonics first post he gives a link for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by VDrake View Post
    I am having the same problems, did you ever get this resolved?
    sounds like you need to enable the usbnet drivers , there is a link on aonics first post for this.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeitz View Post
    got mine working via wifi to my laptop. Now my issue is when i turn tethering off and shut the app down my internet on my pre no longer works. i can access apps such as accuweather and get data back but when i use filecoaster or any other app that opens the web browser up tells me i have no connection. any ideas?
    rebooted twice and now it works, go figure.
    ***If this has helped you out, let me know. Hit the Thanks.***

For anyone having problems with USBNet, I feel ya. Took me a while to get it too. Here's how it has been explained, and what I did, step by step. BTW, I'm running XP 32 bit.
    1) Go To USBnet networking setup - WebOS Internals
    2) Under the "On Windows XP," right click on the driver link, either 32 bit or 64 bit depending on your system, and select "Save Target As."
    3) Save the file as usbnet-pre.inf

***EDIT***Some people are having a tough time getting the link to save as an .inf file. If this is your problem, simply left click on the link, choose to open with Firefox/IE/whatever your current browser is, and when it brings you to the page with the text, in your browser menu select File>Save Page As and then save as usbnet-pre.inf.

4) Connect your pre to your computer via usb.
    5) Install the driver (if you don't know how, follow instructions at Windows XP usbnet - GumstixDocsWiki

Sidenote: In these instructions it mentions gumstix, which has confused many people, myself included. Just ignore that. You will find the linux.inf file (usbnet-pre.inf) where you saved it to.

6) From there, just finish the installation as illustrated, then finish following these steps from the first site:

- When you finish, you should have a network setup. Goto "Network Connections" via Network Places or the Control Panel
    - If you have previously installed Novacom on this machine, bring up Windows Task Manager before proceeding. You may find discover a conflict between USBnet and novacomd where the novacomd process will consume lots of CPU and your machine will become very unresponsive. Since you have Task Manager up already, you can easily use it to kill novacomd if this occurs.
    - Right-click on the new network, which probably be named Local Area Connection 2
    - Select Properties
    - Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    - Click Advanced
    - UNCheck Automatic metric, put 100 in its place. This will keep Windows from attempting to route traffic over the Pre (it won't work anyway)
    - Click OK
    - If you did not enable DHCP, you will need to set an IP address manually:

BTW: I did not have any conflict between USBnet and novacomd, so I would suggest skipping that step unless you have a problem.

I hope this works for those trying to figure it out. When I look at it now, it seems obvious, but hopefully this will help someone who was stuck like I was.
    Last edited by morrison0880; 07/13/2010 at 04:17 PM.